Censorship on this site?

On2whls

23 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Folks are feeding their belief system with the "narrative" to support their belief system.  Then acting on it in extreme cases.

Thank God for Georgia voters even though not a landslide, I believe spoke to this in the election of POTUS and the two senate runoffs.

I anticipate Texas to turn blue as a result of this latest debacle, it may be as early as 2024...that's optimistic provided the DemoCraps don't shoot themselves in the foot.

bgw 

bgw

The thing is, upon creating a profile on a site, you are basically entering into an agreement with the site to operate within their community standards and guidelines. I'd also say that those standards and guidelines can and may be adjusted depending on peer review and social norms on the platform.  I'd think that its inferred from that, your content is open to review by artificial intelligence, moderators and other users of the same platform. 

For instance, I see reports here relatively often, and sometimes the report is on some content that I have already seen but didn't choose to be proactive on removing it or taking some other action. (Perhaps on different days I could have a different mood and be more proactive. Idk. I try not to, but, I don't rule out that could happen being a human) so I then have to read the report, and then review the content in a new light as it has been reported, hopefully with some reasoning for the report. It is possible that considering a report on something I already thought was a bit on the edge, I then choose to remove the content. That comes off as more of a peer review than as a site unilaterally censoring someone's content. 

I don't think people put a ton of thought into these processes when they shout first amendment/censorship etc. Even the president entered into a contract with twitter, so that then leaves his content open for peer review and even more hardline a unilateral moderation by the site mods or its algorithm etc. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I used to think that if you took care of freedom, the truth would take care of itself. 

I'm not sure I believe that anymore, and it's not at all clear to me what should be done about it. 

Education has got to be part of the long-term solution. I think the Founding Fathers had that in mind from the very beginning. Government by the people doesn't work if the people can't think. 

Let me know if you come up with something or if you come across anything worth reading or listening to. 

It’s not clear to me what should be done either.

I am not only of the opinion that banning Trump from social media over this was a necessary step given what he did and could do in the coming days (good riddance – booting him isn’t a 1A issue), but also disturbed by the awesome power of big tech…of having a handful of billionaires in charge of who has a microphone and who does not without democratic accountability.

But the debate about banning Trump (and access for prominent people in general) shouldn’t be a distraction from the much bigger problem of how Social Media algorithmicly radicalized that mob.    The business model for Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and other dominant platforms depends on keeping users engaged.  Content that generates hot emotion is particularly engaging, so now we have algorithms that amplify hate speech, disinformation, and conspiracy theories (“Our algorithms exploit the human brain’s attraction to divisiveness”)…

According to a report in the WSJ, Facebook’s own research found that more than 60% of the users who joined extremist groups on the platform did so because Facebook’s algorithm recommended the group. One way to think about this is if 3M people belong to QAnon groups on FB, ~2M of them joined because an algorithm recommended they go there.  Elimination or regulation of those algorithms may provide an opportunity to reduce the harm from hate speech, disinformation, and conspiracy theories without limitation on free speech.

On the flip side, I very much agree with your point about education being a part of the long term solution.  But IMO to help with the issues above, it would include more than just civics.  “It takes a tremendous amount of work to educate citizens to resist the powerful pull of believing what they already believe, or what others around them believe, or what would make sense of their own previous choices.

I lifted that quote from this article which I found to be a quite provocative.  It’s either a long form read or listen.  It doesn’t actually address 1A issues, but it is 1A adjacent, putting this moment of history into the wider context that we’ve been discussing across multiple threads.  

(Note:  This is a discussion about free speech rights, and I have some inexpert thoughts that I find ideologically uncomfortable, so I am trying to understand better.  Expression of an idea here does not necessarily imply endorsement of that idea)

18 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

What kind of ‘censorship stasi’ country is it when private individuals running a private company can decide not to associate with or provide a platform to a dangerous autocrat who incites armed insurrection to overturn the results of our democratic elections?

Again, people like Bormio are profoundly stupid.

18 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Note:  This is a discussion about free speech rights, and I have some inexpert thoughts that I find ideologically uncomfortable, so I am trying to understand better.  Expression of an idea here does not necessarily imply endorsement of that idea)

Note 📝 +100...

A great point, and one  easily lost on the crowd here 👍

just sayin’ 

I have another question about this for the board. 

Are we seeing a double standard on these platforms? This seems to be a point of contention to me as I read arguments, not necessarily on here but wherever... "need a safe space for conservative language." A place for conservatives to hang out. 

So in my mind, I'm conflating this "conservative language" with hate speech and other language that violated some community standards somewhere. Would I be correct in that, or is it that "progressive language" is also harboring hate speech and other language that is violating some community standards? 

Is it that conservative speech just is outside of the guidelines of most sites and progressive speech is not? 

59 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I have another question about this for the board. 

Are we seeing a double standard on these platforms? This seems to be a point of contention to me as I read arguments, not necessarily on here but wherever... "need a safe space for conservative language." A place for conservatives to hang out. 

So in my mind, I'm conflating this "conservative language" with hate speech and other language that violated some community standards somewhere. Would I be correct in that, or is it that "progressive language" is also harboring hate speech and other language that is violating some community standards? 

Is it that conservative speech just is outside of the guidelines of most sites and progressive speech is not? 

Well, if you agree with it.. it's not. If you disagree well... yes it is.

Sure seems to be the norm... no middle ground. Full blown outrage and attempt to derail from the core message.

I consider myself centrist with some strong social justice views, that puts me in the racist, radical libtard camp according to some here with conservative views.

All I can say to that is .... thank you. Really, I'm extremely comfortable with my stance, I entertain and consider all... some of it I'm dismissive and shit-can expeditiously.

bgw

5 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well, if you agree with it.. it's not. If you disagree well... yes it is.

Sure seems to be the norm... no middle ground. Full blown outrage and attempt to derail from the core message.

I consider myself centrist with some strong social justice views, that puts me in the racist, radical libtard camp according to some here with conservative views.

All I can say to that is .... thank you. Really, I'm extremely comfortable with my stance, I entertain and consider all... some of it I'm dismissive and shit-can expeditiously.

bgw

I get that, but I was more along the lines of why do conservatives feel like they need a safe place to operate in? Most people are fairly well able to operate inside the guidelines and societal norms of twitter. Why are conservatives having so much trouble operating inside those guideline to the point that they feel the need to go elsewhere? 

I was asking a circular question meant for the ones arguing that point to stop and take a look at it. Obviously they want to be able to say "I'm gonna kill you you liberal fuck." "I'm gonna kill Nancy Pelosi." Etc. 

These are the types of things that are getting removed. So then they try to be slick with it and insinuate it instead of direct threats or the like, and that gets peer reviewed and reported. 

These are the types of things they are fussing about being censored. They want to be able to say those things without any repercussions in an internet community, and often from an anonymous profile. 

I tend to think its a them problem more than an us problem. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:03 AM, Rufus69 said:

There are different levels of censorship.  If I compare this board to the GAVSV....it is night and day.  If I say "fuck" on this board...there is not much repercussion.  If I say "fuck" on the GAVSV...it morphs into...****.  

People cite "free speech" but they seem to forget...their rights end where my rights begin.  I never had much of a problem with what GSB posted.  Mainly cause I always figured...a "looney" is a "looney".   I do realize there are other "loonies" on the board that feed off his bullshit...but so be it.  They don't fuck with me.  I don't fuck with them.

Except Lowndes people.  Absolutely no reason for any of them "losers" to be on MY board.  What's up with that?  I blame HawgGoneIt !!!!  Hell...I may build my own platform....

Rufus>>

Censorship?  When one gets called a BEANER multiple times on the Varsity side and nothing is done.  Trust me there is no censorship on this site what so ever.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I get that, but I was more along the lines of why do conservatives feel like they need a safe place to operate in?

Why do you feel the need to make 💩up in your own mind and then try to project it on others 🤥

4 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I tend to think its a them problem more than an us problem. 

And I tend to think that since the 💩 projection came straight from your own mind then.,....🤓

🍿

46 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Why do you feel the need to make 💩up in your own mind and then try to project it on others 🤥

And I tend to think that since the 💩 projection came straight from your own mind then.,....🤓

🍿

What kind of garbage are you talking about now? As a matter of fact... never mind. I'd rather you just miss me with your trash. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Censorship?  When one gets called a BEANER multiple times on the Varsity side and nothing is done.  Trust me there is no censorship on this site what so ever.

Quit crying you racist pussy! 😂 if your go to church Ask you priest for forgiveness. Try and break free from the mental prison. Oh, and quit being a racist pile of garbage. You do all that, and you’ll be fine 

pedazo de mierda racista
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Obviously they want to be able to say "I'm gonna kill you you liberal fuck." "I'm gonna kill Nancy Pelosi." Etc. 

These are the types of things that are getting removed. So then they try to be slick with it and insinuate it instead of direct threats or the like, and that gets peer reviewed and reported. 

These are the types of things they are fussing about being censored. They want to be able to say those things without any repercussions in an internet community, and often from an anonymous profile. 

That's not it at all. Threatening to kill someone should definitely be censored. But that's not what we're talking about.

Take the video of the suitcases of ballots being brought out of their hiding place and counted, even though everyone was told to go home because they were done counting for the night. 

I think there was fraud going on there; you probably don't. I can't prove there was; You can't prove there wasn't. But you can express your view on twitter. I can't. That's bullshit.

3 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

That's not it at all. Threatening to kill someone should definitely be censored. But that's not what we're talking about.

Take the video of the suitcases of ballots being brought out of their hiding place and counted, even though everyone was told to go home because they were done counting for the night. 

I think there was fraud going on there; you probably don't. I can't prove there was; You can't prove there wasn't. But you can express your view on twitter. I can't. That's bullshit.

Elections officials explain why it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary

You believe it was fraud because you saw 4 seconds of tape and believed everything Trump told you. 

All you do is snort newsmax and OANN which have no interest in truth or fairness. 

That news article is from the Augusta Chronicle and quotes numerous election officials explaining what you saw. 

11 minutes ago, DownSouth said:

Elections officials explain why it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary

You believe it was fraud because you saw 4 seconds of tape and believed everything Trump told you. 

All you do is snort newsmax and OANN which have no interest in truth or fairness. 

That news article is from the Augusta Chronicle and quotes numerous election officials explaining what you saw. 

Pathetically laughable.

1.  I read your link. Asking that blithering idiot Raffensperger if it was fraud is like asking people on death row if they are guilty. On top of that, I'm not even sure he's talking about the same video. He talks about "a secret suitcase of magic ballots." The video I saw showed four suitcases pulled out from their hiding place under that table...not one.

2. The video I saw was over 90 seconds long, and I came to my own conclusions about what I saw, without any help from Trump. 

3.  All you do is snort CNN and MSNBC which have no interest in truth or fairness.

4.  Like I said...I wouldn't believe Georgia election officials any more than I'd believe death row inmates about their claims of innocence.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Slotback Right said:

Pathetically laughable.

1.  I read your link. Asking that blithering idiot Raffensperger if it was fraud is like asking people on death row if they are guilty. On top of that, I'm not even sure he's talking about the same video. He talks about "a secret suitcase of magic ballots." The video I saw showed four suitcases pulled out from their hiding place under that table...not one.

2. The video I saw was over 90 seconds long, and I came to my own conclusions about what I saw, without any help from Trump. 

3.  All you do is snort CNN and MSNBC which have no interest in truth or fairness.

4.  Like I said...I wouldn't believe Georgia election officials any more than I'd believe death row inmates about their claims of innocence.

didn't bother reading that because you don't need to read past the silly headline...

They never even say there was no fraud....

can't even claim it in the headline .

Instead it's...."it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary " 🧐

go figure...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What kind of garbage are you talking about now?

making  💩 up and projection...

17 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

why do conservatives feel like they need a safe place to operate in?

Obviously they want to be able to say "I'm gonna kill you you liberal fuck." "I'm gonna kill Nancy Pelosi." Etc. 

They want to be able to say those things without any repercussions

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

"need a safe space for conservative language." A place for conservatives to hang out. 

19 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm conflating this "conservative language" with hate speech

could go on and on....

but that would be useless on a moderator who moderates everyone but himself

go figure...

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Troll said:

could go on and on....

but that would be useless on a moderator who moderates everyone but himself

go figure...

Didn't I ask you to miss me with your trash? I meant it. I don't tag your dumb ass profiles, you don't tag mine. Its not difficult. Squirelly ass clown operating multiple profiles and can't remember which one you buried the nut on. 

Trashy. Been trash for since I banned you with your nbombs that somehow you get a pass for with this crowd back here. Fuck off. Thanks. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

I go on twitter and see a lot of conservative speech every day.

I've even seen people talking about that you are crying about, but it comes with a warning, because its been pretty well proven to be misinformation as per the folks that actually have the job of checking on that. You know, the guy that otherwise did everything he could to cost democrats the election? Purging voter rolls. Cutting number of polls and drop off points. Etc.

Pretty sure you are having difficulty understanding what can be proven and what can't. What is misinformation and what isn't and what the guidelines for that are on twitter. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Didn't I ask you to miss me with your trash? 

tossing stones and running.....now crying too ?

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I meant it.

tough shit 💩

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I don't tag your dumb ass profiles, you don't tag mine. Its not difficult.

don't post stupid made up projections, and you might find you won't have your issues...  👍

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Its not difficult. Squirelly ass clown operating multiple profiles and can't remember which one you buried the nut on. 

funny how you never saw any poster you claim to be me post from similar IP's now isn't it....

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Trashy. Been trash for since I banned you with your nbombs that somehow you get a pass for with this crowd back here. Fuck off. Thanks. 

Perhaps it is time you were CONSISTENT and banned yourself for your own N-bombs....

Talk about trashy 🤣

BTW What makes you think you have the first clue about what a conservative thinks?

5 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've even seen people talking about that you are crying about...

Oh ok...tik tok and twitter told you so.....😝

talk about stupid 🙄

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've even seen people talking about that you are crying about, but it comes with a warning, because its been pretty well proven to be misinformation as per the folks that actually have the job of checking on that. You know, the guy that otherwise did everything he could to cost democrats the election? Purging voter rolls. Cutting number of polls and drop off points. Etc.

Pretty sure you are having difficulty understanding what can be proven and what can't. What is misinformation and what isn't and what the guidelines for that are on twitter. 

Bahahaha... all the way down to antifa!

Damn, just damn. 

bgw

44 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Bahahaha... all the way down to antifa!

Damn, just damn. 

bgw

Its funny because its so damned true. 

You know where I live. Can you believe that one clown said I don't know what conservative speech is? Hahaha. I live and function well in one of the most conservative counties in Georgia for a vast majority of my life and conspiracy theory traitor types gonna try to talk to me like I'm a dumb ass. 

xD

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Can you believe that one clown said I don't know what conservative speech is? Hahaha.

...I'm a dumb ass. 

xD

So you are going to try to convince people that you know better than themselves what they really think 🤓

that should work out well 

🍿

Ps. Most people probably think only a dumbo 🐘 ass would make such a claim 🤣

• Like 1