Ohio Playoffs Round 4 (Elite 8) *COVID Edition*

Coletrain06

Region 4 

Lakota West vs St. Xavier - St. X 30 West 17

West was able to beat Colerain 23-7. The game was closer than this, but things started to unravel for Colerain at the end of the game as they went into desperation mode. West was able to use their superior size, talent and depth; and ultimately wore out the Cards. Colerain was already playing a handful of guys both ways, but due to some injuries prior/early in the game, the Colerain Offense and Defense were short a couple starters, and had to make due with playing a lot of the guys both ways. Colerain had a good game plan in the 1st half, with a lot of counters, misdirection, and creative plays which had them leading 7-3 at half. In the 2nd half, it seemed Colerain's offense lost its creativity and went to straight handoffs under center. On top of that Bolden and West made great adjustments, especially on offense and took advantage of a tiring and frustrated team. West's kicker was also a big weapon as he kicked a 51 yd FG, and put the kickoff in the end zone every time, even after a 15 yd penalty!

X's offense was unstoppable again as they beat Elder 56-28. X has a lot of talent at QB and WR/TE and are pretty solid up front. Their defense has been very solid against the run, but very vulnerable to the pass. The Bombers Special Teams are superb. 

This should be a very interesting game. The West Defense vs the X Offense. West will be able to shut down the X run game. West also has 2 highly rated DB's that should provide some good coverage on the deep ball. The matchup will come down to how well the West LB's and D front are able to handle the underneath and intermediate routes.......the other matchup, The West Offense vs the X Defense, will have more influence on the final outcome IMO. I'm not sure how much success West can have if they come out trying to establish the run. It could be an effective method of slowing down the game and running the clock if they can pick up some first downs here and there....or it could result in some quick 3 and outs and giving up field position. West will need to establish some sort of passing game. Mitch Bolden is capable, but his talents are more in game management, and intelligent decisions, rather than a drop back or rollout passer.......I think field position and the ability to flip it will always be one of the biggest keys to beating X. If West can do this, they have a decent shot.  Overall I dont think West's offense will be able to keep up with X, but I do think the West Defense will do a much better job than most people think against the X Offense. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Region 4 

Lakota West vs St. Xavier - St. X 30 West 17

West was able to beat Colerain 23-7. The game was closer than this, but things started to unravel for Colerain at the end of the game as they went into desperation mode. West was able to use their superior size, talent and depth; and ultimately wore out the Cards. Colerain was already playing a handful of guys both ways, but due to some injuries prior/early in the game, the Colerain Offense and Defense were short a couple starters, and had to make due with playing a lot of the guys both ways. Colerain had a good game plan in the 1st half, with a lot of counters, misdirection, and creative plays which had them leading 7-3 at half. In the 2nd half, it seemed Colerain's offense lost its creativity and went to straight handoffs under center. On top of that Bolden and West made great adjustments, especially on offense and took advantage of a tiring and frustrated team. West's kicker was also a big weapon as he kicked a 51 yd FG, and put the kickoff in the end zone every time, even after a 15 yd penalty!

X's offense was unstoppable again as they beat Elder 56-28. X has a lot of talent at QB and WR/TE and are pretty solid up front. Their defense has been very solid against the run, but very vulnerable to the pass. The Bombers Special Teams are superb. 

This should be a very interesting game. The West Defense vs the X Offense. West will be able to shut down the X run game. West also has 2 highly rated DB's that should provide some good coverage on the deep ball. The matchup will come down to how well the West LB's and D front are able to handle the underneath and intermediate routes.......the other matchup, The West Offense vs the X Defense, will have more influence on the final outcome IMO. I'm not sure how much success West can have if they come out trying to establish the run. It could be an effective method of slowing down the game and running the clock if they can pick up some first downs here and there....or it could result in some quick 3 and outs and giving up field position. West will need to establish some sort of passing game. Mitch Bolden is capable, but his talents are more in game management, and intelligent decisions, rather than a drop back or rollout passer.......I think field position and the ability to flip it will always be one of the biggest keys to beating X. If West can do this, they have a decent shot.  Overall I dont think West's offense will be able to keep up with X, but I do think the West Defense will do a much better job than most people think against the X Offense. 

Winner of this game wins state?

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

Pick Central the heavy favorite. 

After that, I'd like X's chances next, followed by Mentor, then Lakota West.

With the way this X offense has been clicking, I think the gap between them and PC has narrowed. No legitimate contender among the final 8 has played a weaker schedule than PC to date. X would be the far more battle tested team should those two meet in a semifinal or final game. PC has not been punched in the mouth yet, and they likely won't until next week at the earliest. 

I like Medina's chances this week against Mentor as well. Allar is playing at a very high level right now, and Mentor has not been challenged in weeks. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, OdbCle said:

With the way this X offense has been clicking, I think the gap between them and PC has narrowed. No legitimate contender among the final 8 has played a weaker schedule than PC to date. X would be the far more battle tested team should those two meet in a semifinal or final game. PC has not been punched in the mouth yet, and they likely won't until next week at the earliest. 

I like Medina's chances this week against Mentor as well. Allar is playing at a very high level right now, and Mentor has not been challenged in weeks. 

I agree. This week will be a big tell. It's been awhile since X has faced a good defense.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OdbCle said:

False on Pickerington Central having the weakest schedule of the final 8 teams.  You best not look at the names of some of the teams because a lot of the usual players were very average teams.

10 hours ago, nptb17 said:

False on Pickerington Central having the weakest schedule of the final 8 teams.  You best not look at the names of some of the teams because a lot of the usual players were very average teams.

I said the weakest of the legit contenders among the final 8, not the final 8 itself. I consider the legit contenders to be X, PC, West, Mentor, and Medina. Of those 5, PC has played the weakest slate to date by any objective measure. Will that matter in the long run? Perhaps not. 

1 hour ago, OdbCle said:

I said the weakest of the legit contenders among the final 8, not the final 8 itself. I consider the legit contenders to be X, PC, West, Mentor, and Medina. Of those 5, PC has played the weakest slate to date by any objective measure. Will that matter in the long run? Perhaps not. 

Springfield has also played one of the toughest schedules to date. Olentangy Liberty is close to the bottom but I'd still give them the edge

Any time a public school HC wears a tie during the game you have to say: beware of that guy coaching that team.

that team is Pick Central and coach is Sheridan and he is a cool cucumber 

they are the perennial favorite to win which will be back to back

lot of respect for the program and the guy that makes it tick😀