Spoke to a COVID doctor today. His thoughts on...

ngdawg

high school sports returning: all sports should be delayed, but it definitely should happen. At the professional level, it's less about the players and more about the workers in the arena/stadium without a job.

the second wave: we are currently in the second wave, and it's important to realize that. Things have to change quickly.

biggest fears of doctors nationwide: doctors don't mind getting sick on the job, that is not a concern. The concern is the family back home.

those who claim that masks reduce oxygen intake: especially for N95s, it's simply an excuse. N95 masks provide exactly the same oxygen intake as opposed to not wearing a mask. You could run a marathon in both and not feel a difference.

students returning to school: if the right precautions are taken, it is safe to return to school. The risk is worth taking because it's greater than the payoff of online school.

convincing others who don't believe COVID is something to worry about: lead by example. Make the non-mask wearers feel like a minority so that they are positively peer pressured to wear masks. People don't really believe in the virus until one of their loved ones or distant family gets affected. Encouraging non-believers to read stories online about the virus's deadly impact is important, as well.

the biggest worries while shopping: the biggest source of COVID in stores is close contact with others. The second biggest is wearing gloves. Don't worry about the groceries themselves, it is very unlikely that the virus is transmitted through vegetables and other goods. 

wearing gloves to grocery stores: extremely counterintuitive. Do not wear gloves. The gloves attract the particles and allow them to stick to the glove's surface. People can subconsciously touch their face with a glove without even realizing it. Also, a simple shake of the glove can release those particles right next to your body, immediately infecting you. Unless you wash your gloves each time you come home, never wear them. Wearing gloves makes others believe that they can skip washing their hands, and that is the worst misconception of them all. The only thing you should be wearing to a grocery store is a mask.

staying healthy: use basic hygiene. Coughing into your arm or mask and washing your hands periodically should keep you safe for good. Encourage others to the same.

reassuring loved ones who are older: always trust and believe. Never take unnecessary risks and push your kids/grandkids to take precautions. Don't fear, believe.

social gatherings: small gatherings are fine if proper precautions are taken. Groups over 20 should not be allowed, even if precautions are taken. 

businesses opening: it needs to happen, but not now. We should take let the virus recede a little (so a few months later) and then proceed with proper precautions. Lives are greater than business.

a final message to everyone: wash your hands, wear a mask, and be smart. This is not a joke, but together we can get through this.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

high school sports returning: all sports should be delayed, but it definitely should happen. At the professional level, it's less about the players and more about the workers in the arena/stadium without a job.

the second wave: we are currently in the second wave, and it's important to realize that. Things have to change quickly.

biggest fears of doctors nationwide: doctors don't mind getting sick on the job, that is not a concern. The concern is the family back home.

those who claim that masks reduce oxygen intake: especially for N95s, it's simply an excuse. N95 masks provide exactly the same oxygen intake as opposed to not wearing a mask. You could run a marathon in both and not feel a difference.

students returning to school: if the right precautions are taken, it is safe to return to school. The risk is worth taking because it's greater than the payoff of online school.

convincing others who don't believe COVID is something to worry about: lead by example. Make the non-mask wearers feel like a minority so that they are positively peer pressured to wear masks. People don't really believe in the virus until one of their loved ones or distant family gets affected. Encouraging non-believers to read stories online about the virus's deadly impact is important, as well.

the biggest worries while shopping: the biggest source of COVID in stores is close contact with others. The second biggest is wearing gloves. Don't worry about the groceries themselves, it is very unlikely that the virus is transmitted through vegetables and other goods. 

wearing gloves to grocery stores: extremely counterintuitive. Do not wear gloves. The gloves attract the particles and allow them to stick to the glove's surface. People can subconsciously touch their face with a glove without even realizing it. Also, a simple shake of the glove can release those particles right next to your body, immediately infecting you. Unless you wash your gloves each time you come home, never wear them. Wearing gloves makes others believe that they can skip washing their hands, and that is the worst misconception of them all. The only thing you should be wearing to a grocery store is a mask.

staying healthy: use basic hygiene. Coughing into your arm or mask and washing your hands periodically should keep you safe for good. Encourage others to the same.

reassuring loved ones who are older: always trust and believe. Never take unnecessary risks and push your kids/grandkids to take precautions. Don't fear, believe.

social gatherings: small gatherings are fine if proper precautions are taken. Groups over 20 should not be allowed, even if precautions are taken. 

businesses opening: it needs to happen, but not now. We should take let the virus recede a little (so a few months later) and then proceed with proper precautions. Lives are greater than business.

a final message to everyone: wash your hands, wear a mask, and be smart. This is not a joke, but together we can get through this.

That statement " You can run a marathon in both and not feel a difference " is a crock of shit . Why don't you go and try it !  All masks impede breathing .  The real benefit of a mask is to protect one from one's self from inadvertently touching face or nose , which we all do whether we realize it or not .   

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

The real benefit of a mask is to decrease the distance your breath travels to affect the other people around you. 6ft. of distance between two people is without a mask, but, your breath can't travel that far with a mask on so you are protecting others more than yourself by wearing the mask. It does also keep you from touching your face but, for the most part the mask is meant to keep me from spreading it to you or you from spreading it to others in a confined space by impeding the distance our breath travels. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The real benefit of a mask is to decrease the distance your breath travels to affect the other people around you. 6ft. of distance between two people is without a mask, but, your breath can't travel that far with a mask on so you are protecting others more than yourself by wearing the mask. It does also keep you from touching your face but, for the most part the mask is meant to keep me from spreading it to you or you from spreading it to others in a confined space by impeding the distance our breath travels. 

The doctor said that unselfishness is what will save us. We shouldn't wear masks for ourselves: we should wear it for others. And for some people, they can't think beyond themselves.

• Like 2

Just wanted to share this for your information and to stay educated from someone who is an expert in his field. I bet you all have criticisms, but I trust the doctor's words because I am not educated enough to defend any other standpoint. He took time away from the hospital to speak, so I would value his opinion. This is just how I feel though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Just wanted to share this for your information and to stay educated from someone who is an expert in his field. I bet you all have criticisms, but I trust the doctor's words because I am not educated enough to defend any other standpoint. He took time away from the hospital to speak, so I would value his opinion. This is just how I feel though.

(Patiently waiting for someone to say that your post is bullshit)

And sadly, you know it's coming... 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

If you can get in touch with him again, can you ask him about air travel during this time? What precautions should one take to protect themselves when traveling by plane and visiting different airports? 

I will try to. Good question.

• Thanks 1

I do think that masks can impede breathing. I wear an N95 mask for my work at times and if you sweat and the mask soaks with sweat, believe me, your breathing is then impaired vastly compared to not wearing a mask. Basically, not really feasible to wear for sports unless its more like a face wrap than a layered mask for instance. 

In a shopping type atmosphere where you aren't exerting a lot of energy and producing sweat, they are much more easy to manage. 

There is certainly downsides to the masks aside from just looking abnormal. They really aren't going to protect you from getting the virus as much as they're keeping you from potentially spreading the virus once you have it. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I do think that masks can impede breathing. I wear an N95 mask for my work at times and if you sweat and the mask soaks with sweat, believe me, your breathing is then impaired vastly compared to not wearing a mask. Basically, not really feasible to wear for sports unless its more like a face wrap than a layered mask for instance. 

In a shopping type atmosphere where you aren't exerting a lot of energy and producing sweat, they are much more easy to manage. 

There is certainly downsides to the masks aside from just looking abnormal. They really aren't going to protect you from getting the virus as much as they're keeping you from potentially spreading the virus once you have it. 

But you are working from the premise that we all have the virus , when in fact , very few percentage wise have it . My point is , that if we all be our own doctors and methodically , even selfishly take care of ourselves, we are by default taking care of others also .  Actually , all these things ( masks not included ), are practices that should be done always , pre pandemic, post pandemic, whatever . Wicked influenza seasons that happen every year should also be respected . Being cognizant of keeping a distance from others so that one doesn't hack or sneeze on you, or visa versa , is common sense .  Washing your hands consistently also . The top priority of keeping healthy has always been keeping your hands from your nose , face, and eyes . These are the gateways to virtually all viruses because we touch hundreds of items each day ( unless we are Howard Hughes ) , though we may not come into personal contact with someone that has the virus . Unfortunately, it is almost impossible  to do . I catch myself doing this all the time , though I know better .

When it comes to N95 masks , It appears the doctor above doesn't know his stuff. I work in an industry that requires all kinds of masks for different situations . OSHA requires medical clearance for wearing the N95 masks when doling them out ,  because they are known for impeding breathing and can be a health hazard in and of themselves for some people . Personally , I will wear the mask when in a store to respect other people's concerns , even though I don't buy into that they will keep me from getting the virus. The other practices I posted above, I believe are the true measures , that if followed , will greatly increase my chances of " Not "  getting the virus .  This, by the way , was all explained to me at the beginning of this whole pandemic , by a health professional . So not all doctors agree . 

3 hours ago, ngdawg said:

The doctor said that unselfishness is what will save us. We shouldn't wear masks for ourselves: we should wear it for others. And for some people, they can't think beyond themselves.

If saving us depends on this then we are truly fucked.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

But you are working from the premise that we all have the virus , when in fact , very few percentage wise have it . My point is , that if we all be our own doctors and methodically , even selfishly take care of ourselves, we are by default taking care of others also .  Actually , all these things ( masks not included ), are practices that should be done always , pre pandemic, post pandemic, whatever . Wicked influenza seasons that happen every year should also be respected . Being cognizant of keeping a distance from others so that one doesn't hack or sneeze on you, or visa versa , is common sense .  Washing your hands consistently also . The top priority of keeping healthy has always been keeping your hands from your nose , face, and eyes . These are the gateways to virtually all viruses because we touch hundreds of items each day ( unless we are Howard Hughes ) , though we may not come into personal contact with someone that has the virus . Unfortunately, it is almost impossible  to do . I catch myself doing this all the time , though I know better .

When it comes to N95 masks , It appears the doctor above doesn't know his stuff. I work in an industry that requires all kinds of masks for different situations . OSHA requires medical clearance for wearing the N95 masks when doling them out ,  because they are known for impeding breathing and can be a health hazard in and of themselves for some people . Personally , I will wear the mask when in a store to respect other people's concerns , even though I don't buy into that they will keep me from getting the virus. The other practices I posted above, I believe are the true measures , that if followed , will greatly increase my chances of " Not "  getting the virus .  This, by the way , was all explained to me at the beginning of this whole pandemic , by a health professional . So not all doctors agree . 

If we do not know whether or not we have the virus, we should start from the premise we might have it and could spread it. 

If you are getting tested and cleared daily, then you can operate from the premise you don't, but it isn't likely that we are getting tested frequently enough to be certain we haven't become infected since the last time we got checked, assuming of course we've even been checked yet. 

Not saying you directly, but, us in general. 

I'm about over this thing as is everyone else, but, that doesn't make it disappear. This shit is cramping my style in sports, dining, recreation and just in general. xD

• Like 2

The sports angle for this thing is complicated imo.

For pro players and a lesser extent, college players, these are adults able to make their own decisions. They already have their scholarships or big contracts, so, they can make educated decisions on their own health and whether the teams or leagues are doing the right things to help them protect their own health. 

For high school athletes and students, I think there has to be extra levels of protection from their leagues, school systems and parents. These are generally minor children that can easily feel pressured to go into unsafe health situations in order to achieve a scholarship offer or just suffer from peer pressure in general. Parents should of course be their first line of protection and defense, but, so then next should the high school associations, school systems, schools and eventually even coaches and teachers. Protect, protect, protect. These are minor children. 

10 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The sports angle for this thing is complicated imo.

For pro players and a lesser extent, college players, these are adults able to make their own decisions. They already have their scholarships or big contracts, so, they can make educated decisions on their own health and whether the teams or leagues are doing the right things to help them protect their own health. 

For high school athletes and students, I think there has to be extra levels of protection from their leagues, school systems and parents. These are generally minor children that can easily feel pressured to go into unsafe health situations in order to achieve a scholarship offer or just suffer from peer pressure in general. Parents should of course be their first line of protection and defense, but, so then next should the high school associations, school systems, schools and eventually even coaches and teachers. Protect, protect, protect. These are minor children. 

And then the GHSA says 7 on 7 intersquad scrimmages are allowed. This situation is truly terrible.

1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

And then the GHSA says 7 on 7 intersquad scrimmages are allowed. This situation is truly terrible.

I think they are taking into account that these scrimmages are outdoors. That does make a difference. Couple that with visors inside the helmet and perhaps it's as safe as you could get and still actually have football. 

I'm more concerned about weight rooms film rooms and locker rooms being the places where its more likely to be spread.

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think they are taking into account that these scrimmages are outdoors. That does make a difference. Couple that with visors inside the helmet and perhaps it's as safe as you could get and still actually have football. 

I'm more concerned about weight rooms film rooms and locker rooms being the places where its more likely to be spread.

See, but I don't feel like there should be an extension of freedom when the basics (locker rooms/film rooms) cannot be properly secured and safe. 

Film can be done with some social distancing as the kids are usually divided into groups like safeties, linemen, line backers and etc. for their in house film study. 

Weight lifting is more of a challenge as a spotter is needed for lifts. 

Locker rooms, you have instruct them to and then trust the kids will maintain a distance. 

It's virtually impossible to remove all risk. These have to be decisions made between parents, the kids and the school. 

Not dissimilar to giving a kid keys to your car. You know and understand there is a risk involved with doing so, but, also understand that in this life, we do take calculated risks all the time. 

If mom, dad or grams live in the home with kid and they are at elevated risk due to some known factors, then they have to make a tough decision about whether the risk of their kid becoming infected also affects them to the point it is not worth the risks. 

Welcome to adult decision making and real life struggles with making decisions that not only potentially affect yourself, but, those around you. 

• Like 1

Scrimmages and conditioning are an integral part of the overall safety of the sport. Without those components in the lead up to a season, it's going to be a mess. Kids getting injured, overheating, falling out and etc. 

It's going to be a wacky season as it is with such limited practices and all as we have had already.