Censorship on this site?

On2whls

On 1/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, Belly Bob said:

[...]We're going to have to think hard on the nature of free speech and its relation to other basic rights, which has always exercised thoughtful people and has often been an issue in this country, but in recent years, the problem has become more pressing and even more difficult, given the new technologies and the behavior of fools.

@Belly Bob

I particularly liked the way you characterized the question of free speech as a call to think hard on the nature of free speech and its relation to other basic rights. 

As a young man of only 5yds, I accepted that more speech is better and the government should regulate it as little as possible. I believed in  the fundamentally optimistic vision that good ideas win, the better argument will prove more persuasive – The “free marketplace of ideas,” as famously coined by Justice William O. Douglas. 

As an older man of 15yds,  events demonstrate that good ideas don’t necessarily triumph in the marketplace of ideas.  We are experiencing a market failure when it comes to reliable information voters need to make informed choices and to have confidence in the integrity of our electoral system.  Too much deliberate disinformation aimed at destabilizing democratic institutions and civic competence is a threat to democracy itself.

So here we are…An information war might seem to be just about free speech, but what is at stake is far more…Tinkering with the 1A is dangerous, but stasis is dangerous too.  I'm afraid there may not be a safe harbor…

(Note:  This is a discussion about free speech and I have some inexpert thoughts that I find ideologically uncomfortable, so I am trying to understand better.  Expression of an idea here does not necessarily imply endorsement of that idea – That’s how discussions of real questions work)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

@Belly Bob

I particularly liked the way you characterized the question of free speech as a call to think hard on the nature of free speech and its relation to other basic rights. 

As a young man of only 5yds, I accepted that more speech is better and the government should regulate it as little as possible. I believed in  the fundamentally optimistic vision that good ideas win, the better argument will prove more persuasive – The “free marketplace of ideas,” as famously coined by Justice William O. Douglas. 

As an older man of 15yds,  events demonstrate that good ideas don’t necessarily triumph in the marketplace of ideas.  We are experiencing a market failure when it comes to reliable information voters need to make informed choices and to have confidence in the integrity of our electoral system.  Too much deliberate disinformation aimed at destabilizing democratic institutions and civic competence is a threat to democracy itself.

So here we are…An information war might seem to be just about free speech, but what is at stake is far more…Tinkering with the 1A is dangerous, but stasis is dangerous too.  I'm afraid there may not be a safe harbor…

(Note:  This is a discussion about free speech and I have some inexpert thoughts that I find ideologically uncomfortable, so I am trying to understand better.  Expression of an idea here does not necessarily imply endorsement of that idea – That’s how discussions of real questions work)

Your fine print is finer than your print 😆

and when the ACLU is agin it....🤓

11 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Any Ron Paul fans on this site???

Not any more 🤓

he was just cancelled too🤪

for not being up to community standards 👍

🍿

LOL.."community standards"??...your standers are anything but "standard"...he got wacked too??..LOL...because he's a conspiracy nut job who I'm sure posted something harmful like his master...🤡

On 1/11/2021 at 5:03 PM, 15yds4gibberish said:

@Belly Bob

I used to think that if you took care of freedom, the truth would take care of itself. 

I'm not sure I believe that anymore, and it's not at all clear to me what should be done about it. 

Education has got to be part of the long-term solution. I think the Founding Fathers had that in mind from the very beginning. Government by the people doesn't work if the people can't think. 

Let me know if you come up with something or if you come across anything worth reading or listening to. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I used to think that if you took care of freedom, the truth would take care of itself. 

I'm not sure I believe that anymore, and it's not at all clear to me what should be done about it. 

Simple ...

don’t allow monopolies in media 🤓and for sure don’t allow monopolistic media to de platform any competition preventing free speech in the name of free speech 🤪

Now where is my cookie 🍪 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Simple ...

don’t allow monopolies in media 🤓and for sure don’t allow monopolistic media to de platform any competition preventing free speech in the name of free speech 🤪

Now where is my cookie 🍪 

The events of the 6th weren't caused by our lack of media alternatives.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Belly Bob said:

The events of the 6th weren't caused by our lack of media alternatives.

As much media driven as the storming of the Supreme Court lol

talk about making a point 🤣using no lack of media as an excuse for media driven is not really a good look 👀

🍿

• Like 1

It still seems like there is more than one thing to consider about this particular censorship question. A biggie to me is whether or not a private company has the right to remove content per its community standards, and the other is whether that constitutes any actual real life violations of the first amendment. 

I have the belief that a company like Twitter has an absolute responsibility to keeping its users safe as per their community standards and guidelines. Apparently some folks disagree with the standards and guidelines and how they choose to enforce them, but, for me that isn't a free speech question because you can go stand in front of the local Piggly Wiggly with snuff spit dripping down your chin and say whatever you want. 

Whether or not you can convey that "whatever you want" to 100s of millions of people/users on someone else's platform with the push of one button though is something else entirely I think. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Education has got to be part of the long-term solution. I think the Founding Fathers had that in mind from the very beginning. Government by the people doesn't work if the people can't think. 

Let me know if you come up with something or if you come across anything worth reading or listening to. 

bgw

13 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It still seems like there is more than one thing to consider about this particular censorship question. A biggie to me is whether or not a private company has the right to remove content per its community standards, and the other is whether that constitutes any actual real life violations of the first amendment. 

I have the belief that a company like Twitter has an absolute responsibility to keeping its users safe as per their community standards and guidelines. Apparently some folks disagree with the standards and guidelines and how they choose to enforce them, but, for me that isn't a free speech question because you can go stand in front of the local Piggly Wiggly with snuff spit dripping down your chin and say whatever you want. 

Whether or not you can convey that "whatever you want" to 100s of millions of people/users on someone else's platform with the push of one button though is something else entirely I think. 

Folks are feeding their belief system with the "narrative" to support their belief system.  Then acting on it in extreme cases.

Thank God for Georgia voters even though not a landslide, I believe spoke to this in the election of POTUS and the two senate runoffs.

I anticipate Texas to turn blue as a result of this latest debacle, it may be as early as 2024...that's optimistic provided the DemoCraps don't shoot themselves in the foot.

bgw 

bgw

On 1/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Bormio said:

When the German chancellor speaks out in defense of free speech and trashes Twitter’s stance, maybe the censorship Stasi ought to check itself.

What kind of ‘censorship stasi’ country is it when private individuals running a private company can decide not to associate with or provide a platform to a dangerous autocrat who incites armed insurrection to overturn the results of our democratic elections?

• Like 1