A drive through downtown New Orleans in the middle of the workday during the coronavirus pandemic.

RedZone

46 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That is surreal. At least people are taking it serious there apparently. 

Fools over here stupid as hell. xD

I asked the cashier yesterday at the convince store why he wasn’t wearing a mask and gloves , he said it’s stupid, this is not a virus but a Project, he said were all fucked and he would rather get it now and get it over with already 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That is surreal. At least people are taking it serious there apparently. 

Fools over here stupid as hell. xD

Yeah,  It's getting a tad spooky down here.....starting to fuck with my head a little. 

If we survive look for a giant parade. 😂 

• Haha 2

Read a long post from an ER doc with 20 years experience who practices at a community hospital outside of New Orleans.  I generally don’t get excited when residents start posting because they haven’t seen shit yet.  Suffice it to say, my straight hair got curled.  They are swamped despite opening beds right and left at the tertiary centers.  Doctors are not blaming anyone for this, they know that you cannot create and staff 1000 ICU beds in a space of 2-3 weeks.  The mild cases are mild and do not need hospitalization.  This is of the ones who present, so still a selected group.  However 20% need hospitalization for low oxygen levels, usually about day 5 of the illness. Of those a quarter-or 5% of the patients-require ventilators, usually on day 10.  These patients are really, really ill - requiring very high levels of oxygen and positive pressure.  Of the patients on the vent 70-85% will die - typical for ARDS.  The illness seems to be a crapshoot.  Get mild disease as usual and you are golden. Get severe disease and you are fucked - or nearly so.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

They aren't the only one. Soon decisions on who gets a ventilator and who is left to die are gonna be being made in a lot of places. 

Very sad. 

It is.  But as I said before, it is not unexpected to doctors.  A very large epidemic was always going to be like this. And our ability to alter the course is not that great.  Epidemics are hit and miss, worse some places and better others - often for no apparent reason.  I am a doctor, not a policy maker.  I deal with patients as individuals, not as community statistics.  I try to use my skill to save lives, but as an internist I lose a lot of battles.  And an epidemic is one of those times we lose a lot of battles.  The doctors on the front line will do their best with the resources they have, but they will lose a lot of battles.  The government will try and provide extra resources and they will, but if the system gets overwhelmed, it does.  I suspect that very few patients in the US will actually die because there was no vent for them.  Remember, a lot of elderly patients specifically request to not go on a vent - they don’t want it.  I know the docs will try to save every life they can, but I have seen enough ARDS vent patients over the years.  Most of these patients are not saved - they die on the vent.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, CODBEARD said:

not getting treatment or not getting treatment once a respirator is required?  The odds of someone 60 plus surviving this once a respirator is required is extremely low.. I would like to believe if I was in that situation I would refuse the respiratory treatment and let the younger folk have it.. Gonna die anyway

A 72 year old Italian priest did that very thing.

Hate to be in that decision tree myself, but it makes perfect sense.

God bless, Cod.

Hope neither of us is in that place.

BGW

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CODBEARD said:

not getting treatment or not getting treatment once a respirator is required?  The odds of someone 60 plus surviving this once a respirator is required is extremely low.. I would like to believe if I was in that situation I would refuse the respiratory treatment and let the younger folk have it.. Gonna die anyway. 60 may be a little low though I would bump that to 65 plus

They are treated, just no vent.  But standard treatment is simply supportive 

• Thanks 1

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

Possibly could come to those types of decisions being made here soon. Very scary.

Deaths at Phoebe in Albany range from 40 to 80. Really no age group is totally safe.

Bormio just backfilled with the choice of vent comment.

Things I'm hearing out in the open are crazy.

It's amplified... people are anyways.

BGW

10 hours ago, Bormio said:

Read a long post from an ER doc with 20 years experience who practices at a community hospital outside of New Orleans.  I generally don’t get excited when residents start posting because they haven’t seen shit yet.  Suffice it to say, my straight hair got curled.  They are swamped despite opening beds right and left at the tertiary centers.  Doctors are not blaming anyone for this, they know that you cannot create and staff 1000 ICU beds in a space of 2-3 weeks.  The mild cases are mild and do not need hospitalization.  This is of the ones who present, so still a selected group.  However 20% need hospitalization for low oxygen levels, usually about day 5 of the illness. Of those a quarter-or 5% of the patients-require ventilators, usually on day 10.  These patients are really, really ill - requiring very high levels of oxygen and positive pressure.  Of the patients on the vent 70-85% will die - typical for ARDS.  The illness seems to be a crapshoot.  Get mild disease as usual and you are golden. Get severe disease and you are fucked - or nearly so.

Where was your expert medical opinion 3 or 4 weeks ago when this was a big joke and just the flu?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Where was your expert medical opinion 3 or 4 weeks ago when this was a big joke and just the flu?

I never said it was a joke and never said it was not going to spread widely.  It is also not Ebola.  Remember 1918 was a flu epidemic (killed 50 million+ worldwide and nearly 700,000 in the US).  1957 was the Asian flu epidemic - killed over 100,000 here.  Comparing it to flu was not saying it could not be serious.  I do not think even now this will be a replay of 1918, but it is closer than anything probably in 60 years.  And it is stressing our health system in ways never seen before, precisely because we have more capability.

51 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I never said it was a joke and never said it was not going to spread widely.  It is also not Ebola.  Remember 1918 was a flu epidemic (killed 50 million+ worldwide and nearly 700,000 in the US).  1957 was the Asian flu epidemic - killed over 100,000 here.  Comparing it to flu was not saying it could not be serious.  I do not think even now this will be a replay of 1918, but it is closer than anything probably in 60 years.  And it is stressing our health system in ways never seen before, precisely because we have more capability.

Maybe it is Armageddon and maybe he should have. I'm actually growing tired of the medical experts in this country. There's  NO fucking curve.

Would you agree trump should have at least told the truth from day one?....I know that's problematic for you..

Maybe more people would have saved their souls, at least.

bandicam 2020-03-26 09-40-47-397.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

I never said it was a joke 

But here's a sample of you saying a lot things close to that (with TONS of misinformation included).

On 2/29/2020 at 5:46 AM, Bormio said:

Even the New England Journal of Medicine, the preeminent medical journal in the world, argues the coronavirus is likely no worse than a severe seasonal flu

On 2/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, Bormio said:

More articles being written that stopping the spread of the virus is impossible

On 2/29/2020 at 8:52 PM, Bormio said:

Like NBA games, March Madness, NHL games - because someone thinks - without evidence - this might be beneficial?

On 2/29/2020 at 9:00 PM, Bormio said:

The point is limiting the spread is likely impossible. Some will get it, some won’t. And the mortality is quite low.  We do not go nuts over a flu epidemic.  

On 2/29/2020 at 9:29 PM, Bormio said:

Quarantine of contacts seems reasonable, but is almost certainly futile.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:15 AM, Bormio said:

The reason the experts are all shaking their heads is that no one has any idea how to control the spread in a meaningful way.

On 3/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Bormio said:

If there isn’t mass hysteria yet, it is not for lack of trying by the media.  But people are skeptical about what they believe from them.  Every hour, lead story “Virus in Oregon”, “Virus in Washington”, “Virus to Tank Economy and Markets”, “Should we close schools and stop public gatherings?”  And on and on, breathlessly, trying to be more sensational and cutting-edge than the competition.  It isn’t just about politics, media laps this stuff up for ratings.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:34 PM, Bormio said:

Pretty soon we will all be quarantined.  Economic activity will cease.  Which might be the point.  People are losing their fricking minds.  People are going to have heart attacks and die at home because they have been told to stay there.  It is not even clear it is really transmissible before you get sick.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:38 PM, Bormio said:

We want ACTION!  Do SOMETHING!  Although they have no idea what to do - it just sounds brilliant to say “do something”.  Even the experts are struggling to make recommendations.  The problem is serious, but not worthy of panic or apocalyptic headlines.  The virus is going to spread and cause disease, a goal of slowing the spread to avoid overloading our healthcare system is a reasonable goal.  Personal hygiene measures and social distancing are reasonable- probably the latter are less meaningful than some think.  Quarantine of all contacts for 14 days is ludicrous- how many times do you think some people are going to do that?  3, 5, 10?  Isolation of people who are sick and testing them is what is needed.

On 3/11/2020 at 10:56 PM, Bormio said:

The panic was a hoax. The idea that if you happen to come into contact with someone with the disease you needed to be a hermit for 2 weeks was not warranted. That is soon going to be everyone of us - some of us multiple times. 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:11 PM, Bormio said:

It MIGHT help, even with social distancing there are lots of contacts between people. The press reports have been over the top - and really not informational.  Reports of terrifying chest Xrays make people think all get like that, reports of people keeling over in the street in China made people think Ebola, not something far less lethal. The TV and internet headlines have been sensationalized - not designed to mitigate panic.