Servite looking for Week 3 opponent - Will travel to Nor cal among other areas

Sammyswordsman

8 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Take your time reading it.  (Includes Big words; such as MD held to -13 yards rushing).

PREP FOOTBALL : Angelus League : St. Paul Gives Mater Dei History Lesson

By SCOTT WOLF
Oct. 26, 1986 12 AM PT
Times Staff Writer

St. Paul High School Coach Rick Ready decided that his team needed an emotional lift before Saturday’s Angelus League game against Mater Dei.

Ready had his players wear old, tattered jerseys and returned a sword decal to the St. Paul helmets, emulating the look of the 1981 Swordsmen, the last St. Paul team to beat Mater Dei.

The ploy seemed to work as Jayson Pantages returned the opening kickoff 86 yards for a touchdown and the Swordsmen never looked back, defeating Mater Dei, 27-6, in Santa Ana Stadium.

“I didn’t know much about tradition,” said Ready, a second-year coach. “I wanted to do this for our league games and it got the kids excited.

“There’s three games (Mater Dei, Servite and Bishop Amat) we want to win this year that we didn’t last season. And this was the first.”

Mater Dei (1-1, 4-3) was held to minus 13 yards rushing, with leading rusher Matt Spence gaining only nine yards in four carries.

And the Monarchs appeared confused by St. Paul’s combination of quick passes and trap plays.

St. Paul (2-0, 4-3) held the ball for more than 10 minutes in the second quarter and allowed Mater Dei only three possessions in the first half.

The Swordsmen increased the first-quarter lead to 14-0 as quarterback Jeff Willis scored on a one-yard run. Willis ran for a two-point conversion.

With nine seconds remaining in the half, Willis’ 10-yard pass to Mondo Costello made it 21-0.

The Monarchs finally scored with 6:16 left in the third quarter on a five-yard run by Spence. Willis ended the scoring with a three-yard run.

“We were overmatched early in the season,” Ready said. “But all along we’ve wanted to save ourselves for league.”

ST. PAUL 27, MATER DEI 6 SP--Pantages 86 kick return (kick failed)

SP--Willis 1 run (Willis run)

SP--Costello 10 pass from Willis (Granda kick)

MD--Spence 5 run (kick failed)

SP--Willis 3 run (kick failed)

Attendance--3,000

I will again congratulate you on your win 35 years ago! MD is still winning the series by 4 games. 

The most recent game 👇 Goodnight my child. Hopefully it won’t be another 35 years till the next victory. 

CIF football titles by school: 
Mater Dei - 12 

fraud paul - 4 

DC88782A-4490-42E4-9178-C71B0B7ABE72.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slotback Right said:

I was just about to mention that. Ancich was a way better coach than Rollo will ever be. He won consistently with only the tough Hispanic kids that showed up on their own to play for him. No poaching other teams' established stars. I hated them, but I also respected them. Mater Dei...not so much.

We don’t respect the losers from servite either, but, at least you had the stones to play the game. 🐱 Samantha watched from the stands. Sad. Very on brand though. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

We don’t respect the losers that attended Servite like yourself, but, at least you had the stones to play the game. 🐱 Samantha watched from the stands. Sad. Very on brand though. 

I'm not sure he actually said that. I read it to mean that he wasn't playing there during the 14-0-1 streak.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

We don’t respect the losers that attended servite like yourself, but, at least you had the stones to play the game. 🐱 Samantha watched from the stands. Sad. Very on brand though. 

LOL.  St. Paul won the #6 Top High School game of all time.  MD was on the list too.  Somewhere waaaaaaay down....but they LOST the game.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/exM4DCFalES_RcFdCktybg/top-50-high-school-football-games-of-all-time.htm

5. IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) 50, Centennial (Corona, Calif.) 49, 2016
IMG Academy was ranked No. 2 in the country entering the game, but Centennial held a 49-42 lead with under a minute to play in the game. Kellen Mond threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Brian Hightower with 21 seconds remaining and Hightower then completed a two-point conversion pass to Asa Martin to give IMG Academy the win. Mond threw for 411 yards and four touchdowns and also ran for 101 yards and a score. For the Huskies, Tanner McKee threw for 374 yards and three touchdowns while Miles Reed ran for 179 yards and three touchdowns.

6. St. Paul (Santa Fe Springs, Calif.) 42, Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.) 35, 1981
Both St. Paul and Bishop Amat entered the Angelus League final game with 9-0 records and it took four overtimes to determine St. Paul as the winner. Alex Espinoza threw for Xavier Espino for the winning touchdown in the fourth overtime. Bishop Amat had a chance to tie, but Jose Pina intercepted a pass on the Lancers' possession to end the game.

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

LOL.  St. Paul won the #6 Top High School game of all time.  MD was on the list too.  Somewhere waaaaaaay down....but they LOST the game.

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/exM4DCFalES_RcFdCktybg/top-50-high-school-football-games-of-all-time.htm

5. IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) 50, Centennial (Corona, Calif.) 49, 2016
IMG Academy was ranked No. 2 in the country entering the game, but Centennial held a 49-42 lead with under a minute to play in the game. Kellen Mond threw a 39-yard touchdown pass to Brian Hightower with 21 seconds remaining and Hightower then completed a two-point conversion pass to Asa Martin to give IMG Academy the win. Mond threw for 411 yards and four touchdowns and also ran for 101 yards and a score. For the Huskies, Tanner McKee threw for 374 yards and three touchdowns while Miles Reed ran for 179 yards and three touchdowns.

6. St. Paul (Santa Fe Springs, Calif.) 42, Bishop Amat (La Puente, Calif.) 35, 1981
Both St. Paul and Bishop Amat entered the Angelus League final game with 9-0 records and it took four overtimes to determine St. Paul as the winner. Alex Espinoza threw for Xavier Espino for the winning touchdown in the fourth overtime. Bishop Amat had a chance to tie, but Jose Pina intercepted a pass on the Lancers' possession to end the game.

1981!!! Reaganomics!!! 

2 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Hell the Willigs, the last great SP players are all probably grandfathers by now. 

The Nostalgia is this Thread is Awesome!!!.... We have gone from Who will Servite play to How old is everyone to @Sammyswordsman Giving is a Nostalgic History lesson of ST.Paul’s Utter Domination of MD From 30+ Years Ago....🤣

Pretty soon this thread will have to be renamed “Who Does @HurricaneNick Hate More, Servite, St.Paul or @Sammyswordsman”....🤣🤣

We just need some Amat, Pius X and Loyola Dudes to jump in and post more Articles of MD getting their Asses Kicked on the 70’s and 80’s and really get the MD Dudes Fired up!!!!...🤣🤣🤣

I do agree with @HurricaneNick on Rollo vs MA as the Better Coach in so cal history.... Rollo is a step above the group of Harry Welch, Spongebob and MA... Maybe even throw Bill Riddell and the Loyola Dude in there as well.... Rollo is just better then those dudes, he has done it longer and built MD into a National Power... He has 4 MNC’s over a 30 year career in 2 Different ERA’s of HSFB. Enough Said....🍻

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

The Nostalgia is this Thread is Awesome!!!.... We have gone from Who will Servite play to How old is everyone to @Sammyswordsman Giving is a Nostalgic History lesson of ST.Paul’s Utter Domination of MD From 30+ Years Ago....🤣

Pretty soon this thread will have to be renamed “Who Does @HurricaneNick Hate More, Servite, St.Paul or @Sammyswordsman”....🤣🤣

We just need some Amat, Pius X and Loyola Dudes to jump in and post more Articles of MD getting their Asses Kicked on the 70’s and 80’s and really get the MD Dudes Fired up!!!!...🤣🤣🤣

I do agree with @HurricaneNick on Rollo vs MA as the Better Coach in so cal history.... Rollo is a step above the group of Harry Welch, Spongebob and MA... Maybe even throw Bill Riddell and the Loyola Dude in there as well.... Rollo is just better then those dudes, he has done it longer and built MD into a National Power... He has 4 MNC’s over a 30 year career in 2 Different ERA’s of HSFB. Enough Said....🍻

You will enjoy this read

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-05-20-sp-186-story.html

Gone but Not Forgotten.pdf

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

I don’t hate Sam or St. Paul!! I feel bad for them (; but this is all off season internet fun!! Now I do hate Servite. Hate em hate em hate em. That school should be torn down completely. Gospel brother. Rollo is the 🐐 to me. Spent everyday with him for 4 years and learned so much. Obviously, I carry that bias with me. And I refuse to believe Bob Lad is a real person. He does not exist in my world!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Here is a couple pictures from the Max Preps #6 Top Game of all time.  St. Paul 42 Bishop Amat 35.  Both teams were 9-0 and fighting for the League Championship and a Playoff Top Seed.  Fox Sports John Jackson was a ball boy for Amat during that game.

The 10k fans thought the game ended in a (14-14) tie after regulation. So they stormed the field. Helmeted cops had to clear the field back to the 50 yard line (Top pic) going across the field (and to the sidelines) so they could play out the 4 overtime in the South end zone. (Bottom pic).  Amat in white

St. Paul 20.jpg

St. Paul 21.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Awesome Article!!!... It’s crazy to think that MD and Servite were not even in the same League for awhile...

The only bad omen in that article is talking about Sevites being the Premier Team in So Cal with their Back to Back PAC 5 titles in 81 and 82.... It took Servite 28 years to Do that again.... So looks like Servite is still about 18 years away from being the Best team in So Cal again.... 🤣

Great read though, Brings Back a lot of great memories!!... 🍻

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Awesome Article!!!... It’s crazy to think that MD and Servite were not even in the same League for awhile...

The only bad omen in that article is talking about Sevites being the Premier Team in So Cal with their Back to Back PAC 5 titles in 81 and 82.... It took Servite 28 years to Do that again.... So looks like Servite is still about 18 years away from being the Best team in So Cal again.... 🤣

Great read though, Brings Back a lot of great memories!!... 🍻

That's the beauty of HS Athletics.  Every thing is cyclical. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Here is a couple pictures from the Max Preps #6 Top Game of all time.  St. Paul 42 Bishop Amat 35.  Both teams were 9-0 and fighting for the League Championship and a Playoff Top Seed.  Fox Sports John Jackson was a ball boy for Amat during that game.

The 10k fans thought the game ended in a (14-14) tie after regulation. So they stormed the field. Helmeted cops had to clear the field back to the 50 yard line (Top pic) going across the field (and to the sidelines) so they could play out the 4 overtime in the South end zone. (Bottom pic).  Amat in white

St. Paul 20.jpg

St. Paul 21.jpg

I have to admit.. those pictures are awesome.. Too bad we will never see a game like this with sideline to sideline fans, unless its played without TV or streaming and/or in a stadium like Amat or Jserra. Plus kids/students these days don't have the same passion for its school/football. Most schools don't have the number of kids who attend games as they did back then.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, covercorner said:

I have to admit.. those pictures are awesome.. Too bad we will never see a game like this with sideline to sideline fans, unless its played without TV or streaming and/or in a stadium like Amat or Jserra. Plus kids/students these days don't have the same passion for its school/football. Most schools don't have the number of kids who attend games as they did back then.  

After regulation both teams student body thought the game was over and rushed the field.   The refs had to push back the students enough to play the overtime.  So they cleared everyone to the sidelines and back to the 50 yard line where the fan line crossed the middle of the field.

There were 10k + so the stands were still almost completely full too.

At that time the possessions started at the 10 yard line going in.   Teams traded TD’s fir the first 3 overtime’s.  SP went first in the 4th overtime and got another TD.  Amat threw a pass on first or 2nd down and it was picked in the End zone making SP league champs at 10-0. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

So now you want to talk about winning programs.......Ancich won more games than Rollo.  Look it up Einstein.  You lose again.

The difference is no one outside of old farts in SoCal know who Ancich is.

• Haha 1