National HSFB COVID Policy Roundup

eaglesinsider

2 hours ago, MA Fan said:

PIAA pushes the season back two weeks for now:

https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/08/live-updates-piaa-board-of-directors-meet-friday-with-fate-of-high-school-sports-in-balance.html

Seems clear what's going on is that everyone is hoping for someone else to be the bad guy who cancels the season.

I think everyone is just waiting on data as some states actually get underway. For the most part, generally "kids" that do get the virus, don't have a bad time with it. 

From that perspective, for the governing bodies that are responsible for the kids health and safety, it's "ok" to practice and play. However, there does seem to be a deeper issue with perhaps kid taking it home to a parent or guardian who may not do as well with it.  Apparently, the governing bodies don't care about that risk and leave that to the families involved. Everyone pretty much everywhere is just kicking the can down the road or passing the responsibility off until it's eventually just a personal responsibility issue in spite of the fact that someone's being irresponsible can affect numerous others. 

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/7/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (13)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Full go on normal start date but shortened regular season (2)- IA, OH
Staggered Start Date (1)- TX (1A-4A on time; 5A-6A delayed 4 weeks)
Delayed 1 Week (2)- MI, WV
Delayed 2 Weeks (4)- GA, KY, MS, PA
Delayed 3 Weeks (3)- CT, MA, WI
Delayed 4 Weeks (5)- FL, NC, NH, NJ, NY
Delayed 6 Weeks (3)- AZ, LA, SC
Delayed until spring (13)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MN, NM, NV, OR, VA, WA

Yet to make a decision (5)- ME, MO, MT, RI, VT

Major Non-State Private School Associations:

Full go on normal start date (2)- AISA, MAIS
Delayed 1 Week (1)- SCISA
Delayed 2 Weeks (2)- GISA, NCISAA
Delayed 3 Weeks (1)- TAPPS
Delayed 4 Weeks (1)- MIAA
Fall Championships Cancelled, Competition Decision Deferred to Individual Schools (1)- VISAA
Delayed until Spring (1)- WCAC

Yet to make a decision (1)- SSAC

Friday night update: 
- Pennsylvania has delayed their season by 2 weeks and the PIAA is requesting to meet with the governor and other policy makers during this hiatus
- Ohio is planing to keep start dates the same and play a 6-game regular season with all teams making the playoffs, final approval needed by the governor next week

On 8/6/2020 at 9:44 AM, GardenStateBaller said:

All 10 of the above states voted blue in the last election. Very telling. #politics 

On 8/6/2020 at 6:46 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

We are entering into whatever semblance of a football season we are going to be having this year. It's time to clean up the political bullshit and take it to the OT section where it belongs. 

Nobody outside of a couple of loons on here give a shit how a state voted in the last election as it pertains to looking after kids and subsequently their families' safety. 

Clean it up or I'll do it for us. There's a couple of antagonists causing 90 percent of the issues. I can fix that. 

40 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Awesome stuff, but you should’ve used the color blue for those 13 states delaying until Spring ;) 

Folks... we have now lost GSB until Sept. 4th as well as Nolebull. Both can't seem to understand the OT section stuff has to stay over there. 

I meant it when I said I'll do it for us. 

#whoisnext

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Both of those guys have been on this site since the beginning. They know and understand the rules/guidelines/whatever. It's bad because they have both been known to present some pretty good football acumen when they want. 

I feel like people are taking advantage of my good nature when they post something, then I post something to the effect of "don't do that anymore" and then the post something very similar to what I said don't do practically right behind me. 

• Like 1

New development......

I just don't get it.......just cancel the season already. Phase 3 is never happening anyways, let alone Phase 4.

When the LHSAA announced its plans to push the football season back to October earlier this week, the option of having a scrimmage or a jamboree was listed for Oct. 1-3.

“For the 2020 football season, scrimmages, jamborees, and 7-on-7 practices/tournaments between teams will not take place. These inter-school competitions will be eliminated to decrease contact between opposing players, coaches, school personnel and fans,” the memo said.

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

New development......

I just don't get it.......just cancel the season already. Phase 3 is never happening anyways, let alone Phase 4.

When the LHSAA announced its plans to push the football season back to October earlier this week, the option of having a scrimmage or a jamboree was listed for Oct. 1-3.

“For the 2020 football season, scrimmages, jamborees, and 7-on-7 practices/tournaments between teams will not take place. These inter-school competitions will be eliminated to decrease contact between opposing players, coaches, school personnel and fans,” the memo said.

Also read they might try to play 4 or 5 games with NO fans/bands/etc here this year......yet another option.

There is really only 1 option...end the madness and regroup.

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/10/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (13)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Delayed until spring (13)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MN, NM, NV, OR, VA, WA

Yet to make a decision (5)- ME, MO, MT, RI, VT

Fall Championships Cancelled, Competition Decision Deferred to Individual Schools (1)- VISAA
Delayed until Spring (2)- MIAA, WCAC

Monday night update: 
- Quiet day with only a couple updates: Maryland's MIAA, the Baltimore-area private school league, has called it off for the fall along with the Philly Public League cancelling sports thru Jan. 1
- Ohio's plan for a six-game regular season with all teams making the playoffs has been approved

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/11/20

State Associations:

Delayed until spring (14)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MN, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Yet to make a decision (4)- ME, MO, MT, RI

Tuesday night update: 
- Vermont has cancelled football this fall and replaced it with 7-on-7

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eaglesinsider said:

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/11/20

State Associations:

Delayed until spring (14)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MN, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Yet to make a decision (4)- ME, MO, MT, RI

Tuesday night update: 
- Vermont has cancelled football this fall and replaced it with 7-on-7

Can you update your color-coded map of the USA? Thx. 

8 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Utah supposed to start play tomorrow and Bingham has already had to cancel their opener after a player tested positive. They're now looking at 14 days of quarantine 

Is that the protocol there? Is it their associations protocol or is each school system coming up with their own? 

Basically, now their game tomorrow and their game next week are in jeopardy, and, so is the two teams they were to be playing those dates. Or, maybe they clear quarantine before the 22nd and manage to play Bishop Manogue on virtually no practice. 

I honestly thought Utah would be able to get their season in cleanly with only around 300 covid cases statewide. 

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Is that the protocol there? Is it their associations protocol or is each school system coming up with their own? 

Basically, now their game tomorrow and their game next week are in jeopardy, and, so is the two teams they were to be playing those dates. Or, maybe they clear quarantine before the 22nd and manage to play Bishop Manogue on virtually no practice. 

I honestly thought Utah would be able to get their season in cleanly with only around 300 covid cases statewide. 

Unfortunately it only takes one positive test to wipe out 20% or more of your season. It's a state mandate according to the coach quoted in the MaxPreps article. He was under the impression that if a player tests positive after a game BOTH teams have to enter the 14-day quarantine so that will realistically wipe out 2 games for both teams in the best case scenario (kid tests positive on a Sat/Sun after a game).

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/WXSd84AvRkaltHfQ8M9rZQ/first-utah-high-school-football-game-canceled-after-bingham-players-test-positive-for-covid.htm 

• Thanks 1

National Fall 2020 HS Football Outlook- 8/12/20

State Associations:

Full go on normal start date (15)- AK, AL, AR, ID, IN, KS, MO, MT, ND, NE, OK, SD, TN, UT, WY
Delayed 4 Weeks (5)- FL, ME, NH, NJ, NY
Delayed until spring (15)- CA, CO, DC, DE, HI, IL, MD, MN, NC, NM, NV, OR, VA, VT, WA

Yet to make a decision (1)- RI

Delayed 2 Weeks (2)- GISA
Delayed 4 Weeks (1)- NCISAA

Wednesday night update: 
- North Carolina has moved football to the spring, becoming the 15th state/district to do so
- North Carolina private schools are staying in the fall but have delayed another 2 weeks after an initial 2 week delay
- Connecticut declined to move to the spring today
- Kansas is starting on time but Kansas City schools will not compete in fall sports
- Maine has delayed the start of the regular season by a month and will cut the regular season from 8 to 6 games. All teams will make the playoffs
- Missouri has begun practice and will play their season as scheduled
- Montana will play fall sports as scheduled

9 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Utah supposed to start play tomorrow and Bingham has already had to cancel their opener after a player tested positive. They're now looking at 14 days of quarantine 

I suspect this will pretty much be the norm for people trying to play a full season this year.....

15 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

- Connecticut declined to move to the spring today

CT Department of Public Health has now written the CIAC with their own recommendations:

Postpone to the spring season or cancel sports identified as “higher risk” by the NFHS, SMAC. In Connecticut, this includes football. Full-contact football is unique among the fall interscholastic sports in our state in its level of risk to student-athletes for the person-to-person spread of infectious respiratory droplets. As you are aware, most of the collegiate conferences and many state high school interscholastic sport organizations have already postponed or canceled football for the upcoming season.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/ct-dept-of-public-health-urges-very-cautious-approach-in-response-to-ciac-fall-sports-plan/