2022 HS Track and Field

Wooderson

Someone say hurdles ?  Don't forget the short lived 180yrd Low Hurdles

National Record- 18.1, FHSAA- 19.2, Me- 21. ?

Mainland High 1972 preseason :  Hopefully a "coach" corrected my technique before the first meet. Right elbow is at least 90 degrees off.....

My best (all hand timed in yards only) 50-5.6, 100- 10.2, 220-22.5, 440-50.0 

IMG_20220301_192229790_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.fd57547c3e6b80662b6cba0670ddf942.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

Someone say hurdles ?  Don't forget the short lived 180yrd Low Hurdles

National Record- 18.1, FHSAA- 19.2, Me- 21. ?

Mainland High 1972 preseason :  Hopefully a "coach" corrected my technique before the first meet. Right elbow is at least 90 degrees off.....

My best (all hand timed in yards only) 50-5.6, 100- 10.2, 220-22.5, 440-50.0 

IMG_20220301_192229790_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.fd57547c3e6b80662b6cba0670ddf942.jpg

Great share and nice wheels back in the day.   

50/100/220/440  :)   Fun memories (440 was never fun for me, never! lol) 

• Like 1

First full weekend of invitationals this week, with my Coyotes hanging out in my hometown at the 66th annual Buckeye Lions Club Invitational. More than 30 teams from the westside of Phoenix will be there. Peoria Liberty will likely put on a clinic in the 400, with state runner-up Jordan Guevara (48.44) and state finalist Jordan Grimm (49.98) back. I would love to attend but domestic duties call; wife's cousin's kid is having his first birthday so we'll be preoccupied with that.

Back to the topic of the 400-meter on the westside of Phoenix, this is in the afterglow of the pinnacle of my athletic achievement with the rest of the region champ 4x400 squad. Right hand side of pic are both Florida transplants, which I'm sure was the secret to our success 🙂

20220304_065707.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@golfaddict1

Here is Dville running a 40.42 over a week ago.  This past week they lowered that national leading time to a 40.28.  That time this early in the Season would have beat Cedar Hills 40.47 that won State Last Year.  Also watch out for Allen who has been getting faster they have a 40.66.  Ruston, La props to them for running with the Big Boys.  This was not all our elite either.  But a good group in terrible weather.   They have went from 41.15 to 40.28 in a matter of weeks.  The Texas Relays coming up should be fire.  Hopefully some of the Florida and Cali Teams come. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DevilDog said:

@golfaddict1

Here is Dville running a 40.42 over a week ago.  This past week they lowered that national leading time to a 40.28.  That time this early in the Season would have beat Cedar Hills 40.47 that won State Last Year.  Also watch out for Allen who has been getting faster they have a 40.66.  Ruston, La props to them for running with the Big Boys.  This was not all our elite either.  But a good group in terrible weather.   They have went from 41.15 to 40.28 in a matter of weeks.  The Texas Relays coming up should be fire.  Hopefully some of the Florida and Cali Teams come. 

D-Ville 💨 dang!  

Thanks DD.  Was the top 100m seed running that anchor?  The announcers weren’t sure.  

Fort Bend Ridge Point’s anchor looked smooth.  

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Nothing to see here, just a 14-year old strolling to a sub-50 400, presumably while taking a break from Fortnight or whatever else 14-year olds do.

Nice frame the kid has with long strides and he kept his form to the end.  👍🏻

I noticed just tonight that Sebastian Coe is part of a group bid for the Chelsea FC.  What a talented runner he was.   @BigDrop    

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Nice frame the kid has with long strides and he kept his form to the end.  👍🏻

I noticed just tonight that Sebastian Coe is part of a group bid for the Chelsea FC.  What a talented runner he was.   @BigDrop    

Yes, and his fellow country men Steve Cram and Steve Ovett weren't too bad either at the middle distances in the late 70's early 80's. By the mid 80's we didn't hear any more of past era's racist thought on "fast (black) and slow (white) twitch muscles." Kip Keino led the tidal wave of African brothers in blowing up that garbage once and for all....

Being a track thread, here's my 2cent opinion on America's demise above a 1000m. It starts in high school then college coaching takes it to the next level. It's all about points and winning meets. Save yourself you've got other events. So instead of running the event everything is "Strategic." Plod along slowly as a group, then see who has the best kick. It's a bull$hit strategy for losers. I love watching the summer Diamond League events. They generally have a pacer ($$$) who goes out strong. The competition in distance running is brutal every week. Always a new young face looking to make a mark and earn some money. And that's how you get faster... running not thinking.      

14 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

Yes, and his fellow country men Steve Cram and Steve Ovett weren't too bad either at the middle distances in the late 70's early 80's. By the mid 80's we didn't hear any more of past era's racist thought on "fast (black) and slow (white) twitch muscles." Kip Keino led the tidal wave of African brothers in blowing up that garbage once and for all....

Being a track thread, here's my 2cent opinion on America's demise above a 1000m. It starts in high school then college coaching takes it to the next level. It's all about points and winning meets. Save yourself you've got other events. So instead of running the event everything is "Strategic." Plod along slowly as a group, then see who has the best kick. It's a bull$hit strategy for losers. I love watching the summer Diamond League events. They generally have a pacer ($$$) who goes out strong. The competition in distance running is brutal every week. Always a new young face looking to make a mark and earn some money. And that's how you get faster... running not thinking.      

I dig the Diamond league events.  Can’t really comment on the middle distance and longer races.  I defer to @Wooderson :)  I enjoy the events but strategy wise and all I’m not too well versed.  Seems many times the winners lay back and just rip at the end by timing it ideally.

2 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

They would have ran under 40 if they had the anchor on the 2nd place team for sure.  Wow!  @BUFORDGAWOLVES

Buford QB at the top.  

That's Texas Fast.  Has to be the fastest time ran by a U.S. High School outside Texas.  Texas also has a record that will never be broken.  Back when the 440yd Relay was ran before the 4x100m.  Dallas Lincoln ran a 40.2 and holds the HS National 440 yd relay Record.  That's PVIL History right there.  They ran that in 1970.   Buford Ga  has joined Rare elite 4X100m.  They need to come to the TX Relays and run against Dville and our elite. 

• Like 3