The Stock Market

DarterBlue

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

down 33% over 5 years. Doesnt look to be going anywhere

This article states you will have to wait years to make a profit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4356717-blink-is-triple-triple-digit-sales-growth

I know  I know, but is picking up steam fast 

891297E2-25EB-4D82-9834-091A5DB7F3DA.png

especially I missed out on the workhorse stock when I had chance to buy it for a $1

2 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

You got all these companies going electric, that weren’t around 5 years ago

You have to be careful with them. Reminds me of the internet back in the late 1990s. If you pick the right ones, you are good. But the majority evaporate into the ether

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Yep see I didn’t even do my DD on that, I don’t even know who their competitors are

Unless you are doing a five day or less trade, it is important to do due diligence. That's where the red flags show up. I am a technician. But before I buy, I do still scan the SEC filings. If I see certain red flags I will pass. A good chart is a great thing. But if there is nothing behind it, the stock can "cascade" (an old pun on a fraudulent company) to the bottom very quickly.

Managing your Losses: Trading involves the risk of loss. Each time you go long or short, unless you are perfectly hedged, there is the possibility you will take a loss. For those that cannot admit their mistakes, trading is not for them. They should stay as far from this game as is possible for they will be destined for ruin if they venture into it. Why? because failure to admit one's mistakes will surely prevent the taking of losses when they are small and manageable. The loss will, therefore, be magnified, and, long after it was clear to all but the trader in the position, it will become detrimental to him/her. Not only are big losses financially devastating, but they are also psychologically devastating. Both the money lost and the effect on your emotional well being will conspire to ensure that future trades will also be unsuccessful. So, my basic mantra is: take your losses quickly, or keep the bets very small on the trades most likely to result in losses. That way you avoid financial and emotional devastation.

Sure, the above is all well and good, but as a practical matter, how do I keep losses small? Well, the fist way is to keep the bets on your most risky trades very small. This ensures that even if you don't pull the trigger and get rid of them quickly, they will still not do deep financial and emotional damage. And, for your normal trades, the trick to not putting yourself in a position to take big losses, is to pick your entry points very carefully. What do I mean by this? First, if you are a bottom fisher, don't try and catch a falling knife. Wait till the security has shown clear signs of making a real bottom before buying it. This means not buying the bottom, but waiting till the stock has begun to go up the right side of a U or W shaped bottom. If you are more into buying earnings and price momentum stocks it means buying on pullbacks to support. Depending on your time frame, this could be the 50-day moving average, or if you are a swing trader, the 21-day moving average. Or it could be buying at the lower band of a well drawn, upward sloping price channel. Or it could mean buying as the stock emerges from a base. What is a base? A base is a period of price consolidation when a stock goes "nowhere." It generally lasts from 4 to 12 weeks. Four weeks I consider the minimum, beyond 12 weeks tries ones patience. When I say the stock goes nowhere, this does not mean it is stationary. What it does mean is that as a maximum the security pulls back no more (less is preferable) than 40% of its most recent price advance. So if a stock has gone from $60 to $100, it should pull back no more than $16 to $84.

By buying at carefully chosen points,  you are in a position to place mental stops not far below the price you purchased it at. Why? Because you bought near where there is clearly defined, price support. Failure to hold price support levels, indicates a change in direction, and is grounds for selling and taking a manageable loss. 

• Thanks 1

The Month of July: In my prior posts, I have not addressed the issue of seasonality and its effect on markets. Is this because I don't believe that seasonality plays a role in returns? No, I believe it does, though the reasons are all Greek to me. However, I have not posted in its effect on this board because I believe seasonality plays a secondary role in determining gains and losses. Thus, I have focused on what I consider primary to market performance. In general, markets seem to perform best from the third week of October through the middle of April. Hence, the old cliche, "Sell in May and go away." With that said, I thought it may be timely to say a few word about July.

July falls in the summer doldrums period of market performance. Historically, about 3/4th of all market gains have come in the late October through late April period. The most famous study measured performance from the 1920s through 2010. However, despite the relative under performance of the May through mid-October period, the month of July through mid-August has tended to buck the trend slightly, yielding, on average, gains averaging approximately 5% over the six week period. Given the out-sized gains scored since April of this year, it should be interesting to see whether this July through mid-August lives up to its historical reputation. An argument can be made either way for this year. On the one hand, markets have been on a tear since April and a pullback or at least consolidation would not be surprising. On the other, we have been in a consolidation since June 11 which is about 3.5 weeks. It is very possible that we have just about worked our way through it and that markets may be ready to resume their torrid advance. 

5 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

News flash: Despite hard liners like Peter Navarro in the administration POTUS is not going to go through with this. It is another case of all bark and no follow thorough. You heard it here first. 

24 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

News flash: Despite hard liners like Peter Navarro in the administration POTUS is not going to go through with this. It is another case of all bark and no follow thorough. You heard it here first. 

Wasn't that Chinese company already kicked off wall street lunkin??

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Wasn't that Chinese company already kicked off wall street lunkin??

Luckin was a fraudulent company that was delisted. It was China's answer to Starbucks. But engaged in filing fraudulent financial statements with the SEC. Delisting is done by the exchanges and has nothing to do with politics. Grounds for delisting may include: 1. The stock trades below a buck for a specified time. 2. Failure to meet SEC deadlines for filing required reports. 3. Company being sued for fraud, among, others. 

• Like 1

Advice from a more credible source than me: Let me say, that I think I am better than the great majority of the "experts" at Schwab. But I don't pretend to think that I have greater credibility. After all, I am just a poor, minority, third world type. Anyway, I thought this article in very simple English may be useful for some of the less experienced market participants on this board.

https://www.schwab.com/resource-center/insights/content/why-it-may-pay-to-sell-even-loss

15 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I wanna become a philanthropist, @DarterBlue make it happen

Believe me, I have tried my best to make anyone that reads this thread better than they were before. But at the end of the day, to get rich doing this takes a lot of hard work, time and a willingness to analyze both your winners and even more importantly, your losers. You want to see what worked and then replicate it on future trades. More importantly, you want to see what did not work and avoid doing the same thing a second, third, fourth, ... Nth time ... 

A Second Attempt: Last Thursday, the markets got turned back at key resistance after opening up higher. As I type this, the surrendered gains of Thursday, are being taken out in pre-market activity. If we open at indicated levels, we have a real shot at getting through the resistance at which they rebuffed Thursday. If markets succeed at this attempt, then we should have smooth sailing this week. Since I am long, I will keep my fingers crossed as it would be to my financial benefit for the bulls to succeed here.  

Just now, DarterBlue said:

A Second Attempt: Last Thursday, the markets got turned back at key resistance after opening up higher. As I type this, the surrendered gains of Thursday, are being taken out in pre-market activity. If we open at indicated levels, we have a real shot at getting through the resistance at which they rebuffed Thursday. If markets succeed at this attempt, then we should have smooth sailing this week. Since I am long, I will keep my fingers crossed as it would be to my financial benefit for the bulls to succeed here.  

From years past how’s  the market on Monday’s after 3 day weekends? Is it more volatile ?

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

From years past how’s  the market on Monday’s after 3 day weekends? Is it more volatile ?

Off the top of my head, I don't know. Historically, there has been a small, positive bias the day before holidays. I am not sure what the bias is the day after. But I am sure the information exists. Not sure if it is in the public domain. But what I do know is that the futures are very strong this morning! We are set to open at the top of Thursday's highs at a minimum!

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Off the top of my head, I don't know. Historically, there has been a small, positive bias the day before holidays. I am not sure what the bias is the day after. But I am sure the information exists. Not sure if it is in the public domain. But what I do know is that the futures are very strong this morning! We are set to open at the top of Thursday's highs at a minimum!

Based Off what tho?, covid cases are at an all time high as of yesterday 

what changed, hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see the recovery yet, stocks will drop off by 10:15

3 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Based Off what tho?, covid cases are at an all time high as of yesterday 

what changed, hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see the recovery yet, stocks will drop off by 10:15

I am actually optimistic that today will be a victory for the bulls. If it's not, I would regard the day as very negative.