Larry and Atticus answer this?

HooverOutlaw

23 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I don't need schooling from a benchwarmer from Texas.

I maintain that you shouldn't have it both ways.  If you want the autonomy of how you can be compensated for you likeness...then that's fine with me.  I got NO problem with that.  But if you want it that way...NO SCHOLLY FOR YOU.  You pay your way.  

You got that...Shorty !!!!

Rufus>>

So, stay on the Plantation? Just the whiteboys in Indy get to make all the cheddar?

bgw

1 minute ago, Atticus Finch said:

The slavery comparisons are embarrassing and, frankly, a disgrace.

Let me preface this exchange a bit, if you're gonna go off... I'm not gonna participate.

Granted, depending on your view, maybe it's a disgrace, other than a Uncle Tom chiming in you're not going to get much traction.

But, I'm always open to enlightenment, so... "how so, Finch?".

bgw

15 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Let me preface this exchange a bit, if you're gonna go off... I'm not gonna participate.

Granted, depending on your view, maybe it's a disgrace, other than a Uncle Tom chiming in you're not going to get much traction.

bgw

I am for the kids getting paid, so long as they pay for everything on their own dime. Every single thing. 

The countless issues with it.......wow. What if a kid blows his knee out? Doesn’t pan out? Flunks out? There are hundreds or scenarios where this ends badly for the kid. 
And how many of these kids are going to benefit from this? Are they yearly contracts? Monthly? Daily? When was the last time you were at a big time schools players lot? You see the whips those kids drive? They need more? 😂 

When we played, decades ago, it was different. Everything was different. Drawing off of your personal experience and comparing it to today’s kids is apples to elephants. It’s silly to bring up, IMO

• Like 1

Just now, Sweetlarry said:

I am for the kids getting paid, so long as they pay for everything on their own dime. Every single thing. 

The countless issues with it.......wow. What if a kid blows his knee out? Doesn’t pan out? Flunks out? There are hundreds or scenarios where this ends badly for the kid. 
And how many of these kids are going to benefit from this? Are they yearly contracts? Monthly? Daily? When was the last time you were at a big time schools players lot? You see the whips those kids drive? They need more? 😂 

When we played, decades ago, it was different. Everything was different. Drawing off of your personal experience and comparing it to today’s kids is apples to elephants. It’s silly to bring up, IMO

Fuck! You can't be this hard headed!

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

Gotta run, you left a shit ton for easy rebuttals... catch u later.

bgw

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

It should go without saying that pampered college athletes who get everything in their lives for free, enjoy local celebrity and get free job training for a potential career in a multi-billion dollar industry aren't slaves.

To say so is offensive to the memory of actual slaves.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

It should go without saying that pampered college athletes who get everything in their lives for free, enjoy local celebrity and get free job training for a potential career in a multi-billion dollar industry aren't slaves.

Spot on Atticus! Having trouble digesting my self righteous brother being so cavalier, in his haste, and basically saying slaves were treated like gold.......like these big time college athletes are. 

Damn shame.

38 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Okay….   Never mind the bulk of minorities participating shall we?

bgw

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

So, stay on the Plantation? Just the whiteboys in Indy get to make all the cheddar?

bgw

The whiteboys in Indy?  You just pulled that racist comment out of your ass, didn't you?

The CEO/Chief Legal Officer of the NCAA Senior Management Team is Donald M. Remy.  He's a black man.  The Executive Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, Stan Wilcox, is also a black man.  Senior Vice President of Inclusion, Education & Community Engagement, Derrick Gragg?  You guessed it...also black.  Senior Vice President of Communications Bob Williams?  Black.  Interim Senior Vice President of Inclusion, Education & Community Engagement Felicia Martin?  Black.  Vice President of Hearing Operations Derrick Crawford?  Once again, black.

It took 30 seconds to find that information, and that's just the leadership.  They have more than 500 staff members working under their leadership.  I would assume many more black people are among that 500.

WTF is wrong with you, Buford?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

What most (all?) of these clowns don't understand is that the athletic department has to pay the university for the cost of every scholarship athlete.

In other words, all 85 football players are costing the athletic department at least tens of thousands of dollars a year depending on the cost of attendance.

And that's just the cost of a scholarship. That doesn't account for support staff, coaches, trainers, medical personnel, etc.

And that's just the cost of support. That doesn't account for equipment, travel, hotels, etc.

One of the differences here is that the numbers I just posted are correct and the ones that @Ga96posted are completely made up.

And they pay all of that because interest and financial support coming from the alumni base and community is sufficient to make it all possible. So, it IS a big business. But, it is a self-sustaining business. A huge booster donation results in a new weight room. A huge contribution distributed from mega TV rights contracts goes to build a new stadium and hire more support staff for otherwise underprepared student athletes. The primary beneficiaries are the student athletes who get opportunities and benefits that otherwise would not exist, and the paying customers who reap enjoyment from their university and its sports programs. 

Universities always reserve the right to say "fuck it, we're getting out of major sports and will focus on our primary mission as an institution of higher education and research". Many, I suspect, are going to do just that eventually. The result is far fewer opportunities for kids who desperately need opportunities.

Minor leagues figure to get a boost from the depletion of college athletics. But, they'll never provide anywhere near the value that a full ride to a university offers. Short term, yes. Long term, fuck no.

This isn't the "progressive", "pro labor" outcome most everyone assumes it is.

52 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

My sense is that more than half of them actually see themselves as exploited labor, if not slaves. That is the latest, most insane idea to break near, if not all the way on, the mainstream.

41 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

What percentage make the bigs, Finch?

I get your point though it’s not the same level of atrocity.

What is the percentage of an athlete making the bigs?

Once again, that schollie is not free, it’s a job….

bgw

14 minutes ago, Yard Dart said:

The whiteboys in Indy?  You just pulled that racist comment out of your ass, didn't you?

The CEO/Chief Legal Officer of the NCAA Senior Management Team is Donald M. Remy.  He's a black man.  The Executive Vice President of Regulatory Affairs, Stan Wilcox, is also a black man.  Senior Vice President of Inclusion, Education & Community Engagement, Derrick Gragg?  You guessed it...also black.  Senior Vice President of Communications Bob Williams?  Black.  Interim Senior Vice President of Inclusion, Education & Community Engagement Felicia Martin?  Black.  Vice President of Hearing Operations Derrick Crawford?  Once again, black.

It took 30 seconds to find that information, and that's just the leadership.  They have more than 500 staff members working under their leadership.  I would assume many more black people are among that 500.

WTF is wrong with you, Buford?

The White Boys that run the NCAA Dart, specifically Emmert and the background machinery not the paid employees. 

bgw

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Pay the kids but kids gotta pay tuition then no more athletic scholarships, only academic scholarships and financial aid

I've been arguing this for years. Allow them to make *every single dollar* the free market will offer them. And then make them go through the exact same admissions process as the rest of the student body (corrupt, legacy cases aside). Perhaps some alumni will offer to fund a handful of athletic scholarships and they can apply for those (will be in short supply). But, mostly, they have to get admitted to the university based on sufficient academic credentials that go well beyond the minimum stated standards. Many (most?) schools do not admit just anyone who meets the minimum basic standards. In fact, if you barely meet the minimum standards, you basically know you're not getting into any good school. UNLESS your football scholarship effectively allows you to bypass the admissions process. But such offers aren't likely to make any sense for schools once they've decided they have no chance to compete in the leagues where big $ may be available. And that's going to happen all over the place once there are no limits to what schools can offer kids. Vanderbilt is never going to compete with Alabama, Florida etc. They're just going to get out all together. 

9 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

What percentage make the bigs, Finch?

I get your point though it’s not the same level of atrocity.

What is the percentage of an athlete making the bigs?

Once again, that schollie is not free, it’s a job….

bgw

And the job is not unpaid. The value of the benefits accrued-which include food and housing- is immense.

• Thanks 1