The Stock Market

DarterBlue

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I have no idea. Was hoping you'd see me and tell me 

I know vanguard is a big name though 

Yes, Vanguard is a very big name. I also through very highly of John Bogle who, I believe, was its founder and for many years its head. I read the article and it seems they decided to close the two funds because NJ and Penn were not issuing short term debt anymore. But the article did not explain why. As I no longer live in that neck of the woods, I though you may have an idea why they had stopped doing this. My guess would be because long term debt has become so cheap (flattening of the yield curve), but that is only a guess. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, Vanguard is a very big name. I also through very highly of John Bogle who, I believe, was its founder and for many years its head. I read the article and it seems they decided to close the two funds because NJ and Penn were not issuing short term debt anymore. But the article did not explain why. As I no longer live in that neck of the woods, I though you may have an idea why they had stopped doing this. My guess would be because long term debt has become so cheap (flattening of the yield curve), but that is only a guess. 

I do not as I dont not follow these things that closely. I saw the name and saw they were closing in two major cities. It caught my eye 

It maybe a story that ill follow up on as the days go on and we get more information 

Check out the Fannie and Freddie article I posted above 

24 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Vanguard closes Pa., N.J. municipal money market funds, will liquidate both in November

https://www.inquirer.com/news/vanguard-pennsylvania-new-jersey-municipa-money-market-funds-20200925.html?outputType=amp

22 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Fannie, Freddie pose risk to financial system, panel says in 'historic' finding

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/09/25/fannie-mae-freddie-mac-financial-risk-421814

I work or used to work for vanguard, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae doing foreclosure Cleanouts  

25 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Check out the Fannie and Freddie article I posted above 

I did. Back in 2008 they were both bankrupt. The Republican dominated congress wanted to let them fail back in 2010/11. But somehow, they survive to this day. I will say this: For better or worse, and that depends on your political view of the housing market, without their survival, access to a mortgage loan would be severely constricted without them. That would lead to a significant reduction in the housing stock, as new homes would be unaffordable for many. 

53 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I read the article and it seems they decided to close the two funds because NJ and Penn were not issuing short term debt anymore. But the article did not explain why. As I no longer live in that neck of the woods, I though you may have an idea why they had stopped doing this. My guess would be because long term debt has become so cheap (flattening of the yield curve), but that is only a guess. 

"States, cities, and other municipal borrowers aren’t issuing short-term paper in large amounts, LaBas said, and instead are selling longer-term bonds. That way, he said, they can pay the current low interest rates over a longer period."

looks like some here are placing their bets on in some longer term inflationary outlook...🤔

would have to keep in mind just because NJ places a bet....doesn't always mean it's a good punt 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Troll said:

"States, cities, and other municipal borrowers aren’t issuing short-term paper in large amounts, LaBas said, and instead are selling longer-term bonds. That way, he said, they can pay the current low interest rates over a longer period."

looks like some here are placing their bets on in some longer term inflationary outlook...🤔

would have to keep in mind just because NJ places a bet....doesn't always mean it's a good punt 🤷‍♂️

The outlook concerning inflation is mixed. On the one hand, you have expansionary monetary and fiscal policy which should, ceteris paribus, be inflationary. But on the other hand, you have stagnant wages (a decades long trend), coupled with increased unemployment due to the Covid-19 lockdowns and public skepticism about returning to the "old normal." 

If we got inflation under the above circumstances, life would be very miserable for the lower echelons of the working classes fomenting further social unrest. 

To my way of thinking (you can take it or leave it), we walk a tightrope. Whether we fall off or not will depend on the skill of those in power. I am not sure these individuals would have been high up the recruiting list of PT Barnum. 

47 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The outlook concerning inflation is mixed. On the one hand, you have expansionary monetary and fiscal policy which should, ceteris paribus, be inflationary. But on the other hand, you have stagnant wages (a decades long trend), coupled with increased unemployment due to the Covid-19 lockdowns and public skepticism about returning to the "old normal." 

If we got inflation under the above circumstances, life would be very miserable for the lower echelons of the working classes fomenting further social unrest. 

To my way of thinking (you can take it or leave it), we walk a tightrope. Whether we fall off or not will depend on the skill of those in power. I am not sure these individuals would have been high up the recruiting list of PT Barnum. 

You know that was just an "explanation" assumed by the articles author right ??? 🤔

How you going to sell short term paper....if you are planning on having short term cash flow issues ?

(like a customer that now prefers some 10-year car loan) 🙄

PS: Can't say for sure, was just going by the article....

44 minutes ago, Troll said:

You know that was just an "explanation" assumed by the articles author right ??? 🤔

How you going to sell short term paper....if you are planning on having short term cash flow issues ?

(like a customer that now prefers some 10-year car loan) 🙄

PS: Can't say for sure, was just going by the article....

It's called going to the payday lender, a common southern solution. 

10 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Lol Looks like I gotta wake up  at 4 am tomorrow and sell all my stocks 

I would go by the market's action and not what either I or @Gardensateballersay. If the market is going to go down, it will tell you. It is facing resistance on the NASDAQ as I type this. If the NASDAQ goes up more than 100 points at the open and expands on it or at least holds those gains, then the odds the selling is over got significantly higher. If on the other hand it opens down or goes up and reverses by lunchtime, then there is at least another test of the lows, if not another leg down. 

8 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@DarterBlue is it possible to get a business loan from like China ? I heard over seeseas they are way more lenient on paperwork you gotta present 

To get a loan from China, you would need to be a legal permanent resident there. It may also be possible (I don't know for sure), if you raised hogs or soybeans in the USA to at least discuss the possibility with the local Consulate/Embassy, since they import a lot of that stuff from the USA. 

Regarding other countries, I have no earthly idea. Most lenders, worldwide, want collateral they can seize if you default. It is a lot easier to possess collateral if it's on the same soil as the lender. 

6 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I would go by the market's action and not what either I or @Gardensateballersay. If the market is going to go down, it will tell you. It is facing resistance on the NASDAQ as I type this. If the NASDAQ goes up more than 100 points at the open and expands on it or at least holds those gains, then the odds the selling is over got significantly higher. If on the other hand it opens down or goes up and reverses by lunchtime, then there is at least another test of the . 

Lol I was joking , cause every time  he posts those god damn memes my chit plummets the following day, I got allot of work so all my stocks are long term nothing I gotta pay attention to

5 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Lol I was joking , cause every time  he posts those god damn memes my chit plummets the following day, I got allot of work so all my stocks are long term nothing I gotta pay attention to

Even if you are a long term guy, you should always pay some attention to your stocks. If you don't they may cheat on you. Seriously, the worst thing to ever do is forget about and totally neglect your portfolio. No, you don't need to look at them every day, but at a minimum, you should still evaluate them weekly looking at news and their charts at least once in that period to determine that all seems well. 

If you don't, one day you may wake up to a massive surprise. 

• Like 1

As I type this, the NASDAQ indices are going to make a serious assault on resistance just overhead (50 and 21-day moving averages) on the back of a very strong open to European markets. Should it succeed as laid out in an earlier post, I shall have to reevaluate my short position and likely cover it at a loss. 

Today is a critical one in the battle between bullish and bearish forces. 

5 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Even if you are a long term guy, you should always pay some attention to your stocks. If you don't they may cheat on you. Seriously, the worst thing to ever do is forget about and totally neglect your portfolio. No, you don't need to look at them every day, but at a minimum, you should still evaluate them weekly looking at news and their charts at least once in that period to determine that all seems well. 

If you don't, one day you may wake up to a massive surprise. 

I only got 7k invested right now and 10 k in capital waiting in the cut, I paid off all my margin and using straight cash, right now I’m only in Apple Chwy Walmart party city and oil , chwy and oil is the 2 i really have to watch but I’m confident I can go to work next two days and not have my portfolio blow up

10 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I only got 7k invested right now and 10 k in capital waiting in the cut, I paid off all my margin and using straight cash, right now I’m only in Apple Chwy Walmart party city and oil , chwy and oil is the 2 i really have to watch but I’m confident I can go to work next two days and not have my portfolio blow up

Two days is fine. Just don't forget about them for weeks. Maybe if you are long term say that every Thursday (or over the weekend) you will look at each position for: news, stock chart, analysts comments (if applicable). That is sufficient if you are an investor and not a trader. 

Stocks closed broadly higher and near day highs on mixed volume. NYSE volume increased while NASDAQ volume decreased. At the close, the range was from a gain of 1.51% on the DOW to 2.4% on the Russell. Advancing stocks led declining ones by healthy margins of over 3-1 on the NYSE and 3.5-1 on the NASDAQ. It was a very good day for the bulls. All the major indices recaptured their 50-day moving averages. In addition, the two NASDAQ indices recaptured their 21-day moving averages. Finally, the S&P staged an IBD follow through day. So, what does this all mean? The odds favor that the bulls are once again in charge, and that the market will likely go higher, at least over the next few weeks.

I had a horrible day. Not only did my short positions in the QQQ and MDY get murdered, but ZM also fell on a day when stocks surged. And it did so after being up over 4% early on. I ended the day with losses of $17,840 or 2.89%. It was one of my worst days of this cycle. The PUT options lost $16,640 of this. ZM lost 1.78% or over $1,500. This was offset by a gain of over 1% or approximately $500 in NEM. As I lick my wounds, I have to admit I was wrong to go short. Despite negative headwinds, the market wants to go higher. So, what do I intend to do? I plan on holding the PUTS one more day through the debate tomorrow evening. Unless the market has a negative reversal tomorrow or Wednesday morning, I will cover them on Wednesday. C’est La Vie.