BOMBSHELL: Mater Dei Hazing Scandal

The Stache

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Basically accusing the woman of perjury....wow!

Guess that was an option. A poor one, put an option.

That last paragraph takes the cake basically a screw you to that kid his family and any other family's that have dealt with mess at mater dump. 

30 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

"Sounds more like a gang than a Catholic high school."

"Acts like one, too."

This wouldn't be as bad if they weren't pretending to be "catholic"

More like a cult. The MDI (Mater Dei Institute) would give the Scientologist a run for their money are far as creepy cover ups and lawyer teams. 

• Like 1

All in the name of winning football games at any cost just to be voted by some blog or website as the fake National champion.  Disgusting what high school sports has become at the top tiers. Cheating to win states is one thing but this is a new level of debauchery. National Championships are not needed in high school sports it breeds to much corruption even fake ones. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MD87 said:

@res ipsa loquitur is an alum and an attorney.  Will wait for his commentary; the only one that really matters.

I have no love or hate for Mater Dei, which obviously many do.  I know there are always two sides, and just giving my thoughts on this report.  My opinion has no impact on the case.  

Only hope the truth comes out and justice prevails whatever that is, especially if there was harm done to a kid.

2 hours ago, OldTerrapin said:

All in the name of winning football games at any cost just to be voted by some blog or website as the fake National champion.  Disgusting what high school sports has become at the top tiers. Cheating to win states is one thing but this is a new level of debauchery. National Championships are not needed in high school sports it breeds to much corruption even fake ones. 

This isn't a MD issue exclusively, you can see a similar type issue at Midland Christian.  A baseball player reported a (very serious) incident of hazing and there appears to have been a cover up. This isn't a "top tier" sports school.  

https://www.yourbasin.com/news/midland-christian-timeline-what-happened-and-when/

2 hours ago, pied said:

This isn't a MD issue exclusively, you can see a similar type issue at Midland Christian.  A baseball player reported a (very serious) incident of hazing and there appears to have been a cover up. This isn't a "top tier" sports school.  

https://www.yourbasin.com/news/midland-christian-timeline-what-happened-and-when/

yep here also.. group tea bagging and then the cover up.. The difference here is no one is going to get away with it. No high power law firm at their disposal

https://www.caller.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2022/02/22/orange-grove-high-school-football-coach-delpercio-reassigned/6900194001/

https://www.caller.com/story/news/2021/05/06/police-investigate-hazing-incident-oghs/4980317001/

https://www.kristv.com/news/local-news/several-people-facing-charges-after-alleged-hazing-incident

image.jpeg.8c59b3ce12b3c60a2ca19b44215b8e5c.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Colonel said:

Why?  He’s certainly not an unbiased party. 

Seriously?  You've read his previous posts, I presume?  He's very clear in distinguishing his personal opinion from his professional commentary, and no one on this board can hold a candle to his credentials concerning the latter.  So we'll see.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Seriously?  You've read his previous posts, I presume?  He's very clear in distinguishing his personal opinion from his professional commentary, and no one on this board can hold a candle to his credentials concerning the latter.  So we'll see.  

Yeah, he can post his typical mini novel trying to prove that the woman is a no good liar and the worst hire in mater dei history. That seems to be the theme on the California forum from the mater dei fanboys.

NO, No One wants to read that.

7 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Credentials vs Morality though. Plenty of mater dumps people have credentials and have lied and committed other acts including covering things up. Clearly credentials amount to a hill of beans when it comes to mater dump.

Mater Dei should change "Honor, Glory, Love" to "Lie, Cheat, Repeat"

This if from the md grads twitter group.

"Mater Dei: Protecting THEIR reputation over YOUR safety. If you send your kid there, you might want to make sure they have martial arts training."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

That's really not the issue....and mater dei apparently has a pretty long history with lawsuits and cover ups.

#culture 

Want to clarify.  My point wasn't that it's ok because others do it.  

What I do think, is they are not unique in this, and not certain this has anything to do specifically with their National title/publicity aspirations.  

The issue should be judged on the evidence of wrongdoing and potential cover up.  The fact that they have a very good football team isn't relevant, other than the fact it is more news worthy in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, pied said:

What I do think, is they are not unique in this, and not certain this has anything to do specifically with their National title/publicity aspirations.  

The issue should be judged on the evidence of wrongdoing and potential cover up.  The fact that they have a very good football team isn't relevant, other than the fact it is more news worthy in my opinion.

It took the truth 10 to 15 years to come out in one lawsuit at mater dei.

I guess you can wait on it.

My opinion is the truth is right there for all to see..... If people accept it or not is on them 

It doesn't really interest me what's going on somewhere else or if it's baseball, football or basketball. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pied said:

Hazing is certainly an issue everywhere. Not just sports. Not just high school.

Some of the cases are weak, for instance, my Marine bud is dealing with a case where an enlisted person got in trouble and his seargant issued the punishment of washing all the dirty dishes from the day. Well, said sarge and friends then went in and splattered mustard and ketchup on allll of the dishes that weren't already dirty. This is being called a hazing case. Seems kind of weak, but, it will fall into the numbers. 

This Mater Dei thing involved a kid getting punched until he had a concussion with video and other kids chanting and cheering and jeering along with kids that pretended that nothing was even going on around them. 

Whether or not there has been a culture of "bodies" at Mater Dei, ie. a "dangerous" hazing culture in general, is beside the point to me. This was an apparent extreme case of hazing and the victim hasn't exactly been treated well by the school to boot. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

This Mater Dei thing involved a kid getting punched until he had a concussion

He was also a willing participant who could have just as easily concussed the other kid.Nobody forced him to participate which kind of rules out hazing IMO.How MD handled the aftermath is suspicious but they do claim to have evidence to the contrary of former employee.I’ll wait and see instead of jumping to conclusions 

• Like 2

Just now, Ararar said:

He was also a willing participant who could have just as easily concussed the other kid.Nobody forced him to participate which kind of rules out hazing IMO.How MD handled the aftermath is suspicious but they do claim to have evidence to the contrary of former employee.I’ll wait and see instead of jumping to conclusions 

He was a willing participant until he wasnt. 

When a group of kids are pressuring him to do this "bodies" thing to fit in, and cheering and jeering and etc., the pressure on a young man is immense. Either participate and be a "cool kid" or don't and get shunned. 

Seems like he didn't exactly have a great list of options, which is part of what the case is about. Whether or not a culture of that type of pressure and activity has been allowed in the program. 

We the interested public will likely never know tbh. 

None-the-less, it's been an interesting story to follow. This latest development with a former AD going under oath and spilling what they knew and then the school quickly saying that AD lied is very interesting indeed. The former AD doesn't appear to have much to gain by being honest or lying either one, but, the school on the otherhand has much to lose. Their playbook seems pretty easy to read from my viewpoint. It's not exactly becoming for a school, especially a "Christian" or "Catholic" school, to say the least.

I'm mostly intrigued, and been pretty quiet on it, because there are so many unknowns. A person basically unconnected to any suits testifying under oath then being immediately after called a liar is a trip. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Hazing is certainly an issue everywhere. Not just sports. Not just high school.

Some of the cases are weak, for instance, my Marine bud is dealing with a case where an enlisted person got in trouble and his seargant issued the punishment of washing all the dirty dishes from the day. Well, said sarge and friends then went in and splattered mustard and ketchup on allll of the dishes that weren't already dirty. This is being called a hazing case. Seems kind of weak, but, it will fall into the numbers. 

This Mater Dei thing involved a kid getting punched until he had a concussion with video and other kids chanting and cheering and jeering along with kids that pretended that nothing was even going on around them. 

Whether or not there has been a culture of "bodies" at Mater Dei, ie. a "dangerous" hazing culture in general, is beside the point to me. This was an apparent extreme case of hazing and the victim hasn't exactly been treated well by the school to boot. 

You make some good points that I don't disagree with.  What I'm commenting(or at least trying to :)) to is comments that look like this:

All in the name of winning football games at any cost just to be voted by some blog or website as the fake National champion.

I don't think MD has hazing to win football games or covering up as a means to be a fake National Champion.  Those may be affected by, or result of, but as evidenced by your military story or the Midland Christian one, not as uncommon as they should be and those clearly not motivated by national recognition.

Hope that makes more sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pied said:

You make some good points that I don't disagree with.  What I'm commenting(or at least trying to :)) to is comments that look like this:

All in the name of winning football games at any cost just to be voted by some blog or website as the fake National champion.

I don't think MD has hazing to win football games or covering up as a means to be a fake National Champion.  Those may be affected by, or result of, but as evidenced by your military story or the Midland Christian one, not as uncommon as they should be and those clearly not motivated by national recognition.

Hope that makes more sense.

No, they don’t need hazing to win MNC, but are willing to look away from allegations to preserve their ability to win one.(keep the HC protected by all means necessary)  Otherwise, we’d see their highly esteemed HC be thrown under the bus.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

If I had to bet I’d say the AD is telling the truth. She was hired in 2020, which was well into the FB teams rise to national prominence, so with all the people watching the administration probably vetted the crap out of her. Who up and leaves one of the premiere jobs in all of high school athletics after one year. When the MD lawyers called her an outright liar after they tried in vain to squash her deposition. I just don’t see how she would benefit from lying, this just doesn’t add up.

• Like 4