Gorman could see two TL teams in '22

HurricaneNick

7 minutes ago, RedZone said:

mater dei's first OOS game was in 1991.......their next one was 16 years later in 2007 vs American Fork, UT.

Does STA still have their history page. I can look it up, but can't seem to find the page.

1991 (13-1-0) CIF CHAMPIONS

Mater Dei Score Opponent Opponent Score
34 Hawaii Iolani 20
27 Capistrano Valley 21
47 St. Paul 9
17 Santa Ana 3
27 Riverside 14
42 Mission Viejo 7
35 St. John Bosco 7
44 Servite 0
20 Loyola 28
24 Bishop Amat 6
34 Quartz Hill 8
46 Fontana 16
35 Loyola 21
35 Eisenhower 14

Use Massey Caj for all STA opponents.  There’s a nice tool there where you can pull a list of records vs every opponent.  
I’ve checked it often in the past.  MD will be there as well as all the powers records vs every opponent.   I forget what year it goes back to though.   

16 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Monsignor place, Cooper City, and western! Hell yeah! 

I'm tempted to mock Monsignor "Place" but I'll stick to the substance on this one.

Let's see.

Before 2021, STA hadn't played Monsignor Pace, period, since 1981.

They haven't played Cooper City in a non-league game since 1972.

Western was a top 300 team (2019) and top 500 team (2021) the last two times STA played them. So the equivalent of overrated-by-calpreps #162 La Mirada was in 2016.

I don't see the equivalence especially since people seem to think STA plays weak schedules and Mater Dei plays killer ones.

9 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Were their schools playing elite teams prior to them being dominant? Or are we only upset at MD for doing that? 

STA played Ohio D1 Finalist Elder in the Herbstreit before winning a single national championship. And have continued to play such games in the last 13 years despite the normal ebbs and flows of team strength.

Their Hall of Fame coach retired and they immediately played preseason #1 Prattville and De La Salle the next season.

12 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I'm tempted to mock Monsignor "Place" but I'll stick to the substance on this one.

Let's see.

Before 2021, STA hadn't played Monsignor Pace, period, since 1981.

They haven't played Cooper City in a non-league game since 1972.

Western was a top 300 team (2019) and top 500 team (2021) the last two times STA played them. So the equivalent of overrated-by-calpreps #162 La Mirada was in 2016.

I don't see the equivalence especially since people seem to think STA plays weak schedules and Mater Dei plays killer ones.

2019 (national champs) 

South Plantation 

Miramar 

Carol city 

Ft Lauderdale 

Mandarin

Bad ass. Teams played in the playoffs weren’t much better. Mater Dei used to schedule upland but the national champion Aquinas raiders only schedules real killers. 💪

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

STA played Ohio D1 Finalist Elder in the Herbstreit before winning a single national championship. And have continued to play such games in the last 13 years despite the normal ebbs and flows of team strength.

Their Hall of Fame coach retired and they immediately played preseason #1 Prattville and De La Salle the next season.

I gave credit for scheduling OOS games. I’m asking if the hall of famer took a regular team Elder or if the team was loaded. 

2 hours ago, RedZone said:

mater dei's first OOS game was in 1991.......their next one was 16 years later in 2007 vs American Fork, UT.

And the next one was in 2017.

So they go decades between their OOS excursions.

I'll grant that those games weren't as common back in the 1990s but Mater Dei was not traversing the country looking for fights until about 5 minutes ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Oh ok. Aquinas went 15-0 and ran the table when they went to Elder. Looks like they had a few NFL guys on the roster too. Why didn’t they schedule national powers before that? 

How many national OOS events like the Herbie were ongoing prior to 2008?  

Elder wasn’t exactly chopped liver and STA traveled to OH.  As I recall, it took awhile for STA to get going, but once they did the game was in hand.  

6 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

2019 (national champs) 

South Plantation 

Miramar 

Carol city 

Ft Lauderdale 

Mandarin

I understand that it's asking too much for Nick to remember the topic but my comment was about *non-league* games.

👇

22 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

I remember not that long ago when their non-league schedule was basically Mayfair, La Mirada and Upland.

Only after they had a "once in a generation team" did they take on all comers.

South Plantation and Fort Lauderdale were district games.

Mandarin was the defending 6A state champion (and was scheduled as a hurricane replacement for Bergen Catholic).

Carol City was probably the best team in Miami in 2018 and was scheduled as a big inter-county clash. They lost their coach and had some turmoil. It happens.

2 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

I understand that it's asking too much for Nick to remember the topic but my comment was about *non-league* games.

👇

Mandarin was the defending 6A state champion (and was scheduled as a hurricane replacement for Bergen Catholic).

Carol City was probably the best team in Miami in 2018 and was scheduled as a big inter-county clash. They lost their coach and had some turmoil. It happens.

Every game on maxpreps is listed as non district for you guys before the playoffs started for that year. My bad.

9 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

I’m asking if the hall of famer took a regular team Elder or if the team was loaded. 

Elder lost in the D1 state championship to St. Ignatius by a touchdown.

The Herbstreit originally scheduled STA to play Middletown and people complained so much that they replaced them with Elder instead.

4 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

How many national OOS events like the Herbie were ongoing prior to 2008?  

Elder wasn’t exactly chopped liver and STA traveled to OH.  As I recall, it took awhile for STA to get going, but once they did the game was in hand.  

I’m not saying elder was chopped liver. I’m saying it’s the same exact reason why Aquinas started going national in ‘08 and MD in ‘17. Teams are stacked. Have to go out and play. 

11 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Oh ok. Aquinas went 15-0 and ran the table when they went to Elder. Looks like they had a few NFL guys on the roster too. Why didn’t they schedule national powers before that? 

The only offers I'm aware of prior to that was 2007 in Odessa, TX that come down to the last minute before it fell apart.

STA hadn't won a state championship since 1999.

The team that they were competing with (Lakeland) was invited to the Herbstreit in 2006.

Basically, they weren't a state champion so they weren't getting any opportunities.

10 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Were their schools playing elite teams prior to them being dominant? Or are we only upset at MD for doing that? 

Of course I respect that they take challenges. They got 19 transfers last year alone and are always stacked. Why wouldn’t they? MD would still play those three he mentioned (just how Aquinas did this year) if we could also get 2-3 strong OOS games a year. When was the first year Aquinas started playing the best from OOS? Were they a regular local Catholic team or were they loaded? Same with Gorman. Why was there a big drop off in their schedule since their loaded national championship teams? Mater Dei played a game at Bishop Gorman high school last year. Too bad the game wasn’t against Bishop Gorman because they chose to play a lesser team in their own event.  Rollo said he didn’t need to take the show on the road until the boys were dominating California and has ducked no challenges since. I don’t see anything wrong with that. 

Unwind your panties.  STA challenges themselves more than MD.  MD won't unless loaded.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

I’m not saying elder was chopped liver. I’m saying it’s the same exact reason why Aquinas started going national in ‘08 and MD in ‘17. Teams are stacked. Have to go out and play. 

I’m just happy national HS football chatter is back.  I just hope @HawgGoneItdoesn’t boot me for posting “national”.  :) 

Anyone who’s into heavyweight tilts, is into a MD-STA game and as a fan of HSFB, I hope it’s soon.  

I was bummed Smith and Toal never got to matchup, but Smith went toe to toe with Castle and we know the results… but there were some very entertaining games and the almost STA comeback on one of them was a wow finish.  That was one wild game.  

@Atticus Finchis right.  When Rivals forum was rocking,  Smith retired and the longtime DC Casullo took over.  Google his father.  STA played in a national event vs Prattville opening game on ESPN… Max Lescano’s awesome TD run.  It wasn’t long lol, but it was impressive.   Also hosted DLS later in the season.  
I was at the DLS game and sitting next to a starting OL’s father (played at Michigan St) and his uncle, who used to post on the Rivals forum   IrishJay.  Nice guys and fam   I hope they’re all doing well.  

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

I’m just happy national HS football chatter is back.  I just hope @HawgGoneItdoesn’t boot me for posting “national”.  :) 

Anyone who’s into heavyweight tilts, is into a MD-STA game and as a fan of HSFB, I hope it’s soon.  

I was bummed Smith and Toal never got to matchup, but Smith went toe to toe with Castle and we know the results… but there were some very entertaining games and the almost STA comeback on one of them was a wow finish.  That was one wild game.  

@Atticus Finchis right.  When Rivals forum was rocking,  Smith retired and the longtime DC Casullo took over.  Google his father.  STA played in a national event vs Prattville opening game on ESPN… Max Lescano’s awesome TD run.  It wasn’t long lol, but it was impressive.   Also hosted DLS later in the season.  
I was at the DLS game and sitting next to a starting OL’s father (played at Michigan St) and his uncle, who used to post on the Rivals forum   IrishJay.  Nice guys and fam   I hope they’re all doing well.  

I like the football talk. All of it. Not just the national stuff. I get a little miffed when folks seem to be discouraging others from entering the conversations or talking about teams not generally recognized as powers. 

I would hope we can encourage all football talk, and don't really mind other sports discussion either. Lax, baseball, track, hoops, etc. I love most all sports. 

Hell I watch bare knuckle brawling and slap contests sometimes these days. Usually better than whats on the boob tube networks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Atticus Finch said:

👇

Mandarin was defending 8A State champs not 6a

They defeated Columbus the year prior to win the title and Columbus has been in the highest classification for years because of their student enrollment being doubled as an all boys private school 

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I like the football talk. All of it. Not just the national stuff. I get a little miffed when folks seem to be discouraging others from entering the conversations or talking about teams not generally recognized as powers. 

I would hope we can encourage all football talk, and don't really mind other sports discussion either. Lax, baseball, track, hoops, etc. I love most all sports. 

Hell I watch bare knuckle brawling and slap contests sometimes these days. Usually better than whats on the boob tube networks. 

Threads for states?  
I started a TX thread somewhere along time ago somewhere else :)  ok days ago lol.  

My suggestion.  Lanes.  

Sticky or thread starter… examples 

OOS chat: 

LA chat:  

GA chat: 

I think the serious fans here don’t like lane changes and drive by shootings :) 

Im going to pretend to work for an hour.  Let’s chat later.  Why can’t we do Q and A w coaches?  Podcast maybe?  Articles on teams…  we may be a mix of fans here and are here for various reasons… but the main theme is still HSFB right?  :) 

56 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I get a little miffed when folks seem to be discouraging others from entering the conversations or talking about teams not generally recognized as powers. 

Most of the Florida posters (well a couple) just leach off STA and Miami/Dade/Broward....they are easy to spot.

There should be a Leach Forum. 😀