Georgia state title games should be moved to Georgia Southern.

HooverOutlaw

32 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Traveling 6 times to Atlanta to play 5 games. Then not having a title game at a neutral site. Clueless GHSA not having a back up plan.

Ohhhhhh boy. 

1. It was Colquitt's fault as to why they had to travel. 

2. All teams who had their championship games postponed had to go through the same thing......not just colquitt. Colquitt only had to travel farther. 

3. The back up plan was TO PLAY THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES AT THE SCHOOLS!!!!! If a team had a higher seeding, the game was gonna played at that respective school. If the teams had the same seeding, it was determined via coin flip. 

Really don't see how colquitt was screwed in all of this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Traveling 6 times to Atlanta to play 5 games. Then not having a title game at a neutral site. Clueless GHSA not having a back up plan.

Lowndes played five straight road games to the SC playing nationally ranked teams for the 99’ SC. One of the greatest runs I’ve seen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Ohhhhhh boy. 

2. All teams who had their championship games postponed had to go through the same thing......not just colquitt. Colquitt only had to travel farther. 

3. The back up plan was TO PLAY THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES AT THE SCHOOLS!!!!! If a team had a higher seeding, the game was gonna played at that respective school. If the teams had the same seeding, it was determined via coin flip. 

That should be the standard. This whole bunch of bullshit about playing at the Benz and the experience had left the stage. Just another ploy to keep it in the ATL. Who wants to play at shitty as Turner Field. Someone’s pockets getting filled.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Ohhhhhh boy. 

The GHSA should have had a back up plan to play at a neutral site. Plus the weather was not bad. Alabama played the day before in the same snowstorm. People posted pictures of roads they were clear, people were already at the Benz claiming  no problem with roads, the hawks played on the same day, and some national cheerleading competition was held that same day  in Atlanta with no problems. Only the GHSA cancelled nobody else.  This was a move given to Atlanta teams for even more of advantage than they already had.  It's funny Alabama played outdoors no problems but being able to play indoors away from the weather the GHSA still cancels. If they were going to cancel games there should have been a minimum of a 24 hour notice. Not do it an hour before kickoff. 

8 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Ohhhhhh boy. 

How can Colquitt be at fault for traveling 2 times for 1 game.  At some point going to Atlanta over and over can wear the team out.  

Listen the GSHA sucks. They even had the basketball goals set up wrong at the title games one year.  It made all shots 3 ft longer. They knew and let it go. They are a terrible group worst in the country and are the laughing stock of the NFHS. 

15 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Did Hoover really pull Statesboro out of his ass?

LOL.

bgw

...again. 😒

In his defense.  He has mentioned that venue several times in the past.

(He probably brought up Bama playing the day prior...and the cheerleader competition.)

Same post, different day basically.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

The GHSA should have had a back up plan to play at a neutral site. Plus the weather was not bad. Alabama played the day before in the same snowstorm. People posted pictures of roads they were clear, people were already at the Benz claiming  no problem with roads, the hawks played on the same day, and some national cheerleading competition was held that same day  in Atlanta with no problems. Only the GHSA cancelled nobody else.  This was a move given to Atlanta teams for even more of advantage than they already had.  It's funny Alabama played outdoors no problems but being able to play indoors away from the weather the GHSA still cancels. If they were going to cancel games there should have been a minimum of a 24 hour notice. Not do it an hour before kickoff. 

See.

• Haha 1

The drive to Georgia Southern wouldn't be much better if any for the southern schools, but, it would at least create a situation where the Atlanta schools had to travel as well. Creating a true neutral site. 

I'm still on the play at the home stadium of the higher seed train personally though. No reason for everyone to travel to a neutral site if it isn't some amazing venue like the Benz or the Dome was. Just makes it a much tougher sell imo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The drive to Georgia Southern wouldn't be much better if any for the southern schools, but, it would at least create a situation where the Atlanta schools had to travel as well. Creating a true neutral site. 

I'm still on the play at the home stadium of the higher seed train personally though. No reason for everyone to travel to a neutral site if it isn't some amazing venue like the Benz or the Dome was. Just makes it a much tougher sell imo. 

I'm with you on this one. To me, environment is one of the biggest factors to play into a championship-level football game. Unless the game is played at a "wow" stadium, it should be held at the higher-seeded school's stadium. This creates a more vibrant atmosphere and actually forces the away team to bring several fans to counteract that effect. Getting that environment is like the cherry on top of a great championship game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Well.... of course!

Hahaha.

bgw

3 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Were you there that weekend when all this went down? Just curious. 

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Some of these guys have never driven from Valdosta to Statesboro.  It's actually a better drive to Atlanta.  The only neutral site I can think of is Cantrell...cause McEachern ain't ever gonna need it after Christmas...(Smile).

You got that OMacG?

Rufus>>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Doubt it. I don't think they cancelled our game on the day of, I think it was the day before. So Colquitt wasn't already at the stadium. 

Colquitt's Varsity coaching staff and their starters were in Atlanta when the Benz announced their facility would not be available.  You might wanna think about retracting....

Rufus>>

Just now, Rufus69 said:

Colquitt's Varsity coaching staff and their starters were in Atlanta when the Benz announced their facility would not be available.  You might wanna think about retracting....

Rufus>>

I was told otherwise a few years ago. Guess I was told wrong. But the right thing to do was postpone the game. Even one person getting in an accident going to the game should be avoidable. I wouldn't have complained if the game was at Colquitt because of that (we probably would have lost though).

4 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

How can Colquitt be at fault for traveling 2 times for 1 game.  At some point going to Atlanta over and over can wear the team out.  

Listen the GSHA sucks. They even had the basketball goals set up wrong at the title games one year.  It made all shots 3 ft longer. They knew and let it go. They are a terrible group worst in the country and are the laughing stock of the NFHS. 

You mentioned how colquitt had to travel to atlanta 6 times for 5 games. Also, you mentioned how there was no neutral site for the games.

1. It was colquitt's fault for having to travel so much BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. That's how seeding works. I thought you'd know this.

2. The neutral site was the Benz. Shit happens. You make other arrangements. Don't think that just because the game was at North Gwinnett that the GHSA was favoring North Gwinnett. It all goes back to seeding. 

3. Colquitt had to travel to atlanta twice for the state championship game due to the weather. I could go on and on for days about that weekend, but that's for another day. Like I said: shit happens. overcome and adapt. If anything, it gave colquitt another week to prepare.

Last but not least: We all know the ghsa sucks and blah, blah, blah. But damn! Why does this affect YOU so much? Even the colquitt guys seem to handle it better than you do. But... how was colquitt screwed in this again? Especially with all the facts presented to you. 

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

You mentioned how colquitt had to travel to atlanta 6 times for 5 games. Also, you mentioned how there was no neutral site for the games.

1. It was colquitt's fault for having to travel so much BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. That's how seeding works. I thought you'd know this.

2. The neutral site was the Benz. Shit happens. You make other arrangements. Don't think that just because the game was at North Gwinnett that the GHSA was favoring North Gwinnett. It all goes back to seeding. 

3. Colquitt had to travel to atlanta twice for the state championship game due to the weather. I could go on and on for days about that weekend, but that's for another day. Like I said: shit happens. overcome and adapt. If anything, it gave colquitt another week to prepare.

Last but not least: We all know the ghsa sucks and blah, blah, blah. But damn! Why does this affect YOU so much? Even the colquitt guys seem to handle it better than you do. But... how was colquitt screwed in this again? Especially with all the facts presented to you. 

Speaking of an extra week, it should have helped them get more used to the environment they were about to face. Armwood did that before coming up to play us this year. To prepare for the noise level, they had their band blast music right behind them all week during practice. And it showed during the game. They were prepared and didn't get fazed through most of the game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not as many as would have if the game would have been where it was originally slated. A lot of people were pissed and said screw it, we aren't going. Others were simply old and didn't want to endure the long drive and then hours in the cold. 

And that's about the only down side.  When home field is used for a championship game, many of your older fans will opt out due to distance,  Old men and women will bundle up for their grandchildren in band, cheer, or the game but they won't always drive five hours, lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

And that's about the only down side.  When home field is used for a championship game, many of your older fans will opt out due to distance,  Old men and women will bundle up for their grandchildren in band, cheer, or the game but they won't always drive five hours, lol. 

At least Colquitt travels better than us. The only game I was genuinely happy with our traveling crowd was against McEachern. We may have had more fans than McEachern did, and they were the home team.

12 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Ohhhhhh boy. 

You want the truth, lol.  

Crazy as this will sound, I think I heard this from my buddy Ole Rabid One back in the day.  

There was a sequence of events that seemed to be guided by "Higher Powers" aka Diamond Dave and It went something like this:  Starting  right at the very start of the game, as the refs were calling for the team captains;

Ole' Rush forgot to tell his game captains his face was on both sides of that coin.  

Ole Rush sees a  gal that is something sweeter-than-honey walking along the sidelines.

Ole Rush just starts yellin' hootin' and hollerin' "TAIL TAIL TAIL" 

Ole Rush game captains think he's calling the coin toss. 

Ole Rush game captains choose Tails over heads and the rest of the night is history my friends.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, sausmann9 said:

You want the truth, lol.  

Crazy as this will sound, I think I heard this from my buddy Ole Rabid One back in the day.  

There was a sequence of events that seemed to be guided by "Higher Powers" aka Diamond Dave and It went something like this:  Starting  right at the very start of the game, as the refs were calling for the team captains;

Ole' Rush forgot to tell his game captains his face was on both sides of that coin.  

Ole Rush sees a  gal that is something sweeter-than-honey walking along the sidelines.

Ole Rush just starts yellin' hootin' and hollerin' "TAIL TAIL TAIL" 

Ole Rush game captains think he's calling the coin toss. 

Ole Rush game captains choose Tails over heads and the rest of the night is history my friends.

Sounds like a Rush thing to do if it was real.

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Good point. Alabama rotates the title between 3 locations start this year. Auburn, Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

There had been talk of using Mobile but because of some shootings in the past they voted that down.

• Like 1