OT-Biggest Omission from History Books

AztecPadre

4 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Come on guys, history is what they tell us it is. Kids today don't know about slavery, the civil war, WWI or WWII, Korea, Viet Nam. Civil rights. None of this is taught anymore. History is what the government tells the schools to teach.

its about teaching to the state testing and such. nothing more nothing less

1 hour ago, thc6795 said:
39 minutes ago, legendsofthefall said:

One of many days I presume lol I graduated in 95 and barely learned about the Japanese internment camps in California as well. It was a footnote in class one day, I think lol

Had 'em out here in Colorado too. Way out East by the Kansas border. It was a 'relocation center'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thc6795 said:

Kids today don't know about slavery, the civil war, WWI or WWII, Korea, Viet Nam. Civil rights. None of this is taught anymore.

Not an accurate statement at all. My kids, my nieces and nephews, all their friends, my friend's kids...they all were taught these topics. And those who paid attention absolutely know about these (maybe not as in depth regarding the Korean War, but all of the others for sure).

4 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Not an accurate statement at all. My kids, my nieces and nephews, all their friends, my friend's kids...they all were taught these topics. And those who paid attention absolutely know about these (maybe not as in depth regarding the Korean War, but all of the others for sure).

how old are your kids?

9 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

a lot has changed in 10 yrs. Go open a 7th grade history book in Texas look up civil war. You may be surprised.

I don't believe the Civil War is not taught in Texas.

Just like choosing a school district for our children, based on reputation, results, etc., if certain basic topics aren't covered, I would make sure they were enrolled elsewhere. If that means moving, I'd move. A significant factor in where we looked for housing had to do with the schools.

And if you feel an entire state is purposely withholding historic topics that are included everywhere else in the country, well, that's a disservice to your kid's to hang around.

My son is in college now so he was taught, although he went to grade school in UT. But today in Texas kids are taught that the civil war happened because of Sectionalism, State rights and then Slavery. In that order. So I stand corrected kids are taught the information. The information provided them is incorrect.

6 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Come on guys, history is what they tell us it is. Kids today don't know about slavery, the civil war, WWI or WWII, Korea, Viet Nam. Civil rights. None of this is taught anymore. History is what the government tells the schools to teach.

But every home is a schoolhouse as well... What does yours teach? 

NM... Don't answer that. I change my mind. Don't wanna know. 

Anyway, the schoolbooks are only so large, and the school year is only so long. There is little choice but to condense history, and emphasize what is deemed most important. A lot of this is based upon the teacher as well. Can't really blame that wholly on the government. 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:57 PM, AztecPadre said:

For me no doubt was the japanese concentration camps during world war 2.  I never heard about these during any of my american history classes in school.  It wasn't until the late 90's when our local Monterey Herald did a story on the locals that were interred. Along with what happened in Detroit too.  Any others?

wow...what kinda shit ass school did you go to....we learned about this as well the holocaust in catholic grade school....scary

On 8/8/2017 at 7:16 AM, Drummer61 said:

AngelinaJolie made a movie about this not to long ago...The soldier who helped her with it and survived the camp mentioned recently died...He also said that the camp commander in the the move was NOT nearly as brutal as the real one..No,history is no longer taught with honesty in the govt school system...Kid todayknow very little and can be easily manipulated....and they are....IE.....who was the only lady hung by the US govt and why ??? Don't look it up.....see if any of you know the answer,don't cheat as I say nobody knows.. Ask a kid who killed Abe Lincoln or who was Boston Corbett...

With respect, I would not consider Angelina Jolie as the most objective movie maker.