Rewind to when Delbarton...

imaGoodBoyNow

Declaring that no school can quit a conference when it does not like the schedule provided, the NJSIAA’s Leagues and Conferences Committee ruled Friday that Delbarton is a member of the North Jersey Super Football Conference.

The written decision came 10 days after a hearing at the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association headquarters in Robbinsville, where the Morris County school challenged its inclusion in the newly formed football-only league. It argued its educational philosophies do not match those of other non-public schools in the NJSFC.

Delbarton had created its own schedule independent of the conference, and without league-mandated opponents Don Bosco and St. Joseph – two North Jersey powerhouses it didn’t want to play.

Delbarton released a statement through a spokesperson shortly after the decision was announced.

“We are disappointed with the decision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association and are considering our next steps to ensure our students have an opportunity to test their skills and athleticism on a playing field that values healthy competition,” the statement read.

“In other words, its goal of not having to play all of the power programs has been realized,” read the decision signed by subcommittee chair Elaine McGrath, the South Brunswick athletic director.

The conclusion also pointed out that the school expressed a desire to play competition closer to its campus, yet the independent schedule it compiled included teams from Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Long Island and Brooklyn.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

@HurricaneNick thoughts 💭?

Fake news. We are the IMG of New Jersey. It would be unfair for us to play Joes and bosco. We are simply too good. Our independent schedule included 10 NFL teams. It’s sad the New Jersey state interscholastic athletic association didn’t want to see us chase greatness. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Fake news. We are the IMG of New Jersey. It would be unfair for us to play Joes and bosco. We are simply too good. Our independent schedule included 10 NFL teams. It’s sad the New Jersey state interscholastic athletic association didn’t want to see us chase greatness. 

Delby forfeited games against us in football because of  different school philosophies, but were good in baseball and lacrosse so it was fine to play and beat us in those sports, but when it came to football, There school virtues matter

im sorry I will never have respect for that school, , It’s the Servite of the east coast 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It’s the Servite of the east coast 

Way too far. Waaaaaaaay too far! There is only one cervix high school. No school can compare to their mediocrity and worthlessness. I would send my kid to a public school in Louisiana before sending them to third place high. Delby’s standards are just too high 🏆 If I ever move to Jerz my family will be 100% GREEN WAVE. 

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Declaring that no school can quit a conference when it does not like the schedule provided, the NJSIAA’s Leagues and Conferences Committee ruled Friday that Delbarton is a member of the North Jersey Super Football Conference.

The written decision came 10 days after a hearing at the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association headquarters in Robbinsville, where the Morris County school challenged its inclusion in the newly formed football-only league. It argued its educational philosophies do not match those of other non-public schools in the NJSFC.

Delbarton had created its own schedule independent of the conference, and without league-mandated opponents Don Bosco and St. Joseph – two North Jersey powerhouses it didn’t want to play.

Delbarton released a statement through a spokesperson shortly after the decision was announced.

“We are disappointed with the decision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association and are considering our next steps to ensure our students have an opportunity to test their skills and athleticism on a playing field that values healthy competition,” the statement read.

“In other words, its goal of not having to play all of the power programs has been realized,” read the decision signed by subcommittee chair Elaine McGrath, the South Brunswick athletic director.

The conclusion also pointed out that the school expressed a desire to play competition closer to its campus, yet the independent schedule it compiled included teams from Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Long Island and Brooklyn.

Long time listener, first time caller;

Check your gridironnewjersey.com, broski! We didn't forfeit the games -- we played them after disputing the ruling. We were actually leading SJR at the half in the first Super Conference year of 2016, if I remember correctly. 

Most folks in the football program are aware it was a bad look though. The staff was totally blindsided, read about the whole thing in the paper, it wasn't well communicated. The biggest thing for the admins was that the school was being forced into a non-pub conference and they were worried it would lead to public schools segregating the conferences in all other sports. The fear was that this could be the first domino in a bunch of other ramifications like more expensive travel schedule, privates being excluded from the NJSIAA, similar to how the situation is for privates in the MIAA and WCAC in Maryland and Virginia. If you remember, the school's headmaster even wrote a letter in 2015 to the NJ Commissioner of Education against a proposal that would have put all private football programs in the state in a single conference, which would have really benefited our program at the time. He did that because of the precedent it would set for segregating non-publics from publics in NJ high school athletics.

And again, it was terribly messaged, but I don't think it's all that controversial to suggest that Delbarton and SJR have different educational missions -- not that one or another is superior, but that there are different priorities. There was also a fear from some admins that what it would take to compete on a weekly basis in football would require a compromise in academics, or unsustainable amounts of financial aid, or a change in the culture of the school, violating NJSIAA rules, etc. I am happy to report those admins were wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DelbysAdvocate said:

Check your gridironnewjersey.com, broski! We didn't forfeit the games -- we played them after disputing the ruling. We were actually leading SJR at the half in the first Super Conference year of 2016, if I remember correctly. 

Most folks in the football program are aware it was a bad look though. The staff was totally blindsided, read about the whole thing in the paper, it wasn't well communicated. The biggest thing for the admins was that the school was being forced into a non-pub conference and they were worried it would lead to public schools segregating the conferences in all other sports. The fear was that this could be the first domino in a bunch of other ramifications like more expensive travel schedule, privates being excluded from the NJSIAA, similar to how the situation is for privates in the MIAA and WCAC in Maryland and Virginia. If you remember, the school's headmaster even wrote a letter in 2015 to the NJ Commissioner of Education against a proposal that would have put all private football programs in the state in a single conference, which would have really benefited our program at the time. He did that because of the precedent it would set for segregating non-publics from publics in NJ high school athletics.

And again, it was terribly messaged, but I don't think it's all that controversial to suggest that Delbarton and SJR have different educational missions -- not that one or another is superior, but that there are different priorities. There was also a fear from some admins that what it would take to compete on a weekly basis in football would require a compromise in academics, or unsustainable amounts of financial aid, or a change in the culture of the school, violating NJSIAA rules, etc. I am happy to report those admins were wrong.

Delby looked great vs DBP last season. Was very disappointed when the highly-anticpated game vs BC was called minutes before kick-off. Hope you and yours can continue your upward trajectory in football. Delby lax was 6-6 this season last I saw. Hockey has been ailing too. #parity

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Delby looked great vs DBP last season. Was very disappointed when the highly-anticpated game vs BC was called minutes before kick-off. Hope you and yours can continue your upward trajectory in football. Delby lax was 6-6 this season last I saw. Hockey has been ailing too. #parity

@SJR89 @SJR 04 I could have sworn, Delby forfeited one year  because they would have had to play at Joes in the first round 

6 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I think we only heard about Delby last few years is cause they had a really good quarterback, let’s see what they got this coming years, SHP might be better

1 hour ago, DelbysAdvocate said:

This is either @HurricaneNick or we struck gold at the end of the Rainbow 🌈 , and actually found a Delbarton fan out in the wild

13 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I think we only heard about Delby last few years is cause they had a really good quarterback, let’s see what they got this coming years, SHP might be better

WOW now THOSE are fighting words. Misremember forfeits all you want, but please know the Green Wave is 4-2 all time in Varsity Football against its archrival.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Thanks, man. The energy's good around the program. That cancellation was nuts (a parent received a positive test during warm-ups), but there's still pretty good momentum for the program going into next year. 

And yeah the pandemic has been a huge leveler across all sports. Our Lax and Baseball teams really seem to have suffered from the lack of a high school season last year, especially early on.

• Confused 1

Just now, DelbysAdvocate said:

Thanks, man. The energy's good around the program. That cancellation was nuts (a parent received a positive test during warm-ups), but there's still pretty good momentum for the program going into next year. 

And yeah the pandemic has been a huge leveler across all sports. Our Lax and Baseball teams really seem to have suffered from the lack of a high school season last year, especially early on.

My cousin's kid was an All-American soccer player there. Just graduated. Headed to Syracuse this Fall. My son played seven years for Coach Ruebling's Patriot Lacrosse summer club team. Loved our time there. 

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2021 at 10:38 PM, imaGoodBoyNow said:

I'm jist an ignorant pig farmer you understand, so humor me heah. WHY place every team in Jersey who is worth a shit, in the same conference? When they'll see the SAME teams in the fucking playoffs? Good thang you lads only charge five bucks to watch these abortions!

4 hours ago, Old Rabid One said:

I'm jist an ignorant pig farmer you understand, so humor me heah. WHY place every team in Jersey who is worth a shit, in the same conference? When they'll see the SAME teams in the fucking playoffs? Good thang you lads only charge five bucks to watch these abortions!

Because none of our relevant boys grow up wanting to attend their crappy, local, public high schools, all of which would lose by 28+ to our power privates. 

• 2 weeks later...