The Stock Market

DarterBlue

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Sure it did. But year to date, aside from the two NASDAQ indices, the year has been mediocre for most. It has been a traders market, not an investors market. 

Also lowest mortgage rates. We just hit a new low. 

Houses are flying off the market.

7 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Also lowest mortgage rates. We just hit a new low. 

Houses are flying off the market.

They may be. But the question is: Who is doing the buying? I suspect it's more investor types and not families who are in limbo. We will see how this all plays out. Whichever way it does, hopefully I stick to my game plan and avoid getting burned. 

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

They may be. But the question is: Who is doing the buying? I suspect it's more investor types and not families who are in limbo. We will see how this all plays out. Whichever way it does, hopefully I stick to my game plan and avoid getting burned. 

No not true. My brother is in the middle of house buying and according to his real estate agent families are buying houses in the suburbs around here as they dont want anything to do with NYC anymore 

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

No not true. My brother is in the middle of house buying and according to his real estate agent families are buying houses in the suburbs around here as they dont want anything to do with NYC anymore 

So what's going to happen to the real estate in NYC if everyone is leaving? And what will happen to prices there? One man's gain is usually another's pain. It's always and will always be that way. I'd rather gain than feel pain. 

So what's going to happen to the real estate in NYC if everyone is leaving? And what will happen to prices there? One man's gain is usually another's pain. It's always and will always be that way. I'd rather gain than feel pain. 

Should plummet esp if people will work from home going forward. I dont have to live in NYC to work on my laptop from home. Businesses will no longer have to continue to pay high rent in commercial real estate. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I do property Cleanouts and for being in a Pandemic I’m see a big surge in home buying, and all my customers have been family home buyers, where I usually do jobs for contractors and house flippers

2 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I do property Cleanouts and for being in a Pandemic I’m see a big surge in home buying, and all my customers have been family home buyers, where I usually do jobs for contractors and house flippers

Then you may want to take another look at home builder stocks. That sounds really bullish for them. Some of them are: KBH, TOL, PHM, BZH, LEN, NVR.  I am a little surprised with employment conditions very unstable. I wonder if it's just tri-state or if it's nationwide.

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Based Off what tho?, covid cases are at an all time high as of yesterday 

what changed, hopefully I’m wrong but I just don’t see the recovery yet, stocks will drop off by 10:15

So far they show no real sign of dropping yet; but I guess it's not 10:15 yet either.

Stocks closed broadly higher. Volume was also broadly higher. At the close the range was from a gain of .77% on the Russell to 2.53% on the NASDAQ 100. The NASDAQ was next in line with a gain of 2.21% as the semis were strong, as well as the FAANG stocks. Volume was higher across the board. Advancing stocks led by margins of 21-9 and 11-6 on the NYSE and NASDAQ, respectively. At the close, the DOW was at day highs, while most of the other indices, excepting the Russell and S&P Mid Cap, were close to day highs. The day was decidedly bullish as the S&P cleared resistance that had held it back on Thursday of last week. It is very close to filling the Island Reversal pattern created back in mid-June. If it is able to do so this week, look for it to join the NASDAQ in resuming its uptrend.

On the day, after being up over $12,000 early on, on the backs of TEAM, SHOP, TTD and ZM, as well as solid gains in LCII and the S&P Options and a decent gain in the MDY. My positions, with the exception of the S&P options, and to a lesser extent, the MDY, reversed on me. At the close, I was up only $1,739 or .31% as I had one of my worst reversals in fortunes and relative underperformance of this cycle. At the close, my only big winner was the S&P Options which were up about $3,800. On the other hand, my SHOP position was down $2,635 or $43 per share or close to 5%. Also, today, my NKLA position will need to be sold tomorrow, as the stock closed below $50 on high volume. I will only keep the options if the stock opens above $50 and works its way higher as the trading day progresses. This trade appears to have been a mistake and I will salvage what I can from it rather than give up the entire $12,000 put into it. You win some, you lose some. Of the other positions I own, TTD and MDY closed with modest gains; TEAM eked out a small gain; while LCII and ZM had relatively small losses. While the two NASDAQ indices closed strongly, the NASDAQ types I own all reversed on me creating varying degrees of damage. While they were due a rest given their strong outperformance, they bear careful watching given the sharpness of their swings during the day. The game plan for tomorrow is to shed the NKLA options and the 12 shares of stock owned in a small account. Other than that, with the market acting bullishly, I will hold all the other positions barring unusual behavior.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Stocks closed broadly higher. Volume was also broadly higher. At the close the range was from a gain of .77% on the Russell to 2.53% on the NASDAQ 100. The NASDAQ was next in line with a gain of 2.21% as the semis were strong, as well as the FAANG stocks. Volume was higher across the board. Advancing stocks led by margins of 21-9 and 11-6 on the NYSE and NASDAQ, respectively. At the close, the DOW was at day highs, while most of the other indices, excepting the Russell and S&P Mid Cap, were close to day highs. The day was decidedly bullish as the S&P cleared resistance that had held it back on Thursday of last week. It is very close to filling the Island Reversal pattern created back in mid-June. If it is able to do so this week, look for it to join the NASDAQ in resuming its uptrend.

On the day, after being up over $12,000 early on, on the backs of TEAM, SHOP, TTD and ZM, as well as solid gains in LCII and the S&P Options and a decent gain in the MDY. My positions, with the exception of the S&P options, and to a lesser extent, the MDY, reversed on me. At the close, I was up only $1,739 or .31% as I had one of my worst reversals in fortunes and relative underperformance of this cycle. At the close, my only big winner was the S&P Options which were up about $3,800. On the other hand, my SHOP position was down $2,635 or $43 per share or close to 5%. Also, today, my NKLA position will need to be sold tomorrow, as the stock closed below $50 on high volume. I will only keep the options if the stock opens above $50 and works its way higher as the trading day progresses. This trade appears to have been a mistake and I will salvage what I can from it rather than give up the entire $12,000 put into it. You win some, you lose some. Of the other positions I own, TTD and MDY closed with modest gains; TEAM eked out a small gain; while LCII and ZM had relatively small losses. While the two NASDAQ indices closed strongly, the NASDAQ types I own all reversed on me creating varying degrees of damage. While they were due a rest given their strong outperformance, they bear careful watching given the sharpness of their swings during the day. The game plan for tomorrow is to shed the NKLA options and the 12 shares of stock owned in a small account. Other than that, with the market acting bullishly, I will hold all the other positions barring unusual behavior.

I sold all my NKLA stocks  premarket This morning, bellus Health Went down 85% at 930 so I bought a whole bunch of BLU stocks when it stopped its free fall and it went up 12% after

10 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I sold all my NKLA stocks  premarket This morning, bellus Health Went down 85% at 930 so I bought a whole bunch of BLU stocks when it stopped its free fall and it went up 12% after

But do u know why it went into free fall? DarterBlue is gonna wanna know 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2020 at 8:34 AM, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I doubt Darter is interested, if you wanna research this company 

03F94CC0-4335-4191-B9BE-59CA4FFEA1E4.png

It’s a universal charging station 🚉 for all makers of  Electric Vehicles  ,, over 15,000 charging stations 

might be worth the risk, especially with Electric Vehicles starting to be in high demand

On 7/4/2020 at 8:37 AM, HSFBfan said:

down 33% over 5 years. Doesnt look to be going anywhere

This article states you will have to wait years to make a profit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4356717-blink-is-triple-triple-digit-sales-growth

96852588-86EB-4B91-BBA5-964EA5C482E8.png

39 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

This only works if you are day trading or at the farthest swing trading. When a stock goes down 80% it is broken and should not be bought for any duration beyond a couple days at the very most. 

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue if you don’t mind, can explain why a stock would lose %80 in one day

A stock loses 80% in a day only if something is terribly wrong: .1 It declares bankruptcy. 2. Its auditors issue a going concern opinion. 3. If it is a Biotech with no revenues but working on a drug, the FDA does not give the green light. 4. The company's officers are accused of massive fraud. 5. The company depends on one customer for 80% of its sales, and the customer terminates the agreement. 6. The Company's major/only product is determined to cause cancer and the company is hit with class action lawsuits. 

In short, the only way a stock drops that much in one day, is if something is very, very, very wrong. And that is why it is at best only good for a day trade. There is a theory in the markets known as the cockroach theory. It goes thus: When really bad news (a cockroach) gets released, usually it is followed by more and more cockroaches. The truth and the whole truth is seldom revealed all at once. 

This only works if you are day trading or at the farthest swing trading. When a stock goes down 80% it is broken and should not be bought for any duration beyond a couple days at the very most. 

A stock loses 80% in a day only if something is terribly wrong: .1 It declares bankruptcy. 2. Its auditors issue a going concern opinion. 3. If it is a Biotech with no revenues but working on a drug, the FDA does not give the green light. 4. The company's officers are accused of massive fraud. 5. The company depends on one customer for 80% of its sales, and the customer terminates the agreement. 6. The Company's major/only product is determined to cause cancer and the company is hit with class action lawsuits. 

In short, the only way a stock drops that much in one day, is if something is very, very, very wrong. And that is why it is at best only good for a day trade. There is a theory in the markets known as the cockroach theory. It goes thus: When really bad news (a cockroach) gets released, usually it is followed by more and more cockroaches. The truth and the whole truth is seldom revealed all at once. 

Yes I did it as a day trade I’m gonna sell in the morning tomorrow

I was just curious on why a company would drop so much in one day outside of bankruptcy ,

4 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I was just curious on why a company would drop so much in one day outside of bankruptcy ,

See the other five examples in my post. It has to be something very bad. Even a big earnings miss will not cost a stock 80% of its value. 20% maybe, but not 80%. 

6 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Looking at all the posts related to this for the first time, Bellus Health seems to have fallen into the item 3 category of my post explaining some of the reasons for a big fall of 80+% in a day. That is the reason I don't trade the Biotechs with no established drugs. For if their home run drug in clinical trials has problems, then the stock can sink like a rock.

I saw that BLINK had a great day today up about 60%. That's great and you can make big money very quickly with some of these stocks. But it does not fit my criteria for purchase. It is almost certain it will give up most of these gains over the next week or two. It is kind of a poor man's NKLA. When I have messed with stocks like this, I have lost much more often than gained. I will buy big movers, but only if they already demonstrate that they have a product that is selling very well and they are either coming out of a base or have pulled back to support. Call it my risk control. However, if you can demonstrate that you can trade the BLINK's successfully, go for it. Just make sure you keep these bets very, very small. You have to as when they reverse lower, they crash just as quickly as they gained on the way up. 

Stock Futures: The futures have been very volatile since the market's close yesterday. As I type this, they are down, but off their lows. Yesterday, the market did well, as both the DOW and S&P cleared the first level of resistance facing them. Since June 11, all the indices except for the two NASDAQ ones, have been in various stages of pullback/consolidation. This has left the NASDAQ generals marching up the hill without their supporting troops. Of course, this is untenable. So, yesterday's action was constructive, as the participation was broad. Even more constructive would be another broad based rally today. Especially, if it came off a reversal of opening weakness. The bull market off the Covid-19 bear market lows has been fueled solely by easy monetary policies of unprecedented scale provided by our, ad indeed, all of the world's major Central Banks. It has had little, if any, fundamental support. However, I suspect that it will prove more resilient than I initially expected. But I feel very strongly it will eventually end badly, as all artificially induced bull markets do. The fine line I walk is to try and take advantage of the opportunity provided while realizing that when the end comes it will be sudden, swift and brutal.

2020 has been an amazing year on so many levels. Back in the 1990s journalists and historians were writing about the end of history. Most of this was inspired by the collapse of the Soviet Block. Well, in 2020 I suspect I have been a spectator with a front row seat of historical events that will go down as the most consequential since at least WW2. I have always realized that as a species we are deeply flawed. The events of this year certainly bear this out.  

Out of Nikola: Five minutes after the open I sold my 12 call options at prices ranging from $5.50 to $5.20. Net proceeds from the sale amounted to $6,481.92 for a loss of $5,538.08. I also sold the 12 shares of NKLA stock for net proceeds of $536.05 for a loss of $234.50. This trade was not a good one, but the losses were manageable based on my equity. They amounted to approximately 1% of total equity as it stands today which is well within my maximum tolerance of 2% on an individual trade.