LCA incident

WCACguy

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Two teenagers were stabbed, and a coach was attacked during a high school football practice, according to Chesterfield Police.

Police confirm that the two football standouts were protecting their coach when they were ambushed with a knife. The county’s police chief, Jeffrey Katz, called the teens “heroes.”

A disgruntled father, whose son plays on the team, is accused of carrying out the violent act that started with a fight on the football field.

Chesterfield police search for teen accused of double stabbing

Life Christian Academy is well known for its nationally ranked football program, however, players and coaches were shaken when things took a violent turn on Tuesday evening. 8News was on the scene as Chesterfield County Police officers swarmed the private school’s football practice at Carver Middle School.

mugshot-1.jpg

Officers say a player on the team was reprimanded by a coach and dismissed from football practice. 8News is told that player returned back to the field with his father and things quickly escalated. Chesterfield Police say the 17-year-old started physically assaulting his coach. Two other players, a 17 and 18 year old, jumped into action to protect the man who guides them on and off the field, their coach.

The player’s father, 46-year-old Turon Savoy, pulled out a knife and stabbed the teens in the chest and face multiple times and ran from the scene, according to police.
Officers were able to locate Savoy and arrest him.

“We ask for your prayers, ” said Michael Cherry, Head of School at Life Christian Academy. “We appreciate the concerns that have been expressed in the community and we thank the Chesterfield County Police Department.”

Spotsylvania mother found stabbed to death, daughter charged with murder

Cherry says there was no football practice on Wednesday as the students prepare for this weekend’s away game. He adds that they’re hurting emotionally.

“We ask that you continue to give us the privacy that we need to heal as a community and that our students can properly get done with our healing process,” Cherry says. “Thank you and God Bless.”

Life Christian Academy notified all parents of Tuesday night’s incident.

Katz described the incident in an online post stating in part, “I received a call I dread” and thanked the players as well as the community.

“I’d like to take this opportunity to publicly THANK those two heroic players for doing the right thing. To THANK the coach for committing to the development of our community’s youth at personal risk, and to THANK the men and women of the Chesterfield County Police Department who continue to choose entry into the arena – sometimes to the jeers of jackals – in order to make a positive difference in our community and serve complete strangers in their time of greatest need. I consider it the honor of a lifetime to stand beside them and to advocate for their spirit of selfless service. Let’s never forget the importance of simply being kind to one another.”

JEFFREY KATZ- CHESTERFIELD POLICE CHIEF 

Both victims were released from the hospital and are expected to make a full recovery.

Savoy is facing felony malicious wounding charges and has a court date set for January 6, 2021.

• Sad 4

As much as I dislike the type of program this is about... I don't think anyone can blame the school or church for the actions of a student and his father really. 

I do hope the injured young men heal quickly and have no lasting physical effects from this attack. I'm sure they will have a lot of mental stuff to deal with for years to come. 

It is incumbent on the school and program to do everything they can to protect their student athletes though. Likely some money going to be doled out behind this. 

• Thanks 3
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

As much as I dislike the type of program this is about... I don't think anyone can blame the school or church for the actions of a student and his father really. 

I do hope the injured young men heal quickly and have no lastung physical effects from this attack. I'm sure they will have a lot of mental stuff to deal with for years to come. 

It is incumbent on the school and program to do everything they can to protect their student athletes though. Likely some money going to be doled out behind this. 

Hawg modeling poster behavior for the “mob”.

🤩

bgw

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The  REAL LCA has a nice little stadium with new field turf and MONEY..........the fake LCA has nothing but problems....

The fake LCA won't last 2 years.

1500x500.jpg

Where are the stands?  Surely those little things on the sidelines are the only seating available.

38 minutes ago, CODBEARD said:

Agree up to point but the coaches do hold some responsibility for who they bring into the program and school. Character matters.. particularly if he is trying to sell his kids to college coaches.. It's not a good look for anyone ..

Hmmm. Can't say I agree with this.  The whole purpose of the church and by extension the school and football program is to reach out and serve those in the community.  Besides, unless the kid has a violent past that is not disclosed here, who could predict that he would react this way and more importantly that his father would?  His father was the one that pulled the knife, not the kid according to this story.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CODBEARD said:

Agree up to point but the coaches do hold some responsibility for who they bring into the program and school. Character matters.. particularly if he is trying to sell his kids to college coaches.. It's not a good look for anyone ..

I do agree with this. A lot of times, coaches could sacrifice some athlete's character issues in trade for needing the athleticism at the position. Coaches are often in a precarious position of catering to the folks that ultimately pay their bills, and wins matter, or they won't work there very long. 

It's a bit of a juggling/balancing act for the coaches I guess. Idk if they had seen trouble on the horizon with this particular kid or not, but, once they did, of course they tried to remove him and it caused the team to basically lose 3 players at once. I haven't paid a lot of attention to this school, but, a lot of these little teams don't go very deep on their rosters. 

This could be a definite issue for them going forward as far as that goes, of course they're still reeling from the incident, so, it seems a bit insensitive to be thinking that far ahead already, but, it's something they're going to have to do as a program themselves soon if not already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred said:

Where are the stands?  Surely those little things on the sidelines are the only seating available.

I believe that little stadium holds around 3500-3750........The REAL LCA is a 2A/D3 private (small school)

Anyways, that's 3500-3750 more than the fraud LCA can get into their stadium....which consists of a couple benches in the Mountains of Virginia behind the church.

I'm not even sure where the FRAUD LCA practices..

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

This particular kid isn't their typical 5th year reclasser. He transferred in this year as a reclassed Soph. (17 year old) from Midlothian High, VA.. Not that I know anything about the kids situation but it has been my experience kids who transfer to programs like this as a underclassmen do so as a result of issues from their pervious school whether that be academic or what have you.. He is not really a D1 prospect as a 6'1 240 DT IMO ..but again what evs.. Dad is a piece of work and probably thinks the kid is going pro or whatever and Coach was in the way..

Probably More like...

Dad was the one paying all that money for his 17-yr old "sophomore" to transfer to this school and is watching all the money being wasted because he's not getting that PT.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:28 PM, CODBEARD said:

This particular kid isn't their typical 5th year reclasser. He transferred in this year as a reclassed Soph. (17 year old) from Midlothian High, VA.. Not that I know anything about the kids situation but it has been my experience kids who transfer to programs like this as a underclassmen do so as a result of issues from their pervious school whether that be academic or what have you.. 

Looks like he is well-traveled:

#44 on Manchester JV team in 2018, Manchester is another Chesterfield County school

https://manchesterlancerathletics.org/main/teamroster/id/3693009/seasonId/4357744

8th Grade team at Benedictine:

https://www.benedictinecollegeprep.org/athletics-old/middies/middies-football/8th-grade-team

• Thanks 1