STA 09

GrecoRoman

1 minute ago, GrecoRoman said:

I watched some of the vids.  In my mind you have to assume they're the best ever b/c obviously the teams can't play on another.  They have by far the best collection of proven talent and I can tell by the gameplay of their offense that I havent seen a defense in HS that would stop them.  The QB and oline look real solid also.  

Of course players on teams over the last few years havent had their chance to be proven at the next levels yet but I have a hard team believing any  team will have this many players succeed at the next two levels.  I think a lot of people underestimate just what it means to be not just very good top D1 but then in the NFL as well.  Especially in terms of HS when the player was making immediate impact as a freshman - it means thats essentially who he was last year in the HS season 

Problem is they got upset by Manatee in the Playoffs.   It was very unfortunate. 

11 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yeah I mean who do you replace?    Roberson was one of the best coverage safties STA has had Robinson was a big hitter,   Riggs and Payne were great at corner.   What ever happened to Brian Robinson and Keon Payne after STA?  

In wathcing these games Dorsett has acceleration I havent seen from another HS WR.   Real explosive and I think you'd be a hard press to find any HS cornere that can man up on him .  And if there was, you'd need a 2nd for Greene and a 3rd fr Joyner

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Loss to Manatee in the Semi's.   One of the biggest upsets in the playoffs.   STA has some guys out injured, but they still should have got it done.    I remember Ace Saunders having a big game for Manatee.   You know those zebras weren't going to make it easy either. 

Geez has STA ever truly lost? Lol

4 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

In wathcing these games Dorsett has acceleration I havent seen from another HS WR.   Real explosive and I think you'd be a hard press to find any HS cornere that can man up on him .  And if there was, you'd need a 2nd for Greene and a 3rd fr Joyner

Tell that to Tom Brady. His WRs couldn’t get separation last year, so he had to keep dumping off to White (another STA product).

Tons of NFL talent that went to STA.

@GrecoRoman

Some others on that team that had at least a stint in the NFL not mentioned.

OL  Brandon Linder

OL Jermaine Barton

CB/S Marcus Roberson  

CB Cody Riggs

There was a kid who was a stud but got injured on the DL Jelani Hamilton.   He never quite returned to good form.   He was a beast though in HS.   Played at Miami but I don't think he ever was healthy.    

@The Guru Am I missing any?

• Like 1

You'd be hard pressed to find a better pair of semifinalist losers than 2009 Florida 5A. Lakeland beat CA Open Bowl Champ De La Salle in the Bay Area, Aquinas beat Marcus Lattimore and Byrnes and had all those studs. Yet, the 5A title game was Manatee-Plant. Plant exposed Lakeland's lack of beef in the trenches. And Manatee might have been a tad out manned, but was good enough to win with a true home-field advantage. That's something a lot of teams never have to face: a true road game. STA was in a true road game at Manatee that year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 954gator said:

@GrecoRoman

OL  Brandon Linder

OL Jermaine Barton

CB/S Marcus Roberson  

CB Cody Riggs

There was a kid who was a stud but got injured on the DL Jelani Hamilton.   He never quite returned to good form.   He was a beast though in HS.   Played at Miami but I don't think he ever was healthy.    

Mike Palardy was the kicker on that team and is now the punter for the Carolina Panthers.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Buttmunch said:

Tell that to Tom Brady. His WRs couldn’t get separation last year, so he had to keep dumping off to White (another STA product).

Tons of NFL talent that went to STA.

Definitely hear you I'm a Pats fan.  I had mentioned earlier that Brady spoke of Dorsett's explosiveness in an interview but of course in the NFL you need everything to succeed.  Dorsett looks like he really didnt grow since high school (height and muscle mass) so he really had a problem being jammed at the line in the league.  No chance in hell any HS DB could have done that to him though

10 hours ago, 954gator said:

@GrecoRoman

OL  Brandon Linder

OL Jermaine Barton

CB/S Marcus Roberson  

CB Cody Riggs

Yea if someone doesnt think that team is in the convo for best ever they shold be banned from the board due to stupidity.  Their defense doesn't look anywhere near how the offense looks (just birdseye from the persective of getoffs, general movement etc)but it would suffice with an offense like that.  Plus the defense went against the offense in pratcice - wtf are they going to see that overwhelms them.

The QB looks real good as well and they are extremely balanced - moreso than any HS offense I've watched .....I'd just about dare somene to present one.  Running game, short passing game, long passing game, great screen game. 

I've watched enough of the film to know that no HS defense could stop them if healthy - period.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

09 sta vs 09 DBP.  4 all Americans on D for DBP...that would be a game...the Toal factor...plus Special Teams

DBP by 7

I liked Bosco my friends son went there but I wouldn't agree here.   This STA team was night & day to the STA teams Bosco beat.  NOt just in alent but n coaching as well.  Look at Bosco when Toal left now consider Bosco never beat a George Smith STA team.

I would never count Bosco out per se due to how well coached, great players etc but this team is a different level.  Just look at the players on Bosco how they progressed through the next level - nowhere near the STA players.(not just NFL but following year in college)    I get that doesnt mean everything but its a factor that needs to be considered.  Peppers and Yuri Wright from 2011 would be blowtorched by that WR corps (remember Peppers was just a soph and Wright was more hyped than anything - what top WR did he ever even face) let alone the 2009 Bosco DB's who I cant even name and I remember looked slow as shit.  Until 2011, I always thougt Bosco's strength was the front 7 and wekness was the back 4.  But in this case Bosco's LB's vs those  RB's in space - no way and this teams oline was by far the best Bosco would have seens also

Key is could Bosco w/their running game get the better of STA's defense, slow the game down, etc. Maybe - bu I'd bet the house Bosco's defense would be lit up

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Good post! You just gave LOS/canes/ guru serious spank material LOL

Not a knock on Bosco.  Believe me - if there were betting lines you'd never see me bet against a Toal Bosco team.  They had that factor of mental tougness he brings and played disciplined mistake free football.  Perfect example on how great Toal was - look how good all 3 of his sons were and that's rare.  And trust me - this was not due to freakish athletic ability ....Joe Defranco who trained them would verify this.  It's the lack of athletic ability that eventually stalled them out as they moved up levels but they achieved a great deal.  Toal just knew how to get the best out of every player and had real talented players to boot.

One thing about this STA I'm noticing is their screen game.  Bosco had a great blitz scheme for HS  - better than I've ever seen.  At the HS level, very few teams master the screen game which is of course the best way to make a blitzing team think twice.  Now you consider that this team was dropping it off to an option of White or Bernard with an oline like that and it just becomes hard to see how a HS defense could slow this team down.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StAllThewaY said:

Not too many losses. They probably have less losses in 5 years than two schools you guys represent had last season. Worry about your own damn schools maybe they could win a big game or two.

It was a joke jackass

I said it because I remember how many STA fans whined about the refs costing them games against Venice so I basically asking if they ever truly lose or is every loss only happening because of luck or the refs cheating them

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Yea if someone doesnt think that team is in the convo for best ever they shold be banned from the board due to stupidity.  Their defense doesn't look anywhere near how the offense looks (just birdseye from the persective of getoffs, general movement etc)but it would suffice with an offense like that.  Plus the defense went against the offense in pratcice - wtf are they going to see that overwhelms them.

The QB looks real good as well and they are extremely balanced - moreso than any HS offense I've watched .....I'd just about dare somene to present one.  Running game, short passing game, long passing game, great screen game. 

I've watched enough of the film to know that no HS defense could stop them if healthy - period.  

And just remember that the Bosa brothers weren't on that team.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:17 PM, 954gator said:

Loss to Manatee in the Semi's.   One of the biggest upsets in the playoffs.   STA has some guys out injured, but they still should have got it done.    I remember Ace Saunders having a big game for Manatee.   You know those zebras weren't going to make it easy either. 

that was a good game!

• Like 1