Graham-Kapowsin further demonstrates the "Mythical" in MNC

badrouter

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

This is just as stupid as when the genius Craig Haubert said, on Friday night, that if he was a college program and could only pick one state to recruit in he'd pick Georgia.

Of course he'd never win a national championship with that strategy but maybe that was his goal?

Since I did not hear the context and rational behind his statement, I will reserve judgment.  Can you explain to us his thinking behind this statement?

Even without knowing the details, there is nothing that strikes me as stupid about that statement.  The best strategy?  Can't say.  Some people claim Florida has the best hs football talent.  In terms of skill players, they have got a case.  But I can't field a great college team with just skill players.

For the amount of talent it produces, FL is somewhat lagging when it comes to producing qb's and lineman who excel at the Power 5 level.  If anyone doubts me, look at starting rosters from all  Power 5 schools and it becomes evident.  One could argue that Georgia produces as good or better overall talent across all of the positions than Florida.  And I am making that statement not just from staring at a computer screen.  I spent years working in each state and evaluating players with my own eyes.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

Virginia has produced more NFL Hall of Famers than Alabama.  Would we use that information to claim that Virginia has better football players than Alabama?  Of course not.  But that is no different than what people do when they use a handful of OOS games to make claims about a state's hs football prowess.     

That is actually *very* different.

The equivalent of using Hall of Fame players would be using OOS results from 1970 to argue that one state is better than another.

But nobody is doing that.

6 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

Since I did not hear the context and rational behind his statement, I will reserve judgment.  Can you explain to us his thinking behind this statement?

What context is missing? Craig Haubert is the recruiting director for ESPN. He said if was forced to only recruit in one state he would pick Georgia.

That's preposterous.

10 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

Some people claim Florida has the best hs football talent.  In terms of skill players, they have got a case.  But I can't field a great college team with just skill players.

Florida has produced the vast majority of the rosters of at least 11 national championship teams since 1983.

Unless they had skill players lining up on the defensive and offensive lines I'd say that they produce enough players, in general, to win championships.

12 minutes ago, OldCoach said:

For the amount of talent it produces, FL is somewhat lagging when it comes to producing qb's and lineman who excel at the Power 5 level.

👇

Just now, Atticus Finch said:

Florida has produced the vast majority of the rosters of at least 11 national championship teams since 1983.

Unless they had skill players lining up on the defensive and offensive lines I'd say that they produce enough players, in general, to win championships.

12 hours ago, cnd123 said:

I get this is all subjective, but look at it this way: Georgia is a top 5 state for quality of high school football teams. Id personally rank the states like this:

1. California
  2. Texas
  3. Florida
  4. Georgia
  5. Ohio

I would have Ohio and Louisiana tied.

I believe that most years our Privates could play with Ohio's Privates....would be some good games.

and, I believe our Publics are slightly better than Ohio's Public's most years.

.....per capita Ohio cannot match Louisiana in talent. We are slowly catching Ohio in NFL production as well. Couple more years if nothing changes drastically we may pass Ohio in that department.

5 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

The vast majority of a roster being produced by that state.

I assume either or both of the 1990 Georgia Tech roster was a vast majority Georgian.

But that's it.

•  

I happen to be very familiar with the Clemson team that won the 2019 National Championship.   

Directly below is the breakdown by state of origin of Clemson starters on that team.  Further below I list where individual players are from.  Note, only 1 player from FL and none from Texas or CA.  If you analyze Alabama rosters, you will see a similar trend. 

South Carolina-10

Georgia-8

North Carolina-3

Tennessee-2

Virginia-2

Alabama-1

Florida-1

Kansas-1

Louisiana-1

Maryland-1

Massachusetts-1

Pennsylvania-1

CLEMSON OFFENSE

Trevor Lawrence/5* QB-Georgia

Travis Etienne/4* RB-Louisiana

Tavien Feaster/4* RB-South Carolina

Adam Choice/4* RB-Georgia

Hunter Renfrow/WR-South Carolina (no rating)

Derion Kendrick/5* WR-South Carolina

Trevion Thompson/4* WR-North Carolina

Diondre Overton/4* WR-North Carolina

Tee Higgins/5* WR-Tennessee

Amari Rodgers/4* WR-Tennessee

Justyn Ross/4* WR-Alabama

Mitch Hyatt/5* LT-Georgia

John Simpson/4* LG-South Carolina

Justin Falcinelli/3* OC-Maryland

Gage Cervenka/3* RG-South Carolina

Tremayne Anchrum/3* RT-Georgia

Richard Milan/4* TE-Georgia

CLEMSON DEFENSE

Clelin Ferrell/4* DE-Virginia

Christian Wilkins/5* DT-Massachusetts

Albert Huggins/4* DT-South Carolina

Austin Bryant/4* DE-Georgia

Isaiah Simmons/3*SLB-Kansas 

Tre Lamar/4* MLB-Georgia

Kendall Joseph/3* ILB-South Carolina

AJ Terrell/4* CB-Georgia

K'Von Wallace/3* SS-Virginia

Tanner Muse/3* FS-North Carolina

Trayvon Mullen/4* CB-Florida

CLEMSON SPECIAL TEAMS

Will Spiers/P-South Carolina

Greg Huegel/PK-South Carolina

Patrick Phibbs/LS-Pennsylvania (walk-on)

BT Potter/3* KO-South Carolina

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I would have Ohio and Louisiana tied.

I believe that most years our Privates could play with Ohio's Privates....would be some good games.

and, I believe our Publics are slightly better than Ohio's Public's most years.

.....per capita Ohio cannot match Louisiana in talent. We are slowly catching Ohio in NFL production as well. Couple more years if nothing changes drastically we may pass Ohio in that department.

Ohio has Cincinnati and Cleveland as their primary prep football cities maybe some Columbus, but you don't hear much about Columbus high school football.

Louisiana has NOLA, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and Shreveport as our primary prep football cities.

It's a wash, in my opinion.

23 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

You seem to be awfully clueless for someone who claims to be in the business.

OK.  Well, obviously it would be a waste of your time to exchange with a clueless person, so I expect you won't be responding to my posts anymore.  I don't judge the wisdom of people I meet over a computer screen. I am here to have fun and share. 

• Like 1

• I happen to be very familiar with the Clemson team that won the 2019 National Championship.   

They didn't win the 2019 national championship.

• Directly below is the breakdown by state of origin of Clemson starters on that team.  Further below I list where individual players are from.  Note, only 1 player from FL and none from Texas or CA.  If you analyze Alabama rosters, you will see a similar trend. 

South Carolina-10

Georgia-8

North Carolina-3

Tennessee-2

Virginia-2

Alabama-1

Florida-1

Kansas-1

Louisiana-1

Maryland-1

Massachusetts-1

Pennsylvania-1

CLEMSON OFFENSE

Trevor Lawrence/5* QB-Georgia

Travis Etienne/4* RB-Louisiana

Tavien Feaster/4* RB-South Carolina

Adam Choice/4* RB-Georgia

Hunter Renfrow/WR-South Carolina (no rating)

Derion Kendrick/5* WR-South Carolina

Trevion Thompson/4* WR-North Carolina

Diondre Overton/4* WR-North Carolina

Tee Higgins/5* WR-Tennessee

Amari Rodgers/4* WR-Tennessee

Justyn Ross/4* WR-Alabama

Mitch Hyatt/5* LT-Georgia

John Simpson/4* LG-South Carolina

Justin Falcinelli/3* OC-Maryland

Gage Cervenka/3* RG-South Carolina

Tremayne Anchrum/3* RT-Georgia

Richard Milan/4* TE-Georgia

CLEMSON DEFENSE

Clelin Ferrell/4* DE-Virginia

Christian Wilkins/5* DT-Massachusetts

Albert Huggins/4* DT-South Carolina

Austin Bryant/4* DE-Georgia

Isaiah Simmons/3*SLB-Kansas 

Tre Lamar/4* MLB-Georgia

Kendall Joseph/3* ILB-South Carolina

AJ Terrell/4* CB-Georgia

K'Von Wallace/3* SS-Virginia

Tanner Muse/3* FS-North Carolina

Trayvon Mullen/4* CB-Florida

CLEMSON SPECIAL TEAMS

Will Spiers/P-South Carolina

Greg Huegel/PK-South Carolina

Patrick Phibbs/LS-Pennsylvania (walk-on)

BT Potter/3* KO-South Carolina

So you picked one team that didn't have a majority of it's players from Georgia.

And you tried to drag Florida into this, why?

Funny, I went all the way back to Clemson's other recent national championship team (2016) and found several Florididans.

Artavis Scott

Deon Cain

Ray-Ray McCLoud

Jordan Leggett

Trayvon Mullen

Basically, 4 of their top 6 pass catchers.

Not that it matters. None of this is relevant to what you claimed.

23 hours ago, RedZone said:

Ohio has Cincinnati and Cleveland as their primary prep football cities maybe some Columbus, but you don't hear much about Columbus high school football.

Louisiana has NOLA, Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and Shreveport as our primary prep football cities.

It's a wash, in my opinion.

With the level of talent I've seen come out Louisiana, I suspect there are some smaller, public schools there that, in the right year and on the right night, playing in their backyard, could give fits to comparably sized public schools from any state in the US.  ...or maybe better.  I would imagine in any one year there are some lesser known LA teams who could challenge one of the big Atlanta schools, especially if playing in their back yard.

I think it's difficult to compare a state like Louisiana to Georgia or Florida.  LA has 30 schools with student populations of 1500 or more.  GA has about 170 and FL has about 350.  AL, MS and LA are loaded with individual talent, but because the bulk of their high schools are "small," one will likely never see these states producing many nationally ranked teams.  That absence of nationally-ranked teams is in no way a reflection of the prowess of football in that state.  I once visited Monroe and that sure is one football crazy town.  

Some of the big cities in Ohio have experienced substantial population losses.  I would imagine that they have lost a proportionate amount of hsfb talent over the years.  It's sad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OldCoach said:

With the level of talent I've seen come out Louisiana, I suspect there are some smaller, public schools there that, in the right year and on the right night, playing in their backyard, could give fits to comparably sized public schools from any state in the US.  ...or maybe better.

Wow.

What a bold statement!

11 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

It was illogical probably because that "#1 team" had also lost to another school by 20.

The 14,000 argument is a conjuring trick.

Pops struggles with this stuff because he thinks that an average high school team would, therefore, be ranked around 7,000.

But in reality a 7,000-ranked team is terrible.

You would be like the 6’5” guy that thinks the 6’4” guy is short, except you’re not really the 6’5” guy, but just his spokesman that the 6’5” guy finds embarrassing 

21 hours ago, OldCoach said:

Some of the big cities in Ohio have experienced substantial population losses.  I would imagine that they have lost a proportionate amount of hsfb talent over the years.  It's sad.

I like Ohio football and watch a couple of their games every year. I just think our high schools here match up in size with the Ohio high schools.

Ohio doesn't have any high schools with enrollments of 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000 and even 7000 students like Texas. 

Springfield, OH, who played St Edward for the Ohio D1 Title this year has an enrollment of 1700. That's Louisiana size. I don't see why we couldn't deal with that.  Colerain has an enrollment of just under 1800.... and etc

Louisiana is a TINY state, people just don't know how small it is. WE have more alligators than people here, nah> just kidding about that.

We do have over over 2 million alligators here though, some say more. Only 4.6 million people.

• Like 1