PA state finals this weekend

MA Fan

Get up early on Black Friday to be first in line for your PCN subscription:

https://pcntv.com/football/

Or don't, because there's no compelling marquee matchup this year.

Friday

11:00 Class 1A: Steelton-Highspire (9-0) vs. Jeannette (10-1)--Both teams start freshman quarterbacks, although Jeannette's may be out injured. "Steel-High" is such a great name for a Pennsylvania school.

3:30 Class 3A: Central Valley (11-0) vs. Wyomissing (9-0)--Maybe the best matchup of the six, Central Valley lost in last year's final after leading by two touchdowns. Neither team has had a competitive game this year.

8:00 Class 5A: Pine-Richland (10-0) vs. Erie Cathedral Prep (7-2)--Pine-Richland is down from Class 6A and Cathedral Prep is up from 4A. P-R won their semifinal last week 48-44 after trailing 41-19. Cathedral Prep advanced due to COVID forfeit the last two weeks so who knows what they have, I don't think they're supposed to be as good as they were a couple years ago.

Saturday

11:00 Class 2A: Southern Columbia (11-0) vs. Wilmington (10-0)--Southern Columbia up to 59 straight wins, closest game this year has been 27 points. Third time in four years that Wilmington has been their challenger in the championship game, the previous two meetings ended up 48-0 and 49-14.

3:30 Class 4A: Thomas Jefferson (9-1) vs. Jersey Shore (10-0)--Defending champs TJ beat Aliquippa in an epic WPIAL final a couple weeks ago, which may have decided the state championship.

8:00 Class 6A: St. Joseph's Prep (5-0) vs. Central York (10-0)--SJP is so good that they put a running clock on their season, reaching the championship in just five games. Central York didn't get any forfeit wins, but they did get some COVID assistance on their road to the final with Harrisburg and Pittsburgh Central Catholic dropping out of the playoffs. CY has a QB committed to Penn State but it'll be a success if they can avoid the running clock in this one.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Jeannette is the Jayhawks and they wear Kansas colors...have to be pretty comfortable in your football abilities to do that.

Inauspicious start to the 1A game as Steel-High fumbles twice on their first play, the second recovered by Jeannette, and then the Jayhawks throw an interception in their first play.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MA Fan said:

Jeannette is the Jayhawks and they wear Kansas colors...have to be pretty comfortable in your football abilities to do that.

Inauspicious start to the 1A game as Steel-High fumbles twice on their first play, the second recovered by Jeannette, and then the Jayhawks throw an interception in their first play.

Isnt Jeannette that small team whos always good? 

• Thumbs Down 1

Steel-High wins the 1A game 32-20, sealing it with a pick six in the last two minutes. Turned into an entertaining game after a slow start.

Incredible play with about three minutes left. Jeannette inside their own 10, second and a mile. QB standing on the goal line in the shotgun, snap comes to him along the ground and rolls right past him. QB sprints back, grabs the ball just before it goes out the back of the end zone, and fires a mid-air pass like a guy saving a basketball from going out of bounds. Unfortunately the pass goes straight to a Steel-High defender, but two steps later a Jeannette receiver knocks the ball loose, recovers the fumble, and the Jayhawks are back in business. Big gain on the next play, and they got inside Steel-High territory before the key interception.

35 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Aliquippa I was thinking of too. PA has some good small ball. Comparable to small publics  from any power state 

Yeah, Aliquippa is pretty amazing. Played up three classes this year, lost to Thomas Jefferson in overtime in the WPIAL championship and TJ is probably going to win the state championship tomorrow. Southern Columbia is legit too. As I mentioned in the Ohio thread, it would be fun to see some small-school OOS games.

• Like 1

38-7 under a minute to go in the half. Central York got a score to make it 24-7, but SJP answered right away with a 78-yard pass from McCord to Cooper, and then it was Cooper with the halfback pass to Hagans for another long touchdown pass. Cooper played QB last year when McCord was injured.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:44 PM, MA Fan said:

Get up early on Black Friday to be first in line for your PCN subscription:

https://pcntv.com/football/

Or don't, because there's no compelling marquee matchup this year.

Friday

11:00 Class 1A: Steelton-Highspire (9-0) vs. Jeannette (10-1)--Both teams start freshman quarterbacks, although Jeannette's may be out injured. "Steel-High" is such a great name for a Pennsylvania school.

3:30 Class 3A: Central Valley (11-0) vs. Wyomissing (9-0)--Maybe the best matchup of the six, Central Valley lost in last year's final after leading by two touchdowns. Neither team has had a competitive game this year.

8:00 Class 5A: Pine-Richland (10-0) vs. Erie Cathedral Prep (7-2)--Pine-Richland is down from Class 6A and Cathedral Prep is up from 4A. P-R won their semifinal last week 48-44 after trailing 41-19. Cathedral Prep advanced due to COVID forfeit the last two weeks so who knows what they have, I don't think they're supposed to be as good as they were a couple years ago.

Saturday

11:00 Class 2A: Southern Columbia (11-0) vs. Wilmington (10-0)--Southern Columbia up to 59 straight wins, closest game this year has been 27 points. Third time in four years that Wilmington has been their challenger in the championship game, the previous two meetings ended up 48-0 and 49-14.

3:30 Class 4A: Thomas Jefferson (9-1) vs. Jersey Shore (10-0)--Defending champs TJ beat Aliquippa in an epic WPIAL final a couple weeks ago, which may have decided the state championship.

8:00 Class 6A: St. Joseph's Prep (5-0) vs. Central York (10-0)--SJP is so good that they put a running clock on their season, reaching the championship in just five games. Central York didn't get any forfeit wins, but they did get some COVID assistance on their road to the final with Harrisburg and Pittsburgh Central Catholic dropping out of the playoffs. CY has a QB committed to Penn State but it'll be a success if they can avoid the running clock in this one.

glad you didn't use GSB for any diligence.  had you, you probably would have referred to CY's QB as Pa's top safety

how'd they do against Eds?  that tends to to the the tell.  Eds doesn't travel like they use to

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mad-Water said:

glad you didn't use GSB for any diligence.  had you, you probably would have referred to CY's QB as Pa's top safety

how'd they do against Eds?  that tends to to the the tell.  Eds doesn't travel like they use to

Hey MW how’s your pumping Joisey SPP coming along? 😂

Tell us about the novice ranking services that GSB hangs out with

3 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Hey MW how’s your pumping Joisey SPP coming along? 😂

Tell us about the novice ranking services that GSB hangs out with

i like SPP academically--that's it.

1 game in, i ranked BC top 25, SPP top 50, Joes top 75, Bosco top 150, and Bayonne top 8,053

i think my NJ rankings have stood the test of time.  too bad, you-know-who doesn't listen to me because I don't like Mary's ranking

Eds' not playing a full season definitely caused some confusion, but I was right about Pick Six, although I held off printing it till after X beat them

On 11/28/2020 at 10:31 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

I respect the PCL teams immensely. Unlike the MIAA teams in MD, when the going gets tough, they don’t boycott the best team in their conference and force them to play an independent schedule. #PAtough 

I must have missed SJP's players from France, VA, FL, etc... all living in school provided housing paid for by the HC in total contravention of PCL league rules

#FalseEquivalency #ApplestoOranges #TeamsWithCoachesWhoCanActuallyCoachFootballDontNeedNationalAllStarTeamsToWinStates

• Like 2