Dabo Swinney calls out Big Ten/Ohio St

ATLien12x

During a radio interview with WCCP-FM's Walt Deptula on Monday, Swinney said he doesn't watch many Big Ten games during the season but felt the conference was overrated after watching Ohio State in preparation for the bowl game.

"Go back to last year. We're trying to figure out a way to put four Big Ten teams in the playoff," Swinney said. "And I didn't pay no attention to the Big Ten. You just kind of buy it (the Big Ten hype), right? That's just what's out there. And then we get ready to play Ohio State and I start watching the tape, I watch every single game and I go in and tell our guys, I'm like, 'Boys, these guys are in trouble.' I mean, I've watched the whole league, I've gone through the whole league both sides, these guys are in trouble. And that's exactly what happened."

The Fiesta Bowl was Ohio State's first shutout in any game since 1993. As a whole, the Big Ten went just 3-7 in last year's bowl games, including losses in New Year's Six games by Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan.

• Like 2

Sure, he says this all in hindsight. He surely wasn't saying it before the game. Nor was he saying it in 2014 or 2015 when OSU would have rolled them.

The Buckeyes lost last season's game because of their offense, specifically JT Barrett, who was pretty bad for most the season. They just couldn't throw the ball at all. But their defense hung in pretty well until wearing down because the offense couldn't stay on the field. With the defensive front the Buckeyes have returning this season, I'm pretty sure it's Dabo's team that will be in trouble should they meet again.

I will agree with Dabo that the B10 was overrated last season, but so is Clemson most years.-- so what's the point? Besides, one season doesn't set a standard. The Buckeyes have been pretty legit since Urban got there in 2012, Michigan State and Wisconsin are typically solid programs, and both Michigan and Penn State have been on the rise.

Dabo is acting as if his program is Alabama and his conference is the SEC of the past 20 years. I think recent success has gone to his head.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

The football in the SEC and ACC differs from that of many leagues. Maybe it is the southern thing.

This is pretty funny considering that the ACC has been just ok for about all of 15 minutes. Other than FSU, who has been consistently good beyond a couple of seasons?? NC State, Wake, Syracuse and BC are never relevant,  Louisville hasn't ever done anything significant, and Clemson hadn't been a serious threat until the past 3-4 seasons. I realize that the B10 was down for a number of years, but they still have more good teams than the ACC.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

So all in all, you think the big ten is better top to bottom?

Top to bottom, that's tough to say. And the answer could vary from season to season. Both have some consistently awful teams.

If we're talking this upcoming season and say the previous 2, I believe the B10 has been better 1-5. Who really cares which bottom dwelling teams are better? I certainly don't.

5 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

Could be. He said the Big 10 had better teams and though I did not make a claim, I feel opposite, given the argument. I think it is a different brand of football. 

I said that other than FSU, none of the ACC's programs have been consistently good or a major threat. Clemson's only been that team for about 3-4 seasons. Miami hasn't seriously been good in a long, long while. The other programs are meh. Pitt, Louisville and Va Tech are really good here and there.

To me, I'd say the B10 has been OSU, MSU and Wisconsin while the ACC has really only been FSU and Clemson. If Michigan ever gets it figured out, the scales will lean pretty heavily in the B10's favor. I'm not counting on Penn State maintaining what they did last season over the long haul, but if they do -- it won't even be a worthwhile comparison anymore.

20 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

I said that other than FSU, none of the ACC's programs have been consistently good or a major threat. Clemson's only been that team for about 3-4 seasons. Miami hasn't seriously been good in a long, long while. The other programs are meh. Pitt, Louisville and Va Tech are really good here and there.

To me, I'd say the B10 has been OSU, MSU and Wisconsin while the ACC has really only been FSU and Clemson. If Michigan ever gets it figured out, the scales will lean pretty heavily in the B10's favor. I'm not counting on Penn State maintaining what they did last season over the long haul, but if they do -- it won't even be a worthwhile comparison anymore.

Uhhhh Michigan state went 3-9 last year and Wisconsin never wins important games 

1 hour ago, Sportsnut said:

Could be. He said the Big 10 had better teams and though I did not make a claim

2 hours ago, Sportsnut said:

It just seems as if they play a little slow. They just seem to be playing the game different. The football in the SEC and ACC differs from that of many leagues. Maybe it is the southern thing. Maybe our style of play is different in our eyes. We know fast and physical. 

Huh?

Dabo Fucking Swiney is calling out tOSU? 

Hold up... 

First off Clemsons old average ass wasnt shit before he got that job. Now you wanna call us out?! We've long since been where Clemsom has been.  Everybody has a bad game. 

OSU has seen more success than Clemson will ever dream of.  

And soon enough Clemsons 15 minutes of fame will be up. 

Oh and to top that off. 

The ACC? 

The Fuck Ok I'll admit the Big10 aint that great. 

But the ACC? 

Miami?- Its not the 90s or early 2000's anymore.... Al Golden did some serious damage there... 

North Carolina-Is making strides give them some time. 

FSU-The ACC golden Boy... 

Georgia Tech-Average at best. 

Virginia-Disaster...  

VT- Decent. 

NC State-Ha....Ha... Ha... Dont make me laugh 

Wake Forest-They're still around? 

Louisville-Good

Clemson-Good 

Pittsburgh-Average..... 

• Like 1

Ohio State had a sub-standard o-line last year.  It was the root of their struggles against other top programs.

No o-line means no running and no passing. The Clemson game showed that in neon lights.

The Bucks' will do fine if there is big improvement there, but I'm not convinced this year will see it happen. They've started bringing in some stellar recruits but they could be a year or two away.

• Like 2

Dabo talks too much and worries too much about what others say.  Spurrier used to own space in his head.  He is an excellent recruiter and motivator who has had an outstanding run of talent recently - much from Florida.  Almost Ole Miss like.  He is an OK X's and O's coach who has hired excellent coordinators that Clemson has paid extremely well.  And when you are in the ACC, stone-throwing at other conferences is silly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Dabo talks too much and worries too much about what others say.  Spurrier used to own space in his head.  He is an excellent recruiter and motivator who has had an outstanding run of talent recently - much from Florida.  Almost Ole Miss like.  He is an OK X's and O's coach who has hired excellent coordinators that Clemson has paid extremely well.  And when you are in the ACC, stone-throwing at other conferences is silly.

i hope he brings that attitude when he takes over for saban when saban retires

Just saying that the life of a big time college coach can be short lived at the top. Dabo might have some bad losing seasons and everyone that loved him will want to fire him. And you want him to take over for Saban. Be careful what you wish for.

I used to want ND to fire Holtz every time they lost a game (LOL). Now look at the program 4 coaches later. What's hot today can be very cool tomorrow. Saban will be nearly impossible to replace with the incredible success he's had. 

Just now, aZjimbo said:

Just saying that the life of a big time college coach can be short lived at the top. Dabo might have some bad losing seasons and everyone that loved him will want to fire him. And you want him to take over for Saban. Be careful what you wish for.

I used to want ND to fire Holtz every time they lost a game (LOL). Now look at the program 4 coaches later. What's hot today can be very cool tomorrow. Saban will be nearly impossible to replace with the incredible success he's had. 

Im not saying I want Saban gone at all. I hope hes around for the next 10 years. But im just saying as Dabo is an Alabama Alumn it would make sense that hes the heir apparent