3/19: 4,200 infect 5/6 1,2 mil infect & 73K dead, 6/25 2.4 mil infect & 123k+ dead

BigDrop

6 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Cases declining across the South.  National deaths peaked at 50% of April highs and are now declining.  How did that happen without a lockdown?

As your friends never failed to mention earlier, the data could potentially be incomplete. That gives a false sense of security.

18 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

As your friends never failed to mention earlier, the data could potentially be incomplete. That gives a false sense of security.

Data no good now ? 🤪

DAYUM...you are gonna have to do ALOT of retractions to your earlier posts now 🤣

Better get typing...😝

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Troll said:

Data no good now ? 🤪

DAYUM...you are gonna have to do ALOT of retractions to your earlier posts now 🤣

Better get typing...😝

giphy.gif

I'm just reinforcing what you Republicans believe. I never said that I agree with the data being false. Was just telling Bormio to consider that his Republican friends said that the data is "false".

5 hours ago, Troll said:

but length was the goal of the lock downs.....🤡 remember?

you know

to "flatten the curve"...

Don't you listen to medicine?

🤡

Lockdowns don’t change the number of deaths, they just change the date on the death certificate.  Maybe that is a bit of hyperbole, but there are a bunch of states that locked down and are prime candidates for a 2nd wave.

21 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Lockdowns are meant to drag it out.  

Our problem was that we never brought it down to the baseline.

Europe, Asia, and Australia did a slightly longer and much more comprehensive lockdown than we did. Now, when the cases spike a bit they isolate the location and test the hell out of it, then lock it down for a week or two to make it subside - Australia and S. Korea seem to have that system down well.

This country was trending well for a while, but then people in the government lost patience and decided to open things up because the economy was tanking and they didn't want to harm their re election chances.

Lockdowns ended pandemic level infection rates in all the countries of the EU, all the countries that surround China, Australia, and New Zealand; they didn't merely "drag it out," they brought it down to nearly no new infections per day, NZ is on 100 days straight without local transmission - life is going back to normal for all of them.

We never even ended the first wave of this mess; with flu season nearing too.

A proper lockdown would have saved thousands and thousands of lives.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DownSouth said:

Our problem was that we never brought it down to the baseline.

Europe, Asia, and Australia did a slightly longer and much more comprehensive lockdown than we did. Now, when the cases spike a bit they isolate the location and test the hell out of it, then lock it down for a week or two to make it subside - Australia and S. Korea seem to have that system down well.

This country was trending well for a while, but then people in the government lost patience and decided to open things up because the economy was tanking and they didn't want to harm their re election chances.

Lockdowns ended pandemic level infection rates in all the countries of the EU, all the countries that surround China, Australia, and New Zealand; they didn't merely "drag it out," they brought it down to nearly no new infections per day, NZ is on 100 days straight without local transmission - life is going back to normal for all of them.

We never even ended the first wave of this mess; with flu season nearing too.

A proper lockdown would have saved thousands and thousands of lives.

Cases are starting to rise across Europe.  Melbourne is locking down for 6 weeks, not a week or two.  The US had 25,000 deaths from this in July, 54,000 in April.  Most of the deaths occurred early on.  And deaths are already trending down despite the large # of cases, and little in the way of lockdowns.  Places that look good today can look bad in 6 weeks.  And some places that think the lockdowns ended this are going to get a nasty surprise.

20 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Cases are starting to rise across Europe.  Melbourne is locking down for 6 weeks, not a week or two.  The US had 25,000 deaths from this in July, 54,000 in April.  Most of the deaths occurred early on.  And deaths are already trending down despite the large # of cases, and little in the way of lockdowns.  Places that look good today can look bad in 6 weeks.  And some places that think the lockdowns ended this are going to get a nasty surprise.

That's basically the point though, they're starting to rise but they brought their levels so low that they can gain control much quicker (if they choose to). They're at a point where they can close things down if the numbers get too far beyond what they feel is acceptable. Spain and France are in the low thousands of new cases per day (2k-4k); Italy and Germany are in the low hundreds per day (we're still between 45k-60k per day). I might be off by a little, but we never made it lower than 16k new cases a day (France got as low as 0, Spain down to the mid 100's). We bailed a month early and it's prolonged everything.

We got deaths down to the mid 200's before we bailed; now they're back over 1,200 on quite a few days; France had 7 deaths and then 12 on the last 2 days I could find from this week, Spain had 3 (August 7th). From August 5th - 9th we had: 1,328; 1,248; 1,287; 1,109; and then 554.

Australia's states have varying degrees in their lockdowns, they're not uniform - but I don't think a 6 week lockdown is excessive. I'd rather they be responsible with containment.

Our lockdown was bullshit. It was lifted due to nonsense and it cost lives and it cost a degree of getting things back to normal. 

If you're trying to say lockdowns don't do much, well the data is right there. When you lift them, it comes back. When you lift it too soon, it never left.

This country is the perfect example of how not to behave when a pandemic takes place, and I would've been very interested to see what your "professional" opinion would have been had this happened during a Democratic Presidency, with the same response and numbers of cases and deaths are there is today. I think I've got a pretty good guess.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DownSouth said:

This country is the perfect example of how not to behave when a pandemic takes place,

You need to compare those European countries to some US states...

Now tell everyone which states did worse and why...👍

I think you would be very hard pressed to try and collapse the varied responses and varied results of each state.

Far from identical ...why is that...hmmmm?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, DownSouth said:

That's basically the point though, they're starting to rise but they brought their levels so low that they can gain control much quicker (if they choose to). They're at a point where they can close things down if the numbers get too far beyond what they feel is acceptable. Spain and France are in the low thousands of new cases per day (2k-4k); Italy and Germany are in the low hundreds per day (we're still between 45k-60k per day). I might be off by a little, but we never made it lower than 16k new cases a day (France got as low as 0, Spain down to the mid 100's). We bailed a month early and it's prolonged everything.

We got deaths down to the mid 200's before we bailed; now they're back over 1,200 on quite a few days; France had 7 deaths and then 12 on the last 2 days I could find from this week, Spain had 3 (August 7th). From August 5th - 9th we had: 1,328; 1,248; 1,287; 1,109; and then 554.

Australia's states have varying degrees in their lockdowns, they're not uniform - but I don't think a 6 week lockdown is excessive. I'd rather they be responsible with containment.

Our lockdown was bullshit. It was lifted due to nonsense and it cost lives and it cost a degree of getting things back to normal. 

If you're trying to say lockdowns don't do much, well the data is right there. When you lift them, it comes back. When you lift it too soon, it never left.

This country is the perfect example of how not to behave when a pandemic takes place, and I would've been very interested to see what your "professional" opinion would have been had this happened during a Democratic Presidency, with the same response and numbers of cases and deaths are there is today. I think I've got a pretty good guess.

Lockdowns have their own significant costs.  Economic, health, social.  The purpose of the lockdown was to flatten the curve, not prevent a certain number of deaths.  2 or more years of lockdown is an unviable strategy - even a year.  Florida has over 500,000 confirmed cases.  The CDC says the actual number may be 10 times that.  5 million cases, 8000 deaths.  That would put the mortality at .16%.  Even if the multiplier is only 5, that still is around .3%.  20 million Floridians and there is evidence that 20-40% of the population may not get this due to T-cell immunity from other coronaviruses.  5 million plus 4-8 million, puts the state in reach of herd immunity - which may be why cases are falling.  Since Florida did not lock down, you have to have an explanation for the decline.  Finally,  with 60,000 confirmed   cases a day nationally and now around 1,000 deaths a day - we are a long way from 25,000 cases a day and 2200 deaths daily.  Is the virus less lethal?  It is an important question - and could it become more lethal again?

11 minutes ago, Troll said:

You need to compare those European countries to some US states...

Now tell everyone which states did worse and why...👍

I think you would be very hard pressed to try and collapse the varied responses and varied results of each state.

Far from identical ...why is that...hmmmm?..because we have no national strategy!!!....we have 50 states with 50 different tactics and a virus that doesn't care about state borders...in other words....we're f*in up BIG TIME...Nero fiddles while Rome burns....as Trump tells us how good we're doing...we need a national strategy yesterday..😞

15 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Lockdowns have their own significant costs.  Economic, health, social.  The purpose of the lockdown was to flatten the curve, not prevent a certain number of deaths.  2 or more years of lockdown is an unviable strategy - even a year.  Florida has over 500,000 confirmed cases.  The CDC says the actual number may be 10 times that.  5 million cases, 8000 deaths.  That would put the mortality at .16%.  Even if the multiplier is only 5, that still is around .3%.  20 million Floridians and there is evidence that 20-40% of the population may not get this due to T-cell immunity from other coronaviruses.  5 million plus 4-8 million, puts the state in reach of herd immunity - which may be why cases are falling.  Since Florida did not lock down, you have to have an explanation for the decline.  Finally,  with 60,000 confirmed   cases a day nationally and now around 1,000 deaths a day - we are a long way from 25,000 cases a day and 2200 deaths daily.  Is the virus less lethal?  It is an important question - and could it become more lethal again?

the United States makes up 14% of the worlds population...and we have 25% of the worlds deaths??....how does that add up??...it doesn't unless you sell your soul to Trump...😞