Northwestern of Miami vs Georgia Ranked Lowndes

GHSFPS

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Gotta admit that the Vikings dominated the Bulls. To be fair, though, by the end of the season, Northwestern, with the freshman QB running the offense, was a much better team. Not sure they could have turned the tables, though. 

I honestly thought that MNW was gonna win this game due to the talent they had. Boyyyyyy was I wrong....lol. Lowndes made it look easy. 

17 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I honestly thought that MNW was gonna win this game due to the talent they had. Boyyyyyy was I wrong....lol. Lowndes made it look easy. 

I thought it was winnable but would be tough. Playing Georgia teams in their backyard is never easy. The play basic, but fundamentally sound football up there. Also, the trip from Miami was a 7 hour one. So, not to make excuses, but it may have had an impact.

MNW was a much better team with the freshman QB (he played the second half) who took over the starting duties by mid-season. Better passer, better runner and just better pocket presence. I understand wanting to give the senior playing time, but not at the expense of the team's performance. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 5:18 PM, GHSFPS said:

Nationally Ranked Northwestern of Miami vs Georgia Ranked Lowndes with Out Takes

Hard Hitting Game!!

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiuz0qLcxvs

Enjoy and Share

GA teams typically present a bad matchup for the Miami schools.  They have the same type of talent (though on a smaller scale) but then tend to have much better coaching and QB's.  That track from south FL up through GA puts out the best talent by far - obiously other states like LA are similar but FL/GA have that connection i.e. the old school FL - Ga game was the best.  A comparitive would be that combined they have the amount of players/poulation as states like TX but moreso Cali and literally have 3x the NFL and D1 talent as the latter.

Bottom line - you come out of those states and it's going to take a lot more to surprise you as you move up in level.  (this is a huge thing - a good portion of people who can;t cut in D1 have the measurables.  Problem is - they haven competed against enough athletes n their level yet).  This also happens in progression to the NFL Reggie Bush said he realized he wasn't as good as he thought at that level which is class.  Camps and national comp help HS kids with now so we see more parity but it's not the same as seeing it consistently 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 12:07 PM, GrecoRoman said:

GA teams typically present a bad matchup for the Miami schools.  They have the same type of talent (though on a smaller scale) but then tend to have much better coaching and QB's.  That track from south FL up through GA puts out the best talent by far - obiously other states like LA are similar but FL/GA have that connection i.e. the old school FL - Ga game was the best.  A comparitive would be that combined they have the amount of players/poulation as states like TX but moreso Cali and literally have 3x the NFL and D1 talent as the latter.

Bottom line - you come out of those states and it's going to take a lot more to surprise you as you move up in level.  (this is a huge thing - a good portion of people who can;t cut in D1 have the measurables.  Problem is - they haven competed against enough athletes n their level yet).  This also happens in progression to the NFL Reggie Bush said he realized he wasn't as good as he thought at that level which is class.  Camps and national comp help HS kids with now so we see more parity but it's not the same as seeing it consistently 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter

• Thanks 1

Miami schools tend to have very aggressive D and tend have had issues in the past defending against disciplined misdirection/run option offenses.   A great example is 2010 Miami Central.   They were loaded!  

The two games they struggled that year were a loss @Camden County 45-42, and a  very close win vs local Cypress Bay 30-27  Neither should have really been close, but MC would get bit with misdirection.   

STA for example played both of those teams that same year and crushed Cypress Bay and beat Camden pretty good.   Still, MC would have given STA one hell of a tough game and likely would have been the toughest matchup for STA that year.  

6 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I second this! I've always wanted to see full highlights on that game. I was only able to catch a few highlights of that game through player's highlight tapes. 

Fla. had some athletes but Lowndes front 7 much quicker and dominant. Fla. offense looked like back yard football

1 hour ago, MTP28 said:

Fla. had some athletes but Lowndes front 7 much quicker and dominant. Fla. offense looked like back yard football

Coaching and discipline are night and day. It’s the same as two people equal In intelligence taking the same test but one studying and having notes, and the other just winging it. 

@954gator

Just an article:

Camden County Squashes Miami Central's National Title Hopes with Last-Second Field Goal

MICHAEL E. MILLER | SEPTEMBER 6, 2010 | 8:00AM
AA

The ancient Greeks dubbed it hubristic downfall. In Kingsland, Georgia, its simply called humble pie.

Whatever the name, the Miami Central Rockets were served a full plate on Friday night in a last-gasp, 45-42 loss to Georgia state champs Camden County. The Wildcats won on a 28-yard field goal as time expired to squash Central's hopes of a national championship -- , although the Rockets' state title aspirations are still very much alive after another potent display of offensive firepower.

In the end, however, Camden's ogre-like offensive line proved hungrier than a Brooklyn cop at a donut festival, swallowing Central's pursuit of perfection in a single bite.

The Rockets entered the game with both high expectations and a chip on their shoulder pad. Ranked #2 in the country by USA Today, Central was looking to prove a point after the Miami Herald picked arch rival Northwestern to win state this year.

But Camden County was ready for the Rockets, matching them point for point in front of a sell-out crowd of 10,000.

Both teams failed to find the end zone right away. With Central's star running back Devonta Freeman finding yards hard to come by, the Rockets turned to quarterback Rakeem Cato for a spark. Cato found Charles Gaines, Jr. with a short pass that the senior wide receiver turned into a 34-yard, high-stepping touchdown.

But Camden's J.J. Green instantly ran the ensuing kick-off back 90 yards to tie the game 7-7.

From there on out, the two teams traded points, with Camden scoring off of a blocked punt and an 80-yard run by halfback Kenny Hutchinson.

Controversy struck just before half-time, however, as the referees appeared to stiff Central out of at least a field goal. Cato had worked the Rockets down to the 13-yard line with 8.4 second left when the officials started the game clock before the snap. When Cato's pass was too long for wide receiver Damonte Davis, the referees failed to stop the clock, allowing the half to end instead of giving Central a chance to kick a field goal.

Head coach Telly Lockette was furious, screaming at the officials in vain before heading to the lockerroom to speak to his team, down 29-21.

The second half mirrored the first, with neither team playing much defense: the Rockets susceptible on the ground; Camden in the air. Yet Central gradually climbed its way back into the game after returning a fumble and a kickoff for touchdowns.

WE BELIEVE LOCAL JOURNALISM IS CRITICAL TO THE LIFE OF A CITY

Engaging with our readers is essential to Miami New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Miami's stories with no paywalls.

SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

But the Rockets were hapless to prevent Camden from powering the ball back down the field with run after run right up the middle, setting up the winning kick with 2.6 second left.

After the game, Camden head coach Jeff Herron called the contest "by far the best played regular season game I've ever been involved in."

"We just happened to have the ball last," he said.

Central's next game is this Friday against Madison High School in DeSoto, Texas.

Michael E. Miller was a staff writer at Miami New Times for five years. His work for New Times won many national awards, including back-to-back-to-back Sigma Delta Chi medallions. He now covers local enterprise for the Washington Post.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...