All time Best 3 Year Run - Finalists

4 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cocoa isn't going to be in top tiers, but they did make noise against some very well known programs that were having good seasons.

"Well known" programs is just code for teams that weren't that good when they played them.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is going to be long and self serving, hopefully somewhat relevant. I am old (74).  But for 35 or more years I went out of my way in a career of very heavy travel around the U. S. to see the

04-06 Lakeland FL   They went 45-0, won 3 straight state championships, and won a piece of 2 national championships.  one OOS game played. Beat St X in Ohio 25-22. X finished 3rd in Ohio

DLS has lost more kids transferring out than they have gained and I can't think of any kids that came in and played a significant amount of time or had major impact post streak.  Maybe there was a sma

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

We are debating tier one teams. Cocoa isn't going to be in top tiers, but they did make noise against some very well known programs that were having good seasons. They traveled to a lot of their best OOS wins. We are talking about schools that went above normal. Wilks was voted coach of the year twice. That should say something.

IMHO, just to make the list the teams should have won state all 3 years.

We will be debating Tier 2 and 3 after Tier 1 is finalized.

9 hours ago, Mag44 said:

Your a good poster...Did you ever see those DBP teams play in person on TV?? I saw them play about 8 times ....Four times in person and your assumption about speed in just that, an assumption.....

I watched DBP vs Paramas live when Peppers was the shnizt... Very cold but an awesome game. Love the intensity of both teams. From the 3rd row in the stands it felt like I was sitting on the sidelines. No wonder Bosco fans love their teams.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Well your criterion is stupid.

Again, it rewards teams from shitty classes (Cocoa) or shitty states (Nevada).

I'm not going to debate you. You like stepping out of bounds and then back in and calling it legit. Cocoa had 30 to 35 players in that run... how many of the teams being mentioned can say the same. 3 years is a long life for a small school to live in the top 100 list and make it to 12th (USA Today) nationally one of those years. I know hey are not top 1 or 2 or even 3, but they did have a great 3 year run and no knucklehead can take that away from them. Not even you Mr. Smellycracker.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mag44 said:

Your a good poster...Did you ever see those DBP teams play in person on TV?? I saw them play about 8 times ....Four times in person and your assumption about speed in just that, an assumption.....

I've watched them play maybe half a dozen times, all on TV/stream.

20 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:
Team Year Record Nat Rank Best Ever Top 25 OOD/OOS 
Allen 2012-'14 47-1 #4, #1, #1/2 2013  
Bishop Gorman 2014-16 45-0 #1/2,#1,#1 2014, 2016 SJB, STA, Cen10, Chill, Kahuku, Cocoa
DLS 2001-03 37-0 #1: #1: #1 2001 ECA, St. Louis, Poly, MD
Don Bosco 2009-11 36-0 #1; #2: #1 2009; 2011 DLS, MV, Prattville
Lakeland 2004-06 43-1 #18, #1, #1/2 2005; 2006 05 St. X
Mater Dei 2017-19 42-2 #1: #1: #2 2017 '18 IMG, '19 SFA, '19SJC,'17, '18 DLS
Moeller 1975-77 36-0 #1; #1; #1 1976  
SLC 2004-06 48-0 #1;#2; #1/2 2005; 2006  
STA 2008-10 43-1 #1: ?: #1 2008; 2010 2010 Elder
St. Ignatius 1993-95 41-1 #1; #22; #1/2 1993; 1995  

In a previous post, you had it right with Lakeland at 45-0. But now we see the 43-1 error back. Not sure if that was corrected to get the 11 points or not.

This is going to be long and self serving, hopefully somewhat relevant.

I am old (74).  But for 35 or more years I went out of my way in a career of very heavy travel around the U. S. to see the best high school football I could find-anywhere.

This included absurd lengthy drives:  Amarillo to Odessa to see MoJo in the late ‘80’s (played Midland Lee and won the state championship that year), Atlanta to Valdosta (bought a “scalped ticket” to see Valdosta beat Clarke Central in the late ‘80’s also-#1 in USA Today), stood on the sidelines and saw Ronald Curry’s Hampton win by 50 over ? (my friend was a close friend of Mike Smith who also claimed DeMatha (who I support) wouldn’t play him, DC to Massillon to see Iggy best Massillon in ‘97 (year Canton McKinley won national), DC to Berwick to see Iggy beat Berwick (St. Ignatius was phenominal), Don Bosco at home against BC sometime in the mid 2000’s, DLS in the late ‘90’s at home, Southlake Carroll, Austin Westlake and Plano all at home when they were strong (90’s and early 2000’s), a half dozen PA state championships at Hershey and Altoona  (best team ever in PA that I saw was CB West in ‘98 in a playoff game against Parkland) and on and on.  I should also mention Rockhurst, Jefferson City, Chicago Mt. Carmel (should have received more attention on here), Louisville Trinity and maybe 50 or a 100 more.  I spent too many nights away from home.

I should also mention the frozen custard shack that is home to Manatee and the room dedicated to their football team.

Some teams were at their absolute best.  Several (Massillon, Valdosta, Permian) were experiences unlike any other.  At Mojo the couple sitting next to me told me that I was the first “Yankee” they had ever met....

I really have no idea who the absolute best may have been if they had played each other.  (Just remembered I saw Mater Dei in the ‘90’s when they were USA Today #1.)

But, FWIW, ‘80 Moeller was cut, chiseled and for all the world looked like a Division one college team.  I was told by someone who once played for Faust I had not seen Moeller’s best.  That was ‘76.

I stood five yards from where Ronald Curry of Hampton scored one of six touchdowns he passed or ran.  He is unquestionably the best hs football player I have ever seen anywhere.

Ronald Curry. (He’s in his 40’s today!!!) 

But I don’t know how he would have done against ‘80 Moeller or ‘76 Mo who had Bob Crable at middle LB. (Bob Crable is in his early 60’s!!)

Gerry Faust is in his mid ‘80’s....

I would have loved to see Valdosta play Massillon in a home and home in the ‘80’s.  Or the ‘40’s.

All of the above was in person.  Sorry but I believe it makes a difference when you hear the hit or see a crease on a forehead when the helmet is taken off. (Many reading this will relate...)

And, last, for a broadcast game that I did not see in person the most impressive victory of all was Don Bosco winning at Prattville, Alabama.

There aren’t a lot of NJ teams that could win in Alabama but Bosco did.

But I don’t know how that Bosco team would have done in Cincinnati in 1976....

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

But, FWIW, ‘80 Moeller was cut, chiseled and for all the world looked like a Division one college team.  I was told by someone who once played for Faust I had not seen Moeller’s best.  That was ‘76.

The mid-70s to mid-80s Moe teams were impressive.  As you have pointed out, they had years where they had more kids getting college scholies than they had starting positions.  Two All-Americans per year was typical.

I remember St X parents commenting how they shouldn't let Moeller play high school teams.  😄

Their d-line used to line up about half-a-yard farther back than normal. It was like a "Fuck you, we'll spot you some space and we'll STILL fuck you up.". And they did.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, concha said:

The mid-70s to mid-80s Moe teams were impressive.  As you have pointed out, they had years where they had more kids getting college scholies than they had starting positions.  Two All-Americans per year was typical.

I remember St X parents commenting how they shouldn't let Moeller play high school teams.  😄

Their d-line used to line up about half-a-yard farther back than normal. It was like a "Fuck you, we'll spot you some space and we'll STILL fuck you up.". And they did.

The Cincinnati archdiocese eventually put a limit on where kids could live and the school they would play for.  I was told that before this Faust had several houses in the Cincinnati area where kids from as far away as Indianapolis and Louisville could live in while attending Moeller.  Faust probably got most of the best athletes from a 150 mile radius of Cincinnati.  And this was when football was strong!

Of course I once read in USA Today that DLS pulled out of the entire Bay Area.  DeMatha’s starting national class qb this year is from Delaware.  Hampton had a Naval base nearby.  Iggy pulled from all of Cleveland, etc.

31 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

The Cincinnati archdiocese eventually put a limit on where kids could live and the school they would play for.  I was told that before this Faust had several houses in the Cincinnati area where kids from as far away as Indianapolis and Louisville could live in while attending Moeller.  Faust probably got most of the best athletes from a 150 mile radius of Cincinnati.  And this was when football was strong!

Of course I once read in USA Today that DLS pulled out of the entire Bay Area.  DeMatha’s starting national class qb this year is from Delaware.  Hampton had a Naval base nearby.  Iggy pulled from all of Cleveland, etc.

There were many rumors in Cincy about Moe at the time. Some were probably true, some I'd imagine not.  You are correct about the diocese putting limits on drawing area.  St. X and Iggy haven't had that limitation as they are not diocesan but rather run by the Jesuits.  You still typically find most of the kids on the rosters of the Cincy Big Catholics coming from Cincinnati parochial schools, and X has always had a highly competitive entrance exam.  Ohio hasn't had the extreme transfer culture you find in Florida, Jersey and amongst the likes of certain LA-area Catholics. Frankly, when a school is constantly bringing talent from other high schools, I just blow a fart at them when they talk about how good they think they are. Too often these days the top teams in the polls are just multi-school all-star teams.  When your varsity team has to wear name tags to their first few practices... 🤡 💩

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I watched DBP vs Paramas live when Peppers was the shnizt... Very cold but an awesome game. Love the intensity of both teams. From the 3rd row in the stands it felt like I was sitting on the sidelines. No wonder Bosco fans love their teams.

Oh yea cat, they get after it..The best one I saw at Bosco wasagainst MV...It was a brutal assault on MV.....Bosco put four MV out of the game and one may have to a hospital..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

I am old (74).  But for 35 or more years I went out of my way in a career of very heavy travel around the U. S. to see the best high school football I could find-anywhere.

This included absurd lengthy drives:  Amarillo to Odessa to see MoJo in the late ‘80’s (played Midland Lee and won the state championship that year), Atlanta to Valdosta (bought a “scalped ticket” to see Valdosta beat Clarke Central in the late ‘80’s also-#1 in USA Today), stood on the sidelines and saw Ronald Curry’s Hampton win by 50 over ? (my friend was a close friend of Mike Smith who also claimed DeMatha (who I support) wouldn’t play him, DC to Massillon to see Iggy best Massillon in ‘97 (year Canton McKinley won national), DC to Berwick to see Iggy beat Berwick (St. Ignatius was phenominal), Don Bosco at home against BC sometime in the mid 2000’s, DLS in the late ‘90’s at home, Southlake Carroll, Austin Westlake and Plano all at home when they were strong (90’s and early 2000’s), a half dozen PA state championships at Hershey and Altoona  (best team ever in PA that I saw was CB West in ‘98 in a playoff game against Parkland) and on and on.  I should also mention Rockhurst, Jefferson City, Chicago Mt. Carmel (should have received more attention on here), Louisville Trinity and maybe 50 or a 100 more.  I spent too many nights away from home.

I should also mention the frozen custard shack that is home to Manatee and the room dedicated to their football team.

Some teams were at their absolute best.  Several (Massillon, Valdosta, Permian) were experiences unlike any other.  At Mojo the couple sitting next to me told me that I was the first “Yankee” they had ever met....

I really have no idea who the absolute best may have been if they had played each other.  (Just remembered I saw Mater Dei in the ‘90’s when they were USA Today #1.)

I stood five yards from where Ronald Curry of Hampton scored one of six touchdowns he passed or ran.  He is unquestionably the best hs football player I have ever seen anywhere.

But I don’t know how he would have done against ‘80 Moeller or ‘76 Mo who had Bob Crable at middle LB. (Bob Crable is in his early 60’s!!)

I would have loved to see Valdosta play Massillon in a home and home in the ‘80’s.  Or the ‘40’s.

All of the above was in person.  Sorry but I believe it makes a difference when you hear the hit or see a crease on a forehead when the helmet is taken off. (Many reading this will relate...)

And, last, for a broadcast game that I did not see in person the most impressive victory of all was Don Bosco winning at Prattville, Alabama.

Little younger than me...Your good...💪💪🙀🙀🙀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, concha said:

There were many rumors in Cincy about Moe at the time. Some were probably true, some I'd imagine not.  You are correct about the diocese putting limits on drawing area.  St. X and Iggy haven't had that limitation as they are not diocesan but rather run by the Jesuits.  You still typically find most of the kids on the rosters of the Cincy Big Catholics coming from Cincinnati parochial schools, and X has always had a highly competitive entrance exam.  Ohio hasn't had the extreme transfer culture you find in Florida, Jersey and amongst the likes of certain LA-area Catholics. Frankly, when a school is constantly bringing talent from other high schools, I just blow a fart at them when they talk about how good they think they are. Too often these days the top teams in the polls are just multi-school all-star teams.  When your varsity team has to wear name tags to their first few practices... 🤡 💩

Post of the year material here 

Ohio parochial schools don’t allow transfers after Soph year and save $ on name tags. 😀

3 hours ago, BigDrop said:

That Prattville game I saw on big  screen TV in Calf....At that  time I said, "Best game I saw them play"...Prattville was outstanding and did not give up...Sam Gibson, Prattville QB said, "best team we have ever played".....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, badrouter said:

In a previous post, you had it right with Lakeland at 45-0. But now we see the 43-1 error back. Not sure if that was corrected to get the 11 points or not.

It’s 45-0. That’s how their points dropped from 12-11 

refer to the attached spreadsheet 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

DLS has lost more kids transferring out than they have gained and I can't think of any kids that came in and played a significant amount of time or had major impact post streak.  Maybe there was a small handful during the streak.  If there were it was a small number, 5 or 6?  They don't really draw from the entire bay area.  If I remember right the students come from Contra Costa County mainly, at about 90%.  Alameda and Solano counties are about 7% and 3%.  DLS doesn't even necessarily get the best players in the East Bay. 

What makes DLS such a unique program is that they don't usually have the better player but they are so well coached that they can compete against the MD and SJB all stars.  They may never win a state title again if things remain the same, lol, but IMO, it is a better brand of high school football.  If they were to get the best players in NorCal they would go back to winning most of the state titles again.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is a very good thread but I must confess that I totally disagree with MaxPreps attempt at doing this.  I physically saw three of their top 25-possibly four if I looked back at a calendar from the ‘90’s-and would have them in different order.

They also have ‘76 Moeller at #11 and that is a true joke.  I seriously doubt they know anyone who saw Moeller play 45 years ago.

I also feel ‘98 Central Bucks West should be in there somewhere.

I also have been told that I have too many opinions....

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

This is a very good thread but I must confess that I totally disagree with MaxPreps attempt at doing this.  I physically saw three of their top 25-possibly four if I looked back at a calendar from the ‘90’s-and would have them in different order.

They also have ‘76 Moeller at #11 and that is a true joke.  I seriously doubt they know anyone who saw Moeller play 45 years ago.

No other organization is taking the time and diligence we are, and using quantifiable metrics rather than ignorance or regional/readership bias to sort this out.

• Like 1

The Latest...........95% in.  If you have a problem with any of the info, or metrics, speak now!

Tier 1

Mater Dei 2017-'19                        5 points

Don Bosco  2009-'11                     6 points

Southlake Carroll  2004-'06         7 points

Bishop Gorman  2014-'16             7 points

Lakeland 2004-06                       10 points

St. Thomas Aquinas 2008-'10    10 points

Moeller  1980-'82                        10 points

Tier 2

Allen 2012-'14                             11 points

St. Ignatius  1993-'95                 11 points

De La Salle   1999-'01                 12 points

HS football 4-24-21 Top Runs.xlsx

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/Azw2wLqjd06HbSEJ3t6bSw/top-50-greatest-high-school-football-teams-of-all-time.htm

This has '76 Moeller at #4 all-time, their '80 team at #6 and their '82 team at #17.

St. Ignatius landed teams at #15 ('93), #43 (1995) and #46 (1989). 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Cocoa had 30 to 35 players in that run... how many of the teams being mentioned can say the same.

Yeah, Cocoa was respected because they were the little engine that could. Nobody of any sentience actually thought they were elite or even close.

13 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I know hey are not top 1 or 2 or even 3, but they did have a great 3 year run and no knucklehead can take that away from them.

I never said they didn't have a "great" run. I'm just someone who puts things into context.