I can’t stand marching Bands at football games

imaGoodBoyNow

2 hours ago, JCGIII said:

Historically the best band in Georgia. Lowndes has more members , and a quarter the talent.

https://education.musicforall.org/2009/05/31/a-glimpse-into-the-success-of-southwest-dekalb-high-school/

Personally, I love Pebblebrook's band. They're my favorite I've seen in person at a game to date. I haven't seen southwest Dekalb either though. 

5 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

So pebble brook has the best Band??   Who would you say Georgia top 5 band is??? Lmao I can’t believe I just asked that

I have no idea. I just rank them in my mind as I see them at games. It's a big part of the reason I travel to almost all of our games. I want to see other folks' traditions, bands and stadiums. 

67packer is right, the Valdosta band was pretty tight this year. Just through all my travels so far, Pebblebrook is at the top of my list. I would put Valdosta in there at the top also. 

I prefer an actual  traditional marching band rather than these bands that roll out speakers and mics and etc. Give me a band that actually marches with some great drum majors. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

So pebble brook has the best Band??   Who would you say Georgia top 5 band is??? Lmao I can’t believe I just asked that

Traditionally: 

SWD (Decatur,GA)

Stephenson (Stone Mountain,GA) 

Tucker (GA) 

Lowndes (Valdosta,GA) 

Crisp County (Cordele,GA) 

Charles Monroe (Albany,GA) 

Doughtery (Albany,GA)

I haven't seen Pebblebrook In person.... 

But I've heard them. 

• Thanks 1

I think marching bands are one of the most important pieces for setting the atmosphere of football games. I've said for many years that the NFL needs marching bands. 

The loud rap/dance music or loud ACDC/heavy rock music blasting through the speakers is a big annoyance for me. (acceptable for team entrances.) 

The live cadences, drumlines and blasting brass is so much better IMO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

My admittedly petty, juvenile beef with marching bands, framed by my existence in Phoenix suburbs that did not exist 30 years ago and as such almost completely devoid of connection to the Midwest/Southern/HBCU sporting cultures:

I don't care how "bad" your football team is, nobody who isn't related to you (you = run of the mill marching band participant) is at the game to "see the band". While you might have a few kids in band that are "popular", the band kids at your school are not the "cool" kids (I have a similar reaction to my 14-year old nephew saying he wants to be a nerd; maybe when you're in your 30s and your genius has revolutionized the virtual pastry industry, but not when you're in your teens).

Have no qualms with you doing your thing and having a blast with it, just don't try to sell me on a reality that is non-existent (again, as it relates to my suburban Phoenix echo chamber; if band kids are stuffing linebackers into trash cans elsewhere then good on ya).

Here in Texas, LD Bell’s fans used to show up to see the band, then leave at halftime. 

There are some schools that are known nationally for their marching band and considered “band schools”. In some of them, the band kids are the cool kids because they’re the ones winning state championships 😎

Hebron, Reagan, Claudia Taylor Johnson, Marcus, The Woodlands etc.

It just depends.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

...the band kids are the cool kids because they’re the ones winning state championships 

Lots of nieces and nephews, and most were athletes through high school, at least. Some chose the arts, and were involved with acting and painting and such. Others preferred getting fucked up. And one was in the band.

I never thought I'd spend entire Saturdays at a local stadium watching high school bands perform (no football, just bands), but for 4 years I did it. They grew on me -- they were pretty damn good. Those kids work just as hard and long as the athletes, and do compete for state championships.

It would be a bit of stretch to consider many of the band members cool kids, though. Most of them played multiple instruments and were too busy with band practice, piano lessons, recitals, performances, homework, video games, band camp (yep), competitions, etc. to spend time with the "in" crowd.

My nephew was a true blue nerd, for sure. He was not royalty at any of the big dances, and didn't hang with the popular group. He went to a nerdy, academically demanding college, and took his Electrical Engineering degree to the workforce where he was snatched up real quick and given a salary out of this world. I'm sure the popular kids wouldn't mind the 26 year old band nerd's $700,000 home. I know I wouldn't mind it. Little fucker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, DLS350 said:

As far as bands go, DLS is just ok at best. Now Pittsburg High has a great marching band, worth the price of admission to the game!!

Not bad...

The Kingwood marching band always gets a standing ovation from the Katy crowd when we play them.  Katy used to have a marching band like this, but they've since gone to a typical "show band" where the kids just meander around looking like they're lost.

• Like 1

All the Dekalb County schools in Georgia have Amazing bands... 

SWD is the one that stands out because they've had the most national success... 

Lowndes is Pretty good too... 

And they're freaking Large.... when I was in HS Lowndes HS Marching band was the 2nd Largest in the state with around 556 kids... 

Wanna say the only band larger was M.L.King Jr. HS which is also a Dekalb County school

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Lots of nieces and nephews, and most were athletes through high school, at least. Some chose the arts, and were involved with acting and painting and such. Others preferred getting fucked up. And one was in the band.

I never thought I'd spend entire Saturdays at a local stadium watching high school bands perform (no football, just bands), but for 4 years I did it. They grew on me -- they were pretty damn good. Those kids work just as hard and long as the athletes, and do compete for state championships.

It would be a bit of stretch to consider many of the band members cool kids, though. Most of them played multiple instruments and were too busy with band practice, piano lessons, recitals, performances, homework, video games, band camp (yep), competitions, etc. to spend time with the "in" crowd.

My nephew was a true blue nerd, for sure. He was not royalty at any of the big dances, and didn't hang with the popular group. He went to a nerdy, academically demanding college, and took his Electrical Engineering degree to the workforce where he was snatched up real quick and given a salary out of this world. I'm sure the popular kids wouldn't mind the 26 year old band nerd's $700,000 home. I know I wouldn't mind it. Little fucker.

I could sit and watch the bands all day long. It’s changed so much (for the better) but it just brings back so many wonderful memories.

When I went through high school, our football team was not a power but we were pretty descent, at least my sophomore year. Our band however was one of the top organizations on campus and at the state level. We had developed a tradition of medaling at state championships and were part of the pride of the community & school. 

That’s more-so what I meant by “cool” but I understand what you mean. There were times I’d overhear other kids wondering why the school was excited and talking more about us than say the football team.

I get it, we were considered the “nerds” on campus. The goofy, silly kids. I was definitely not part of the “in” crowd. I was shy and quiet most of the time and kept to myself but we were the ones bringing in the trophies darn it, so it didn’t really bug me 😌

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JCGIII said:

Historically the best band in Georgia. Lowndes has more members , and a quarter the talent.

https://education.musicforall.org/2009/05/31/a-glimpse-into-the-success-of-southwest-dekalb-high-school/

Who told you they were the best band in Georgia? They are not even close.

Not once have I seen them in a battle of the bands, which takes place in the ATL. 

Never !

5 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

I think marching bands are one of the most important pieces for setting the atmosphere of football games. I've said for many years that the NFL needs marching bands. 

The loud rap/dance music or loud ACDC/heavy rock music blasting through the speakers is a big annoyance for me. (acceptable for team entrances.) 

The live cadences, drumlines and blasting brass is so much better IMO

The Washington Football Team do don't they? I remember when I was young and they were still the Redskins they did.

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I have no idea. I just rank them in my mind as I see them at games. It's a big part of the reason I travel to almost all of our games. I want to see other folks' traditions, bands and stadiums. 

67packer is right, the Valdosta band was pretty tight this year. Just through all my travels so far, Pebblebrook is at the top of my list. I would put Valdosta in there at the top also. 

I prefer an actual  traditional marching band rather than these bands that roll out speakers and mics and etc. Give me a band that actually marches with some great drum majors. 

Pebblebrook band was very good. I remember telling my wife when I saw them they may be better than the Lowndes band.

• Like 1