Huge Florida HSFB news

Ga96

On 2/28/2022 at 5:44 PM, Ga96 said:

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2022/02/28/big-changes-coming-to-high-school-football-in-florida/

Some coaches already pissed about this. Screwing over south florida like they ghsa screwed over south georgia.

Except that the Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando areas aren't south Florida.  "Some coaches" is a very vague number and I'd be willing to bet that "some coaches" would not be happy if the sun rises tomorrow.

Funny, there are more non-metro Atlanta schools than there are metro Atlanta schools.  Pretty hard for for the minority numerically to "screw over" the numerical majority.  Just because *you* don't like something doesn't mean the feeling is universal.

This seems like a bad idea for the rural parts of Florida. Kids want to be noticed now. They want to be seen in Under the Radar videos. They want to go to the high profile programs. They want to get a full scholarship to college. This new division of FL schools seems like it will drive more of the talented kids to STA, MC, AHP, etc. for that exposure. 

10 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

This seems like a bad idea for the rural parts of Florida. Kids want to be noticed now. They want to be seen in Under the Radar videos. They want to go to the high profile programs. They want to get a full scholarship to college. This new division of FL schools seems like it will drive more of the talented kids to STA, MC, AHP, etc. for that exposure. 

Just playing devils advocate...

Might it force the exposure to go to them? 

The real talent, the under the radars will tuuurn up maaan at their game, because that's their job. 

It's the intermediate kids that will suffer if they aren't on a team with some of the real talents. That happens in any area it seems like to me. 

• Like 1

Jason Taylor (STA DC and Dolphins great) has taken an off the field job with the U.  
I met him briefly at a superb Brazilian steakhouse called Chima.  They were having a big boy dinner with Dolphins linemen only.  My guess a rookie got the tab lol.  They were visiting NE that Sunday ahead and I asked him if they were going to win and he said emphatically yes.  Now I have to check past Foxboro games vs  Dolphins… and if there is a win what freaking year did I see him 😂 

GSB had a Q and A last night with this theme discussed (also the horrific and disgustingly low stipend FL coaches make). 

Not sure if the GA or FL brethren new that Coach Dubuc (Cardinal Gibbons, FL) interviewed for the Colquitt County HC position.   I thought that was interesting.  Calhoun was a former OC and I’m sure had the pole position for the interview process.   

7 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

GSB had a Q and A last night with this theme discussed (also the horrific and disgustingly low stipend FL coaches make). 

Not sure if the GA or FL brethren new that Coach Dubuc (Cardinal Gibbons, FL) interviewed for the Colquitt County HC position.   I thought that was interesting.  Calhoun was a former OC and I’m sure had the pole position for the interview process.   

We knew DuBuc interviewed at Colquitt. Also knew he didn't log onto this site and spam GSBs link. 

I bet that wasn't mentioned on any fucking podcast now was it?. 

Hell, Jeffhawgoneit the gap toothed mod would have actually asked that question. That's probably why they make up questions that he supposedly asked than actually let him ask one. Right? xD

• Haha 3

Anyway, just spitballing because I wasn't in the room for the interview and all, but, Colquitt has tried a private school coach from Florida before and learned they don't necessarily fit just right in a school where you can't actively recruit talent.  It's an entirely different can of worms fielding a good team year in and year out in the public school setting in Georgia. Especially in region 1. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Anyway, just spitballing because I wasn't in the room for the interview and all, but, Colquitt has tried a private school coach from Florida before and learned they don't necessarily fit just right in a school where you can't actively recruit talent.  It's an entirely different can of worms fielding a good team year in and year out in the public school setting in Georgia. Especially in region 1. 

No questions from the esteemed forum or suggestion box :).   It was their best effort.   They had the head coach of Winter Haven, FL  James Thomson on and I pretty much agreed 100 pct with his pov.   He coached in GA and came back to coach in FL to be near his family... but will be back in GA likely if the FL coaching stipend doesn't improve drastically.  

There was also a media guy from FL on, who didn't want his face shown... so a dark screen for one guest.   It wasn't Josh Wilson from the FL site we know.  

My guess regarding the larger class in urban FL will be 7A-8A combined... so STA will likely have teams like Columbus, Homestead and Palmetto in Miami Dade County,  Dillard, Western, Miramar and Deerfield Beach in Broward County, Palm Beach Cenrtal in Palm Beach County ...  and out of region schools  Tampa Bay Tech, Bucholz, Edgewater, Apopka, Seminole and West Orange.   Venice has petitioned to play in the metro (more competitive) group, which if approved would likely place them in this group of schools to compete for a state title.   

Districts and alignment has not been setup... this is just a guess of mine assuming 7A/8A combined as largest Urban class for 2022.   Schools like Chaminade Madonna, MNW, MC, AHP and Cardinal Gibbons (Coach Dubuc, the real one lol) will be interesting to see how they are aligned.    

A good coach will win anywhere... parents/recruits don't flock to a name, they flock to a HC and a quality college type run system.  Coach Dubuc fills that void well.   It's a shame even private school HC's are looking to leave FL for better pay it seems for the right marquee HC position like CC.  But it sure makes sense for the better public school HC's to move to GA and AL for better $.   There is a reason why SoFL also has many transfers... lack of quality coaching and also many HC's leave in a short stint, leaving recruits interested to move on and search for a better system to learn with.   It's not always playing time.  It's learning time also.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

No questions from the esteemed forum or suggestion box :).   It was their best effort.   They had the head coach of Winter Haven, FL  James Thomson on and I pretty much agreed 100 pct with his pov.   He coached in GA and came back to coach in FL to be near his family... but will be back in GA likely if the FL coaching stipend doesn't improve drastically.  

There was also a media guy from FL on, who didn't want his face shown... so a dark screen for one guest.   It wasn't Josh Wilson from the FL site we know.  

My guess regarding the larger class in urban FL will be 7A-8A combined... so STA will likely have teams like Columbus, Homestead and Palmetto in Miami Dade County,  Dillard, Western, Miramar and Deerfield Beach in Broward County, Palm Beach Cenrtal in Palm Beach County ...  and out of region schools  Tampa Bay Tech, Bucholz, Edgewater, Apopka, Seminole and West Orange.   Venice has petitioned to play in the metro (more competitive) group, which if approved would likely place them in this group of schools to compete for a state title.   

Districts and alignment has not been setup... this is just a guess of mine assuming 7A/8A combined as largest Urban class for 2022.   Schools like Chaminade Madonna, MNW, MC, AHP and Cardinal Gibbons (Coach Dubuc, the real one lol) will be interesting to see how they are aligned.    

A good coach will win anywhere... parents/recruits don't flock to a name, they flock to a HC and a quality college type run system.  Coach Dubuc fills that void well.   It's a shame even private school HC's are looking to leave FL for better pay it seems for the right marquee HC position like CC.  But it sure makes sense for the better public school HC's to move to GA and AL for better $.   There is a reason why SoFL also has many transfers... lack of quality coaching and also many HC's leave in a short stint, leaving recruits interested to move on and search for a better system to learn with.   It's not always playing time.  It's learning time also.  

Tim Cokely racked up wins and 6 state titles in Florida and suckered Colquitt into a hire. Destroyed the program here in less than 2 years.

I'm not saying DuBuc is the same or would be, but, it's also difficult to say he wouldn't be. 

I do agree that Florida coaches should he paid better. I assume it's a complicated issue that could turn into a political discussion once it really gets delved into. Probably goes back to taxes, the state not pulling in an income tax and other variables. 

Extracurricular activities enrich the educational experience and in many cases make better and more well rounded students and it's a shame the department of education in Florida doesn't concentrate more on that area. Clearly not enough will among the aging population and transplants in Florida. 

https://floridahsfootball.com/2022/03/09/fhsaa-releases-new-district-and-region-classification-assignments-for-2022-2023/

Just saw that the FHSAA did align the districts/region classes for 22 and 23.  
I was a tad off with STA.  They are not in the largest class, but will have Jesuit in their class, along with some schools listed above.   The most interesting class by far is 2.  
AHP, Cardinal Gibbons, Miami Central, MNW and BTW (Ice is back)  vying for a state title.  Bolles is also in this class.  

5667AA19-A92D-4B75-99AC-6FB47829D261.jpeg

2 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Geez... you might need more tourists or folks moving into your state😂

The coaching stipend in FL is brutal.   In season, they’re making 2 dollars an hour or less depending on how much weekend commitment they put in.  

You have to really love coaching in FL and/or have family in the area to hold you in a specific area.  
If a coach is comfortable financially with supplemental income from teaching or other field and/or a spouse income is helping significantly… then coaching in an athletically gifted environment with warm weather all year round doesn’t suck. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Golf , I’ve been on these forums for 12 + years so know the coaching & pay per state from good folks like you. 😀

How’s the pay at the OH publics and I assume that the powerhouse private schools pay well?  GA, TX, FL, some Cali and NJ I recall being brought up, but I don’t recall OH being mentioned.  AL seems to be good as well as SC with public schools as FL coaches migrate to these states also for better 💰.  

@Woodersonany idea on the salaries of the upper tier coaches in Zona?  Competitive?   Also, fyi… caught this tweet earlier today.  

33 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

How’s the pay at the OH publics and I assume that the powerhouse private schools pay well?  GA, TX, FL, some Cali and NJ I recall being brought up, but I don’t recall OH being mentioned.  AL seems to be good as well as SC with public schools as FL coaches migrate to these states also for better 💰.  

@Woodersonany idea on the salaries of the upper tier coaches in Zona?  Competitive?   Also, fyi… caught this tweet earlier today.  

From a quote at the Players Championship “ better than most!” 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

From a quote at the Players Championship “ better than most!” 

Nicely played.  :)   
That’s a like and laugh combo.  

Ever play the course?  I haven’t.   Of course the 17th would be a blast (and splash lol).  Just hitting anywhere on the dance floor would be a cherished moment on the first go.  

7 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Nicely played.  :)   
That’s a like and laugh combo.  

Ever play the course?  I haven’t.   Of course the 17th would be a blast (and splash lol).  Just hitting anywhere on the dance floor would be a cherished moment on the first go.  

One time, I parred it.

played PGA National 5 times, Bay Hill once 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I don't know specifics on figures but it is my understanding that (not surprisingly) the Chandler schools are among the best compensated in the state. Around Phoenix metro it's a mixed bag that is driven by the hiring practices of individual districts; Phoenix Union is known as having the highest teacher salaries statewide (coaching is a secondary role here; districts don't pay living wages to coach so you'll either have a full slate of classes or a day job with a lot of flexibility) but are notorious for cronyism for open spots (as teacher/HC you'll be taken care of, but your assistant pool is going to be really driven by the number of "your guys" who are with you regardless of an on-campus job at the high school). Scottsdale and Paradise Valley schools have similar quirks (I think it's PV that requires all open teaching spots to be filled by guys already on campus, i.e. if a guy who teaches math decides he wants to be a gym teacher he gets his shot at that before the prospective football coach from another school; in Scottsdale I recall Mohns has only been an on-campus teacher past two or three years).

Rural districts here like Holbrook are generally a disaster for competitive pay; Wickenburg had an alum that had early success as HC walk because he could make more as a construction foreman, and St. John's had a guy walk after one season for a job in the Midwest few years back. Those are both traditional football schools so I can't imagine the scenario at Holbrook (traditional basketball school; Mike Budenholzer is from Holbrook) is decidedly better.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

One time, I parred it.

played PGA National 5 times, Bay Hill once 

Sweet.  I played Bay Hill numerous times on Links golf (great game I enjoyed playing years back) and last week on Ultimate Golf app :)  

I never had the pleasure of playing on a famous course, which is a bummer.  But I have played multiple rounds in Poland and Germany.  I missed out playing with a Swiss friend on a private club course in the Zurich area, but Mother Nature didn’t want us playing that day.  

I had one fun day in Germany years back.  I was with family in Berlin and the company I was working for was doing a golf outing with some business partners in Cologne.  They asked me to attend and I couldn’t refuse.  :)   So I booked a discount airliner GermanWings and flew early to Düsseldorf and after the round and a nice bratwurst meal and a few 🍻, flight back to Berlin in the evening to family.   Great day.  

• Like 1