The Stock Market

DarterBlue

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Its a system. Nobody believes in my system in horse racing either and sometimes it doesn't but when it does I clean up and leave with people jaws on the floor. 

Its such a simple system too just using the track bias against itself. 

Have you been net profitable in horse racing since you started playing them? If yes, then kudos. Be honest with yourself, though. 

I tried the horses in Jamaica over a six year period. I knew three jockeys and one trainer well. Even with access to decent information, I was only able to break even over that time. I eventually concluded that the house took too much off the top and became only a casual turfite. When I came here, due to being very busy, I largely left the game alone, as I have been to the track only a handful of times in the last 37 years.  

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Have you been net profitable in horse racing since you started playing them? If yes, then kudos. Be honest with yourself, though. 

I tried the horses in Jamaica over a six year period. I knew three jockeys and one trainer well. Even with access to decent information, I was only able to break even over that time. I eventually concluded that the house took too much off the top and became only a casual turfite. When I came here, due to being very busy, I largely left the game alone, as I have been to the track only a handful of times in the last 37 years.  

I would say no I am not net profit just because in the beginning I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. 

also I take a certain amount of money to the track. And I spend it. It usually goes to bets beers and cigars 

So most of my profit if not all of my profit goes back to the track. 

But yes I agree they take way too much off the top.  I hate that because once everyone jumps on a horse ur odds go to nothing 

Should be like sports betting. Once your in u get those odds 

• Like 1

Just now, Bormio said:

If the stock market holds these highs through the election, which is an “if”, it will help Trump enormously.  Those suburban housewives like seeing their families’ 401K’s going up.

Not only will they hold the fed is buying a trillion dollars worth of mortgages and such. 

Powell and trump will do anything in their power to make this hold up for the next 2 months 

31 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I have placed an order to buy 1655 shares of UAL at the limit price of $36.10. If it fills, this will get me back to being as invested as I intend to be. The airlines are not my favorite stomping ground; however, I have a hunch they are going to take off soon. But I am not sufficiently sanguine to go all in. 

Why not buy JETS??

1 hour ago, Bormio said:

If the stock market holds these highs through the election, which is an “if”, it will help Trump enormously.  Those suburban housewives like seeing their families’ 401K’s going up.

Only 55% of the country is in the market.

And you, like Trump, seem to view women through some 1950's prism. Suburban women aren't just housewives...a huge amount of them are professionals, with children. They're professionals that are furloughed or unemployed and not seeing their job come back because Trump hasn't taken clamping down on COVID spread seriously.

And they're worried about their kid getting back to school safely, hoping the school doesn't get shut down a couple weeks in - forcing them to alter their work schedule if they'e lucky to still have their job.

So, sure, a higher 401K or mutual fund price will help...a little. But suburban women care about quite a few issues before you get down to that one, and Trump hasn't been doing well on the others in line (in head-to-head polling against Biden).

Is this what you think of when Trump talks about all the housewives:

846-08721088em-1950s-1960s-portrait-woma

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Buy a 19 dollar call then expires Sept 18

I only buy short dated calls around earnings announcements. I have a very, very rigorous approach to the markets that has taken me years to develop. It has been my experience that when I deviate from it, I lose money. I trust what I do and when I am wrong I can only blame myself. I like it that way. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

I only buy short dated calls around earnings announcements. I have a very, very rigorous approach to the markets that has taken me years to develop. It has been my experience that when I deviate from it, I lose money. I trust what I do and when I am wrong I can only blame myself. I like it that way. 

Works for me 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Well i jumped into AMC

I still have a small play in party city but have a feeling kts going nowhere

500 point day and it moved nowhere 

A stock like Party City is not influenced much by the market. It trades to its own drummer. I liked the chart and think a patient trader will make money here. But that's just my take. Good luck with AMC. You do understand it made a very big move today and could pull back though?

Just now, DarterBlue said:

A stock like Party City is not influenced much by the market. It trades to its own drummer. I liked the chart and think a patient trader will make money here. But that's just my take. Good luck with AMC. You do understand it made a very big move today and could pull back though?

It could but I dont see it

People about to hit the movie theaters

Need some blockbuster movies to come out and we have a nice revenue 

Stocks again closed broadly higher on higher volume completing a double in the process.  The day, despite weakness in some tech sectors, was bullish. At the close, the gains ranged from a gain of .87% on the Russell to a gain of 1.59% on the DOW. It is not often we see the DOW leading the charge. Advancing stocks held leads of 19-10 and 21-13 which was good, at least certainly relative to what we have recently experienced. Semiconductor stocks blossomed while the software sector did poorly overall. With 60% of the week now in the books, things are looking rosy for the bulls. Both the NASDAQ indices and the S&P registered all-time highs.

On the day, I bought 660 shares of DHI (DH Horton, a homebuilder) for $72.10 each. While the stock closed down on the day, I closed with over a 1% profit on it as I bought near day lows. I also tried to buy 1,655 shares of UAL at $36.10 on a bounce off day lows, but was not filled. I may try again tomorrow, but will not chase it. This purchase is based on a feeling that the selling has pretty much exhausted itself in the sector. It is also based on some unusual accumulation patterns I have seen in airline stocks this week. On the day, I lost $6,631 or 1.03%. This performance woefully trailed the indices. But it was due to ZM and SHOP, my stars of yesterday, giving back some of their gains. Technically, though ZM was down 7.4% and SHOP 5.3%, neither suffered great damage. My other loser today was ZTO which had been strong the past two days. It lost 1.9%. I had five winners. Unfortunately, aside from TTD which gained 2.7%, the other gains were relatively modest: LOW gained 1.7%, MDY, 1.3%, DHI, 1.1% and NEM, .7%. These relatively modest gains were not able to offset the large losses in ZM and SHOP. Still, I closed much better than I opened. At day lows I was down over $15,000 as at one stage the NASDAQ lost over 100 points. Onwards to Thursday!

Stock Market's Condition: So far this week has been better from an internals standpoint. More stocks and sectors have joined the party. A healthy market needs broad participation. This broad participation has been constrained despite unprecedented monetary easing, by the fact Covid-19 has remained with us through summer. It has been hard for the travel and leisure sectors and most of the restaurants to gain traction with the continued presence of the virus. The current week's behavior seems to reflect the fact that traders and investors see light ahead. Whether it is the end of the tunnel or a train coming has yet to be determined. The market is not on sound footing. However, madness can prevail for much longer than one would think.

Currently, both the NASDAQ and S&P are extended. Surprisingly, though, they are not overbought due to the lack of broad participation. This is unusual. Most extended markets are also very overbought. It would be healthy if the NASDAQ indices correct to their respective 21-day moving averages here. They are well above it to the tune of about 800 points which is highly unusual. A 800 point correction would be more than 5%. Usually, you would expect the 50-day to be in the 21-day average's position. But this has been a most unusual market. So, why should I be surprised? Perhaps, the NASDAQ indices will just mark time here with the rest of the averages catching up, including the smaller issues on the Russell and S&P Mid Cap. That would be the most healthy scenario. Equally healthy, but scary, would be a sharp selloff over a day or two to the tune of 5% or so. That would shake out some weak hands and perhaps set the stage for another move up. Less healthy, would be if the NASDAQ totally ignores the fact it is extended and just keeps going up. Novice traders would love this, but it would be the worst possible outcome, as it may set the stage for a final blow off top. As I type this, a blow off top seems the least likely of the scenarios. But in this strange year, it would not shock me.