Rating the Schedules: Georgia Edition

Vikings - Crimson & White
8/22 Hoover High School Hoover Alabama (Corky Kell@MBS)(D)
8/28 Griffin
9/04 Oakleaf High School Jacksonville Fl.
9/11 Lee County
9/18 New Hampstead
9/25 At Valdosta
10/02 Alcovy
10/16 Tift County
10/23 At Colquitt County
10/30 Camden County

Lowndes Vikings 

Ok I gotta break this one down... 

It's a new HC so I won't be unreasonably tough but even still... 

Hoover

Oakleaf 

Valdosta

And 

Lee County are the good 

Griffin 

And

New Hampstead are the bad 

Alcovy is the ugly... 

With that said... 

Schedule Grade: B+... 

On 5/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Camden County 

8/21 Columbia
8/28 Glynn Academy
9/04 At Jean Ribault High School (Florida)
9/11 Marietta
9/18 At Oakleaf High School (Florida)
9/25 Coffee
10/02 At Warner Robins (MT)
10/16 At Colquitt County
10/23 Tift County
10/30 At Lowndes

Idk what to make of Camden's schedule. 

Their FL opponents aint much. 

But their Georgia opponents outside of Columbia are Menace's 

Schedule Grade: B+ 

Glynn Academy is a rivalry that's been going on for half a century  and recently the rivalries been intense as both teams have former metro Atlanta coaches. 

Glynn Academy- Rocky Hidalgo- Former Walton HC 

Camden County- Bob Sphire former NG HC 

Another rival is Brunswick but it seems Camden dropped Brunswick in favor of playing Marietta. 

Coffee used to be in Region 1 but they've been playing Camden for awhile as well this is their first meeting in  6 years. Last time they played Coffee sent Camden a Funeral arrangement for the L they where "Susposed" to take... Camden ended up sending them back home with their own funeral arrangement after beating them 42-0.

The biggest test test however is gonna be the Demons out of Warner Robins... I'm hearing them boys are hungry this year. The past 2 years the Demons have been to the state finals where they just couldn't quite win it. But they get to host Camden County  In their 6th all time meeting.  

Then the region games... 

Lowndes is always a killer for the Blue Cats... 

Tift Has proven to be a problem sometimes as well 

And then there's Colquitt this will be an interesting game that I may actually drive to see... 

I think your underselling Oakleaf

They got a pretty solid senior QB and have had several local kids transferring in to play with him, several starters from Lee went over there including 3* safety Larry Smith 

Oakleaf will be better than any school in Duval county this year if these kids stay put

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I think your underselling Oakleaf

They got a pretty solid senior QB and have had several local kids transferring in to play with him, several starters from Lee went over there including 3* safety Larry Smith 

Oakleaf will be better than any school in Duval county this year if these kids stay put

What happened to First Coast?

7 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:
8/28 Griffin
9/11 Lee County
9/18 New Hampstead
9/25 At Valdosta
10/02 Alcovy
10/16 Tift County
10/23 At Colquitt County
10/30 Camden County

Lowndes Vikings 

Hoover

Oakleaf 

Valdosta

And 

Lee County are the good 

Griffin 

And

Alcovy is the ugly... 

With that said... 

Griffin was 9-1 last season....

Decent program.

bgw

8 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:
8/28 Griffin
9/11 Lee County
9/18 New Hampstead
9/25 At Valdosta
10/02 Alcovy
10/16 Tift County
10/23 At Colquitt County
10/30 Camden County

Lowndes Vikings 

Hoover

Oakleaf 

Valdosta

And 

Lee County are the good 

Griffin 

And

Alcovy is the ugly... 

With that said... 

Don't cha think Hoover is tired of getting beat up on by Georgia teams? Lol. I mean, it'll be a good game for Lowndes, but we really gotta get away from playing Hoover all the time. 

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Don't cha think Hoover is tired of getting beat up on by Georgia teams? Lol. I mean, it'll be a good game for Lowndes, but we really gotta get away from playing Hoover all the time. 

Lowndes has never played a oos team away from Lowndes county and will have a new coach with a shortened off-season

Who's to say they gonna beat Hoover?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Lowndes has never played a oos team away from Lowndes county and will have a new coach with a shortened off-season

Who's to say they gonna beat Hoover?

I see where you coming from, but I don't think them playing away from home is gonna be a problem for them. Also, I truly believe Dubose will play to this personnel's strengths. Hoover just doesn't fare too well against our teams. I'm confident that they'll take care of Hoover pretty handily. 

14 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I see where you coming from, but I don't think them playing away from home is gonna be a problem for them. Also, I truly believe Dubose will play to this personnel's strengths. Hoover just doesn't fare too well against our teams. I'm confident that they'll take care of Hoover pretty handily. 

You never know until they actually do, some teams respond differently to it but playing away from home isn't even what has me thinking Hoover gets win here

While I think Dubose will do fine at Lowndes in the long run, with potentially a short off-season and coming to a new team I just don't think Lowndes will be at 100% heading into that game because they won't be adjusted yet to their new coach 

I honestly see a lot of early season upsets because of the off-season being much shorter for teams

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:45 AM, FootballGuy said:

When it comes to playing teams from OOS only at home, I get it. I don't see it as a thing where they want every advantage they can get....I see it from an economics standpoint. Now, I do feel like if the OOS teams want them to come to their place, they have to offer them a travel stipend that'll make up for a lost gate. So you look at teams like colquitt, lowndes and teams in texas and wonder why they only play OOS teams at their house, but you also gotta wonder what's being offered to them, and if it's nowhere close to reasonable, then it's a no go. 

We have had 100+ on the team for several years.  Plus, football does not operate in a vacuum.  We have a ton of other sports that may or may not have their own funding.  Everyone seems to think Gwinnett is so rich but then tend to forget we have 10% of all the students in the state of GA - 180,000+ students in our system.  I think it cost us $15k to go to Shreveport a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fred said:

We have had 100+ on the team for several years.  Plus, football does not operate in a vacuum.  We have a ton of other sports that may or may not have their own funding.  Everyone seems to think Gwinnett is so rich but then tend to forget we have 10% of all the students in the state of GA - 180,000+ students in our system.  I think it cost us $15k to go to Shreveport a couple of years ago.

Idk how some schools operate but I seriously doubt these South GA schools "share" their profits with other programs at the school

They likely put the money into a school vacuum where they hold a percentage of it for district/regional and playoff travel expenses and then what's left over goes back to the football program 

6 hours ago, Fred said:

It seems like the only Gwinnett county schools that are well off financially are Buford and GAC. Money never seems to be an issue for them.....especially when it comes to football. 

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Idk how some schools operate but I seriously doubt these South GA schools "share" their profits with other programs at the school

They likely put the money into a school vacuum where they hold a percentage of it for district/regional and playoff travel expenses and then what's left over goes back to the football program 

Actually... Some south GA schools do. 

On 5/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, Columbiafan said:

Unlike some, I don't pretend to speak for any program other than my own and then not authoritatively. AD has a budget that has to cover all sports.  And we play a *lot* of sports.  There are those that are better able have to fund much of their activities on their own.  Those that can raise money/sell tickets may not get the support from the general budget that the non/low revenue sports do.  The county funds the big cheeses anywhere in the state but past that it is on the school's budget.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:47 AM, FootballGuy said:

It seems like the only Gwinnett county schools that are well off financially are Buford and GAC. Money never seems to be an issue for them.....especially when it comes to football. 

I don't know that I would go that far.  Buford is a city school and GAC is a private so there is that.  Within the county schools there are the haves and have nots once you get past the basics.  The county in the past ten years has tried to close some of those inequities to some degree.  For example, Grayson built the stadium, concession stand/office, weight building, and then the field house on their own.  Later the county decided to level the playing field somewhat and up the base level.  They built field houses like Grayson's for some of the schools that didn't have one.  For the new schools built in the Archer or later time frame, the county provided the stadiums and field houses as part of the overall school construction.  If you look at the football stadiums it is pretty easy to tell which ones the schools built and which ones the county built.  The individual built ones are all different.  The county built ones are all the same.  Again, I don't speak for any other program but once the county started upgrading facilities for all they did come back and take over the remaining debt the touchdown club had on the facilities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fred said:

I don't know that I would go that far.  Buford is a city school and GAC is a private so there is that.  Within the county schools there are the haves and have nots once you get past the basics.  The county in the past ten years has tried to close some of those inequities to some degree.  For example, Grayson built the stadium, concession stand/office, weight building, and then the field house on their own.  Later the county decided to level the playing field somewhat and up the base level.  They built field houses like Grayson's for some of the schools that didn't have one.  For the new schools built in the Archer or later time frame, the county provided the stadiums and field houses as part of the overall school construction.  If you look at the football stadiums it is pretty easy to tell which ones the schools built and which ones the county built.  The individual built ones are all different.  The county built ones are all the same.  Again, I don't speak for any other program but once the county started upgrading facilities for all they did come back and take over the remaining debt the touchdown club had on the facilities.

I know Buford operates on its own. 

But why don't the other City schools: 

Duluth

Dacula 

Norcross

Lanier (Or is it Forsyth?) 

Operate on their own like Buford?

Just now, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Duluth

Dacula 

Because they aren't city schools.  They are county schools.

20 minutes ago, Fred said:

Because they aren't city schools.  They are county schools.

It's just strange normally schools named after Cities have their own BOE's/Systems in place... 

I know Valdosta,Buford, Carrollton and Rome do...

The only other school system that doesn't do this is the Savannah Schools... But I'm quite sure that's mostly due to Budgeting reasons... 

47 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

It's just strange normally schools named after Cities have their own BOE's/Systems in place... 

I know Valdosta,Buford, Carrollton and Rome do...

The only other school system that doesn't do this is the Savannah Schools... But I'm quite sure that's mostly due to Budgeting reasons... 

State law.  When the schools were deemed a county obligation, there were a few city schools that remained under the direction of the city.  I do not know the criteria used to make that decision.

6 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Duluth

Dacula 

Norcross

Buford and the city are intertwined... the city owns gas, electricity and water utilities thereby being an autonomous economic engine. 
How that works is a mystery to me but Buford is cash rich.... it has been said Buford could give away water and electricity and still make money on gas. 

Incredible foresight by the city’s forefathers back in the day. 

bgw

• Like 1

Since we're talking about economics, I need answers:

1. Whenever a team wins a state championship, does the respective program at that school get money for it? I was told that the football programs get money for winning state championships (the money goes toward new equipment, jerseys, facilities, etc.). If that's the case, is that why Buford has hella money? @BUFORDGAWOLVES

2. Since a lot of money is made on Friday nights during football season (especially here in Georgia), is some of that money use to cover other sport's expenses at that particular school? Is it a reciprocal thing where other sports at that school share their revenue to help fund the football team's expenses? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Since we're talking about economics, I need answers:

1. Whenever a team wins a state championship, does the respective program at that school get money for it? I was told that the football programs get money for winning state championships (the money goes toward new equipment, jerseys, facilities, etc.). If that's the case, is that why Buford has hella money? @BUFORDGAWOLVES

2. Since a lot of money is made on Friday nights during football season (especially here in Georgia), is some of that money use to cover other sport's expenses at that particular school? Is it a reciprocal thing where other sports at that school share their revenue to help fund the football team's expenses? 

Idk about proceeds from the Ship.... I don’t think it would be significant, good question on gate/concessions proceeds... I’m sure there’s a standard in region but as far as out of region. Dunno. 

Maybe @HawgGoneIt, would have some insight. 

bgw