Since South Florida is not participating in the playoffs this year...

36 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I can't imagine any legitimate power in the state trying to claim a state title in a year without south Florida competing. They are certainly a pain in the ass of the rest of the state. But, to be the best you have to beat the best. It's best for everyone if south Florida gets to compete.

I agree 

I said before that winning a Championship this year means nothing but the FL board didn't like it, but it's the reality, a Championship only as important as who you beat to get it and if a team is beating Gainesville or St Augustine to claim a state title it's practically worthless

• Like 3
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree    I said before that winning a Championship this year means nothing but the FL board didn't like it, but it's the reality, a Championship only as important as who you beat to get it

SJR vs STA.    we want that smoke   neither of us has a championship game, why not

Heard STA will never schedule them 

Posted Images

On 9/19/2020 at 9:49 AM, Atticus Finch said:

They're trying to put one together now.

I think the county is going to start playing games on 10/13.

So 5 or 6 game regular season schedule should give their schools the chance to opt-in to the state playoffs.

All I know right now is that they're playing Cardinal Gibbons and American Heritage.

NIIIIICE!

4 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Public schools in Broward and Palm Beach will not play for state titles this fall

As I alluded to earlier it looks like STA, Cardinal Gibbons and Chaminade have opted in.

But not having the publics will still give this season a giant asterisk.

Will be an odd looking playoff bracket without any publics from Broward or Palm Beach counties!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Most Miami-Dade schools opt out of the FHSAA state series while two reigning champions stay in

Interesting that Dade allowed individual schools to decide and not the county/GMAC as a whole.

Strange.

But Central and Northwestern are in at least.

Have you heard if Columbus is in (article says they're in for bowling and golf but made no mention of football) - my assumption was since they're a private school they'd be in but I haven't heard of them having a schedule.

1 hour ago, DownSouth said:

Have you heard if Columbus is in (article says they're in for bowling and golf but made no mention of football) - my assumption was since they're a private school they'd be in but I haven't heard of them having a schedule.

Columbus opted out 

The 5 Dade teams who opted in were Central, Northwestern, homestead, Edison and Palmetto

Rest will not participate

Broward the only ones I've heard so far were STA and Cardinal Gibbons who opted in (I think Chaminade Madonna opted in as well but I'm not 100% sure on them)

But the publics in Broward and Palm Beach are all out

I'm not really sure they should be awarding state titles this year. There are very good arguments for giving the kids a chance to play, but those don't really work for naming state champions. They could have a state series and award some sort of title to some teams, but not a full, typical state title.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I think you need a minimum of 6 regular season games to qualify for the playoffs.

And that's going to be a matter of luck.  Lakeland was forced to cancel two games right off the bat, so they're down to 7 games. One more such occurance would take them to five. South Florida starting later leaves them less margin for error. Seeing that x number of positive cases necessarily means teams MUST cancel games-as opposed to sitting the players who are sick and being allowed to play if there are enough remaining available- says to me that we aren't going to be able to have any sort of legitimate playoff or champion. We could see scenarios where a major playoff showdown is set, and on Wednesday a few kids who were called up to varsity from JV test positive, aren't even sick, but the positive tests means the entire team has to shut down for two weeks. We can't function in such an environment. And the fact that there may be a few teams that somehow manage to escape cancellations (dishonesty, forgery and the like are now CLEARLY encouraged) left standing at the end to play a game doesn't mean either should actually be named state champion. This is exactly the kind of scenario where someone like Venice is going to find a way to keep from being cancelled and is going to "Win" 7A.

35 minutes ago, RedZone said:

How many games will these schools actually play that opt in?

It's a little confusing as to what's going on in South Florida..

I think everybody is going to "play" a season but only the Broward privates, some Dade privates and five Dade publics are going to opt-in to the state series.

STA and Cardinal Gibbons are going to start on 10/9 so that gives them 6 weeks between then and the start of the state series.

STA has three games scheduled now but it's having a hard time finding three more. Will probably schedule outside of South Florida for at least some of those games. Anybody at this point would suffice.

5 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I think everybody is going to "play" a season but only the Broward privates, some Dade privates and five Dade publics are going to opt-in to the state series.

STA and Cardinal Gibbons are going to start on 10/9 so that gives them 6 weeks between then and the start of the state series.

STA has three games scheduled now but it's having a hard time finding three more. Will probably schedule outside of South Florida for at least some of those games. Anybody at this point would suffice.

If the FHSAA enforces the six game minimum, that will make it VERY difficult for those schools to get all six weeks played. Unless they've decided in advance to keep the Covid test results entirely private and just never cancel any games.

Do you have any sense as to what the exact thresholds and protocols are for shutting teams down? Does one case trigger a shut down? Or, say, 8% positivity rate team wide? > 5 cases? And, is this consistent across counties and between public and private schools? Venice looks to me like they're going to get every single game in, and Covid test results don't seem to be a relevant variable for them. It seems like there may be a wide variance between how this is all managed from place to place.

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, badrouter said:

And that's going to be a matter of luck.  Lakeland was forced to cancel two games right off the bat, so they're down to 7 games. One more such occurance would take them to five. South Florida starting later leaves them less margin for error. Seeing that x number of positive cases necessarily means teams MUST cancel games-as opposed to sitting the players who are sick and being allowed to play if there are enough remaining available- says to me that we aren't going to be able to have any sort of legitimate playoff or champion. We could see scenarios where a major playoff showdown is set, and on Wednesday a few kids who were called up to varsity from JV test positive, aren't even sick, but the positive tests means the entire team has to shut down for two weeks. We can't function in such an environment. And the fact that there may be a few teams that somehow manage to escape cancellations (dishonesty, forgery and the like are now CLEARLY encouraged) left standing at the end to play a game doesn't mean either should actually be named state champion. This is exactly the kind of scenario where someone like Venice is going to find a way to keep from being cancelled and is going to "Win" 7A.

Yes. We should have a post season, but not playoffs for a state title. For in this environment they are meaningless. The sad thing is: This did not have to happen this way. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

I think you need a minimum of 6 regular season games to qualify for the playoffs.

They waived that for this year 

Everyone who opts in is automatically in and if they have too many teams then they will have a play in game for the postseason

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

They waived that for this year 

Everyone who opts in is automatically in and if they have too many teams then they will have a play in game for the postseason

Good lord, this is going to be very messy. I would not want to be a coach or administrator handling this. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Good lord, this is going to be very messy. I would not want to be a coach or administrator handling this. 

I'm curious to see how they will manage it 

Honestly would be easier to forgo state championships then you can just have a postseason and let teams operate out of their regions, if teams choose to play out of their region in a bowl game afterwards they can and if the regions are large you can split it into small and large schools 

• Like 1
Just now, Atticus Finch said:

Yeah, the playoffs will be a blind draw for each region.

Another reason for a giant *for this season.

They only doing blind draw because nobody is gonna trust any point system to decide the seeds and with no districts they can't use that to break things down for the brackets 

I've said from the start playing a season should have been end goal but state championships aren't a priority this year and should have been left alone but obviously the FHSAA is determined to appease the red counties who still think the virus is a hoax and appease the governor who hasn't taken it seriously from the start 

32 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

They only doing blind draw because nobody is gonna trust any point system to decide the seeds and with no districts they can't use that to break things down for the brackets 

I've said from the start playing a season should have been end goal but state championships aren't a priority this year and should have been left alone but obviously the FHSAA is determined to appease the red counties who still think the virus is a hoax and appease the governor who hasn't taken it seriously from the start 

The Governor is intelligent and knows better. But he is in someone's back pocket. 

8 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

They have three games scheduled already and will (hopefully) pick up another two.

At this point, don't you think they'd be better playing an independent schedule with some of the other super teams and maybe a couple locals sprinkled in?  They could then shoot for a National bowl game against an IMG, SFA, etc. Seems like that would be better for the program than going for some empty State title in a year like this.