Geico Participants

FootballGuy

10 hours ago, old_e said:

What happened to SFA?

They would have been a good matchup with CH.

Why does SFA get any run? They played 9 games and lost to the one of the only two truly good teams on their schedule in STA. SFA should not be ranked nearly as high as they are. 

And the Geico games are trash. Chaminade Madonna is not a very good team offensively. If that team from AZ has a sophisticated passing game, they can stay in the game or win. CM's defense is sick, but their offense is average. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

Tom Collins Hill vs Gram-Kungpowshrimp

I like the match-up , hell I might even watch it.  Two actual homegrown state champions that's what I am talking about. yeah I know about the WPB kid but he is a legit move in so it's cool. I would be more skeptical if he went from WPB to Grayson that's for sure.

I love the matchup but it’s supposed to set up games that can decide a national championship. I don’t think anyone believes that these teams are the best in the country. Although Collins Hill looks pretty good.

54 minutes ago, 181pl said:

I love the matchup but it’s supposed to set up games that can decide a national championship. 

Who ever said that? GEICO hasn't.. just supposed to be a showcase of state champions vs each other. Besides there is no such thing as a High School National Champion. It's some made up shit websites and bloggers came up with to sell clicks and adds. You know to make money off these kids and whacky fan boys. They are just Bowl games nothing more

The State Champions Bowl Series allows high school football champions from different states to play against each other in post-season bowl games televised on ESPNU

POSITION STATEMENT ON NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

The NFHS does not support, nor sanction, national school team competition that leads to a champion that may be perceived by the media and others to be a national champion in an athletic event. The NFHS recognizes that entrepreneurs, for-profit corporations, and others may choose to invite schools and/ or individual athletes to participate in competition which may include representatives from a number of different states. Whether or not the NFHS sanctioning policy may apply to such events, the NFHS suggests that invited schools and athletes exercise due diligence before choosing to participate. The NFHS endorses and supports tournaments promulgated by member state associations which provide a culminating activity for student-athletes in sports sponsored by individual state high school athletic and activity associations
  • Thanks 1

I personally would rather see these games be played in the regular season and have the top teams go at it. 

The state associations each get $50,000 plus the money it cost to get all these teams to Vegas. That’s a shit ton of money. 

They can make some marquee matchups that everyone wants to see. Powerhouse teams who don’t win state are sometimes better teams and much better draws for TV than champs from Washington, Utah or Arizona. 

I would rather see Collins Hill vs Westlake TX on week 1 than Collins Hill vs Kapowow Washington on week 17

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldTerrapin said:

Tom Collins Hill vs Gram-Kungpowshrimp

I like the match-up , hell I might even watch it.  Two actual homegrown state champions that's what I am talking about. yeah I know about the WPB kid but he is a legit move in so it's cool. I would be more skeptical if he went from WPB to Grayson that's for sure.

Haha, I'm not exactly sure about the two teams you mention here. But, I actually am cautiously optimistic about this being a good matchup. I'm sometimes a sucker for teams that blow through their competition. These two teams have both done that and so seeing them clash will be of interest. If those more familiar with (not Tom) Collins Hill are correct and they are overrated, then I think the school from Washington may win the game. Let's face it, teams from western states not named California have won many-far more than expected, anyway- impressive OOS games vs. teams from power states.

Examples:

- STA winning competitive games vs. Bingham (it really was competitive if you consider the full game objectively) and St. Louis while getting shut out by a team from Peoria, AZ.

- Bishop Gorman's many wins and good showings

- Miami Northwestern getting blown out by Chandler

- Bellevue blowing out DLS to end the streak

- Bingham traveling to south Florida and playing unbeaten state champ Miami BTW close

There could be more I'm forgetting.  It seems likely teams from those states tend to be undersold and underrated. 

7 minutes ago, OldTerrapin said:

More from this guy.. 🤡 lol

I know one thing we better see Mater Dei on Tom Collins Hill schedule next year.. Mater Dei always needs some games..

Dude has the top player in the country fall in his lap now he wants to talk shit.. classic 

Just think this team wouldn’t even of made the playoffs if there was shit to do in West Palm Beach. 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 181pl said:

Why does SFA get any run? They played 9 games and lost to the one of the only two truly good teams on their schedule in STA. SFA should not be ranked nearly as high as they are. 

And the Geico games are trash. Chaminade Madonna is not a very good team offensively. If that team from AZ has a sophisticated passing game, they can stay in the game or win. CM's defense is sick, but their offense is average. 

I too wasn't impressed with CM's offense in the 3A title matchup (21-0 0ver Berkeley Prep-Tampa). The soph QB looks athletic, but needs aging. Their "D" is loaded with D-1's.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Man, your ability to be as misleading as humanly possible is really something.

The Bingham game offered the illusion of a blowout because the score was lopsided for most of the game. But, at 13-0, Bingham was at the STA 1 yard-line and there was the fumble which was scooped up and taken 99 yards for a TD the other way. 14 point play. STA won by 8 points. Bingham had more yards in the second half than STA had all game. Bottom line is, that was a competitive game when most of us assumed it would be a laugher.

St. Louis was competitive as well. Solid margin for STA, but not a laugher of a game, either.

A shutout is when you score zero points. That's the total for STA vs. Centennial. 

😀

42 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The Bingham game offered the illusion of a blowout because the score was lopsided for most of the game. But, at 13-0, Bingham was at the STA 1 yard-line and there was the fumble which was scooped up and taken 99 yards for a TD the other way. 14 point play. STA won by 8 points. Bingham had more yards in the second half than STA had all game. Bottom line is, that was a competitive game when most of us assumed it would be a laugher.

It was 30-0 one play into the 4th quarter.

43 minutes ago, badrouter said:

A shutout is when you score zero points. That's the total for STA vs. Centennial. 

Your dishonesty is in claiming that certain schools were seeming underdogs who were against it and played close games.

• The Bingham game was not close but regardless they were an undefeated (14-0) state champion who had competed in national games before.
  • St. Louis was also an undefeated (12-0) state champion who had competed in national games before.
  • Bishop Gorman is a national program and doesn't qualify.
  • Bellevue beat a bad DLS team that had 3 losses to 2 ties.
  • Chandler was playing in their home state and was favored by double digits.

5 minutes ago, RedZone said:

The fact that so few states care about this event is pretty telling.....this might be the last year.

It's in their (State Athletic Association) by laws and rules with spelled out sports seasons and dates. Being most of them are state funded it would take two years to even do the research, prove it would be a benefit to all students some how, get enough people on board to even present the change and get it voted in. Simply not happening in most states.

40 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Deerfield Beach looked good getting off the bus against St Joes Regional, then reality kicked in. Same when Bergen came down to play Grayson. Grayson looked like national champs in shirts and shorts. Don’t count Highland out yet. 

Comparing any of those 4 schools to Highland is comical.

• Haha 1