De La Salle vs St. John Bosco 2021

jserralions

Who ya got? SJB loses so much unfortunately. They lost all of their DBs, half of their LBs, once in a generation QB, all their WRs. They get transfers so it's not that big of a deal, but that sophomore QB from what I've read will be a HUGE dropoff to the QBs SJB has had in years (Josh Rosen NFL, DJ Clemson)

As a socal guy, I really think it could be up for grabs.

You ever notice how Liberty from NV kept attacking BG every year relentlessly and finally they slipped up and won? Like how Venice from FL caught STA that one year? I think this could be the year for the mighty spartans!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jserralions said:

Who ya got? SJB loses so much unfortunately. They lost all of their DBs, half of their LBs, once in a generation QB, all their WRs. They get transfers so it's not that big of a deal, but that sophomore QB from what I've read will be a HUGE dropoff to the QBs SJB has had in years (Josh Rosen NFL, DJ Clemson)

As a socal guy, I really think it could be up for grabs.

You ever notice how Liberty from NV kept attacking BG every year relentlessly and finally they slipped up and won? Like how Venice from FL caught STA that one year? I think this could be the year for the mighty spartans!

As a DLS fan I would normally be really optimistic about this game and I do think they can definitely win.... The thing that makes me nervous is how The DLS QB played against STA in the first game last year.... He missed a bunch of open guys that would have totally changed that game....

He did get much better as the year went on and STA had a Monster D-Line so that had something to do with it, but timing is everything with the Veer and who’s know how much practice time Any of these teams will have....

I will take DLS in an upset though Because I do think there will be a big drop off for SJB this year.... I also have SJB losing to Servite this year....

We could actually see a 3 loss SJB team going into the playoffs this year if DLS and Servite beat them.... This is definitely a year where Servite, Cen10 and MV can make a run at the SSD1 title, although I do think MD will be the top team in So Cal....

• Like 2

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think the bigger question remains as to whether this game will actually happen.  LA county, OC, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties have all stabilized Covid cases to some extent, but even though the curve is flat right now, it’s still a relatively high number.  

There is little to suggest that the numbers are about to drop significantly, and when schools do start traditional attendance, there will be an uptick.  Round 2 might not see numbers get as high as at the peak, but, as we’ve seen, it won’t take much to cause cancellations.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, On2whls said:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I think the bigger question remains as to whether this game will actually happen.  LA county, OC, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties have all stabilized Covid cases to some extent, but even though the curve is flat right now, it’s still a relatively high number.  

There is little to suggest that the numbers are about to drop significantly, and when schools do start traditional attendance, there will be an uptick.  Round 2 might not see numbers get as high as at the peak, but, as we’ve seen, it won’t take much to cause cancellations.

Was thinking the same thing. Still curious how it all plays out. I think it’s dominoes. NFL down to college to the HS ranks. If the NFL teams start dropping, how the hell can HS teams kept from dropping. So far so good it seems, but cautiously optimistic and still a ways out go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Have a strong feeling after the elections the Covid cases will cease off.

• Like 1

As you guys know, SJB is not exactly a program like IMG or SFA, but they're not exactly the "team" guys like DLS is made of. From what I've heard, SJB and MD has been bleeding talented seniors who have decided to forgo their senior seasons to play at college. That is the point of their programs, produce top level athletes. 

You combine that with the fact SJB was already losing their loaded senior class, I knew if SJB played DLS that this is their year. They obviously reload, but man it's going to happen. When Venice caught STA? When Liberty caught BG? This is the year

2 minutes ago, jserralions said:

As you guys know, SJB is not exactly a program like IMG or SFA, but they're not exactly the "team" guys like DLS is made of. From what I've heard, SJB and MD has been bleeding talented seniors who have decided to forgo their senior seasons to play at college. That is the point of their programs, produce top level athletes. 

You combine that with the fact SJB was already losing their loaded senior class, I knew if SJB played DLS that this is their year. They obviously reload, but man it's going to happen. When Venice caught STA? When Liberty caught BG? This is the year

So far Covid is undefeated.  But, if the game does happen, I agree.  DLS likely wins.   

3 minutes ago, On2whls said:

So far Covid is undefeated.  But, if the game does happen, I agree.  DLS likely wins.   

I can see both games going either teams way but somethings off here to me. The fact Justin Alambaugh planned on brawling with one of the best teams from Texas North Shore at their own turf with this current DLS team tells me he's got a really stacked deck of cards. The dudes probably giddying with this team. He's got a good team this year.

SJB right now is a team full of very talented but inexperienced sophomores/juniors. 

I will be flying out for this one for sure....if it happens. We can only pray that it does.

SJB clearly loses a lot, but you know they'll be tough. Even losing a lot, they still are obviously in sammy's tier 1 or 2 at the least. I'll let the SoCal boys comment more on Bosco.

That being said, DLS was going to be pretty strong this year IMHO....hence going to Texas. QB coming back is huge. He'll need to up his game a tad, but based upon the way he looked at the end of the season last year (which was pretty good), we can only assume he'll be at least a little better than that. So they should be good at QB. They've got a Cal commit at WR in Hearns. Berry (who's better than Hearns in my opinion) will be getting offers from many schools by the end of this year...and he'll be at the other WR. Tagaloa will be the TE. 6-5 240...but green at the position. Even though they lost Garrett and Coby, don't expect the RB position to be a weakness. Greer, Norfleet, and Perkins will be tough to deal with. And the OL will be really strong...with solid DLS-type OLmen. But they also have some of big boys coming up from JV as well that are supposed to be pretty darn good. But as we know, being big doesn't necessarily translate in to good at DLS. So we'll see.

The DL will be stout with Tasi, Tafaeono at DTs, and Tagaloa at one DE. There are several kids vying for that other DE spot. They are pretty deep at LB. They have one 3*senior returning, but after that there will be a bunch of strong candidates for the other spots led by Perkins. Perkins is a beast. Strong but young. Both corners return, and they have to replace Garrett at FS...that'll be Berry for sure. 

DLS is talented and young, but will have senior leadership in the right positions. They should be even better next year. They've got two QBs that appear to be ready to step in and most of the talent of this year's team will return. 

BUT.....who knows how covid has affected all of these teams. To me, this game is a pick 'em. Pray for it to happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I will be flying out for this one for sure....if it happens. We can only pray that it does.

SJB clearly loses a lot, but you know they'll be tough. Even losing a lot, they still are obviously in sammy's tier 1 or 2 at the least. I'll let the SoCal boys comment more on Bosco.

That being said, DLS was going to be pretty strong this year IMHO....hence going to Texas. QB coming back is huge. He'll need to up his game a tad, but based upon the way he looked at the end of the season last year (which was pretty good), we can only assume he'll be at least a little better than that. So they should be good at QB. They've got a Cal commit at WR in Hearns. Berry (who's better than Hearns in my opinion) will be getting offers from many schools by the end of this year...and he'll be at the other WR. Tagaloa will be the TE. 6-5 240...but green at the position. Even though they lost Garrett and Coby, don't expect the RB position to be a weakness. Greer, Norfleet, and Perkins will be tough to deal with. And the OL will be really strong...with solid DLS-type OLmen. But they also have some of big boys coming up from JV as well that are supposed to be pretty darn good. But as we know, being big doesn't necessarily translate in to good at DLS. So we'll see.

The DL will be stout with Tasi, Tafaeono at DTs, and Tagaloa at one DE. There are several kids vying for that other DE spot. They are pretty deep at LB. They have one 3*senior returning, but after that there will be a bunch of strong candidates for the other spots led by Perkins. Perkins is a beast. Strong but young. Both corners return, and they have to replace Garrett at FS...that'll be Berry for sure. 

DLS is talented and young, but will have senior leadership in the right positions. They should be even better next year. They've got two QBs that appear to be ready to step in and most of the talent of this year's team will return. 

BUT.....who knows how covid has affected all of these teams. To me, this game is a pick 'em. Pray for it to happen.

I will say this about SJB, I'll never forget in the 2014 season they had graduated 10 seniors on defense and 7 seniors on offense and had to field an almost brand new team of players that never saw varsity before. They managed to go 12-2 that season playing a national schedule, winning the Trinity League with the only two losses to Number 1 BG and Corona Centennial both by one score. That has everything to do with coaching and the program of SJB. SJB is an LA team but no way a Poly, Serra, or Narbonne all talent no discipline/coaching.

From what I've seen DLS ALWAYS seems to struggle and fumble with their veer offense early in the week 0/week 1 games for the past decade I've watched them since the 2008 Don Bosco game.

• Like 2

I know alot of people dismiss SJB as just a team of talent with no coaching/culture but you should have seen SJB back in the 2003 days with Kiki Mendoza. Guy had several NFL players on his team and drew talent just like Negro did but struggled to beat Orange Lutheran and public schools in orange county. He went 3-7 the year he had a couple of college and NFL guys on his team. He had no idea what he was doing, not until negro took over the machine. Gotta give the guy some credit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jserralions said:

MD isn't "bleeding" talented seniors.  A whopping three (George, Jaylin and Cristian) are foregoing next season (no, Moss doesn't count; never even suited up for us), and none of them were even the best in their position group.  The seniors who are the best at their position (Raesjon and Kyron) are staying to play.  MD will be just fine, and will smoke both SJB and DLS this season.

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

MD isn't "bleeding" talented seniors.  A whopping three (George, Jaylin and Cristian) are foregoing next season (no, Moss doesn't count; never even suited up for us), and none of them were even the best in their position group.  The seniors who are the best at their position (Raesjon and Kyron) are staying to play.  MD will be just fine, and will smoke both SJB and DLS this season.

George Mikkihan isn't foregoing his senior year. He's decided to play. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blueliner said:

Awesome Post as Always Brother, You nailed it on The Spartans as usual!!!...

The biggest question to me is the RB’s, Norfleet is more of a power Back, but I have heard there is some serious speed back there with the others you mentioned, but they don’t have that Big Game type of experience yet.... But this is how they get it by playing in these games....

Also wondering if Zeke will be playing any RB?.... From what I have heard he has had a great off season So I am wondering if we will see him at RB possibly.... He will definitely be their next Big Time Recruit!!!...

Its too bad I won’t see you at the Folsom game, I am sure you are not flying out for that one!!...🤣🤣🍻👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jserralions said:

I know alot of people dismiss SJB as just a team of talent with no coaching/culture but you should have seen SJB back in the 2003 days with Kiki Mendoza. Guy had several NFL players on his team and drew talent just like Negro did but struggled to beat Orange Lutheran and public schools in orange county. He went 3-7 the year he had a couple of college and NFL guys on his team. He had no idea what he was doing, not until negro took over the machine. Gotta give the guy some credit

Dude.... You lost me at the “ You guys think Negro is Not a Good Coach Part”....🤣

Remember, this is a National Board, no Coach SJB has ever had has raised SJB’s national profile more then JN.... He has made them a regular contender for the “Mythical Natty” and helped shape the current landscape of HSFB.... 

The rest of your post was Awesome and right on, but come on man, No one thinks the coaching is SJB is bad and it is just talent, You don’t win the games he has without being able to coach.... 🤣🤣

Remember, MD was so scared of JN and SJB that they unleashed their Lawyers on the CIF to change the Transfer riules.... SJB in their league Along with Cen10 Joining their Playoff Bracket and 0-4 to DLS, MD had enough and said “Watch This”....🤣🤣🤣

JN is one of the Great Coaches in So Cal HSFB History..... 🍻

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jserralions said:

15 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Dude.... You lost me at the “ You guys think Negro is Not a Good Coach Part”....🤣

Remember, this is a National Board, no Coach SJB has ever had has raised SJB’s national profile more then JN.... He has made them a regular contender for the “Mythical Natty” and helped shape the current landscape of HSFB.... 

The rest of your post was Awesome and right on, but come on man, No one thinks the coaching is SJB is bad and it is just talent, You don’t win the games he has without being able to coach.... 🤣🤣

Remember, MD was so scared of JN and SJB that they unleashed their Lawyers on the CIF to change the Transfer riules.... SJB in their league Along with Cen10 Joining their Playoff Bracket and 0-4 to DLS, MD had enough and said “Watch This”....🤣🤣🤣

JN is one of the Great Coaches in So Cal HSFB History..... 🍻

Kiki did more with less. Negro capitalized on Long Beach Poly demise, due to coaching changes and LB schools changing transfer policy. Los Al losing Barnes and other factors probably factor in as well. Shit ebbs and flows. Negro is the right guy at the right time and has taken advantage of his situation and flourished.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Awesome Post as Always Brother, You nailed it on The Spartans as usual!!!...

The biggest question to me is the RB’s, Norfleet is more of a power Back, but I have heard there is some serious speed back there with the others you mentioned, but they don’t have that Big Game type of experience yet.... But this is how they get it by playing in these games....

Also wondering if Zeke will be playing any RB?.... From what I have heard he has had a great off season So I am wondering if we will see him at RB possibly.... He will definitely be their next Big Time Recruit!!!...

Its too bad I won’t see you at the Folsom game, I am sure you are not flying out for that one!!...🤣🤣🍻👍

Thanks for the kind words bro. I’m getting cautiously excited about the potential upcoming “season”. 

Norfleet will definitely be the power back. Kid is listed at 216 now. But he’s got some speed as well. He’s worked really hard...kept getting injured running track to increase speed. But if he’s 100%, he’ll be a able to get those tough yards when needed. He’ll get those extra yards and breakaways by being able to break tackles.

Greer is flat out fast. He pretty much in the mold of Garett, but supposedly a bit faster. That’s obviously great if that’s the case.

Perkins is a beast. A man boy. He’s got power and speed. Probably coulda played varsity as a frosh. He’s likely going to be the starting MLB as well. 

Zeke! I’m glad to hear that he had a great offseason. Not surprised. You could see that kid growing and getting faster as the season progresses last year. He made several big plays against SJB in the Open. Remember the 60 yards TD catch...Called back for holding though. He’s a kid that they’ll want to get the ball to. He was 6-1 180 listed last year as a soph. Looking forward to see what he looks like now. He’s also a brutal hitter. He’ll be perfect at FS. But he could be plugged in at Spartan (SS) with his size, aggressiveness, and speed. We shall see. Lots of talent.

I might fly out for the Folsom game and/or Cathedral game. Let’s se how those teams look leading up. I’d like to, but not sure I wanna fly 2700 to watch a game over at half. Cathedral is supposed to be decent I think. But I have a feeling Folsom will get crushed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

Thanks for the kind words bro. I’m getting cautiously excited about the potential upcoming “season”. 

Norfleet will definitely be the power back. Kid is listed at 216 now. But he’s got some speed as well. He’s worked really hard...kept getting injured running track to increase speed. But if he’s 100%, he’ll be a able to get those tough yards when needed. He’ll get those extra yards and breakaways by being able to break tackles.

Greer is flat out fast. He pretty much in the mold of Garett, but supposedly a bit faster. That’s obviously great if that’s the case.

Perkins is a beast. A man boy. He’s got power and speed. Probably coulda played varsity as a frosh. He’s likely going to be the starting MLB as well. 

Zeke! I’m glad to hear that he had a great offseason. Not surprised. You could see that kid growing and getting faster as the season progresses last year. He made several big plays against SJB in the Open. Remember the 60 yards TD catch...Called back for holding though. He’s a kid that they’ll want to get the ball to. He was 6-1 180 listed last year as a soph. Looking forward to see what he looks like now. He’s also a brutal hitter. He’ll be perfect at FS. But he could be plugged in at Spartan (SS) with his size, aggressiveness, and speed. We shall see. Lots of talent.

I might fly out for the Folsom game and/or Cathedral game. Let’s se how those teams look leading up. I’d like to, but not sure I wanna fly 2700 to watch a game over at half. Cathedral is supposed to be decent I think. But I have a feeling Folsom will get crushed. 

It's good to see you back posting . You always seem to have insight as to what is happening with Spartans . How the heck do you keep up living in Knoxville now ? Did you just recently relocate ?  This will be a big game for the rb's , and as always these early season games, the concern is to's . Hale will have to rise to the occasion , unlike last season against STA , where  he just flat out choked , costing them the game . Tagaloa at TE is questionable with his speed , but since last season was his first playing football, he could hyper improve , especially on the DL and blocking on O . You nailed it with Perkins imop . I don't think he started last season until maybe the end . He is in the calibre of Zeke . If Spartans can elevate their execution close to the level of Good Spartan teams , this team could be a threat come playoff time . They just need to capitalise on their opportunities , especially when playing the likes of MD or SJB . 

• Like 1