Targeting is Pure crap.

HooverOutlaw

It was clear targeting, no question.  The rule has been in place for a couple of years now.  I think they have actually eased up a touch on calling it than when it first came into play.  If you don't want to get tossed, don't make the play that way.  Just like everyone knows not to be throwing a fist if you don't want to get thrown out.

• Like 1

There are times when the defender is going in for a legal tackle and the ball carrier turns or creates an impossible situation for the defender. 

The ejection during Clemson vs. Ohio State comes to mind as one where I thought it to be a little difficult for the defender in that situation. 

I like the fact we're trying to protect defenseless players, and stop intentional spearing and etc., but, I do think the targeting penalty has changed the game and not necessarily for the better always. Not sure I'd go so far as to call it garbage, but, I do like the thought process of maybe creating levels of it. Especially after reviewing replays and seeing things we see sometimes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Well, I agree with most everything here but a announcer said it best, “if you drop your head and can’t see what you’re hitting, it’s targeting”.

Pretty simple and straightforward. 

bgw

These defenders sometimes turn their heads sideways instead of looking up and hitting their face mask against a guys chest or knee or whatever. I don't blame them for not wanting a knee in the facemask. However, turning their head to the side creates situations when the ball carrier tries to turn or spin at the same time giving the effect of an intentional leading with the crown of the helmet when it looks like it isn't intentional at all. 

Its pretty tough. I can see the argument both ways. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

These defenders sometimes turn their heads sideways instead of looking up and hitting their face mask against a guys chest or knee or whatever. I don't blame them for not wanting a knee in the facemask. However, turning their head to the side creates situations when the ball carrier tries to turn or spin at the same time giving the effect of an intentional leading with the crown of the helmet when it looks like it isn't intentional at all. 

Its pretty tough. I can see the argument both ways. 

Not only that, retraining these players to tackle under these rules in a short space of time is damn near impossible. 

bgw

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I have always felt they should change targeting to be In stages where one stage is 15 yard foul and no ejection and a second stage that is 15 yards and ejection

That would be a good thing to add, though it would only lead to everyone bitching about the ref’s discretion on whichever way the call goes.

That call tonight looked like a tackle I made back in high school at least 4-5 times that was never an issue, so for me it’s tough to see that as warranting an ejection...but by the rule, it was targeting.

The Clemson LB that got ejected for hitting Fields I thought was ridiculous though, not much you can do when a guy spins into your heady when you otherwise would have made first contact with the shoulder.

Targeting I and II would be something to look into.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DownSouth said:

That would be a good thing to add, though it would only lead to everyone bitching about the ref’s discretion on whichever way the call goes.

That call tonight looked like a tackle I made back in high school at least 4-5 times that was never an issue, so for me it’s tough to see that as warranting an ejection...but by the rule, it was targeting.

The Clemson LB that got ejected for hitting Fields I thought was ridiculous though, not much you can do when a guy spins into your heady when you otherwise would have made first contact with the shoulder.

Targeting I and II would be something to look into.

Yea this.  Seems like good hustle plays with no ill intent are constantly called targeting. 

5 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I don't know if you played or not, but it takes thousands of repetition to change a movement.

Especially shooting a basketball, there's always that "slippage" factor that will allow the movement to return.

bgw

Lowering your head on a tackle is not the same thing as shooting baskets.  I get that in basketball, golf, or pitching where there are tens or hundreds of repetitive motions involving muscle memory but lowering a head once or twice a game is not the same and more easily changed ... or should be if you are thinking about what you are doing.

19 minutes ago, Fred said:

Lowering your head on a tackle is not the same thing as shooting baskets.  I get that in basketball, golf, or pitching where there are tens or hundreds of repetitive motions involving muscle memory but lowering a head once or twice a game is not the same and more easily changed ... or should be if you are thinking about what you are doing.

Are you sure you wanna go this  route, doesn't really matter whether it small, large muscle groups or behavior for that matter it's not something that can be corrected in a short while then you add the glare of the spotlight, pressure and intrinsic/instinctual drive to that mix.

There's no time to think about these things on the field, and if was so easily eliminated per your logic why would a player knowingly put themselves out on the biggest stage in the case of Skalski in his senior season... Skalski didn't go into the game thinking that.

There's argument that Field's turned... I get that but led with the crown... that is the rule.

So, it's gonna take a little time to correct.

bgw

• Like 2

Justin Fields turning, twisting or doing the Funky Chicken was entirely irrelevant.

Skalski clearly lowered his head and led straight on with the crown of his helmet.  This wasn't 6'6" Trevor Lawrence lowering his head and leaning into 6'1" Shaun Wade. It was a cheap and dangerous shot. He did a similar thing in last year's natty game. He wasn't leading with a shoulder in any imaginable way.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/clip?id=30635271

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Player should not be tossed.

Well it should at least be consistent.   Seems it’s only called when the player is/acts hurt.    For example last night Najee was catching a short pass and got crushed by the linebacker (w/ more helmet contact than Battle’s hit), but since Najee, freak that he is, shrugged it off...no targeting.   That’s so BS.   Soon players are going to start flopping to get that call.  

41 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

I would agree but if you don't eject the player they will just do it again. You'll end up with dirty players purposely trying to knock on their opponents.

And when his teammates pat him on the back,say,"great hit or good job", they should be tossed too..I love hard nosed, but with players size and speed today,those helmets are very dangerous when aimed at face and neck or side of head..

19 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Yea this.  Seems like good hustle plays with no ill intent are constantly called targeting. 

If done correctly they could break it down in a similar manner to running into the kicker and roughing the kicker.

Maybe targeting I would still be an unsportsmanlike warning but not an ejection while targeting II would be for blatant cases.

I agree with ya, as it is some nice football plays have meant a kid gets tossed in the 1st quarter like Skalski got...I’m absolutely in favor of protecting kids, but the rule needs better clarification.

• Like 3