The Stock Market

DarterBlue

15 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Regarding your second paragraph, over the course of your life you have not experienced a virus that was as easily transmitted as this one in the USA. The flu used to be. However, by now many individuals such as the two of us seem to be immune to it.

But this virus is new. So, that broad, based immunity does not exist. Regarding why so many Americans get sick, unfortunately, the USA does not have a very healthy population. At least not for a developed country. It may have to do with the food we eat, as well as too many people leading unhealthy lifestyles, no or little exercise, etc. 

Whenever I see a new healthcare professional, they are amazed at the fact that despite my age I take no medications for any chronic conditions as I don't have any. For me it as been as simple as a four mile daily walk/run coupled with eating animal products very sparingly. 

You maybe right. Idk its just lunacy how many people are sick. Its amazing how many people get the cold the flu etc etc so often. I believe they said over a course of a year businessss lose billions of hours of production due to people being ill. 

I think a part of it is americans don't sleep enough. They believe this 8 hour crap is right for the body. Its not. You need more than 8 hours. Plus we don't nap in the afternoon like many countries.

For me I havent seen a doctor in years. I couldn't even tell u who my doctor is. Im never sick. Peoplw who get sick to me abuse their bodies and don't let it ever repair itself 

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

You maybe right. Idk its just lunacy how many people are sick. Its amazing how many people get the cold the flu etc etc so often. I believe they said over a course of a year businessss lose billions of hours of production due to people being ill. 

I think a part of it is americans don't sleep enough. They believe this 8 hour crap is right for the body. Its not. You need more than 8 hours. Plus we don't nap in the afternoon like many countries.

For me I havent seen a doctor in years. I couldn't even tell u who my doctor is. Im never sick. Peoplw who get sick to me abuse their bodies and don't let it ever repair itself 

I believe many people take sick days because they need "mental health" days. The hate or are dissatisfied with their jobs to the extent they feel a need to take a day off just to get rid of the stress and unhappiness. In a sense, the modern world has taken the joy out of work. When you tilled the soil or made a pair of shoes, there was a sense of accomplishment that many current jobs do not provide. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

I believe many people take sick days because they need "mental health" days. The hate or are dissatisfied with their jobs to the extent they feel a need to take a day off just to get rid of the stress and unhappiness. In a sense, the modern world has taken the joy out of work. When you tilled the soil or made a pair of shoes, there was a sense of accomplishment that many current jobs do not provide. 

I know people need their jobs to be able to afford their lifestyle but no job is worth ur misery. Ive worked every meaningless job you could. After a while you just quit. There is no reason to go to work everyday miserable. Ive been there to call out when I feel like I needed a mental health day and usually after that I end up quitting. Like I said no job is worth my misery. Life is hard enough and can be miserable enough. Don't add ur job on top of it. 

43 minutes ago, rockinl said:

I have a stock that Im losing on, but Zacks is still adamant about buying it. Guess Ill just sit on it a while. I have too at this point. LOL

Zachs is usually a good source of information. But never be deceived into thinking your stock is so far down that you have to keep it. Remember, it can also go all the way to zero. Not likely, but if you have been in the markets 30 years, bet it's happened a few times. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Zachs is usually a good source of information. But never be deceived into thinking your stock is so far down that you have to keep it. Remember, it can also go all the way to zero. Not likely, but if you have been in the markets 30 years, bet it's happened a few times. 

Not worried about it going to zero. You know, just tough to sit back and watch your money dwindle.

Stocks closed broadly higher on lower volume. All the gains came in the final hour. At today’s open, stocks were broadly lower. However, by 10:30 am most indices had reversed higher. From 10:30 am to 3 pm, they bobbed and weaved between negative and positive territory. Then at about 2:55 pm, they staged their final rally into the close. The gains ranged from .99% on the NASDAQ 100 to 1.7% on the Russell 2000. Advancing stocks led by margins of 19-10 and 2-1 on the NYSE and NASDAQ, respectively. The day was mildly bullish. Several sector ETFs bounced off their 50-day moving averages. The DOW approached but did not reach its 50-day average. The NASDAQ remains well above this level despite the strong selling and weak open Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. Could this be the end of the recent consolidation/weakness? Maybe. But I doubt it. Since June 11, the market with the exception of the NASDAQ has been in a correction/consolidation. Such periods are inevitable and healthy, provided they don’t lead to significant damage. Not only do they give the averages time to digest their gains, but they help remove speculative froth from the market, setting the stage for further sustainable gains. With that said, I would not be surprised if we get further back and forth action through month end at the least. I just hope it is not accompanied by too much volatility. A calm market would be a blessing here.

On a personal note, I was up $7,027 or .128% on the day. My strong stock was TTD which bounced nicely from yesterday’s selloff. Also, ZM notched another all-time high. ZM is stretched from any reasonable entry point and will need to calm down if it’s to sustain further gains. But I won’t complain. The only loser on the day was the NKLA options. And, that loss was relatively contained. All the positions I own seem to be in good shape. I am sitting in losses on the S&P September calls. But the actual index seems to be consolidating nicely. So, I won’t worry about the calls for now. I also have a loss on the MDY ETF. The chart of the S&P 400 is less bullish, so I will need to monitor the MDY more carefully. SHOP, TEAM and LCII are all in very good to decent shape. With the gains scored today, I am once again in the black to the tune of over $6,000 on the week to date.

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Stocks closed broadly higher on lower volume. All the gains came in the final hour. At today’s open, stocks were broadly lower. However, by 10:30 am most indices had reversed higher. From 10:30 am to 3 pm, they bobbed and weaved between negative and positive territory. Then at about 2:55 pm, they staged their final rally into the close. The gains ranged from .99% on the NASDAQ 100 to 1.7% on the Russell 2000. Advancing stocks led by margins of 19-10 and 2-1 on the NYSE and NASDAQ, respectively. The day was mildly bullish. Several sector ETFs bounced off their 50-day moving averages. The DOW approached but did not reach its 50-day average. The NASDAQ remains well above this level despite the strong selling and weak open Wednesday and Thursday, respectively. Could this be the end of the recent consolidation/weakness? Maybe. But I doubt it. Since June 11, the market with the exception of the NASDAQ has been in a correction/consolidation. Such periods are inevitable and healthy, provided they don’t lead to significant damage. Not only do they give the averages time to digest their gains, but they help remove speculative froth from the market, setting the stage for further sustainable gains. With that said, I would not be surprised if we get further back and forth action through month end at the least. I just hope it is not accompanied by too much volatility. A calm market would be a blessing here.

On a personal note, I was up $7,027 or .128% on the day. My strong stock was TTD which bounced nicely from yesterday’s selloff. Also, ZM notched another all-time high. ZM is stretched from any reasonable entry point and will need to calm down if it’s to sustain further gains. But I won’t complain. The only loser on the day was the NKLA options. And, that loss was relatively contained. All the positions I own seem to be in good shape. I am sitting in losses on the S&P September calls. But the actual index seems to be consolidating nicely. So, I won’t worry about the calls for now. I also have a loss on the MDY ETF. The chart of the S&P 400 is less bullish, so I will need to monitor the MDY more carefully. SHOP, TEAM and LCII are all in very good to decent shape. With the gains scored today, I am once again in the black to the tune of over $6,000 on the week to date.

Nrgu is back up over 4. Come on oil 

42 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yeah i know. Unfortunately sometimes I just wanna have fun and root it on 

We all do. Cheer if you want, but look at where it is. If it no longer seems like it's working right, then let it go. To do this successfully, you have to have a clinical approach. Once you have a big winner, celebrate after you sell and take your profits. 

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

Yeah i know. Unfortunately sometimes I just wanna have fun and root it on 

Yes yes .. we all do,

but as Darter once said , there’s way better trades out there right now 

I had nrgu but i sold, way other trades I can do while NRGU is not very profitable In short term and long term is bad to hold these stocks because of fees

• Like 1

8 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Yes yes .. we all do,

but as Darter once said , there’s way better trades out there right now 

I had nrgu but i sold, way other trades I can do while NRGU is not very profitable In short term and long term is bad to hold these stocks because of fees

What fees? Why are u paying fees? 

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

What fees? Why are u paying fees? 

All ETF's are subject to fees, just as mutual funds are. Someone did the work to put together the ETF. You think this is done for free? For that reason, most ETFs tend to slightly underperform the related index. That's not guaranteed as ultimately it is demand and supply that determines the price of all publicly traded ETFs. 

• Like 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

All ETF's are subject to fees, just as mutual funds are. Someone did the work to put together the ETF. You think this is done for free? For that reason, most ETFs tend to slightly underperform the related index. That's not guaranteed as ultimately it is demand and supply that determines the price of all publicly traded ETFs. 

I trade etfs for free on robinhood. Every trade on everything is absolutely free 

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I trade etfs for free on robinhood. Every trade on everything is absolutely free 

You clearly don't understand the difference between a commission on a trade, and a fee charged by those that manage the ETF. I don't think I am capable of explaining it to you, so we will leave it be. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

You clearly don't understand the difference between a commission on a trade, and a fee charged by those that manage the ETF. I don't think I am capable of explaining it to you, so we will leave it be. 

Ohhhh ok I got it. You explained it without going on paragraph after paragraph. 

Another Bad Day: For a second day this week, the stock market is getting hammered. In some respects, today is worse than Wednesday, but in others it is better. The clear reason for the weakness is the market's slow realization that Covid-19 is not only here for for at least the intermediate term, but that it may well force the de facto shutdown of several states that are being hard hit. Assuming this happens (it is likely in Texas, Arizona, Florida and California, and a few other states), the economic recovery the market had staked its wager on, may be delayed by at least months. 

This could have been avoided. Had we taken the time to ramp up testing, done serious contact tracing, and imposed strict isolation rules for exposed people, we could have reopened without the virus exploding. Alas, we did not. So, this failure on the part of our government, coupled with mass demonstrations, and, sadly, the President himself setting a horrible example, has now guaranteed that this will be a summer of discontent. Whether the market can hold tough and not rollover again is the big question. On the one side, we have a horrible health and social backdrop, and on the other, super favorable monetary conditions. This could get very interesting ... to be continued. 

The DOW is currently right at support, trying to bounce off its 50-day moving average. On the other side, the stronger NASDAQ just sliced through its shorter, 21-day moving average, but it is still well above its rising 50-day. 

22 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Another Bad Day: For a second day this week, the stock market is getting hammered. In some respects, today is worse than Wednesday, but in others it is better. The clear reason for the weakness is the market's slow realization that Covid-19 is not only here for for at least the intermediate term, but that it may well force the de facto shutdown of several states that are being hard hit. Assuming this happens (it is likely in Texas, Arizona, Florida and California, and a few other states), the economic recovery the market had staked its wager on, may be delayed by at least months. 

This could have been avoided. Had we taken the time to ramp up testing, done serious contact tracing, and imposed strict isolation rules for exposed people, we could have reopened without the virus exploding. Alas, we did not. So, this failure on the part of our government, coupled with mass demonstrations, and, sadly, the President himself setting a horrible example, has now guaranteed that this will be a summer of discontent. Whether the market can hold tough and not rollover again is the big question. On the one side, we have a horrible health and social backdrop, and on the other, super favorable monetary conditions. This could get very interesting ... to be continued. 

The DOW is currently right at support, trying to bounce off its 50-day moving average. On the other side, the stronger NASDAQ just sliced through its shorter, 21-day moving average, but it is still well above its rising 50-day. 

Microsoft closing physical stores will take a 450 billion dollar hit 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Microsoft closing physical stores will take a 450 billion dollar hit 

That's not good at all. Permanent closing that will cost jobs. Less jobs equals less spending. Microsoft will be okay as they are large and relatively diversified. But this is not good for the economy. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

That's not good at all. Permanent closing that will cost jobs. Less jobs equals less spending. Microsoft will be okay as they are large and relatively diversified. But this is not good for the economy. 

Nope i didn't think it was. Just news that I saw. Now jobs can be saved. 

Since the model today is Amazon every company needs warehouses to ship their products from. So to save jobs you give your employees a job in the warehouses. You can trucks that say Microsoft or partner with ups FedEx etc and you might save it that way 

But consumer spending hit a record in may thats good 

10 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Nope i didn't think it was. Just news that I saw. Now jobs can be saved. 

Since the model today is Amazon every company needs warehouses to ship their products from. So to save jobs you give your employees a job in the warehouses. You can trucks that say Microsoft or partner with ups FedEx etc and you might save it that way 

But consumer spending hit a record in may thats good 

It is not going to be sustained if the number of cases keep skyrocketing. That's why the market is showing some weakness. I don't know at this stage whether the bulls or the bears end up winning. Clearly if we go into de facto or de jure shutdown again, consumer spending is going to contract big time.