LBP drops JV football

Ararar

Long Beach Poly, one of the premier public school football programs in California, has dropped its junior varsity team because of low numbers, the Press-Telegram reported.

“The last three years our number has consistently gone down, and we’ve had enrollment issues,” Poly coach Antonio Pierce told the newspaper. “Six years ago when my son enrolled, they had 130 freshmen in that class, and we haven’t had close to that number since.”

This development isn't going to go over well among Poly alumni. And Poly coaches haven't been happy with new enrollment procedures in the Long Beach Unified School District.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Long Beach Poly, one of the premier public school football programs in California, has dropped its junior varsity team because of low numbers, the Press-Telegram reported.

“The last three years our number has consistently gone down, and we’ve had enrollment issues,” Poly coach Antonio Pierce told the newspaper. “Six years ago when my son enrolled, they had 130 freshmen in that class, and we haven’t had close to that number since.”

This development isn't going to go over well among Poly alumni. And Poly coaches haven't been happy with new enrollment procedures in the Long Beach Unified School District.

That's mind-boggling.  The enrollment is over 4000 students!  That's a testament to how poor the coaching staff has been.  No one wants to play for them.  My alma mater has been getting close to 100 kids coming out for the freshmen team for nearly the last decade and that enrollment is only about 2600.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cal 14 said:

That's mind-boggling.  The enrollment is over 4000 students!  That's a testament to how poor the coaching staff has been.  No one wants to play for them.  My alma mater has been getting close to 100 kids coming out for the freshmen team for nearly the last decade and that enrollment is only about 2600.

If you read the link to the Press Telegram Piece says because the LBP school district has changed the enrollment procedure kids that live across the street can't get in to LBP

My sons school won't have a freshman football team this year for the first time ever. They only had 27 freshman-sophomore comeout for football. 1700 enrollment. Talked to coach tonight and he said kids just aren't playing sports as much. They're playing video games and snap chat instead. 

The entire league didn't field freshman baseball teams last year either. 

This actually started years ago when the area was redistricted. Prior to that, kids from Lakewood had more access to either LBP or Lakewood HS which also fielded some pretty good teams. They mostly did not want to attend other than those two schools. After the re-dis, access to the schools changed and Lakewood got fewer of the better athletes who now had more freedom to become available to SJB who up to that point was mostly an average to below average team. Lakewood HS football was never the same after that and Poly, though less affected,  paid a price also. Bosco started getting the players which was the catalyst for the massive recruiting machine they have developed over the years.

34 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Shouldn't affect their varsity much. They will just plug in junior and senior transfers as usual.

LB school district has a mandatory 1 year sit out for any transfer from within the school district so yeah if you can get some high profile transfers from out of LB like they did this year they will be fine but I don't see that happening much

12 hours ago, Cal 14 said:

Allen, TX is close to 6500 enrollment and has like 3-4? JV teams...How can a school of 4000 not have at least 40-50 kids suit up???

15 hours ago, Ararar said:

If you read the link to the Press Telegram Piece says because the LBP school district has changed the enrollment procedure kids that live across the street can't get in to LBP

I see no relevance.  Did the enrollment drop below 4K?  Either the coaches motivate the kids to come out to play or they don't.