Chandler scrimmaged Peoria Centennial today

golfaddict1

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Would you be saying that if it was Chandler playing STA, because frankly Chandler didn't do much to separate themselves from Centennial last night.  Their first-team D looked nasty for one set of downs before leveling out, and any momentum their offense exhibited got checked by turnover issues.  

Honestly Sort of.  I'd be expecting 2 scores over Chandler.   But, that's only my opinion and anythig can happen in HSFB.

• Like 1

I want Wooderson to negotiate with North Korea... ;)

Gotta dig his passion.  Zona has some nice games and can certainly move up the Calpreps state scale rankings with a nice showing. 

I enjoy reading from the locals who do know more than Spiewalk, DeMoney and Halley (MaxPreps, PrepNation, USA Yesterday).   We know Wooderson despises that writer, similar to the NJ guys with Cooper, SoCal with Sondheimer and at times Blustein in my neck of the woods.   They all have the passion but weak homework, homerism, overall fluff, etc can make some reading a nice comedy.    We have  GSB in NJ, Wooderson in Zona... great local reads here.   Imo, a forum poll would better any individual poll going and match or better the comp poll.   We are self sufficient here lol.  

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I want Wooderson to negotiate with North Korea... ;)

Gotta dig his passion.  Zona has some nice games and can certainly move up the Calpreps state scale rankings with a nice showing. 

I enjoy reading from the locals who do know more than Spiewalk, DeMoney and Halley (MaxPreps, PrepNation, USA Yesterday).   We know Wooderson despises that writer, similar to the NJ guys with Cooper, SoCal with Sondheimer and at times Blustein in my neck of the woods.   They all have the passion but weak homework, homerism, overall fluff, etc can make some reading a nice comedy.    We have  GSB in NJ, Wooderson in Zona... great local reads here.   Imo, a forum poll would better any individual poll going and match or better the comp poll.   We are self sufficient here lol.  

Are you still on the Saguaro bandwagon?

2 hours ago, 954gator said:

Honestly Sort of.  I'd be expecting 2 scores over Chandler.   But, that's only my opinion and anythig can happen in HSFB.

And I can respect that because it's consistent-I'm not expecting someone from across the country to fall over in reverence of Centennial football or even Arizona football. What's not consistent is elevating one program over other elite programs in the same state there's nothing but media conjecture to support it. My point isn't that people should expect Centennial to beat STA or even make a game of it, only that if you're going to make a statement one way or the other that it's coming from a place of legitimate subject matter knowledge versus repeating what others write or calling out the obvious.

2 hours ago, aZjimbo said:

Are you still on the Saguaro bandwagon?

:) .   Per "Dick" Obert,  Michael Maafu 6'3" 260 lb DT transferred from Phoenix Arcadia and is eligible right away because he did not participate in football last year.   He was on the national Rugby team.   I checked and he had football stats as a soph, so he's not completely raw.    He has a brother Alani on Saguaro, who Dick refers to as a stud.   Alani is just a freshman.  

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

And I can respect that because it's consistent-I'm not expecting someone from across the country to fall over in reverence of Centennial football or even Arizona football. What's not consistent is elevating one program over other elite programs in the same state there's nothing but media conjecture to support it. My point isn't that people should expect Centennial to beat STA or even make a game of it, only that if you're going to make a statement one way or the other that it's coming from a place of legitimate subject matter knowledge versus repeating what others write or calling out the obvious.

I have been impressed with AZ football of late for sure.   Chandler, MP, etc and I remember thinking Hamilton was a beast team a few years back.   It's harder for me to get the full grasp of 5A(Centennial/Williams Field) and 4A (Saguaro) though since there were so few crossover games with the top 6A teams.   

I'd be interested in your opinion of these three teams from last year, and how you'd place them.   6A Mount Point, 5A Williams Field, 4A Saguaro...In what order would you rank them?   Without knowing as much local game info, I'd tend to give MP the edge due to the level of competition (but then again my perspective of the competition may be very flawed). 

@wooderson also as to the 2 score favorite, I would honestly expect STA to be a 2 score favorite over most top schools, save a select few "super" teams.    Like I said before it doesn't always turn out that way, as I (like many others) expected STA to be 2 scores better than both DBP teams they played.    It's by no means disrespect, but STA should really be a 2 score favorite over just about any team that isn't super stacked with talent.    BUT...expectations and reality are not always the same!

46 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I have been impressed with AZ football of late for sure.   Chandler, MP, etc and I remember thinking Hamilton was a beast team a few years back.   It's harder for me to get the full grasp of 5A(Centennial/Williams Field) and 4A (Saguaro) though since there were so few crossover games with the top 6A teams.   

I'd be interested in your opinion of these three teams from last year, and how you'd place them.   6A Mount Point, 5A Williams Field, 4A Saguaro...In what order would you rank them?   Without knowing as much local game info, I'd tend to give MP the edge due to the level of competition (but then again my perspective of the competition may be very flawed). 

1- MP

2-Saguaro

3- WF

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 954gator said:

In order...Mountain Pointe, Williams Field, Saguaro.

I've been pretty consistent in my stance that Saguaro wasn't one of the four best teams in Arizona last year and still believe that to be true.  I see Mountain Pointe as #1B to Chandler's #1A, as exhibited by their split with the state champs and the dominant fashion in which they won the first game.  Williams Field had a thin resume but the win over Centennial earned them a seat at the table; apart from that I think a legit argument exists for them having the best receiving corps in the state (led by two 1000-yard receivers in Stokes and Fine), the state's best kicking game (Brandon Ruiz was 'Bama-bound before deciding to stay at home), and the state's best back seven.  That deserves recognition, and the fact is their best win (Centennial) was a team that did have a common opponent with Chandler and Mountain Pointe and quite possibly had the most one-sided win over that opponent (Mountain Pointe had a 28-20 halftime lead versus Pinnacle before pulling away, Chandler was trailing 16-10 to Pinnacle at the half before rallying, while Centennial had a 42-10 halftime lead and eased into a 56-25 win).

Then we have Saguaro, a team who's two best wins of the year were a pair of out-of-state losses to three- and four-loss teams and who's best in-state win was against a Salpointe team that got smoked like a pack of Kools to a Cienega team that in turn got curb-stomped by Centennial.  Did Saguaro have a lot of talent in 2016?  Yes they did, but they had just as much in 2015 when they had a Wisconsin-bound QB, a state POY at receiver/corner, a Boise State commit at the other receiver spot, and the QB's 300-pound "little" brother that would play his senior year in Madison and merely be named Wisconsin's POY in 2016.  And that team got chewed-up by Centennial and Pinnacle (with a freshman quarterback starting his second varsity game for a 6-6 ballclub) and struggled with a series of larger enrollment schools that have gone decades without any sense of relevance in the state, if they were ever relevant to begin with (Apollo, Mountain Ridge, O'Connor).  Until they handle their business against other elite Arizona programs they have no business in the same conversation as Chandler, Mountain Pointe, Centennial, or any other team that proves their mettle against those squads.  

• Like 1