Roughly 20 Alabama forfeit teams opening games due to covid

HooverOutlaw

I don't think it's fair to hold it against a team if they're community is dealing or struggling Covid and this interferes.... 

If you can play and you want to... (though I advise against it) that's a different story... 

But its not like these teams are cancelling simply because they don't want to play... 

They're doing it for the benefit of everyone... 

I mean do you want Hoover lining up against Corona positive athletes? 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm not sure if there is another way to deal with this situation to be honest. It seems unfair, but, also seems like it would drive kids and teams to try very hard to stay safe as it pertains to social behaviors and stuff that exposes them to the virus so they can have a full season. 

I also wouldn't mind if they didn't allow fans to attend games (keep cheerleaders and band though). That way, it would be more of a "true-talent" matchup instead of a game where one team has an "environment advantage".

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I don't think it's fair to hold it against a team if they're community is dealing or struggling Covid and this interferes.... 

If you can play and you want to... (though I advise against it) that's a different story... 

But its not like these teams are cancelling simply because they don't want to play... 

They're doing it for the benefit of everyone... 

I mean do you want Hoover lining up against Corona positive athletes? 

I don't want Hoover playing positive covid teams.  Get real.

They are enforcing the forfeit rule to prevent a school that knows they are going to be drilled in a game by 50 so that they will not fake sick kids just to avoid a loss.  

59 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm not sure if there is another way to deal with this situation to be honest. It seems unfair, but, also seems like it would drive kids and teams to try very hard to stay safe as it pertains to social behaviors and stuff that exposes them to the virus so they can have a full season. 

At a volleyball tournament this weekend they enforced the mask rule to a tee. If you were inside without a mask at any point you were told to leave. They told people as they came in the rule. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

I also wouldn't mind if they didn't allow fans to attend games (keep cheerleaders and band though). That way, it would be more of a "true-talent" matchup instead of a game where one team has an "environment advantage".

Building a program up after years of hard work deserves a great home crowd.  Being from Gwinnett County you already have a built in advantage when playing out of county teams so I can understand a good crowd not being important. 

• Haha 2

Just now, HooverOutlaw said:

Building a program up after years of hard work deserves a great home crowd.  Being from Gwinnett County you already have a built in advantage when playing out of county teams so I can understand a good crowd not being important. 

How so? Also, I'm willing to sacrifice crowds if it means we have a full season.

28 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Both are false. Proof?

Canceling the state games in 17 and not having a back up plan which gave your team a home state title game. Title games should always be in neutral site.

Having the state games in Atlanta instead of rotating them where the south has a short drive. When you sleep in your own bed it is an advantage for state title games. Alabama rotates title games in 3 locations. 

You can ask anybody south of Atlanta about about getting  equal treatment from refs and they will tell you it is impossible. 

I have been to several Corky kells and state title games in Atlanta the talk was always about how non Atlanta teams get screwed by refs. Do I have a recording of a ref saying we screw south Georgia teams no but it is an understood fact in Georgia. 

6 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Canceling the state games in 17 and not having a back up plan which gave your team a home state title game. Title games should always be in neutral site.

Having the state games in Atlanta instead of rotating them where the south has a short drive. When you sleep in your own bed it is an advantage for state title games. Alabama rotates title games in 3 locations. 

You can ask anybody south of Atlanta about about getting  equal treatment from refs and they will tell you it is impossible. 

I have been to several Corky kells and state title games in Atlanta the talk was always about how non Atlanta teams get screwed by refs. Do I have a recording of a ref saying we screw south Georgia teams no but it is an understood fact in Georgia. 

Had Lowndes won out and reached the championship game like they were supposed to, the game would have been in the south. North Gwinnett had the better record and by rule, we would get to host. GHSA does things differently than the AHSAA or whatever but it doesn't make them much worse. 

There may be some refereeing bias, but the absence of replay review could be a huge factor. There have several questionable plays against Metro teams as well, especially state championship games. It's not as if the Alabama refs are better either. I saw three blown calls in the last two days, between the Hoover and Thompson games.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

What stadium in South Georgia big enough to hold state though? 

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

What stadium in South Georgia big enough to hold state 

If the GHSA was worried about having stadiums big enough to hold these crowds they would have had a back plan in 2017 instead going to school sites. 

But I suggested Stateboro it holds 25,000 and has private boxes. Some liked it some did not. 

5 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

There's a few down there. Some colleges along with Martin Stadium and Bazemore-Hyder Stadium for Lowndes and Valdosta respectively.

Yeah but wouldn't that essentially mean that @HooverOutlaw idea that it shouldn't be held at the school of another team essentially had it blow up in his face? 

At the end of the day I see no issue with it being held in Atlanta because the former Georgia dome (now whatever corporation has its name on the new stadium, I honestly don't care on that) is the best stadium in the entire state so it is best place to host 

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Yeah but wouldn't that essentially mean that @HooverOutlaw idea that it shouldn't be held at the school of another team essentially had it blow up in his face? 

At the end of the day I see no issue with it being held in Atlanta because the former Georgia dome (now whatever corporation has its name on the new stadium, I honestly don't care on that) is the best stadium in the entire state so it is beat place to host 

Yeah it makes sense. Play it at Mercedes-Benz. And I don't mind playing it at a home location in unusual circumstances because environment makes a game what it is. The North Gwinnett press box was shaking violently during the final minutes of the 2017 state championship game. Even Colquitt had to burn a timeout on their final drive.

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

At the end of the day I see no issue with it being held in Atlanta because the former Georgia dome (now whatever corporation has its name on the new stadium, I honestly don't care on that) is the best stadium in the entire state so it is best place to host 

The GHSA blew that deal Falcons owner told them no because he knew idiots ran the GHSA.   They don't play at the Benz anymore.