Elite 11 QBs announced

Ga96

Elite 11: Ranking the QBs After Day 1 of the 2020 Elite 11 Finals 

MURFREESBORO, Ten. -- The first day of competition is in the books at the 2020 Elite 11 Finals as some of the top quarterback prospects in the class of 2021 looked the part on Monday afternoon. 

Based solely on Monday's workout, unlike Sunday's pre-camp ranking which considered 2019 tape and other in-person evaluation, SI All-American updates its ranking of the 20 passers in attendance. 

SI All-American Ranking:

1. Caleb Williams - Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga College HS

Our staff witnessed two "misses" from Williams all night long. The athleticism, delivery, arm strength and consistent accuracy was unmatched to all on the field not named Justin Fields

2. Ty Thompson - Gilbert (Ariz.) Mesquite

After catching onlookers' attention based on an ideal frame, the Oregon commitment played the part with a big arm all evening long. Second and third level accuracy was sustained as the night wore on.

3. Miller Moss - Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

The timing, accuracy and ball placement from the USC commitment proved clean through most of the workout. 

4. J.J. McCarthy - Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

The Michigan commitment's quick release combined with the pop off his right hand resonated as others' began to wear down. 

5. Brock Vandagriff - Bogart (Ga.) Prince Avenue Christian 

Georgia's future QB came in with high expectations and he matched them on a consistent basis. There's an effortlessness in his game along with the velocity few can contend with.

6. Luke Altmyer - Starkville (Miss.)

It doesn't take long to see why he is the hottest passer on hand in terms of recruiting. Smooth, quick release with great anticipation and timing also to his name. Florida State may have to hold on for dear life here. 

7. Maddox Kopp - Houston (Texas) St. Thomas

The uncommitted Texan flashed about as well as any passer on hand during his top 10 throws, including at the end of the night in winning the rail shot challenge over Williams. 

8. Garrett Nussmeier - Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus

As sharp as any passer in attendance early in the day when it came to accuracy. The LSU commitment was comfortable off-platform as well.

9. Christian Veilleux - Potomac (Md.) The Bullis School

The Penn State pledge made consistent throws to all three levels with a couple 'wow' throws mixed in. 

10. Carlos Del Rio - Loganville (Ga.) Grayson

Early on, the future Florida QB looked like one of the top handful of prospect performers. Even with a slight drop-off as the night progressed, he looked about as good as he has in this setting.

11. Behren Morton - Eastland (Texas)

Texas Tech's quarterback commitment flashed to the second and third level all evening long. 

12. Tyler Macon - East St. Louis (Ill.)

The Missouri-bound prospect doesn't have the long ball ability of some of his peers, but the compact passer has a quick release and proves accurate. 

13. Kyle McCord - Philadelphia (Pa.) St. Joseph's Prep

Ohio State's 2021 crown jewel flashed a strong arm at times but the accuracy and consistency fell short of his peers on this night. 

14. Grayson James - Plano (Texas) John Paul II

The uncommitted Texan has a compact, yet effective delivery with adequate velocity at times. 

15. Kyron Drones - Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek

The Baylor commitment's high-arching deep ball was on display well late in the evening, where his timing lined up well. 

16. Drake Maye - Charlotte (N.C.) Myers Park

The strong arm was on display but not as much as the inconsistency in the short to intermediate routes. 

17. Tyler Buchner - La Jolla (Calif.) Helix

The Californian's delivery remained low throughout the night and the velocity didn't match what we've seen on tape. Still, the Notre Dame commitment can flash in the intermediate game. 

18. Dematrius Davis - Houston (Texas) North Shore

Auburn's dynamic commitment played high at times Monday but settled outside of the pocket well. 

19. Kaidon Salter - Cedar Hill (Texas)

The Tennessee commitment started off slow, often short on intermediate routes but rebounded some as the night progressed. 

20. Jay Allen - Fort Pierce (Fla.) John Carroll

A Florida baseball commitment, his release fluidity and accuracy fell short of his peers on this night. 

Today is the pro day workout

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Elite 11: Ranking the QBs After Day 1 of the 2020 Elite 11 Finals 

MURFREESBORO, Ten. -- The first day of competition is in the books at the 2020 Elite 11 Finals as some of the top quarterback prospects in the class of 2021 looked the part on Monday afternoon. 

Based solely on Monday's workout, unlike Sunday's pre-camp ranking which considered 2019 tape and other in-person evaluation, SI All-American updates its ranking of the 20 passers in attendance. 

SI All-American Ranking:

1. Caleb Williams - Washington (D.C.) Gonzaga College HS

Our staff witnessed two "misses" from Williams all night long. The athleticism, delivery, arm strength and consistent accuracy was unmatched to all on the field not named Justin Fields

2. Ty Thompson - Gilbert (Ariz.) Mesquite

After catching onlookers' attention based on an ideal frame, the Oregon commitment played the part with a big arm all evening long. Second and third level accuracy was sustained as the night wore on.

3. Miller Moss - Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

The timing, accuracy and ball placement from the USC commitment proved clean through most of the workout. 

4. J.J. McCarthy - Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

The Michigan commitment's quick release combined with the pop off his right hand resonated as others' began to wear down. 

5. Brock Vandagriff - Bogart (Ga.) Prince Avenue Christian 

Georgia's future QB came in with high expectations and he matched them on a consistent basis. There's an effortlessness in his game along with the velocity few can contend with.

6. Luke Altmyer - Starkville (Miss.)

It doesn't take long to see why he is the hottest passer on hand in terms of recruiting. Smooth, quick release with great anticipation and timing also to his name. Florida State may have to hold on for dear life here. 

7. Maddox Kopp - Houston (Texas) St. Thomas

The uncommitted Texan flashed about as well as any passer on hand during his top 10 throws, including at the end of the night in winning the rail shot challenge over Williams. 

8. Garrett Nussmeier - Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus

As sharp as any passer in attendance early in the day when it came to accuracy. The LSU commitment was comfortable off-platform as well.

9. Christian Veilleux - Potomac (Md.) The Bullis School

The Penn State pledge made consistent throws to all three levels with a couple 'wow' throws mixed in. 

10. Carlos Del Rio - Loganville (Ga.) Grayson

Early on, the future Florida QB looked like one of the top handful of prospect performers. Even with a slight drop-off as the night progressed, he looked about as good as he has in this setting.

11. Behren Morton - Eastland (Texas)

Texas Tech's quarterback commitment flashed to the second and third level all evening long. 

12. Tyler Macon - East St. Louis (Ill.)

The Missouri-bound prospect doesn't have the long ball ability of some of his peers, but the compact passer has a quick release and proves accurate. 

13. Kyle McCord - Philadelphia (Pa.) St. Joseph's Prep

Ohio State's 2021 crown jewel flashed a strong arm at times but the accuracy and consistency fell short of his peers on this night. 

14. Grayson James - Plano (Texas) John Paul II

The uncommitted Texan has a compact, yet effective delivery with adequate velocity at times. 

15. Kyron Drones - Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek

The Baylor commitment's high-arching deep ball was on display well late in the evening, where his timing lined up well. 

16. Drake Maye - Charlotte (N.C.) Myers Park

The strong arm was on display but not as much as the inconsistency in the short to intermediate routes. 

17. Tyler Buchner - La Jolla (Calif.) Helix

The Californian's delivery remained low throughout the night and the velocity didn't match what we've seen on tape. Still, the Notre Dame commitment can flash in the intermediate game. 

18. Dematrius Davis - Houston (Texas) North Shore

Auburn's dynamic commitment played high at times Monday but settled outside of the pocket well. 

19. Kaidon Salter - Cedar Hill (Texas)

The Tennessee commitment started off slow, often short on intermediate routes but rebounded some as the night progressed. 

20. Jay Allen - Fort Pierce (Fla.) John Carroll

A Florida baseball commitment, his release fluidity and accuracy fell short of his peers on this night. 

Today is the pro day workout

Dematrius Davis seems kinda low. Maybe it's just one bad day. Surprised to see Carlos Del Rio that much higher than Davis.

1 minute ago, HurricaneNick said:

Ty Thompson is really freaking good. Ohio St commit Kyle Mccord leading after 6 Qb's, 14 more to go.  Wind starting to pick up, had to move locations due to weather. 

Thanks for the updates! Good to know that Kyle McCord is performing well, I need to him perform after Fields leaves for the big leagues. Hopefully Carlos Del Rio and Brock Vandagriff are doing well, too. Georgia represent!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Thanks for the updates! Good to know that Kyle McCord is performing well, I need to him perform after Fields leaves for the big leagues. Hopefully Carlos Del Rio and Brock Vandagriff are doing well, too. Georgia represent!

Kyle looked really good. Built well too. Vandagriff & Del Rio have not gone yet. & for what its worth JJ Mccarthy (U Mich commit)  underdelivered big time, believe he has the second lowest score of all Q's thus far. Still half of the group to go though. 

Kyle looked really good. Built well too. Vandagriff & Del Rio have not gone yet. & for what its worth JJ Mccarthy (U Mich commit)  underdelivered big time, believe he has the second lowest score of all Q's thus far. Still half of the group to go though. 

Cool, thanks! And yesss, screw you Xichigan!!! I'll probably tune in right now on Instagram.

Demetrius Davis missing on a few throws. Could have led the receiver more on the first deep pass, but did good on the second. He's not looking too sharp out here. Several passes are either behind the receiver or not in the receiver's range. Weak start, but semi-strong finish.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ngdawg said:

Demetrius Davis missing on a few throws. Could have led the receiver more on the first deep pass, but did good on the second. He's not looking too sharp out here. Several passes are either behind the receiver or not in the receiver's range.

Was just going to say this. Good shit man. I do also have to say that Demetrius is a freak athlete and his legs open up the passing lanes. He's got 2 state titles at the highest level though, kid can play for me any day. A winner. 

Was just going to say this. Good shit man. I do also have to say that Demetrius is a freak athlete and his legs open up the passing lanes. He's got 2 state titles at the highest level though, kid can play for me any day. A winner. 

Demetrius can perform on the field, but workouts like these don't seem to be his cup of tea. He has great rushing ability as well, almost Lamar Jackson like. He seems to handle game settings well, but not necessarily televised workouts. He's definitely got some room to improve, but I like what he's done at North Shore the past couple years. Can't wait to see the next batch of quarterbacks perform. Are you planning on watching the whole thing?

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Demetrius can perform on the field, but workouts like these don't seem to be his cup of tea. He has great rushing ability as well, almost Lamar Jackson like. He seems to handle game settings well, but not necessarily televised workouts. He's definitely got some room to improve, but I like what he's done at North Shore the past couple years. Can't wait to see the next batch of quarterbacks perform. Are you planning on watching the whole thing?

Yep. These competitions are not indicative of on field performance. At the end of the day they are throwing against air. Last year CJ Stroud won the Elite 11 as the "nations best quarterback" but in reality was the 3rd best quarterback in California alone. Ill watch the entire thing if Miller Moss performs well ..... haha just kidding yeah I'm tuned in. Only football we got rn. 

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

Yep. These competitions are not indicative of on field performance. At the end of the day they are throwing against air. Last year CJ Stroud won the Elite 11 as the "nations best quarterback" but in reality was the 3rd best quarterback in California alone. Ill watch the entire thing if Miller Moss performs well ..... haha just kidding yeah I'm tuned in. Only football we got rn. 

Yeah, Stroud definitely wasn't the best. And of course, Miller Moss is a Monarch. You know I'm tuned in just to see my GA quarterbacks dominate (or fail). I've seen Carlos Del Rio play for the past three years when North Gwinnett played McEachern, and to me, he's just above average. I would like to see him prove me wrong.

Just now, ngdawg said:

Yeah, Stroud definitely wasn't the best. And of course, Miller Moss is a Monarch. You know I'm tuned in just to see my GA quarterbacks dominate (or fail). I've seen Carlos Del Rio play for the past three years when North Gwinnett played McEachern, and to me, he's just above average. I would like to see him prove me wrong.

I don't know much about Del Rio but I am eager to see vandagriff toss the rock, have heard a bunch of hype but can't look past that schedule he played. If he played for my GA team Buford I'd be sold. Ty Buchner up now! 

• Like 1

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

I don't know much about Del Rio but I am eager to see vandagriff toss the rock, have heard a bunch of hype but can't look past that schedule he played. If he played for my GA team Buford I'd be sold. Ty Buchner up now! 

Buchner missing on those deep and outside throws. He's getting better towards the middle, but some passes are still behind the receiver or a little high. Good footwork after the snap, and I like his rollout. If the receivers were running at game speed, some of his throws may be off the mark. Shaky start, but stronger finish. Definitely stronger on his deep throws later on, with better accuracy and placement. Overall, he did pretty good and I'm satisfied.

• Thanks 1