SJB wants all the smoke...

PlayTheGame

On 11/2/2021 at 7:39 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

He did. We spoke a few days after the game. He said IMG was way more physical. 

Biff Pogi also said SJR was way more physical than Mater Dei...but they beat SJR 28-0 and lost to MD 34-18...

Being more physical doesn't translate to a automatic victory. I like that SJB vs IMG matchup

On 11/4/2021 at 10:22 PM, dntn31 said:

OK, let's entertain the argument that the computer algorithms hold no water (not a good one btw). Instead, we'll look at wins against teams that finished in the top25 human polls. SJB still has the better résumé:

1404084420_Screenshot2021-11-04224220.png.f6297570e53e6643b27c4477947c0618.png

Some points here in response to many comments since I've been back:

- Both computer rankings and human rankings are impacted significantly by bias and human assumptions. And the assumptions have tended to favor California teams HEAVILY. There are teams that are WAYYY higher in the ratings than they've earned, and this ends up leading to the teams at the very top remaining highly rated on the basis of playing other highly rated teams. 

- SJB is 0-1 vs. STA, and the loss came in a year where STA had arguably their worst team of the last 10 years, having lost two games by two or more TDs and then to Venice, who only had two plays in their playbook then, in the playoffs. SJB managed three (3) points in 4 quarters and an overtime vs. STA, yet scored no less than 21 points in every other game all season. The only other team to beat SJB was a Mater Dei team that some here have called the best ever to come out of California.

- Finch's claim of 2019 Mater Dei not being in contention for the MNC is laughable given 2019 MD WAS as good as any team in high school football history. They were on their way to being crowned the best ever all the way through to a 28-5 lead over SJB. SJB caught fire and rode a massive wave of momentum to an improbable win.

- The lack of sophisticated running game- and thus lack of experience in defending one- would give the top teams in California trouble in ways most don't realize.  If they ever have to face a team with a really strong, sophisticated running game-both under center and out of the gun- they'd struggle. And their lack of running game would give elite defenses a chance to slow their offenses down some.

- There is no such thing as a national championship in high school football. The "M" in MNC is for MYTHICAL. Yet you guys talk of it as if it's real. It is not.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:25 PM, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Not sure whether MD travels further than TX, but do you know of any reason why STA game hasn’t been made? For that matter, are there ANY top 10 OOS Teams that have called out MD publicly that we said no to?

I also wouldn’t mind playing SFA again in Maryland assuming they beat IMG and of course TX 6A champ but that’ll likely never happen;however, I hear Bosco has a date next year already locked-in…any idea who that is?

MD went to DC to play SJC a couple years back. I don’t really think distance is the issue. I’m not saying STA is ducking us, there are tons of variables that go into making games happen. I did get confirmation at the last Rollo invitational that our AD reached out to Aquinas. Other schools as well. It really has gotten to the point that Rollo will take the show on the road to anyone that is willing to take the game. 

I’d be happy playing Frances again. Their style just doesn’t match up well against MD. They’ll always lose to teams that are just a physical with equal talent and better coaching. I don’t think we’ll be invited back to Texas for a little while Lol. All the talk is that it’s Sjb at Allen in August. I just don’t see that happening. I have no idea why Allen would take that game. 

16 hours ago, badrouter said:

- Both computer rankings and human rankings are impacted significantly by bias and human assumptions. And the assumptions have tended to favor California teams HEAVILY. There are teams that are WAYYY higher in the ratings than they've earned, and this ends up leading to the teams at the very top remaining highly rated on the basis of playing other highly rated teams. 

- SJB is 0-1 vs. STA, and the loss came in a year where STA had arguably their worst team of the last 10 years, having lost two games by two or more TDs and then to Venice, who only had two plays in their playbook then, in the playoffs. SJB managed three (3) points in 4 quarters and an overtime vs. STA, yet scored no less than 21 points in every other game all season. The only other team to beat SJB was a Mater Dei team that some here have called the best ever to come out of California.

- Finch's claim of 2019 Mater Dei not being in contention for the MNC is laughable given 2019 MD WAS as good as any team in high school football history. They were on their way to being crowned the best ever all the way through to a 28-5 lead over SJB. SJB caught fire and rode a massive wave of momentum to an improbable win.

- The lack of sophisticated running game- and thus lack of experience in defending one- would give the top teams in California trouble in ways most don't realize.  If they ever have to face a team with a really strong, sophisticated running game-both under center and out of the gun- they'd struggle. And their lack of running game would give elite defenses a chance to slow their offenses down some.

- There is no such thing as a national championship in high school football. The "M" in MNC is for MYTHICAL. Yet you guys talk of it as if it's real. It is not.

Thanks for the fair, objective points. I think part of the recent and admitted bias is recency of OOS games and the outcomes of those games. It’s like in boxing, you have to beat the champ to be the champ. This was true with DLS, BG and now it’s MD’s reign.

I think it’s painfully clear many teams either don’t want the heat (perhaps STA and TX fall in this category), it’s financial (public’s/$$$ travel) or simply can’t due to legislation (IMG). For everyone else, ask your coach’s or AD’s to contact or publicly call out MD, play the game and WIN to change the narrative. 

16 hours ago, badrouter said:

Finch's claim of 2019 Mater Dei not being in contention for the MNC is laughable given 2019 MD WAS as good as any team in high school football history. They were on their way to being crowned the best ever all the way through to a 28-5 lead over SJB. SJB caught fire and rode a massive wave of momentum to an improbable win.

This is not even a debatable point.

Mater Dei lost in their section championship. They were not in a single discussion for an MNC by any of the publications.

Period.

Full stop.

39 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

I think it’s painfully clear many teams either don’t want the heat (perhaps STA and TX fall in this category), it’s financial (public’s/$$$ travel) or simply can’t due to legislation (IMG). For everyone else, ask your coach’s or AD’s to contact or publicly call out MD, play the game and WIN to change the narrative. 

It's painfully clear that you're either a newbie fan or just not very insightful.

You're the Columbiafan of California.

11 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

MD went to DC to play SJC a couple years back. I don’t really think distance is the issue. I’m not saying STA is ducking us, there are tons of variables that go into making games happen. I did get confirmation at the last Rollo invitational that our AD reached out to Aquinas. Other schools as well. It really has gotten to the point that Rollo will take the show on the road to anyone that is willing to take the game. 

I’d be happy playing Frances again. Their style just doesn’t match up well against MD. They’ll always lose to teams that are just a physical with equal talent and better coaching. I don’t think we’ll be invited back together o Texas for a little while Lol. All the talk is that it’s Sjb at Allen in August. I just don’t see that happening. I have no idea why Allen would take that game. 

I'm pretty sure it's North Shore. They were willing to host DLS's stronger teams last season, don't think they'll back down from SJB

11 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

I’d be happy playing Frances again. Their style just doesn’t match up well against MD. They’ll always lose to teams that are just a physical with equal talent and better coaching. I don’t think we’ll be invited back together o Texas for a little while Lol. All the talk is that it’s Sjb at Allen in August. I just don’t see that happening. I have no idea why Allen would take that game. 

You should probably tell Rollo to tell OOS schools Mater Dei is NOT a sports academy like IMG...People have this association bias where they see IMG and MD at 1 and 2 interchangeably every year and assume MD can only be that good because they recruit all over the world like IMG. It sucks but a lot of OOS people I've talked to assume MD recruits nationwide just like IMG and they don't bother to just google it.

East. St.Louis's streaming crew called SJB a sports academy...Desoto's HC after he played IMG found out IMG was a sports academy and was upset. ESPN got duped by Bishop Sycamore. Don't underestimate people's ignorance they don't bother to do their research

17 hours ago, badrouter said:

What exactly is a sophisticated running game that Cali doesn't see?  

54 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

What exactly is a sophisticated running game that Cali doesn't see?  

One with a variety of formations, variations in the speed with which the plays develop, sophisticated, varied blocking schemes, a willingness to stick with the ground game even if it gets stuffed a few plays. In other words, more than just a HB dive from the gun and zone read. From what I've seen in SoCal of late, there are excellent, sophisticated passing games with players that have played a ton of passing league, 7v7 etc. The running game is more of an afterthought, used to keep defenses honest rather than beat defenses up on the ground.

Admittedly, there aren't a ton of these types of teams among nationally rated teams.