The Stock Market

DarterBlue

Just now, DarterBlue said:

If quality services are being provided in exchange for the high taxes, I can live with that. If not, then it makes a place unlivable. 

Its not. It goes to the poor and the illegals. Also goes to the all the social nets that need to be ended immediately. You get nothing for ur taxes 

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

oh ok. Just making sure u saw it. If it happens it'll be a deep bear market imo

Bear markets usually come when one of the following exists:

1. Tight monetary conditions (Fed tightening). The opposite is true right now. So monetary conditions are bullish.
  2. Gross overvaluation - depending on your view of the lasting effects of Corona virus, this may be true. Neutral to bearish.
  3. The market is tired after a long bull market. You could argue either way. We had a bear market but it was brief. Neutral.

So, the chief conditions for a bear market are mixed at worst. And you could argue, that they are more positive than negative. Hence, I believe the bulls probably have some more to run.

But like I said, as a technician, if the action continues negative, I will respect it and get out of the way. I do believe Corona is the big wild card. For regardless of Federal directives, if in the ensuing months, Corona gets out of control, business and states will shut down again. If that happens, then we will have a second bear market this year.  

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Bear markets usually come when one of the following exists:

1. Tight monetary conditions (Fed tightening). The opposite is true right now. So monetary conditions are bullish.
  2. Gross overvaluation - depending on your view of the lasting effects of Corona virus, this may be true. Neutral to bearish.
  3. The market is tired after a long bull market. You could argue either way. We had a bear market but it was brief. Neutral.

So, the chief conditions for a bear market are mixed at worst. And you could argue, that they are more positive than negative. Hence, I believe the bulls probably have some more to run.

But like I said, as a technician, if the action continues negative, I will respect it and get out of the way. I do believe Corona is the big wild card. For regardless of Federal directives, if in the ensuing months, Corona gets out of control, business and states will shut down again. If that happens, then we will have a second bear market this year.  

U can argue 2 of the biggest economic states NY and CA will not be opening anytime soon losing trillions in the economy. 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

U can argue 2 of the biggest economic states NY and CA will not be opening anytime soon losing trillions in the economy. 

Yes, this could end up being the case. And by default, if the virus continues its increase in Florida, the state will shut down one way or the other, as tourists will not risk coming here which will lead to extended unemployment for millions of people. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, this could end up being the case. And by default, if the virus continues its increase in Florida, the state will shut down one way or the other, as tourists will not risk coming here which will lead to extended unemployment for millions of people. 

I'm not sure if florida will shut down again. It would destroy their state economy. Tourists im sure already have vacations lined up. 

I've personally already been to maryland and PA. Stayed at hotels and all is fine 

But many small businesses will never come back in florida if they close again 

Remember the cure should never be worse than the virus and the destruction of an economy over a virus cannot happen

10 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I'm not sure if florida will shut down again. It would destroy their state economy. Tourists im sure already have vacations lined up. 

I've personally already been to maryland and PA. Stayed at hotels and all is fine 

But many small businesses will never come back in florida if they close again 

Remember the cure should never be worse than the virus and the destruction of an economy over a virus cannot happen

In Orlando they will shut down as Disney is not going to reopen if this  remains out of control. Too much risk for them. In South Florida, it's going to depend on whether the virus gets out of control. If it gets bad like it was in NYC, they will have no option but to shut it down as the hospitals won't have the capacity. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

In Orlando they will shut down as Disney is not going to reopen if this  remains out of control. Too much risk for them. In South Florida, it's going to depend on whether the virus gets out of control. If it gets bad like it was in NYC, they will have no option but to shut it down as the hospitals won't have the capacity. 

This whole thing is insane. Lose a whole country over a temporary virus. Makes absolutely 0 sense to me. Never did from the start 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

This whole thing is insane. Lose a whole country over a temporary virus. Makes absolutely 0 sense to me. Never did from the start 

The problem is, there is no cure or vaccine. If you are dead, nothing matters.

As an older guy, I won't go back to normal till they have an effective treatment or vaccine. I would like to see my grandchild grow up and don't want to die from something that's not treatable. To me it's as simple as that. We should have invested more time in testing, tracing and isolating the infected. If we had done that when we were on lock down, we would not have this new spike.  

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

The problem is, there is no cure or vaccine. If you are dead, nothing matters.

As an older guy, I won't go back to normal till they have an effective treatment or vaccine. I would like to see my grandchild grow up and don't want to die from something that's not treatable. To me it's as simple as that. We should have invested more time in testing, tracing and isolating the infected. If we had done that when we were on lock down, we would not have this new spike.  

Not everything has a cure or vaccine. Not everyone gets available vaccines so that argument is moot. People walk around everyday with no vaccine. I never get the flu vaccine ever and u know what I never had the flu

We need to just live our lives. Let people make a choice. Open ur business and let people decide if they want to come. I know by me bars and such have had great crowds 

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

20000 by November 

You mean 200,000? That is very possible based on the spike in new cases. What would guarantee it is if NYC and NJ had a second wave. Not something I am wishing for, but just stating the elephant in the room. For right now we are back to over 30,000 new cases a day which is where we were back in April. This is looking very bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Not everything has a cure or vaccine. Not everyone gets available vaccines so that argument is moot. People walk around everyday with no vaccine. I never get the flu vaccine ever and u know what I never had the flu

We need to just live our lives. Let people make a choice. Open ur business and let people decide if they want to come. I know by me bars and such have had great crowds 

No it is not moot. The problem you are ignoring is the extent of transmission. This is a highly communicable disease. That is the huge problem with this virus. Add to that the fact that many survivors has long term organ damage (heart, lungs, kidneys) and I am not going to fu@#k with this virus. If you want to go risk your life, that's your decision. But I am going to try and be as safe as possible. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

No it is not moot. The problem you are ignoring is the extent of transmission. This is a highly communicable disease. That is the huge problem with this virus. Add to that the fact that many survivors has long term organ damage (heart, lungs, kidneys) and I am not going to fu@#k with this virus. If you want to go risk your life, that's your decision. But I am going to try and be as safe as possible. 

Bingo is my choice!!!!!

14 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You mean 200,000? That is very possible based on the spike in new cases. What would guarantee it is if NYC and NJ had a second wave. Not something I am wishing for, but just stating the elephant in the room. For right now we are back to over 30,000 new cases a day which is where we were back in April. This is looking very bad. 

If I’d listen to you 2 weeks ago about buying puts I’d be a thousandaire today

Just now, HSFBfan said:

But that's up to me to make thqt decision and tell them where I been and let them decide if they want to be around me

As a practical matter, do you tell people you know who you have been with and where you have recently gone? I doubt it. But even if you do, I am pretty sure most people don't share that information with others they are around for a whole host of reasons. The only way to get rid of this damn virus when there is no cure, is to isolate those that have it till they are better and for those that don't to act responsibly.

I figured that would be too much to ask of most unless they were forced into social distancing, so I decided I would protect myself as best I can by staying home as much as I can until we have a cure or vaccine. If we never get one, then I will adjust to a new normal, which I can since I am retired. 

As a practical matter, do you tell people you know who you have been with and where you have recently gone? I doubt it. But even if you do, I am pretty sure most people don't share that information with others they are around for a whole host of reasons. The only way to get rid of this damn virus when there is no cure, is to isolate those that have it till they are better and for those that don't to act responsibly.

I figured that would be too much to ask of most unless they were forced into social distancing, so I decided I would protect myself as best I can by staying home as much as I can until we have a cure or vaccine. If we never get one, then I will adjust to a new normal, which I can since I am retired. 

Yes i usually tell people where I am going. I dont usually just wander off into the world with no destination in mind. 

Like i said ive been on 2 road trips and everyone who knows me who I see on the regular knew exactly where I was 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yes i usually tell people where I am going. I dont usually just wander off into the world with no destination in mind. 

Like i said ive been on 2 road trips and everyone who knows me who I see on the regular knew exactly where I was 

Yes, that's fine, but do most people follow that protocol? Hardly. And that is why carrying on as normal does not work. Innocent people as a matter of course are bound to be exposed. Look at the countries that solved this crisis and the ones that have not (we fall squarely into the latter camp) and see what was done differently. Then and only then, can the USA begin to address this pandemic. What we are doing will make us an international pariah!

Yes, that's fine, but do most people follow that protocol? Hardly. And that is why carrying on as normal does not work. Innocent people as a matter of course are bound to be exposed. Look at the countries that solved this crisis and the ones that have not (we fall squarely into the latter camp) and see what was done differently. Then and only then, can the USA begin to address this pandemic. What we are doing will make us an international pariah!

Can't compare nations. We have populations in greater numbers that this virus attacks than other countries. 

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Can't compare nations. We have populations in greater numbers that this virus attacks than other countries. 

?? China?? India?? You going nuts on me again? The USA only has between 4 and 5% of the World's population. We have nearly a 1/3 of the world's cases and more than 1/4 of the total deaths. That's a spectacular failure!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

?? China?? India?? You going nuts on me again? The USA only has between 4 and 5% of the World's population. We have nearly a 1/3 of the world's cases and more than 1/4 of the total deaths. That's a spectacular failure!

We have different populations. Its not the number its what its compromised of. The cdc has put out that the virus attacks minorities harder than anyone else.

China and India dont have too many minorities