The Stock Market

DarterBlue

Just now, DarterBlue said:

You have to look at the percentage gain. The DOW was well under 10,000 when it bottomed after the 2008/09 bear market. Markets more than doubled during Obama's tenure from the bottom to when he exited. So far, he has done better than Trump.

No i don't look at just percentage. I look at numbers. 

8000 points in 8 years

Trump during this pandemic brought the market back 8000 points in 8 weeks. 

Trump deregulation is working. 

Biden will handcuff businesses again destroying profits hurting all shareholders.

Without this pandemic trump would be up in my opinion over 10000 points since election. 

11 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

No i don't look at just percentage. I look at numbers. 

8000 points in 8 years

Trump during this pandemic brought the market back 8000 points in 8 weeks. 

Trump deregulation is working. 

Biden will handcuff businesses again destroying profits hurting all shareholders.

Without this pandemic trump would be up in my opinion over 10000 points since election. 

You frustrate me. Percentages are the only thing that matter. If the market is at 40000 and goes to 42000 that is only 5% made. If it is at 8000 and goes to 10000 that is 25%. 25% (in both cases they have gone up 2000 points) is five times greater than 5%. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you should leave markets alone as you will certainly lose all your money. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You frustrate me. Percentages are the only thing that matter. If the market is at 40000 and goes to 42000 that is only 5% made. If it is at 8000 and goes to 10000 that is 25%. 25% (in both cases they have gone up 2000 points) is five times greater than 5%. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you should leave markets alone as you will certainly lose all your money. 

Yes i agree with ur point but it's not only percentage that matters. The overall number does too. The smaller the number the easier it is to achieve a higher percentage 

38 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You have to look at the percentage gain. The DOW was well under 10,000 when it bottomed after the 2008/09 bear market. Markets more than doubled during Obama's tenure from the bottom to when he exited. So far, he has done better than Trump.

Smaller the number the easier it is for higher percentage 

If the dow was 1 and it got to 2 thats a 100% increase. But if u told someone that the 100% increase was from 1 to 2 nobody would care 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Yes i agree with ur point but it's not only percentage that matters. The overall number does too. The smaller the number the easier it is to achieve a higher percentage 

That is not true. Markets go up when there is fuel to make them go up. The fuel can come from too sources, one healthy and the other questionable. The healthy source is real economic growth. This provides savings that can be invested in the market. The questionable source is easy money via low interest rates, giveaways in the current situation, or lax lending conditions. In all cases, the markets  go up when there is effective demand. So, where they start has nothing to do with the ease or lack of ease. If there is no effective demand, markets do not go up, period!

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Smaller the number the easier it is for higher percentage 

If the dow was 1 and it got to 2 thats a 100% increase. But if u told someone that the 100% increase was from 1 to 2 nobody would care 

Yes, they would because if they bet $10,000 on the DOW at 1 and it  went to 2 they would have $20,000. Likewise, if you bet $10,000 when the market is 20,000 it has to go to 40,000 for your $10,000 to grow to $20,000. In both cases you have made exactly the same amount of money.  

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

That is not true. Markets go up when there is fuel to make them go up. The fuel can come from too sources, one healthy and the other questionable. The healthy source is real economic growth. This provides savings that can be invested in the market. The questionable source is easy money via low interest rates, giveaways in the current situation, or lax lending conditions. In all cases, the markets  go up when there is effective demand. So, where they start has nothing to do with the ease or lack of ease. If there is no effective demand, markets do not go up, period!

Of course It is true.

If u had 1 of something and you got to 2 thats a 100% increase

But the higher the number the increase goes up smaller percentage wise. 

That's why if you have a 25000 dow more than likely nobody gives cares about a 1% increase or decrease because it's small

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, they would because if they bet $10,000 on the DOW at 1 and it  went to 2 they would have $20,000. Likewise, if you bet $10,000 when the market is 20,000 it has to go to 40,000 for your $10,000 to grow to $20,000. In both cases you have made exactly the same amount of money.  

if you had 40000 and you grew 20000 that's 50%.

See how its easy to get to 100% when ur number is smaller 

A potential Bull Trap: What is a bull trap? A bull trap is a situation where a bullish investor(s) are sucked into a rally that occurs after a bout of weakness. Emboldened and confident that the bullish trend will pick up where it left off, the investors prematurely jump in and buy only to get whipsawed as the averages or stock, shortly thereafter, proceeds on the downward path it had embarked on.

Why do I think today may be a bull trap? Volume is a lot lower than Friday. Added to that, is the fact that among the strongest issues today are the beaten down cyclical issues and the industrial issues. Well, tell you what, if the current Covid-19 statistics are real, the economic recovery is going to wait till sometime next year at the earliest. So, what will I do now? For today I will stand put. But I am certainly not buying. And, my eyes are very fixed on the door should the recent bout of selling pick up where it left off between now and the end of this holiday shortened week.  

• Thanks 1

Stocks closed broadly and significantly higher on much lower volume. At the close, the gains ranged from 1.14% on the NASDAQ 100 to 3.08% on the Russell. Small and Mid Cap stocks outperformed while NASDAQ technology type stocks underperformed. Advancing stocks led by just over 3-1 on the NYSE and by 2-1 on the NASDAQ. So, it was a good day then? Not so fast. To me it had the feeling of a bull trap. Leadership on the day did not fit in with either recent leadership or the economic and pandemic backdrop. Also, the market rallied rather significantly into the close, which smacked of “plunge protection team” action, and resembled last Thursday’s action, which preceded Friday’s plungeAs such I view the day’s rally very cautiously and would not be the least bit surprised if the selling we have recently seen resumed before the end of this holiday shortened week.

On a personal note, I ended the day up $1,682 or .31%. Thus, I underperformed the averages by a hefty margin. ZM, TEAM and the NKLA options were the main cause of my distress as all three, but particularly ZM, had hefty losses. The NKLA losses were a bit galling since the stock, but not the options I own, was up nicely on the day. My losers were offset by good days in: LCII, which recouped the majority of Friday’s losses; SHOP, which reversed nicely higher; the MDY ETF which was up over 2%; and the SPY, September call options.

15 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

So keep buying. Buy at every dip. 

Buy at 10 buy at 8 buy at 6

That is the worst advice you could ever give. Trying to catch a falling knife is a guarantee that you will get very, very seriously cut many times! If you buy a stock after it pulls back and it keeps pulling back, you sell it and get the fuck flat, period!!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

That is the worst advice you could ever give. Trying to catch a falling knife is a guarantee that you will get very, very seriously cut many times! If you buy a stock after it pulls back and it keeps pulling back, you sell it and get the fuck flat, period!!

Not if it will rebound and if u miss thr rebound you'll be kicking yourself in the ass. Im guessing Iamagoodbpy is young. If he's looking to invest hes gonna be in it for 30-40 years. 

The markets goes one way up. It more than likely always recovers. And as long as ur company is financially set keep buying 

16 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Not if it will rebound and if u miss thr rebound you'll be kicking yourself in the ass. Im guessing Iamagoodbpy is young. If he's looking to invest hes gonna be in it for 30-40 years. 

The markets goes one way up. It more than likely always recovers. And as long as ur company is financially set keep buying 

You have just expressed stark and utter ignorance. I suggest you go back to the ponies and leave the markets alone. I don't see how you will make money doing that. In your 401k you feed it and forget it until you get near to retirement. In your trading account you cut your losers or you will get destroyed!

15 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue news was talking about a “W” shape recovery 

The shape of the recovery is going to depend on Covid-19, a treatment and a vaccine. If we get a vaccine tomorrow, or an effective treatment you get a V. If we never get a treatment or vaccine, we are going to have a sluggish economy for years. Some things will just be abandoned by a certain percentage of the population which will hamper growth. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

You have just expressed stark and utter ignorance. I suggest you go back to the ponies and leave the markets alone. I don't see how you will make money doing that. In your 401k you feed it and forget it until you get near to retirement. In your trading account you cut your losers or you will get destroyed!

Idk I'm doing well doing exactly what i told him to do 

I also kick ass at the ponies. 60 dollar horse yesterday 

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Idk I'm doing well doing exactly what i told him to do 

I also kick ass at the ponies. 60 dollar horse yesterday 

The problem with continuing to buy the dips on individual stocks is that some of them never come back. If you keep buying, say GE as it has gone down over the last 10 years, you would have lost your house, car and shirt by now. 

10 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The problem with continuing to buy the dips on individual stocks is that some of them never come back. If you keep buying, say GE as it has gone down over the last 10 years, you would have lost your house, car and shirt by now. 

I did say if they are financially set. Ge Ford etc have been crap for a while now