Geico Participants

FootballGuy

1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

From what I hear, it looks like it may be Collins Hill vs. Graham-Kapowsin (WA). Not a big fan of the matchup, but it will definitely be closer than Marietta vs. Eastside Catholic in 2019.

After WIAA state championship triumph, No. 1 Graham-Kapowsin could be in line for GEICO State Championship Bowl Series bid

1-8-2-800x445.jpg

Turns out, the top-ranked Graham-Kapowsin Eagles‘ football season might not be over just yet.

The recently-crowned Class 4A champions, who defeated No. 2 Lake Stevens, 44-7, in the state championship game Saturday night in Tacoma, have been contacted about possibly being selected for the GEICO State Champions Bowl Series in Las Vegas.

This is the same postseason bowl series that 3A powerhouse Eastside Catholic played in for two seasons – in 2018 (17-0 win over Peoria Centennial in Arizona) and in 2019 (53-14 loss to Marietta of Georgia in Las Vegas).

After the Arizona high school championships wrap up this upcoming weekend, the Eagles will find out if they are one of the schools invited for the Dec. 17-18 bowl games held at Bishop Gorman High School.

“It would be great for our program and our kids,” Graham-Kapowsin coach Eric Kurle said. “With the state (of Washington) not doing games on TV anymore, getting an opportunity to play (on ESPN) would be great exposure.”

The Eagles are not only SBLive WA’s No. 1 team in the all-classification rankings, they are in the “Next Beat 10 Teams” in SBLIve Sports’ Power 25 (and have a pretty good chance of moving into the top 25 when the next rankings are released).

Dominic Daste, Eastside Catholic’s third-year coach, said he has encouraged the Graham-Kapowsin coaching staff to take a hard look at accepting a bid, if invited.

“They treated us super great,” Daste said. “The kids ate until they could not eat anymore.

“For us, it was a great look … and helped us because we had talked about being a national brand.”

Daste said after the Crusaders went to Arizona for their first bowl game, players and coaches made it one of their next-season goals to go back.

“It was not hard for them to restart (after winning the 2019 state title),” Daste said.

But Daste said there are a few on-the-fly adjustments playing in the bowl game. For starters, he noted two years ago, his team did not find out it was playing Marietta until a few days before the scheduled tilt, allowing them to hold just one day of practice on campus.

“We practiced Wednesday, left on Thursday – and played Friday,” Daste said.

In the meantime, what are Graham-Kapowsin players doing with this possible bowl game on the horizon in less than two weeks?

“We will work out after a couple days off, but they will also start doing basketball and wrestling,” Kurle said. “If we get selected, we will practice next week.”

If they do go – signs are trending they will – Kurle knows they likely won’t rush for the 524 yards they did in setting a 4A state title-game record Saturday night.

“We might have to throw a little bit,” Kurle said.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

So they didn't run the ball on every down?

Then why did you say that they did?

Oh, I know.

To cover for a milquetoast 24-8 win.

This dude... when you're down by 24 you tend to change up the gameplan. Common sense, please. 

Glad to see this board hasn't changed while I was gone. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ngdawg said:

This dude... when you're down by 24 you tend to change up the gameplan. Common sense, please. 

Glad to see this board hasn't changed while I was gone. 

I continue to shake my head in disappointment with this clown. Some guy says they ran the ball the entire game, so the Guzzlin’ Guru thinks they LITERALLY did run it every play. This idiot STILL can’t understand the concept of exaggeration and read between the lines. Lol

6 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Some guy says they ran the ball the entire game, so the Guzzlin’ Guru thinks they LITERALLY did run it every play.

That's what he literally said.

👇

11 hours ago, ngdawg said:

Milton ran the ball on every play and gained like 3 yards each time with an empty play clock. 

So Omaha Vol lies about what ngdawg said and then gets mad at me for reporting what he said accurately.

This is typical behavior from him.

He hates accuracy.

27 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

It keeps getting better.

Omaha Vol purposefully exaggerates and needs people to read between the lines of what he says because he's incapable of making his points otherwise. 

If you couldn’t see that he DID NOT literally mean Milton ran the ball every single play then explaining shit to you is a lost cause. Of course they passed the ball when they got behind two scores. It’s the state championship game you idiot. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

If you couldn’t see that he DID NOT literally mean Milton ran the ball every single play then explaining shit to you is a lost cause.

He actually said, word-for-word, that they ran the ball on every single play.

Now I'm supposed to babysit these morons and invent my own meaning. No calls for people to mean what they say. Nope. Omaha Vol wants us to make it up.

16 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Of course they passed the ball when they got behind two scores. It’s the state championship game you idiot. 

Then why didn't Collins Hill start dominating when they changed their game plan that ngdawg claimed was the sole reason they weren't dominating?

I'm sure ngdawg will have another excuse that makes no sense just like before.

4 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

You need to learn how to decipher between literal and common sense, you simpleton. 

If someone says that a team didn't dominate because the opponent ran the ball on every play, but they didn't, the issue is not with me. It's with that person.

You spend an awful lot of time defending dumbassery around here.

1 minute ago, dntn31 said:

I may have missed it, but is there a reason some of the FL championships aren't being held until next weekend?

They split sites between small schools and large schools. So small schools this week and large schools next week.

The did the same thing in 2019 but it worked out that there was an extra week before Christmas so the big schools could participate in the Geico Bowl.

I agree that if the state is going to participate in this event then they need to work out the dates better.

• Thanks 2