Institutionalized by Covid-19

Editor

publicserviceannouncementcoverimage.thumb.png.4dc4442b56ad3d063853e1ff79907ef7.png

By @Socialdamus

After dealing with the confines of the Covid-19 pandemic black people started acting really "weird" - it reminds me of how my uncle acted after being in prison for 15 years. 

Low self esteem, anxious, paranoid, aggressive and not very trusting of others - he acts as if he is still in prison - my auntie said he had been in prison too long - and that he had become institutionalized. #InstitutionalSyndrome

That's how black people are acting now - like former inmates who still feel incarcerated - and because of that they are creating a prison environment to accommodate themselves.  

While at the same time - they are Socially and Mentally distancing themselves from each other as if their shared feeling of incarceration brings about a shared feeling of shame. 

I fear their homes and apartments will become their "prison cells" and socializing will only be done via the internet.  

And if they fully adopt the work from home , home schooling & online ordering of food and clothing alternatives.

They will slowly disappear from public life all together ... 

What is Institutional Syndrome ?

• Editor changed the title to Institutionalized by Covid-19