Saltwater Fishing Social Distancing Edition

HawgGoneIt

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

That was my thinking too. I like that country gal too. :D

She could have on a Confederate Hat with a George Wallace T-Shirt and I would be like it ain't that bad 😎 .  We can still work with this as I pull out a Plate of fried Fish Tails 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Actually, he is. In Jamaica the head would be there, too! Poor people can't be wasteful like you first worlders!

True...and I would recommend the fish in Jamaica or Mexico or any other place you travel to far away.....

People that travel far from home often get sick on the biodiversity of germs  (IE. Montezuma's Revenge/Mexico).

Did you say you were a pescatarian? That can keep you much healthier especially if you are well traveled.

3 minutes ago, Troll said:

True...and I would recommend the fish in Jamaica or Mexico or any other place you travel to far away.....

People that travel far from home often get sick on the biodiversity of germs  (IE. Montezuma's Revenge/Mexico).

Did you say you were a pescatarian? That can keep you much healthier especially if you are well traveled.

Yes, with the exception that at Thanksgiving I will do turkey and Christmas a pot roast or rack of lamb. The rest of the year, the only animal flesh I do is fish, and a few other sea creatures. I eat a lot of vegetables, a fair amount of fruit, and whole grains. I will also eat eggs and cheese sparingly. 

As for fish eating in Jamaica, there are actually people I know that prefer the head. They get some kind of pleasure picking the flesh from the various bones and cavities therein. Personally, while I have no issue with eating fish with the bones in it, the head is not my cut of choice. Reminds me too much of poorer days ... 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 12:31 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

The weather is too hot down here for the freshwater trout to flourish. They've tried introducing them and some hybrids before but they don't survive the dry season when the creeks drop and stop flowing. 

I used to fly fish some at a lake near where I grew up. Catch big blue gill bream in there with little popper flies. You could see them cutting the water to run after the fly. Pretty fun really. I don't have any fly rods or rigs now, but, there is a fly tying club that meets at the brewery where I hang out and I have been thinking about joining them a few times to see if it's for me or not to make my own flies. Maybe get back into it that way. 

We just have to drive a few hours north to get on the type waters the trout like. 

Give it a try. Fly fishing is an art. I have bait casters, spinning, and fly rods. Love the Fly the best.

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Yes, with the exception that at Thanksgiving I will do turkey and Christmas a pot roast or rack of lamb. The rest of the year, the only animal flesh I do is fish, and a few other sea creatures. I eat a lot of vegetables, a fair amount of fruit, and whole grains. I will also eat eggs and cheese sparingly. 

As for fish eating in Jamaica, there are actually people I know that prefer the head. They get some kind of pleasure picking the flesh from the various bones and cavities therein. Personally, while I have no issue with eating fish with the bones in it, the head is not my cut of choice. Reminds me too much of poorer days ... 

I have no problem with fish served  with the bones, head, tail, whatever 😄

I grew up doing a lot of fishing, by us a very good eating fish is Summer Flounder...

Made to be filleted (and no real attractive head either😆), but you really need to know what you are doing, and a MUST to have the right knife.

I think it is just one of those things where people always took pride in getting every bit in the perfect fillet (and wasting as little as possible)...not hard to do, but hard to do right.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Troll said:

I have no problem with fish served  with the bones, head, tail, whatever 😄

I grew up doing a lot of fishing, by us a very good eating fish is Summer Flounder...

Made to be filleted (and no real attractive head either😆), but you really need to know what you are doing, and a MUST to have the right knife.

I think it is just one of those things where people always took pride in getting every bit in the perfect fillet (and wasting as little as possible)...not hard to do, but hard to do right.

When I lived with mom and dad, and then with dad, before going to live with mom, we spent 7 years in Buff Bay, a bucolic little town of about 1,500 people. For a good part of that time there was neither electricity nor running water there. So, the town would literally shut down by around 8:pm. But there was a river that ran through the town down to the sea. During that time me and my friends would catch fresh water shrimp in it, as well as mullets and African perch. We would also go down to the river mouth where we caught drum in the brackish water, as well as small jacks. 

In addition to learning to fish there, I also learned to cook and clean them, as we would put on the pot in the back yard (rotated turns), and fry or what Jamaicans refer to as "steam" them. Used to eat that with either boiled green bananas or various types of Jamaican yams. We would sometimes steal (decided not to use a euphemism) tomatoes from a local farmer's crop to go along with that. 

• Like 1