Revisiting the national rankings 2004

954gator

21 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yea, its really unfortunate that their league wasn't good. Also undefeated X was upset in the regional semis against Moeller (whom X had beat previously.) Moeller was a pretty good team that year, but didnt carry the weight of an undefeated X........We also heard all season that Eds or Glenville would be able to challenge for the title. Glenville beat Eds then lost a shocker to McKinley..... McKinley came out fired up against Colerain, but besides their star RB and LB, they had no chance. Moeller was far better than McKinley.

What’s the coaching situation at Colerain?

For a program to be this consistantly good I would imagine there has been a good deal of continuity in the coaching staff.

Is the current HC nearing retirement, or are any other changes on the horizon?

10 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Does anybody know where I can buy a reasonably priced time machine? 

No covid 19 back in 2004!

And nobody talking about Folsom. 

sadly, i don't see Mission Viejo or Corona Centennial, climbing the national rankings that high ever again, or any California Public School for that matter. Hopefully i'm proven wrong.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:51 PM, SeaShells21 said:

GSB stated in a different thread the possibility of a team benefiting from the wins and success of another team. Perhaps that what happened with Carroll here:

1.) Carroll blows out Texas #22 Midland Lee 45 - 15.

Not so impressive other than the fact that Midland Lee blew out an up and coming Euless Trinity 56 - 32. Euless Trinity went on to run the tables in the 5A Division 1 state playoffs before running into eventual 5A Division 1 state champion #10 Tyler Lee in the fourth round. Euless Trinity had already beaten #10 Tyler Lee 42 - 39 earlier in the season but lost the playoffs rematch. That trickles down to Carrol. 

“>” = “Beat”

Euless Trinity: Beat 5A Division 1 state champion 42 -  Tyler Lee 39;

Midland Lee 56 > Euless Trinity 32

Carroll 45 > Midland Lee 15

2.) [13-2] Lufkin who finished #2 in Texas had also beaten #10 Tyler Lee 44 - 33 earlier in the season. 

#1 Carroll took out #2 Lufkin in the 5A Division 2 state semifinals 37 - 30.

3.) Longview who finished #5 in Texas; along with Abilene who finished #3 in Texas both defeated Louisiana State champion Evangel Chris. Academy. Both were undefeated throughout the year until they fell in the playoffs.

Abilene was taken out in the third round by Carroll 35 - 30.

Longview was taken out by Lufkin in the third round 31 - 21.

All of that success again may have trickled down to Carroll:

#3 Abilene/ #5 Longview >  🥇Evangel C.A.

Carroll > #3 Abilene > 🥇Evangel

Carroll > #2 Lufkin > #5 Longview > 🥇Evangel

Both Lufkin/ Longview > 🥇Tyler Lee 5A Division 1 state champion.

To be honest, it looks like the perfect alignment of events happened to make Carroll possibly appear stronger than they actually were. 

We’ll never actually know.

Anyway, here’s a video of the playoff game between Tyler Lee vs Euless Trinity [Round 4 Playoffs]: What do you guys think of them compared to Carroll?

REL also played without 3 linebackers for those games. Players they got back in the playoffs

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Wosinc said:

What’s the coaching situation at Colerain?

For a program to be this consistantly good I would imagine there has been a good deal of continuity in the coaching staff.

Is the current HC nearing retirement, or are any other changes on the horizon?

There definitely has been continuity. We've had 3 coaches since the early 90's, and many coaches/former players fill the voids when coaches leave/get promoted.

While Colerain has historically been a solid program, they really became a force when alumnus Kerry Coombs took over the struggling program as head coach in the early 90's. Coombs was coach until 2006, when he left to coach DB's/Special Teams/recruiting at University of Cincinnati. (He coached there for awhile before Urban Meyer wanted him at Ohio State and Coombs accepted. He became one of the best recruiters and DB coaches in the country there as well as coaching special teams. 2 years ago he left Ohio St. to coach DB's in the NFL for the Tennessee Titans. After last season, Ohio State set its eyes on getting Coombs back as Defensive Coordinator, and Coombs accepted. *Side note, Coombs' son Brayden Coombs was coaching special teams for the Cincinnati Bengals and just got promoted recently to Special Teams Coordinator for the Detroit Lions.)

After Coombs left Colerain, Tom Bolden, alumnus and QB coach under Coombs, took over as Head Coach + Offensive Coordinator. He kept the train rolling until last year when he accepted a much better paying position as Head Coach at Lakota West, another school in Colerain's Conference. (*Bolden's son Joe Bolden was coaching with Washington State, then USC, now is coaching at Ohio State.)

Last season Colerain announced that the new Head Coach would be longtime Colerain Defensive Coordinator Shawn Cutright, whom first started coaching with Colerain in 2004, and became D Coordinator around 2007? Despite concerns over losing almost the entire offense, half the defense, and Offensive Coordinator/head coach; Colerain overachieved last year.

The Colerain coaching footprint is all around the city too. Former coaches and players now make up a lot of coaching staffs around the city, and Colerain now has many former players in big time positions. In Cincinnati's big 10 team public school conference, the GMC, 4 of the teams (Lakota East, Lakota West, Oak Hills, Colerain) are coached by former Colerain Coordinators or coaches. St. X, Princeton, Elder, all have/had some of our coaches too. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, ngdawg said:

Here's something interesting, @954gator. Both Lowndes and Camden County are from the same region, Region 1. And there are only 4 teams in that region. Yet somehow both teams end up ranked in the top 25 nationally. 

There were more than 4 back then. Valdosta and Coffee Co were both in the region at that time, as well as some Houston Co teams. But yes, Lowndes and Camden were powerhouses at that time, but Camden may not have been in our region then.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, Coletrain06 said:

There definitely has been continuity. We've had 3 coaches since the early 90's, and many coaches/former players fill the voids when coaches leave/get promoted.

While Colerain has historically been a solid program, they really became a force when alumnus Kerry Coombs took over the struggling program as head coach in the early 90's. Coombs was coach until 2006, when he left to coach DB's/Special Teams/recruiting at University of Cincinnati. (He coached there for awhile before Urban Meyer wanted him at Ohio State and Coombs accepted. He became one of the best recruiters and DB coaches in the country there as well as coaching special teams. 2 years ago he left Ohio St. to coach DB's in the NFL for the Tennessee Titans. After last season, Ohio State set its eyes on getting Coombs back as Defensive Coordinator, and Coombs accepted. *Side note, Coombs' son Brayden Coombs was coaching special teams for the Cincinnati Bengals and just got promoted recently to Special Teams Coordinator for the Detroit Lions.)

After Coombs left Colerain, Tom Bolden, alumnus and QB coach under Coombs, took over as Head Coach + Offensive Coordinator. He kept the train rolling until last year when he accepted a much better paying position as Head Coach at Lakota West, another school in Colerain's Conference. (*Bolden's son Joe Bolden was coaching with Washington State, then USC, now is coaching at Ohio State.)

Last season Colerain announced that the new Head Coach would be longtime Colerain Defensive Coordinator Shawn Cutright, whom first started coaching with Colerain in 2004, and became D Coordinator around 2007? Despite concerns over losing almost the entire offense, half the defense, and Offensive Coordinator/head coach; Colerain overachieved last year.

The Colerain coaching footprint is all around the city too. Former coaches and players now make up a lot of coaching staffs around the city, and Colerain now has many former players in big time positions. In Cincinnati's big 10 team public school conference, the GMC, 4 of the teams (Lakota East, Lakota West, Oak Hills, Colerain) are coached by former Colerain Coordinators or coaches. St. X, Princeton, Elder, all have/had some of our coaches too. 

Impressive.

Stability explains a lot 👍.

On 7/8/2020 at 3:39 PM, 954gator said:

For Florida I think Lakeland is a bit underrated.   They really put it on STA that year.   

2004 was the year I argued Lakeland shouldn't be much higher in the rankings. That was the year Lake Gibson broke open a close game and beat Lakeland 28-6 in the kickoff classic (didn't count in the record). I've always noted Lakeland plays those games at 100% to win, as do their opponents. So, when I argue an impressive showing in such a game should be considered in rankings, I have to be consistent and say a poor showing also should be considered. It was a fairly sophomore-dominated team that figured to make a big jump over 15 games from August to December. And Lake Gibson would go to its second straight state title game. But, LG got hammered vs. Armwood the second time. The best a homer like I can do, given the 28-6 loss the first time, is argue that Lakeland would have won a rematch vs. LG. But, that wouldn't be enough to argue Lakeland should have been top 5-10. They would have been dangerous in matching up with many ahead of them, but didn't deserve to be much higher than they were.

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

2004 was the year I argued Lakeland shouldn't be much higher in the rankings. That was the year Lake Gibson broke open a close game and beat Lakeland 28-6 in the kickoff classic (didn't count in the record). I've always noted Lakeland plays those games at 100% to win, as do their opponents. So, when I argue an impressive showing in such a game should be considered in rankings, I have to be consistent and say a poor showing also should be considered. It was a fairly sophomore-dominated team that figured to make a big jump over 15 games from August to December. And Lake Gibson would go to its second straight state title game. But, LG got hammered vs. Armwood the second time. The best a homer like I can do, given the 28-6 loss the first time, is argue that Lakeland would have won a rematch vs. LG. But, that wouldn't be enough to argue Lakeland should have been top 5-10. They would have been dangerous in matching up with many ahead of them, but didn't deserve to be much higher than they were.

Also , looking at the videos that Gator provided of both 2004 and 2008 STA vs Lakeland , I have to say that STA in 2004 was a far cry from the 2008 STA . The same thing can be said for Lakeland in reverse order . Would have been epic to see both play each other having their best teams . I would give STA 2008 the nod as being better , but you never know . 2010 STA was dynamite also . Maybe them vs 2005 Lakeland ?

1 hour ago, CaliNorth said:

Also , looking at the videos that Gator provided of both 2004 and 2008 STA vs Lakeland , I have to say that STA in 2004 was a far cry from the 2008 STA . The same thing can be said for Lakeland in reverse order . Would have been epic to see both play each other having their best teams . I would give STA 2008 the nod as being better , but you never know . 2010 STA was dynamite also . Maybe them vs 2005 Lakeland ?

2008 STA vs. 2005 vs. Lakeland would have been a good game. I do think STA made enhancements to their passing game which would have required better adjustments and scheming than what the 2008 team made. I'd rather them have their current DC (Bill Buldini) to face that team. So, I'd prefer the 2018 team as the team to face the best STA team. 

57 minutes ago, badrouter said:

2008 STA vs. 2005 vs. Lakeland would have been a good game. I do think STA made enhancements to their passing game which would have required better adjustments and scheming than what the 2008 team made. I'd rather them have their current DC (Bill Buldini) to face that team. So, I'd prefer the 2018 team as the team to face the best STA team. 

That's a revelation.  I don't think I've heard from anyone, anywhere, that 2018 was Lakeland's best team . But you should know . I agree that STA'S  passing game was exceptional . Those two rb's they had in 2008 were no joke either . How was 2006 Lakeland ? Were they in the argument as goat Lakeland as well ?

6 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

That's a revelation.  I don't think I've heard from anyone, anywhere, that 2018 was Lakeland's best team . But you should know . I agree that STA'S  passing game was exceptional . Those two rb's they had in 2008 were no joke either . How was 2006 Lakeland ? Were they in the argument as goat Lakeland as well ?

Yeah, I'm the only person on the boards arguing 2018 was Lakeland's best team. I'm confident in the claim. I recognize it's not in Lakeland's best interest to make such a claim. Some of the reasoning is attributed to the trend towards "super" teams, which started a few years after 2005. The primary differences between 2005 and 2018 were that Lakeland started 2005 near or at the top of the USA Today rankings (premier in that time), while 2018's team was unranked and they hadn't been on the national scene much in a decade. The 2018 team actually ended up ranked higher in the calpreps rankings, lol.

• Like 1