Most painful loss you watched your high school team have any sport?

HooverOutlaw

24 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

1989 Tennessee AAA quarter-finals. Oak Ridge came into Murfreesboro unbeaten and ranked #1 in the state (#15 nationally USAT) and got stunned by Oakland 17-15. I was a sophomore LB on that team. Missed out on my shot at a gold ring. 

Mike Borum 6' 9" basketballer, ring a bell?

Probably graduated 79-80.

bgw

3 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Mike Borum 6' 9" basketballer, ring a bell?

Probably graduated 79-80.

bgw

I don’t remember the name, but Oak Ridge has always been pretty good at basketball (guys and girls). Too bad our football team has fallen off the map. The last 20 years have been dominated by Maryville in the Knoxville area. Oak Ridge USED to be the top dog. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I don’t remember the name, but Oak Ridge has always been pretty good at basketball (guys and girls). Too bad our football team has fallen off the map. The last 20 years have been dominated by Maryville in the Knoxville area. Oak Ridge USED to be the top dog. 

Late bloomer, I think played just his senior year.... no biggie, a JUCO teammate.

bgw

1989 State Championship game...SJR vs SPP.......SJR had won back to back states...( my team)...going for three peat.......D1 RB going in to end the game....hit fumbles on the 1/2 foot line...SPP recovers....we have a 4 pt lead...I think....they go 99 yards ...score and touchdown and....run out the clock and win the game.....was brutal.....to the program for several years....did not win states again until 1995.....

11 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Carmel Padres vato!!!

So you're telling me you've never seen a painful loss by Carmel? What about the 28-27 loss against Everett Alvarez? Or a 35-34 loss against Aptos? Or the 69-61 loss against 2-loss Templeton? I'm sure you've had your fair share of heartbreaking losses, even if you won't admit it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

So you're telling me you've never seen a painful loss by Carmel? What about the 28-27 loss against Everett Alvarez? Or a 35-34 loss against Aptos? Or the 69-61 loss against 2-loss Templeton? I'm sure you've had your fair share of heartbreaking losses, even if you won't admit it.

Curse you google!!!!

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

The kid is good we gotta give him that! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There have been several that hurt but I think Grayson v Peachtree Ridge in the semi final in 2008.  The temp was in the teens and the wind was blowing.  It hurt to be outside.  Our long snapper and kicker had been perfect all season.  That night the long snapper had FOUR bad snaps that should have been gimme field goals.  Any one of the four would have won the game.  Instead we lose 10-13 in double overtime.  What made that game so painful was it wasn't just one play that we had the chance to win with.  Four separate times.  Nada.  After a season of near perfection kicking wise.  And we lost on the kicking game.

That was the year Lowndes came to see us in the quarter final and we jumped up and beat them and they lost their cool.  It was also the first year we beat Brookwood.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fred said:

There have been several that hurt but I think Grayson v Peachtree Ridge in the semi final in 2008.  The temp was in the teens and the wind was blowing.  It hurt to be outside.  Our long snapper and kicker had been perfect all season.  That night the long snapper had FOUR bad snaps that should have been gimme field goals.  Any one of the four would have won the game.  Instead we lose 10-13 in double overtime.  What made that game so painful was it wasn't just one play that we had the chance to win with.  Four separate times.  Nada.  After a season of near perfection kicking wise.  And we lost on the kicking game.

That was the year Lowndes came to see us in the quarter final and we jumped up and beat them and they lost their cool.  It was also the first year we beat Brookwood.

Was that the year the championship ended in a tie? I can't remember if it was then or earlier.

3 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Say @954gator... wouldn't you say the STA loss to BG in 16 was painful? Watching QB1 right now and that episode was on. STA definitely let BG off the hook....smh. Great game nonetheless. 

I dunno for some reason that one didn’t hurt that bad.   STA probably should have won it after the goal line stand, but shit happens.   They played great vs the #1 team on the road and held an “unstoppable” offense in check.  I dunno  STA had a loss already and honestly if BG didn’t win there would have been an unworthy MNC in my opinion.  It’s funny when you look at the game thread for that game I actually posted that I wished the teams could tie.  (posted this when STA was basically a shoe in to win before the missed kick)  

STA should have beaten those two Bosco teams by a couple scores IMO but they played like a pop warner team on offense.   The first loss to DBP was also STA’s first OOS defeat so it hurt a good bit more.

Lakeland 06 was one of the most improbable comeback attempts I’ve seen and it looked like STA was going to actually win it.   If you haven’t seen clips of that game you need to.   They were so close to getting revenge for the thrashings they took in 04 and 05.   Instead there was a 50/50 call that went the other way and Lakeland 3peated.   What’s worse is I had to listen to that game on the damn radio live as I was out of town and my DVR cut short of overtime when I got home 😂.   

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, MD87 said:

I really do.  The 56-3 shellacking at the hands of Ike had to hurt, I'm sure, but when you're the #1 team in the nation and you're up 28-5 in 3Q against the same team you handled with ease weeks earlier and collapse like that?  For the section championship and the chance to play for your third straight Natty?  I defy anyone to name a more gut-wrenching MD loss than that.  It must (will!) be avenged.

Rollo hates talking about this game to this day...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddyr2 said:

Rollo hates talking about this game to this day...

Getting slaughtered 56-3, I don't blame him at all, I wonder where he ranks the 1997 CIF title game loss to LB Poly at the Coliseum, by the score 28-25, even though they would get sweet revenge the following year.

I believe for basketball, McKnight feels it's the 1984 CIF title game loss to LB Poly. As said by another user.

Outside of MD, and even though they are retired, I wonder which loss stings or hurts the most for John Barnes of Los Alamitos, and Bob Johnson of El Toro/Mission Viejo.

3 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Getting slaughtered 56-3, I don't blame him at all, I wonder where he ranks the 1997 CIF title game loss to LB Poly at the Coliseum, by the score 28-25, even though they would get sweet revenge the following year.

I believe for basketball, McKnight feels it's the 1984 CIF title game loss to LB Poly. As said by another user.

Outside of MD, and even though they are retired, I wonder which loss stings or hurts the most for John Barnes of Los Alamitos, and Bob Johnson of El Toro/Mission Viejo.

That was me that said for MD basketball it was the 1984 championship loss to LB Poly. The team returned 5 starters from the 83 championship team and their only other loss that season was to DeMatha which was a matchup of the top 2 teams in the country. McKnight will be the first to admit he forced the action too much to Tom Lewis.

For football the most painful was the 2019 CIF championship loss to Bosco. By far! The 56-3 game was indeed an embarrassing ass kicking but it didn’t hurt nearly as much. Honestly the 2016 loss to Bosco in the final was worse than 56-3. We were undefeated going into that game. Wyatt Davis single handily imposed his will and bludgeoned the MD defensive line that night.

• Like 3