Jump to content

Who wins: Mater Dei or Presbyterian College?


Recommended Posts

Mater Dei was one of the best high school teams in the country, while Central Michigan was one of the worst college teams.

What would be an appropriate matchup for Mater Dei at the college level? Or any other team for hypothetical purposes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

Mater Dei was one of the best high school teams in the country, while Central Michigan was one of the worst college teams.

What would be an appropriate matchup for Mater Dei at the college level? Or any other team for hypothetical purposes.

Man normally you got good stuff but this is silly man 

 

No way does any high school team beat a D1 college 

 

 

Maybe mater dei could beat a few D3 colleges but no D1 school losing to any high school team

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

Man normally you got good stuff but this is silly man 

 

No way does any high school team beat a D1 college 

 

 

Maybe mater dei could beat a few D3 colleges but no D1 school losing to any high school team

Originally I was going to go with Presbyterian College but I decided to up it a little because a lot of people on here think very highly of Mater Dei (ahem @HurricaneNick).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ngdawg changed the title to Who wins: Mater Dei or Presbyterian College?
1 minute ago, ngdawg said:

Originally I was going to go with Presbyterian College but I decided to up it a little because a lot of people on here think very highly of Mater Dei (ahem @HurricaneNick).

People may think highly of them (I do as well) however they aren't using reality when judging a high school vs a college team as they generally only look at one data point (blue chip numbers) when saying it can be done 

 

Just like they say Alabama could defeat the cellar NFL teams 

 

Both are ridiculous and unrealistic though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

People may think highly of them (I do as well) however they aren't using reality when judging a high school vs a college team as they generally only look at one data point (blue chip numbers) when saying it can be done 

 

Just like they say Alabama could defeat the cellar NFL teams 

 

Both are ridiculous and unrealistic though 

Talent-wise, Mater Dei may have more talent than Presbyterian College. Not a lot of great players want to continue their career at Presbyterian, so they may lack the talent.

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ngdawg said:

Talent-wise, Mater Dei may have more talent than Presbyterian College. Not a lot of great players want to continue their career at Presbyterian, so they may lack the talent.

Perhaps 

 

What division does Presbyterian play?

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I reply every time one of these threads pop up, Fork Union's post grad team, which is all 19-year olds, routinely gets beat by D3/D2/FCS JV teams. FUMA has put more players into the NFL than any other program in the nation. If they can't beat a college JV even half of the time with a whole team of scholarship players who are all a year older than HS seniors, HS teams have no chance against 99% of varsity college football teams. I will qualify that by saying that there are maybe 20 or so truly terrible D3 teams and a few nonscholarship JUCOs where the game would be interesting, especially teams with a poor run game.

People really don't grasp the physical changes that happen between 17 and 22. That goes double or triple for anyone in a college weight program. Even the best HS can't put 5 dominant OL on the field 99% of the time. Imagine a 16 yr old OT going up against a 22 yr old 5th year senior DT. That's not football, that's child abuse.

  • Thanks 5
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

As I reply every time one of these threads pop up, Fork Union's post grad team, which is all 19-year olds, routinely gets beat by D3/D2/FCS JV teams. FUMA has put more players into the NFL than any other program in the nation. If they can't beat a college JV even half of the time with a whole team of scholarship players who are all a year older than HS seniors, HS teams have no chance against 99% of varsity college football teams. I will qualify that by saying that there are maybe 20 or so truly terrible D3 teams and a few nonscholarship JUCOs where the game would be interesting, especially teams with a poor run game.

People really don't grasp the physical changes that happen between 17 and 22. That goes double or triple for anyone in a college weight program. Even the best HS can't put 5 dominant OL on the field 99% of the time. Imagine a 16 yr old OT going up against a 22 yr old 5th year senior DT. That's not football, that's child abuse.

Duly noted. It seems all too easy that Mater Dei could easily handle a low-level college team, but I guess it's too unrealistic. I guess it's the same deal with comparing if Alabama could beat the Dolphins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

People may think highly of them (I do as well) however they aren't using reality when judging a high school vs a college team as they generally only look at one data point (blue chip numbers) when saying it can be done 

 

Just like they say Alabama could defeat the cellar NFL teams 

 

Both are ridiculous and unrealistic though 

GSB told me USA academy in 2 years would beat most SEC schools. LOL

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

Mater Dei was one of the best high school teams in the country, while Central Michigan was one of the worst college teams.

What would be an appropriate matchup for Mater Dei at the college level? Or any other team for hypothetical purposes.

Hahaha I got the Monarchs by 10! Kidding, no way we can play with any D1 team. The physicality and speed difference between college and high school is drastic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ngdawg said:

Duly noted. It seems all too easy that Mater Dei could easily handle a low-level college team, but I guess it's too unrealistic. I guess it's the same deal with comparing if Alabama could beat the Dolphins.

I coached small college football for a few years before moving on to do other things. If you ever get the chance, go watch a HS game from field level from warmups through the final whistle on Friday night and then go watch an NAIA/D3 game the exact same way the next day. That used to be my normal in season routine: scout a HS game on Friday night, coach on Saturday. You'll be shocked at the difference. TV tends to make everything seem slower than it really is but watching a game from field level will give you a true sense for the difference. Everything moves so much faster in college football and the players just look different. I've been on the field for some truly great HSFB games featuring highly ranked teams and I've seen my fair share of bad small college football. Line play, physical maturity and pace of play are the three massive differences. Also keep in mind that college teams are keeping that pace up for 60 minutes, the equivalent of 5 HS quarters

Only 6% of players move from HS to play CFB at any level. Even the bottom of that 6% is stacked with kids who were the best players at their HS or have multiple all-county or all-state accolades.

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

As I reply every time one of these threads pop up, Fork Union's post grad team, which is all 19-year olds, routinely gets beat by D3/D2/FCS JV teams. FUMA has put more players into the NFL than any other program in the nation. If they can't beat a college JV even half of the time with a whole team of scholarship players who are all a year older than HS seniors, HS teams have no chance against 99% of varsity college football teams. I will qualify that by saying that there are maybe 20 or so truly terrible D3 teams and a few nonscholarship JUCOs where the game would be interesting, especially teams with a poor run game.

People really don't grasp the physical changes that happen between 17 and 22. That goes double or triple for anyone in a college weight program. Even the best HS can't put 5 dominant OL on the field 99% of the time. Imagine a 16 yr old OT going up against a 22 yr old 5th year senior DT. That's not football, that's child abuse.

Thread /

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Big mike came in too hot he was hyped 🤣

Poor IMG DB’s had no answer for Bru McCoy 

I still wonder how you can win a national championship but can't survive a celebration. Guess the celebration is forgotten because of the national championship status. Let this be proof that Mater Dei is still human!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

I coached small college football for a few years before moving on to do other things. If you ever get the chance, go watch a HS game from field level from warmups through the final whistle on Friday night and then go watch an NAIA/D3 game the exact same way the next day. That used to be my normal in season routine: scout a HS game on Friday night, coach on Saturday. You'll be shocked at the difference. TV tends to make everything seem slower than it really is but watching a game from field level will give you a true sense for the difference. Everything moves so much faster in college football and the players just look different. I've been on the field for some truly great HSFB games featuring highly ranked teams and I've seen my fair share of bad small college football. Line play, physical maturity and pace of play are the three massive differences. Also keep in mind that college teams are keeping that pace up for 60 minutes, the equivalent of 5 HS quarters

Only 6% of players move from HS to play CFB at any level. Even the bottom of that 6% is stacked with kids who were the best players at their HS or have multiple all-county or all-state accolades.

Ok, I can believe this. Thanks for the explanation!

The reason I posed the question is because I thought Mater Dei's talent outweighed that of Presbyterian. I failed to think about the other possible aspects that would make this an easy decision in favor of Presbyterian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ngdawg said:

The reason I posed the question is because I thought Mater Dei's talent outweighed that of Presbyterian.

Put it this way....Mater Dei might have 20 D1 kids.  Presbyterian's entire roster are D1 kids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rippers said:

Put it this way....Mater Dei might have 20 D1 kids.  Presbyterian's entire roster are D1 kids.

True, but stars-wise, maybe Mater Dei has more? I don't know a lot of highly ranked players who would go to Presbyterian over, say, Wake Forest or UNC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ngdawg said:

Mater Dei was one of the best high school teams in the country, while Central Michigan was one of the worst college teams.

What would be an appropriate matchup for Mater Dei at the college level? Or any other team for hypothetical purposes.

MD would smoke any shitty college team in the lower levels.  Obviously not D1. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...