Texas 6A preseason top 10

Horsefly

11 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

Yes, I've never made a "descent" argument here.

I have however made perfectly reasonable ones based on facts that aren't countered very much if at all by you and others.

Texas defenses sucking, in general, is only so obvious that it smacks you in the face every year.

Texas schedules sucking, in general, is the same. 

To say that I haven't supported those two claims is ridiculous and untrue.

I’m going to try to be honest.

Texas defenses sucking, in general, is only so obvious that it smacks you in the face every year.

I say for one, 7-on-7 has probably made every aspect of this worse. Everyone wants a quick-strike, pass-happy offense and that’s what a lot of teams are aiming to do. 

A lot of people are watching that and taking it into the Fall season as a way of finding success.

I have however made perfectly reasonable ones based on facts that aren't countered very much if at all by you and others.

Honestly, How are your arguments supposed to be countered? I feel the only way you would be “satisfied” is if all Texans just admitted our teams actually sucked and our football is all overrated.

I mentioned earlier that trying to defend Texas is a lose, lose situation; so, it is pointless.

Also, The other parts of the state make fun of Dallas for their defense all the time. It’s known in Texas that many coaches there will put all of their athletic talent on the offensive side of the ball and bank on outscoring you [i.e. Rockwall]. There are others but someone else who knows would have to point them out. I personally know I’ve seen their coach say that’s what Rockwall likes to do.

Most other teams in Dallas don’t have the program or talent to stop the powers in Dallas like Euless Trinity, Carroll, Allen [It probably really is because they suck 😕] 🤷🏻‍♀️

So, they have no option but to attempt to outscore them.

The same goes for Houston. Houston is Katy’s playground and there are very few if any coaches or teams in Houston who can actually out-coach or get close to stopping a Katy offense, or score on a Katy defense except for maybe North Shore. Katy doesn’t have overwhelming athletes or an influx of transfers but what they do have is a defensive oriented coach who preaches basic fundamentals to the tiniest detail and assignment football to the point they perfect it. Be in your spot, at the right moment, and execute your job with exceptional precision. I believe he also puts his best players on defense and not many coaches will do that.

You need an exceptional team to beat Katy, which is why Katy mostly only falls to an eventual state champion.

The same for Austin.

Lake Travis and Westlake run Austin and it’s not even close.

I’m guessing I really don’t know what else to say other than to admit that Texas defenses suck because we don’t have enough talent in the state to fill the rosters like other power states like Florida, New Jersey or California can.

Our coaches don’t know how to teach defense except for maybe Gary Joseph. They take the simple approach like out scoring, and hail-marying.

Our teams don’t like to schedule great competition because that would ruin their morale early on in the season and expose the team and the state of Texas for being the overrated frauds that they are. 

We’re all seeing what’s happening to Duncanville.

Does this make sense?

Is that honestly in the ballpark of being realistic?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Also, The other parts of the state make fun of Dallas for their defense all the time. It’s known in Texas that many coaches there will put all of their athletic talent on the offensive side of the ball and bank on outscoring you [i.e. Rockwall]. There are others but someone else who knows would have to point them out. I personally know I’ve seen their coach say that’s what Rockwall likes to do.

Understood but this is not a refutation. It's merely an explanation for why the defenses suck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

It’s known in Texas that many coaches there will put all of their athletic talent on the offensive side of the ball and bank on outscoring you [i.e. Rockwall]. There are others but someone else who knows would have to point them out. I personally know I’ve seen their coach say that’s what Rockwall likes to do.

But if you were good at defense you wouldn't have to worry about someone like Rockwall out-scoring you. In fact if you're worried about Rockwall then you might as well just give up at that point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

The same goes for Houston. Houston is Katy’s playground and there are very few if any coaches or teams in Houston who can actually out-coach or get close to stopping a Katy offense, or score on a Katy defense except for maybe North Shore. Katy doesn’t have overwhelming athletes or an influx of transfers but what they do have is a defensive oriented coach who preaches basic fundamentals to the tiniest detail and assignment football to the point they perfect it. Be in your spot, at the right moment, and execute your job with exceptional precision. Not many coaches will do that.

You need an exceptional team to beat Katy, which is why Katy mostly only falls to an eventual state champion.

North Shore has talent and still couldn't stop Katy who was running a simple student body right.

It's the culture and mentality.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

The same for Austin.

Lake Travis and Westlake run Austin and it’s not even close.

Well, Austin football is terrible and so the cul-de-sac schools run it regardless of anything else.

Those teams have cultures built around offense. Same issue as everybody else. They hired offensive gurus who can't coach a like of defense and off they went.

• Like 1

Just now, RedZone said:

Katy has one of the most talented senior classes in Texas.......they always have more talent than people give then credit for,,,

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/Recruits/?&PlayerSport.PlayerInstitution.Institution.Key=21198

Last year Katy sent 12 to the next level which is more than respectable.

• Jaden Maronen – Football – Baylor University
  • Elijah Stewart – Football – Kentucky Western University
  • Cohen Dearman – Football – Stephen F. Austin University
  • Hunter Washington – Football – Florida State University
  • Jacob Norman – Football – Ouachita Baptist University
  • CJ Marsh – Football – Sam Houston State University
  • Dalton Johnson – Football – University of Arizona
  • Jalen Davis – Football – Stephen F. Austin University
  • Taylor Saulsberry – Football – University of Houston
  • Omar Aigbedion – Football – West Point Military Academy
  • Shepherd Bowling – Football – West Point Military Academy
  • Bill Katsigiannis – Football – West Point Military Academy

2 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Last year Katy sent 12 to the next level which is more than respectable.

• Jaden Maronen – Football – Baylor University
  • Elijah Stewart – Football – Kentucky Western University
  • Cohen Dearman – Football – Stephen F. Austin University
  • Hunter Washington – Football – Florida State University
  • Jacob Norman – Football – Ouachita Baptist University
  • CJ Marsh – Football – Sam Houston State University
  • Dalton Johnson – Football – University of Arizona
  • Jalen Davis – Football – Stephen F. Austin University
  • Taylor Saulsberry – Football – University of Houston
  • Omar Aigbedion – Football – West Point Military Academy
  • Shepherd Bowling – Football – West Point Military Academy
  • Bill Katsigiannis – Football – West Point Military Academy

https://katyisd.org/Lists/latestnews/DispForm.aspx?ID=1398&ContentTypeId=0x010400C42352F717BE064A9FF677DC3CE6CCF2

The reality is the offenses are getting harder and harder to stop in Texas. Even Westlake who had one of the more dominating defenses in Texas gave up a lot of points to SLC. The RPO is more difficult now then ever to defend. All the playmakers go to WR. Everybody wants to score TDs. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gametyme said:

The reality is the offenses are getting harder and harder to stop in Texas. Even Westlake who had one of the more dominating defenses in Texas gave up a lot of points to SLC. The RPO is more difficult now then ever to defend. All the playmakers go to WR. Everybody wants to score TDs. 

Two things.

Westlake had no players on defense. Their best player walked-on for college. So even if they're coached-up it won't really matter against the best teams.

Also, they might have looked dominant on defense because the third best team they played was Buda Hays. In other words, their schedule was slapdick central.

They played the best two teams at the end of the season and gave up 55 points. I guarantee you if they played a schedule like the top DFW teams they would be right in the middle of the pack defensively.

6 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Two things.

Westlake had no players on defense. Their best player walked-on for college. So even if they're coached-up it won't really matter against the best teams.

Also, they might have looked dominant on defense because the third best team they played was Buda Hays. In other words, their schedule was slapdick central.

They played the best two teams at the end of the season and gave up 55 points. I guarantee you if they played a schedule like the top DFW teams they would right in the middle of the pack defensively.

Buda Hays??  That’s the shop I go to for bongs and blunts. Err I mean water pipes and tobacco leaves 🥷

Not too shabby of a schedule for Lake Travis. They'll be facing some intrastate powers in Arlington Martin, Rockwall, and Austin Westlake, these teams are all ranked in the top 15 in Texas and top 100 in the country according to the MaxPreps Preseason rankings. They'll also be facing perennial power Converse Judson.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WILKINSON said:

Not too shabby of a schedule for Lake Travis. They'll be facing some intrastate powers in Arlington Martin, Rockwall, and Austin Westlake, these teams are all ranked in the top 15 in Texas and top 100 in the country according to the MaxPreps Preseason rankings. They'll also be facing perennial power Converse Judson.

Is Judson expecting a rebound season? They’ve looked a little average the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, SeaShells21 said:

Is Judson expecting a rebound season? They’ve looked a little average the last couple of years.

I sure hope so. I like Converse Judson but i'm not too informed on what they're bringing back this year. Last year was definitely a down year for them. But aside from last year, they had been doing pretty well. They went 12-2 in 2019 losing to Lake Travis in the 4th round. In 2018 they went 12-1, losing to Lake Travis again in the 4th round. In 2017, they went 10-2 losing in the second round to none other than...Lake Travis. Year before that they lost to Austin Westlake, and they lost to North Shore in 2015 in the State Semifinals. 

The opening of SA Veterans Memorial and SA Davenport HS has affected their talent pool in my opinion. Hope they climb the ranks along with Cibolo Steele. It's more fun when the San Antonio schools are good.

• Like 1