VHSL: No football this fall

MA Fan

Is VA the first state to definitively say no football?

The organization says they will decide the fate of the 2020 fall sports season on July 27. Football is not included in any of the three models under consideration.

Model 1: Only golf and cross country in the fall. All other fall sports cancelled.
Model 2: Spring sports (except lacrosse) being shifted to the fall and vice versa
Model 3: All sports played in truncated seasons from Dec. 14-June 26.
Model 3: Winter Sports would be held Dec. 14-Feb. 20 (First play date: 12/28). Fall Sports would be held Feb. 15-May 1 (First play date: 3/1); Spring Sports would be held April 12-June 26 (First play date: 4/26).
There is no word if football will be considered for the winter and spring months.

https://www.wtvr.com/sports/vhsl-high-school-football-will-not-be-played-this-fall

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I think Louisiana pretty much ruled it out as well. Their announcement was less definitive, but, looking at the numbers and what opening phase they are in currently, tough to imagine them reaching phase 4 this year. 

We will be back in Phase 1 soon. 

These LHSAA people are just praying for a miracle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

We are in Phase 1 1/2 currently. 

Pretty much the entire south, from Texas to Florida will be heading back to phase one or worse probably. It seems redundant to have to keep saying this, but, the numbers today reflect something from as far back as 14 days. With exponential growth in numbers, 14 days from today is not looking good. 

People won't even do the simplest thing like wear a mask inside public spaces to help slow it down. xD

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

A lot of bars and restaurants here (city) have had enough of Covid-19 and won't be reopening anyways, maybe next year....some of them tried in Phase 2. A buddy of mine owns a little bar Uptown and he's thinking about selling.

Reality is what it is.

Football? It ain't happening.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

A lot of bars and restaurants here (city) have had enough of Covid-19 and won't be reopening anyways, maybe next year....some of them tried in Phase 2. A buddy of mine owns a little bar Uptown and he's thinking about selling.

Reality is what it is.

Football? It ain't happening.

Sad times. I agree that it is what it is. Some folks accept that this is reality, and others, not so much.

I think there has been some decent news on a vaccine that could become available to the general public around the first of the year if the final phase of testing goes well for it. 

I guess in the meantime, squabbling about wearing masks and lockdowns will probably replace football as a sport for this season. xD

• Like 1

This is not rocket science!

Hear in the OC, UCI is close to running out of beds. Its a similar situation in Long Bch according to one of the nurses who works at LB Memorial whose husband is a client of ours. She actually called him while he was at our office, to let him know she would be working a second shift.

We appear to be on the upswing in cases and if one couples that, with the fact that flu season is only a few months away of which its logical to expect CV19 to follow suit with another... even stronger... run at us... I would expect any reasonably intelligent person would hunker down and do what is logical to protect themselves from getting this thing.

I will miss this season and hanging with our group from the board attending the games but I along with many many more want to be around to enjoy the 2021 season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

but I along with many many more want to be around to enjoy the 2021 season.

This is the correct theme...NOT worring about some little startup academy playing football in Virginia. Those are the same people who don't wear masks and make fun of the situation that they absolutely have NO clue about. Yes, trump fansboys.

DC just moved football to February for their public schools. If that includes Friendship Collegiate, which as a charter school it should, that wipes out a bunch of games for nationally relevant programs in the DMV.

DC will start practice Feb. 1 and go through April 16. 

3 Maryland counties (Washington, Prince George's, Howard) have announced they will be online only until mid-January at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

Dominoes. This football thing is falling just like them. Moving to February right now, but, people are seriously refusing to do what it takes to get the pandemic under control so, it may not be realistic to expect it at that time either. 

At some point, we are infringing on next season's preparations and making it more and more difficult to even have a decently prepared for season next year aside from the season that is being postponed in these areas. 

Idk. What a mess we are in. 

On 7/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

Pretty much the entire south, from Texas to Florida will be heading back to phase one or worse probably. It seems redundant to have to keep saying this, but, the numbers today reflect something from as far back as 14 days. With exponential growth in numbers, 14 days from today is not looking good. 

People won't even do the simplest thing like wear a mask inside public spaces to help slow it down. xD

I really dont get it. Dumbasses cant even wear a mask for a couple of weeks to at LEAST see if that helps. Selfish assholes.

Other than "requiring" a mask, seems like the Texas Gov. has pretty much just decided, "good luck".

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Baltimore-area private schools (MIAA/IAAM) pushed their practice start date back to 9/1. Major games now off the schedule include Archbishop Spalding at Gonzaga, Mount Saint Joseph at Saint Ignatius, Mount Saint Joseph vs. Archbishop Wood and McDonogh at La Salle.

SFA is nominally a MIAA member in footbal (it's how they're still  allowed to play NFHS member schools) and a full member in all other sports so they should have to abide by these guidelines but I suspect they won't, at least as long as the Duncanville game remains a possibility.