Larry and Atticus answer this?

HooverOutlaw

All you are doing is looking at a select few.  There are thousands of players that come out of College with a degree they might not have otherwise been able to afford or obtain (extra tutoring, etc).  They benefit immensely from the current setup.  I have to agree with Rufus - one or the other but not both simultaneously.  Expecting to do both is the perfect example of the entitled mentality.  Y'all often joke about Georgia Tech's reputation but those guys (and girls in other sports) come out of there with an extremely marketable degree.  It is crazy what Tech grads get paid and the competition for many of them that exists.  There are more than a few that would not otherwise be in that position.  Does Tech benefit from their services? Absolutely!  I would offer though that the athletes benefit more over the course of their working lives.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

😂 you always run away from the shit storm you cause with your stupidity. I am sincerely sad for you. You’re either the dumbest mother fucker on earth or the most naive. 

Neither are good, Bro.

You just can't see you are clueless on this matter. You got Atticus as you boy.  Nothing else. But of course being classless as you are . You basically call me a MF.  It was my mistake to expect anything less. You crossed a line with this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fred said:

All you are doing is looking at a select few.  There are thousands of players that come out of College with a degree they might not have otherwise been able to afford or obtain (extra tutoring, etc).  They benefit immensely from the current setup.  I have to agree with Rufus - one or the other but not both simultaneously.  Expecting to do both is the perfect example of the entitled mentality.  Y'all often joke about Georgia Tech's reputation but those guys (and girls in other sports) come out of there with an extremely marketable degree.  It is crazy what Tech grads get paid and the competition for many of them that exists.  There are more than a few that would not otherwise be in that position.  Does Tech benefit from their services? Absolutely!  I would offer though that the athletes benefit more over the course of their working lives.

Seems like colleges would want to help students who are from bad situations. Not right being a great player is there only way into college.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badrouter said:

Lost in this discussion are the benefits that attending and playing for the university give to the kids that they'd otherwise never have. Many would never be admitted to the university in the first place without the football scholarship. And, they'd never achieve the stardom they enjoy-and thus the opportunities to profit through likeness, autographs etc- without the program they play for being the big deal that it is. And, people are mistaken when they say things that amount to "Ohio State football would be nothing with Justin Fields", or "the reason people pay to watch Alabama is to see Devonta Smith play". Those are absolutely stupid ideas...which are believed by many, including, it appears, members of the Supreme Court. Devonta Smith became the big deal that he did because he was a star player on a team that was ALREADY a huge deal based on generations of fan support that were present before he was born, and will be present after he's dead (I say this knowing I actually think college football as we know it is nearing extinction). 

Thats incorrect in its essence colleges would be nothing without their sports especially in todays world. That's why you had colleges going crazy about not being able to play during the pandemic. Hell if it weren't for football LSU would've been shut down. Without sports the big time schools would be the same level as community colleges. You don't think players matter go look at the first time bear bryant played against black players. If players didn't matter he would've stuck to all white teams. As far as coaches go the players pay them. If it weren't for the players nick saban would be selling cars.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Seems like colleges would want to help students who are from bad situations. Not right being a great player is there only way into college.

I can't say all but I can say most colleges *do* help students from bad situations.  It is called financial aid.  But I think you missed part of my point.  You are focused on maybe 1-2% of all of the college football players.  The very vast majority of them will not have the opportunity to market themselves to the highest bidder.  If the current structure of college scholarships goes away or is drastically cut back there will be many, many more players hurt than benefit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

Thats incorrect in its essence colleges would be nothing without their sports especially in todays world. That's why you had colleges going crazy about not being able to play during the pandemic. Hell if it weren't for football LSU would've been shut down. Without sports the big time schools would be the same level as community colleges. You don't think players matter go look at the first time bear bryant played against black players. If players didn't matter he would've stuck to all white teams. As far as coaches go the players pay them. If it weren't for the players nick saban would be selling cars.

The things you don't know about higher education are overwhelming.  By the way, check out the division III swimmer from a top 25 school that just qualified for the Olympics in swimming.  DIII schools offer no, nada, zero, zippo scholarships yet surprise!  one of their athletes just qualified to compete as one of the best in the world.  The best don't always wind up at one of the relatively few DI schools.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

You just can't see you are clueless on this matter. You got Atticus as you boy.  Nothing else. But of course being classless as you are . You basically call me a MF.  It was my mistake to expect anything less. You crossed a line with this. 

Lord. Enough with dramatic bullshit. We’re not middle school girls. If you can’t handle being called names in this type of banter perhaps you should take a break from posting, Carnal. 

Clueless? Says who? You? Who are you? What type of authority are you in these matters? 

You sound like a viejita wanting to spend everybody else’s money saying fuck all those tens of thousands of kids who will lose their scholarships because people like you are too dense to realize that less than 1% of these kids will survive with your grand plan. 

Leave college sports alone. If you want kids to get paid create a D-league for them. You think getting those fucking dummies who can barely spell their own name to class is tough now? Give them a million dollars. They’ll shit on you, me, him and her quicker than you can say “rush never cheated.” 

Ill use Texas as an example their athletes bring in 33,000 a player just for playing sports. They only pay their athletes around half of that. Add in what the players could make off of likeness sales and whatever else and they are making less than 1/3 of their value that's for your avg athlete now think about someone like Vince young when he was at Texas. Its theft what they have done up until now. 

The NCAA is worth almost 20 billion now how does a non profit accumulate that wealth? This is also supposed to be an economy based on capitalism so any complaints about anyone making money legally is mute. This is the result of capitalism.

16 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Technically since you have kids you are a MF.  Nothing wrong with that and indeed something to be proud of.  Don't let people calling you names get you riled up.  You control how you feel, not others.

• Haha 1

Just now, Fred said:

Technically since you have kids you are a MF.  Nothing wrong with that and indeed something to be proud of.  Don't let people calling you names get you riled up.  You control how you feel, not others.

There are certain lines you don't cross out of man to man respect. Talking smack is one thing but this level was off the charts. We have argued like crazy Fred I have never used a cuss word toward you out of respect and being bought up in a Christian home.  A few on here have no respect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

*Some* universities have benefitted tremendously from high profile sports programs. Most of the elite institutions have not at all benefitted from them. Furthermore, the top athletic programs have always just turned around and put revenue right back into the programs. Only a select few individuals (top few football coaches and basketball coaches on staff) get wealthy. The revenue is mostly reflected in robust facilities and services (including elaborate tutoring, which goes mostly to kids who received inadequate educations from underperforming high schools). Sometimes, like at my alma mater, the athletic association ends up sending a lot of money to the academic areas, such as to libraries and dorm rooms. 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

There are certain lines you don't cross out of man to man respect. Talking smack is one thing but this level was off the charts. We have argued like crazy Fred I have never used a cuss word toward you out of respect and being bought up in a Christian home.  A few on here have no respect.

Christian home? The indefensible garbage you’ve defended over the years?!? I guess that’s the “forgiveness”’ part, huh? 

I was raised to forgive, regardless of the sin. Catholic. I’m not always the best at doing it, but I don’t float my holier than thou bullshit out to y’all as if it somehow makes me better than you or anybody else here like you just did. That is why so many think of “Christians” the way they do. They see and heat the “I was raised.......” stuff then watch the same person commit sin after sin after sin. Then they fall back on the “forgiveness” card when it suits them. 

not a good look for anybody. 

6 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I understand what you are saying but I think it is misplaced.  I'm no fan of the language many use but that's me.  You can call me all the names you want to.  Until I surrender control to you, you can't make me mad.  It is water off a duck's back.  There's a lot of machismo here that some can't let go of and it causes them to do things that really don't make sense.  This is an anonymous message board.  We've met and I think you may have met Larry but we aren't friends and basically you can say what you want to me and I'll just laugh and reply in a like manner.  I don't base my self image or worth on what you or anyone else on one of these boards says and I heartedly recommend you do the same.  Life is far too short.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

Ill use Texas as an example their athletes bring in 33,000 a player just for playing sports. They only pay their athletes around half of that. Add in what the players could make off of likeness sales and whatever else and they are making less than 1/3 of their value that's for your avg athlete now think about someone like Vince young when he was at Texas. Its theft what they have done up until now. 

The NCAA is worth almost 20 billion now how does a non profit accumulate that wealth? This is also supposed to be an economy based on capitalism so any complaints about anyone making money legally is mute. This is the result of capitalism.

But this is a bullshit statistic. The overwhelming majority of athletes amount to a net loss for schools. Most sports operate at a LOSS. Even on the football team at major programs, most players do not produce any revenue, i.e. the program would make what it made whether they were on the roster or not. 

And a big part of that is enhanced, innovative things that improve the quality of educational experience and life for so many people that would otherwise be non-existent. You should read "Basic Economics" by Sowell.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

As others have said, without the fan base UT has built up the guys playing there would not have a market to take advantage of.

I don't think you understand non profit and not for profit.  Nowhere does it say they can't build up a surplus over expenses.  It only defines what they do with it.

We can't be silenced about talking about it (mute).  It may not matter that we talk about it (moot).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

Christian home? The indefensible garbage you’ve defended over the years?!? I guess that’s the “forgiveness”’ part, huh? 

I was raised to forgive, regardless of the sin. Catholic. I’m not always the best at doing it, but I don’t float my holier than thou bullshit out to y’all as if it somehow makes me better than you or anybody else here like you just did. That is why so many think of “Christians” the way they do. They see and heat the “I was raised.......” stuff then watch the same person commit sin after sin after sin. Then they fall back on the “forgiveness” card when it suits them. 

not a good look for anybody. 

You were raised a Catholic the most know religious group of sexual abusers in history then went to a school in LSU who  abuses students and covers it up. Know wonder you have mental issues.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

You were raised a Catholic the most know religious group of sexual abusers in history then went to a school in LSU who  abuses students and covers it up. Know wonder you have mental issues.  

Ah. That “Christian” coming out in you again huh? 

See what I mean?!?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ga96 said:

Texas athletes bring in 33K a year? That’s all?!? 

Apparently you have no clue as to how much it costs to feed, house, teach, equip, train, give medical attention to, fly all over the country and so on and so forth. And if you throw in their monthly stipend, that 33K ain’t shit in comparison to their cost. 

If you had a wife and kids you’d realize what some of us are trying to convey. 

12 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I don't have an issue with athletes being able to profit off their likeness.  But hopefully there is no scholarships involved and these athletes pay for their education.

Rufus>>

Now, that is stupid…. So, a working mom needs more cheddar can not pick up a sideline gig to provide should not be able to do so. 
Past schollie athlete speaking here, there was no stipend for laundry, pizza runs, gas in the car or repairs for such just tuition, room and board and you better bust your ass at practice which was never a problem for me. 
Fast forward to today’s schollie athlete… the demands are more so… community outreach, hosting recruits, practice, study hall, strength and conditioning, physical therapy… very little if any free time for goofing off. However the NCAA as recently as 2015 caved to the pressure and started issue stipends up to $5000 a year for the above mentioned incidentals. Some athletes from socioeconomic disadvantaged backgrounds qualified for “Pell” assistance for additional funding. 
All lot of coin is left on the table for the NCAA to take in but the producers  of the product, the athlete does not gain from. 

bgw

• Like 1

What most (all?) of these clowns don't understand is that the athletic department has to pay the university for the cost of every scholarship athlete.

In other words, all 85 football players are costing the athletic department at least tens of thousands of dollars a year depending on the cost of attendance.

And that's just the cost of a scholarship. That doesn't account for support staff, coaches, trainers, medical personnel, etc.

And that's just the cost of support. That doesn't account for equipment, travel, hotels, etc.

One of the differences here is that the numbers I just posted are correct and the ones that @Ga96posted are completely made up.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Now, that is stupid…. So, a working mom needs more cheddar can not pick up a sideline gig to provide should not be able to do so. 
Past schollie athlete speaking here, there was no stipend for laundry, pizza runs, gas in the car or repairs for such just tuition, room and board and you better bust your ass at practice which was never a problem for me. 
Fast forward to today’s schollie athlete… the demands are more so… community outreach, hosting recruits, practice, study hall, strength and conditioning, physical therapy… very little if any free time for goofing off. However the NCAA as recently as 2015 caved to the pressure and started issue stipends up to $5000 a year for the above mentioned incidentals. Some athletes from socioeconomic disadvantaged backgrounds qualified for “Pell” assistance for additional funding. 
All lot of coin is left on the table for the NCAA to take in but the producers  of the product, the athlete does not gain from. 

bgw

I don't need schooling from a benchwarmer from Texas.

I maintain that you shouldn't have it both ways.  If you want the autonomy of how you can be compensated for you likeness...then that's fine with me.  I got NO problem with that.  But if you want it that way...NO SCHOLLY FOR YOU.  You pay your way.  

You got that...Shorty !!!!

Rufus>>

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rufus69 said:

I maintain that you shouldn't have it both ways.  If you want the autonomy of how you can be compensated for you likeness...then that's fine with me.  I got NO problem with that.  But if you want it that way...NO SCHOLLY FOR YOU.  You pay your way.  

Seems reasonable to me.

But you don't understand. People want all the benefits of everything without any of the responsibilities for anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I don't need schooling from a benchwarmer from Texas.

Rufus>>

I agree. Also pay for their own medical, travel and everything else.

Every second spent in the trainers room? Cha-Ching! Every second spent in the weight room? Cha-Ching! Every piece of clothing and every bite of food your mouth? Cha-Ching. 

If people are insisting they get their cut, then they get to share in the “getting them to that point”‘ process as well!

• Like 1